Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I miss Basil Poledouris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I miss Basil Poledouris

Creator of the best soundtrack ever: Conan the Barbarian. Don't @ me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

dont even fink about it posted:

I can't help myself, I enjoyed the first Constantine movie even though it meandered aimlessly for a while.

Constantine was a fine movie as long as you didn't get hung up on the fact that its connections to the comic were tenuous at best. Tilda Swinton and Peter Stormare were perfectly cast.

Electromax posted:

More like if Disney said 'hey PotC is over but we're starting a new Wacky Pirates franchise with a quirky leading actor, can you come up with a bunch of new stuff for this very similar content to what you already did for a decade?'

Just get the guy who did the music for the Monkey Island games.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I miss Basil Poledouris

Best movie opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prpdKVHt9Uw

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Chairman Capone posted:

Just get the guy who did the music for the Monkey Island games.

Better yet, Disney owns the Monkey Island license now, so just make those movies. I keep reaching out to my Disney Imagineer contacts to try and get a Guybrush animatronic added to the background of the PotC ride, but no luck so far :(

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

When I sing along to this I have no idea how hideous I must sound to anybody who can actually speak or understand Russian. I googled the lyrics, that's pretty much the same as knowing Russian right?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yo CelticPredator, you ever hear Gregson's MGS2 and 3 scores?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

scuba school sucks posted:

When I sing along to this I have no idea how hideous I must sound to anybody who can actually speak or understand Russian. I googled the lyrics, that's pretty much the same as knowing Russian right?

I learned Russian in 1997 and was able to speak it conversationally up until maybe three or four years ago when I just fell out of practice, and I'm convinced I always sounded hideous to native speakers. It's such a bizarrely brutal language with so little use of articles and prepositions. We say, "Would you go to the store?" In Russian, it basically translates to a command, "Go store."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

I learned Russian in 1997 and was able to speak it conversationally up until maybe three or four years ago when I just fell out of practice, and I'm convinced I always sounded hideous to native speakers. It's such a bizarrely brutal language with so little use of articles and prepositions. We say, "Would you go to the store?" In Russian, it basically translates to a command, "Go store."

They must think English is so flowery and unwieldy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
That's really interesting given the vast amounts of amazing literature they've produced.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snowman_McK posted:

That's really interesting given the vast amounts of amazing literature they've produced.

Most translations of Russian literature are not 100 percent literal (much like Latin -- pretty much every translation of a famous Latin work like The Aeneid has the author's own embellishments and additions to make it flow better).

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 18, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Warner Brothers just announced that they have started pre-production on a reboot of The Matrix.

One of the co-writers of the original X-Men will do a first-pass script treatment.

WB is looking at Michael B. Jordan to star.

The Wachowski's are not involved.

Looking for a late 2018 or early 2019 release date.

"Headlines I didn't expect to read today for $500, Alex."

:psyduck:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...medium=referral

It's actually not a reboot, but either sequel or prequel.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Creator of the best soundtrack ever: Conan the Barbarian. Don't @ me.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think we've told all the stories we can out of the Matrix universe. A reboot would make sense, if ill-advised, but at least they'd get a second shot at the sequels which can only be an improvement.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

I think we've told all the stories we can out of the Matrix universe. A reboot would make sense, if ill-advised, but at least they'd get a second shot at the sequels which can only be an improvement.

Maybe I'm just cynical but I feel they could get way, way worse.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The saddest part about this composer talk is that despite all this work and effort, I couldn't hum to you a single piece of music from any of the Batman movies, or even remember a scene that was particularly enhanced by music. In fact the only time I can think of where the music made the scene more effective was in Amazing Spider-man 2, and I'm sure anyone thats seen it knows which scene I'm talking about (Electro fight)

Jimbot posted:

A sequel would totally work. Why wouldn't it? It's already established that Neo is in the 6th or 7th iteration of the Matrix.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The saddest part about this composer talk is that despite all this work and effort, I couldn't hum to you a single piece of music from any of the Batman movies, or even remember a scene that was particularly enhanced by music.

The only cues I remember are the one from the car chase in Begins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZst_2xJHAI

And the weird atonal string motif used for the Joker in The Dark Knight.

I really liked the quieter parts that Newton Howard contributed to the Begins and Dark Knight scores and felt his presence was really missed on the Rises score. But, yeah, in general those Nolan scores are pretty unremarkable, relying entirely too heavily on that two-note motif. I remember back in like 2005 or 2006 I took action cues from Begins (the one I linked above), Gladiator, The Rock, Crimson Tide and one other movie, I forget which, and just cross-faded between them and cut together like a six-minute mashup. It was impossible to tell one score from another, they all just blended together.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 18, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Scyantific posted:

There's a rumor going around right now that Goyer himself is directing the GL movie.

Regardless if the rumor is true or not, I find pretty interesting that GLC should be deeper into pre production than we suppose if WB is seriously considering releasing it next year.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Thats not The Pest

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The best batman music was prince, or seal maybe, but choose prince or I will partyman all over your arse.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I remember Wonder Woman's theme and nothing else from the non-Burton Batmans. Then again, I was <10 years old for the Burtons, and I can also sing all the lyrics to pop songs from when I was 8 even if I hate them now. I'm not so sure a given song's level of Earworm is a measure of quality.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but I feel like most people don't actually remember the Wonder Woman theme, they just remember the first four seconds of the Wonder Woman theme with the bass riff from the trailers and her intro in BvS.

I also firmly believe that 99% of people don't remember 99% of movie scores. Even well done movie scores in good movies. The most memorable scores are all pop culture icons that have been repeated for years or the 1% of the very best or very worst.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Wonder Woman's theme is very memorable, but also very terrible, but also hilarious. It's like a drat punchline. It reminds me of the mysterious music cue from Arrested Development.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

What's it like to not have an imagination?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Whenever I start trying to remember the Wonder Woman theme my brain just segues seamlessly into Immigrant Song.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WW is an immigrant, after all. Batman must be so relieved he gets to recruit fellow Americans Cyborg and Flash. I guess Aquaman is also an American who became an immigrant in Atlantis. That's why his half brother Ocean Master hates him. An immigrant taking his job (as King of Atlantis).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yo CelticPredator, you ever hear Gregson's MGS2 and 3 scores?

Negative. But I'll check em out!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

Negative. But I'll check em out!

OH

WHAT A THRILL

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hold on here, Snake Eater was written by Norihiko Hibino as a 60's James Bond spoof/homage.

Detective No. 27 was probably talking about Harry Gregson William's MGS2 and MGS3 versions of the main Metal Gear Solid 1 theme, Williams being a protege of Hans Zimmer.

HGW's MGS2 theme is orchestrated to be a techno thriller, the game having a lot of cyber-warfare themes.

HGW's MGS3 version dials back the electronics and emphasizes orchestral instruments in keeping with the cold war theme.

Both are remixes of the original theme to Metal Gear Solid 1, a very 90's synth-heavy tune by "Tappy" Iwase.

However, MGS4 de-emphasizes the MGS theme because it was discovered that Tappy ripped off the tune from Georgy Sviridov's Snow Storm: Winter Road which was published 1975. IIRC, the MGS theme only shows up briefly in MGS4 as a leitmotif during the finale fist fight, although there appears to be a full MGS4 version of the theme on the soundtrack. Instead, they emphasized Old Snake as the main them of MGS4, a new song by Williams.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The saddest part about this composer talk is that despite all this work and effort, I couldn't hum to you a single piece of music from any of the Batman movies, or even remember a scene that was particularly enhanced by music. In fact the only time I can think of where the music made the scene more effective was in Amazing Spider-man 2, and I'm sure anyone thats seen it knows which scene I'm talking about (Electro fight)

Zimmer is kinda frustrating because he has amazing potential but a lot of times him making quality work depends on whether he's feeling inspired or not. It seems that he gets inspired more often than not when working with Nolan, and if that's the case I'm all for him sticking to more Nolan films.

Here's a good example of Zimmer's good stuff that some other goon pointed out a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adARIo3jaxA

At about 1:04, you can hear massive drums as Batman starts punching Bane in the face. As soon as Bane's mask breaks (1:18), the drums fade away, symbolizing that Bane is losing his strength. As soon has Bane regains his composure and starts pounding the gently caress out of Batman, the drums come back. It's a very subtle way of emphasizing Bane's mental state during the fight, and subtly influencing the audience to feel what Bane feels. When the drums go away, the audience doesn't just visually feel that Bane is getting weaker, they feel with their ears that Bane is getting weaker, and when Bane gets his strength back, the audience doesn't just see it, they hear it in the drums. It's brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs

Here's another great one from Inception. One of the big gimmicks of the movie is that the characters are jumping from one reality that has its own time to other realities that have their own different times. This is communicated in The Dream is Collapsing because the first 94 seconds are moving at a tempo where the strings are playing very fast notes and the horns are blowing slow notes. When it hits the climax at 95 seconds, it switches to a new tempo where the strings are playing half as fast and suddenly the horns are playing twice as fast as before. The song switches to a new timeline with a different clock just like the characters jump to new timelines with a different clock.

Despite being clever, I do agree that Zimmer's stuff isn't very hummable. Most of the new artists over the last couple decades have been de-emphasizing melodies and instead emphasizing "textures." There's a pretty good video by Tony Zhou where he blames a lot of it on an over-reliance on temp music, and a counter-argument that says temp music isn't really to blame because composers have been using temp music since forever. Whatever the cause is, we're stuck in a trend where most movie music has unintelligible melody and I'm personally not a fan of it. Gimme a Superman tune that I can hum, a hummable Star Wars theme, a hummable ET theme to make me cry! Hell, even if it's not exactly hummable, gimme some songs with clear melodies that I can easily follow along with my ears!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 18, 2017

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Zimmer's a great important, composer but you're definitely right that he favours textures over writing a big juicy leitmotif. I think he's chosen for this exact reason. His little studio team is responsible for the Inception 'bass tone as music' thing that has made so many waves in the last decade. If you want leitmotif, get John Williams or Giacchino onboard.

Also, check out the extra's stage fighting from that clip, when Batman & Bane are going up the stairs. yeesh.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

A sequel would totally work. Why wouldn't it? It's already established that Neo is in the 6th or 7th iteration of the Matrix.

Prrrrrrrrequels! I could see them doing Morpheus: Origins, or a movie about the first Matrix, or a Second Renaissance adaptation, or Agent Smith: Origins, or one of umpty-ump other stories potentially taking place before the original movie. Origin stories for everyone, every iteration of the Matrix getting its own movie!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Grendels Dad posted:

Origin stories for everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46HoYNbcBLI

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Klungar posted:

Better yet, Disney owns the Monkey Island license now, so just make those movies. I keep reaching out to my Disney Imagineer contacts to try and get a Guybrush animatronic added to the background of the PotC ride, but no luck so far :(

Isn't pirates of the Caribbean like a less funny action orientated version of monkey Island anyway?

Well, before it got all grimdark from the sequels onwards.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kin posted:

Isn't pirates of the Caribbean like a less funny action orientated version of monkey Island anyway?

Very much so, especially the first two movies -- Barbossa's curse and overall appearance is inspired by LeChuck, Will and Elizabeth by Guybrush and Elaine, Tia Dalma by the Voodoo Lady, even the pirate town made from pieces of wrecked ships is straight from Monkey Island 2. Ted Elliott, who wrote the first few movies with Terry Rossio, was developing a Monkey Island movie script for Spielberg before the project was scrapped, so it's pretty clear he recycled a bunch of his work when he was hired to rewrite Curse of the Black Pearl.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 18, 2017

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Steve Yun posted:

Despite being clever, I do agree that Zimmer's stuff isn't very hummable. Most of the new artists over the last couple decades have been de-emphasizing melodies and instead emphasizing "textures." There's a pretty good video by Tony Zhou where he blames a lot of it on an over-reliance on temp music, and a counter-argument that says temp music isn't really to blame because composers have been using temp music since forever. Whatever the cause is, we're stuck in a trend where most movie music has unintelligible melody and I'm personally not a fan of it. Gimme a Superman tune that I can hum, a hummable Star Wars theme, a hummable ET theme to make me cry! Hell, even if it's not exactly hummable, gimme some songs with clear melodies that I can easily follow along with my ears!

I almost feel like Michael Giacchino watched that Tony Zhou video before composing the Doctor Strange soundtrack* because it uses the same theme over and over again. Is it still a leifmotif if that's the only motif you've got?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc0KNrpFka8

*Technically not possible because there was a month between the video and the movie's release.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 18, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mierenneuker posted:

I feel like Michael Giacchino watched that Tony Zhou video before composing the Doctor Strange soundtrack because it uses the same theme over and over again. Is it still a leifmotif if that's the only motif you've got?

Over the past few years, I've steadily come to believe that Giacchino has a habit of taking on too many projects at once, resulting in at least one of them suffering. Last year alone, he did Zootopia, Star Trek Beyond, Rogue One and Doctor Strange, and both of the latter scores are incredibly bland. The year before that, it was (I think) Jurassic World, Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, and Inside Out, with Jurassic World being the wet fart of the group. 2011, there was Mission Impossible 4, Super 8, Cars 2 and at least one or two more, and I can't remember a thing about the Ghost Protocol score. Even his work on Star Trek '09 is horribly uninspired, as it's mostly the same hero theme played over and over and over again, just at different tempos.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Hold on here, Snake Eater was written by Norihiko Hibino as a 60's James Bond spoof/homage.

Detective No. 27 was probably talking about Harry Gregson William's MGS2 and MGS3 versions of the main Metal Gear Solid 1 theme, Williams being a protege of Hans Zimmer.

HGW's MGS2 theme is orchestrated to be a techno thriller, the game having a lot of cyber-warfare themes.

HGW's MGS3 version dials back the electronics and emphasizes orchestral instruments in keeping with the cold war theme.

Both are remixes of the original theme to Metal Gear Solid 1, a very 90's synth-heavy tune by "Tappy" Iwase.

However, MGS4 de-emphasizes the MGS theme because it was discovered that Tappy ripped off the tune from Georgy Sviridov's Snow Storm: Winter Road which was published 1975. IIRC, the MGS theme only shows up briefly in MGS4 as a leitmotif during the finale fist fight, although there appears to be a full MGS4 version of the theme on the soundtrack. Instead, they emphasized Old Snake as the main them of MGS4, a new song by Williams.

You can't escape the Snake Eater theme when talking about MGS3 music, but I was talking mostly the score. George Weidman sums up how neat the Sneaking Theme is in this little snippet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-jyF987MQ&t=480s

Was it ever confirmed that Tappy plagiarized Sviridov, or was it just an accidental coincidence?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Despite the fact that it was mixed way too loud because Chris Nolan is going deaf, I thought Rises had the best soundtrack of all three.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

You can't escape the Snake Eater theme when talking about MGS3 music, but I was talking mostly the score. George Weidman sums up how neat the Sneaking Theme is in this little snippet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_-jyF987MQ&t=480s

Was it ever confirmed that Tappy plagiarized Sviridov, or was it just an accidental coincidence?

Iirc he claimed it was an unfortunate coincidence but only he really knows. I can never decide whether I like 2 or 3 more. I prefer the music in Snake Eater though, especially the titular/Boss song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Iirc he claimed it was an unfortunate coincidence but only he really knows.

I'm sure it was a "coincidence" like James Horner endlessly lifting passages directly from Prokofiev and Shostakovich.

• Locked thread