Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Trunko posted:

Gay talk, video games, star wars... And now anime. Opening this thread is like a modern day Faustian nightmare

Only The Nerd Crew can save us from this nightmare.

Rich Evans youre our only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
dude a matrix reboot? hell yeah this is what the world needs. I hope people start catching on that WB makes really bad loving movies and decisions and they go bankrupt.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Trunko posted:

Gay talk, video games, star wars... And now anime. Opening this thread is like a modern day Faustian nightmare

i guess you're right. it's pretty hosed up :twisted:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

jyrque posted:

lol ok anime avatar person

drat it I meant the opposite of what I said. Also I only know what Cobra is because of the thread's second favorite topic: video games

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Trunko posted:

I don't see anything wrong with those topics...maybe Star Wars but that's it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DoctorStrangelove posted:

What about Game of Thrones?

It's extremely gay and bad

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I wish I could go back in time 20 years and just put A Game of Thrones back on the shelf at Borders and walk away.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's extremely gay and bad

But it's still anime right?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

powerful sex moves posted:

I wish I could go back in time 20 years and just put A Game of Thrones back on the shelf at Borders and walk away.

As a filthy show only pleb I am super happy with the current situation.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

If there was some way of me knowing back then that 20 years later the series still wouldn't be even close to being finished, I never would've picked up that first book and today I could just be a casual show watcher like everyone else.

I'm glad we'll at least get some kind of conclusion - even if I'm pretty sure it won't be great. I don't know that whatever ending GRRM could've theoretically written would've been all that amazing either though. There's almost no way to successfully pay off that much build up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The next book of GoT will just be one sentence

"Rocks fall and everyone dies"

I don't think the dude could be less interested in finishing the story at his age with all the money he's made.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Who gave a poo poo about an ending to GoT anyway? It was obviously leading up to some dumb good/evil battle and everything cool was wrapped up or forgotten about by the end of book 3 or so.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 18, 2017

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

starkebn posted:

The next book of GoT will just be one sentence

"Rocks fall and everyone dies"

I don't think the dude could be less interested in finishing the story at his age with all the money he's made.

I feel like most people would find wanting to finish their life's work before they die to be a good enough motivator. (lol that his "life's work" is a fantasy series called A Song of Ice and Fire)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GoT is a decent series. S5 is boring as fuuuuuuck though.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Faffel posted:

Who gave a poo poo about an ending of GoT anyway? It was obviously leading up to some dumb good/evil battle and everything cool was wrapped up or forgotten about by the end of book 3 or so.

I mean, you're not wrong about the main overarching plot, but there are still lots of smaller and more interesting plot threads that have yet to come together in the books. Because of how much time has passed though, the internet has pretty well figured out where most of that stuff is going too.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

a bone to pick posted:

dude a matrix reboot? hell yeah this is what the world needs. I hope people start catching on that WB makes really bad loving movies and decisions and they go bankrupt.

I hope these companies keep making billions on emotionally bankrupt nostalgia garbage and nothing original ever gets made again and we live in the woods, worshipping at the idol of jay and mike

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

I hope these companies keep making billions on emotionally bankrupt nostalgia garbage and nothing original ever gets made again

Disney.txt

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

powerful sex moves posted:

I feel like most people would find wanting to finish their life's work before they die to be a good enough motivator. (lol that his "life's work" is a fantasy series called A Song of Ice and Fire)

I think he's resigned to the fact that someone else is going to finish his life's work before his can, and his magnum opus will, at best, be remembered as the book version of that HBO show.

That's what he gets for disappearing up his own rear end and adding so much loving bloat to the original trilogy he had in mind.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Why is A Song of Ice and Fire held in such high esteem by people, anyway? I mean, its okay I guess. But people act like its so brilliant and unique, but the books are pretty much like every other modern fantasy series. The problem is that everyone compares it to Tolkien who had Good vs Evil, so ASoIaF looks more nuanced in comparison. But poo poo, who the gently caress unironically writes about Dark Lords and perfect infallible good guys anymore? I dunno, maybe those are still being written, I actually dont read that much, LOL. But if they are still being written, they dont seem to be as popular. Nowadays everyone brags about how their stories have shades of grey and more complicated conflicts where nobody is pure good or evil, and everythings all gritty and realistic and absolutely no "Dark Lords" or perfect elves. Thats what it seems like, anyway. Somebody correct me if Im wrong.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Malazan is a better fantasy series.
:goonsay:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
*yawns*

*rubs eyes*

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize this was the TBB GoT thread lemmie just....

*looks around*

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
they have to post a new video soon, though. Its been like a week since the last one. We're overdue for another nerd crew

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Blue Star posted:

Why is A Song of Ice and Fire held in such high esteem by people, anyway? I mean, its okay I guess. But people act like its so brilliant and unique, but the books are pretty much like every other modern fantasy series. The problem is that everyone compares it to Tolkien who had Good vs Evil, so ASoIaF looks more nuanced in comparison. But poo poo, who the gently caress unironically writes about Dark Lords and perfect infallible good guys anymore?

game of thrones isn't dark lords and perfect good guys, it's more like realistic medieval politics soap opera in a fantasy world. like there's really no good guys in game of thrones, everyone has at least semi realistic motivations beyond saving the kingdom and being a hero or whatever

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

:a2m:

namaste

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Blue Star posted:

Why is A Song of Ice and Fire held in such high esteem by people, anyway? I mean, its okay I guess. But people act like its so brilliant and unique, but the books are pretty much like every other modern fantasy series. The problem is that everyone compares it to Tolkien who had Good vs Evil, so ASoIaF looks more nuanced in comparison. But poo poo, who the gently caress unironically writes about Dark Lords and perfect infallible good guys anymore? I dunno, maybe those are still being written, I actually dont read that much, LOL. But if they are still being written, they dont seem to be as popular. Nowadays everyone brags about how their stories have shades of grey and more complicated conflicts where nobody is pure good or evil, and everythings all gritty and realistic and absolutely no "Dark Lords" or perfect elves. Thats what it seems like, anyway. Somebody correct me if Im wrong.

Titties + decapitations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The thing I hate most about Disney is the way the "D" in the logo looks like a backwards "G".

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

boner confessor posted:

game of thrones isn't dark lords and perfect good guys, it's more like realistic medieval politics soap opera in a fantasy world. like there's really no good guys in game of thrones, everyone has at least semi realistic motivations beyond saving the kingdom and being a hero or whatever

No loving poo poo. That's pretty much exactly what I just said, LOL

My point is that nowadays, every fantasy writer or wannabe-writer is like "Oh, in MY stories, there's no black and white, everything is grey and complex and everyone thinks THEY'RE the goodd guy whose motivations are pure and just". Thats the vibe I get. Im embarressed to admit this but I havent read a book, fantasy or otherwise, in years. But it seems like everybody tries to distance themselves from Tolkien and NOT make their villains the equivalent of Satan. And if youre a big enough nerd to go read articles on how to become a fantasy writer, you'll see advice thats like "Dont make everything black and white, try to add gritty realism, blah blah blah". So when people are like "Gurm is so brilliant for writing characters that are sometimes chill, sometimes dickheads, and then giving them diarreah from time to time", its weird.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every single thing in the last 10 years is dark flawed anti-heros and groups of REAL PEOPLE with REAL MOTIVATIONS and it's like man everything's shades of gray did you ever think one person's hero is another person's villain? Makes u think.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blue Star posted:

No loving poo poo. That's pretty much exactly what I just said, LOL

My point is that nowadays, every fantasy writer or wannabe-writer is like "Oh, in MY stories, there's no black and white, everything is grey and complex and everyone thinks THEY'RE the goodd guy whose motivations are pure and just". Thats the vibe I get. Im embarressed to admit this but I havent read a book, fantasy or otherwise, in years. But it seems like everybody tries to distance themselves from Tolkien and NOT make their villains the equivalent of Satan. And if youre a big enough nerd to go read articles on how to become a fantasy writer, you'll see advice thats like "Dont make everything black and white, try to add gritty realism, blah blah blah". So when people are like "Gurm is so brilliant for writing characters that are sometimes chill, sometimes dickheads, and then giving them diarreah from time to time", its weird.

Could be worse. At least they're not going all in like Wheel of Time and naming the villain after the devil.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's nothing wrong with an old-fashioned good vs evil story

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Blue Star posted:

Why is A Song of Ice and Fire held in such high esteem by people, anyway?

Because the people who liked Lord of the Rings 15 years ago want to recapture the feelings it gave them, but with more rape and murder.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

People also dig the big "shocking twist" moments where a bunch of named important characters get killed, because that's something that rarely happens in genre fiction.

Usually when the main character dies it's the end of the story, GoT is interesting in that it continues to move along.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Berious posted:

Jesus thread please don't post 60 new posts making me think there is a new video when you are just talking about anime

No! We draw the line here! And no farther!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Let's talk about DS9 in memory of Mike.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Let's talk about DS9 in memory of Mike.

This thread is like that episode of Star Trek...
With the ugly green people that Kirk kills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cqt54sT_Ls

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Blue Star posted:

they have to post a new video soon, though. Its been like a week since the last one. We're overdue for another nerd crew

As an obsessive RLM follower I can tell you with near certainty that nerd crew isn't coming around anytime soon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beDN-q3UcbY
GEORGE LUCAS

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Me? Personally? I loved this video

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Blue Star posted:

GRRM was a big contributor to the modern trend of grimdark fantasy. It's all like that now because he helped make it that way. When AGoT came out it was kind of a revelation because most fantasy before it was PG-13 (tops) and even more formulaic than now. Obviously, reading it now, it doesn't seem as "brilliant and unique." I'm in no way comparing it to Citizen Kane, but it's kind of like if you watched Citizen Kane for the first time today and didn't see what's supposed to be so special about it because you don't know that the reason it looks like so many other movies is because it's the reason all those other movies look that way to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
10 years ago I knew a guy that would prattle on about this amaaaaazing fantasy epic book series and oh it it great you really must read it and he really wanted to loan my the books and I asked him what they were called and it was "game of thrones ice and fire and swords" or whatever and the title alone ticked about three different boxes in my head that said Stay AWAY and so I told him no thanks I did not want to read those books. Haha watta nerd

• Locked thread