Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Lol Danny being a idiot is the best part of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hollismason posted:

I don't know why I mean that's a pretty reasonable stance to take Spoiler Episode 2 Perfectly reasonable for a Doctor to think he is mentally ill and suffering from PTSD

No, it's pretty bullshit. Episode 2 forceably committing someone who isn't posing any threat to others because he claims that he was in a different dimension is pretty heinous. It's like the mildest of delusions and doesn't compare with 1/10th of what the average conspiracy theorist believes. Especially when the guy is originally committed for 72 hours because he keeps claiming to be Danny Rand and you realize he is Danny Rand. Doubly so since you know for a fact the guy is hopped up full of drugs and finally got someone to believe him when he was insisting he was himself. Crazy in and of itself isn't a crime, and Danny was spouting poo poo that is more believable than someone talking about a religion you don't believe in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, have I read the wrong Iron Fist comics or did the producers never read an actual IF comic? I don't remember Danny being so super serious.

Maybe i need to watch more than half the first episode.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

twistedmentat posted:

So, have I read the wrong Iron Fist comics or did the producers never read an actual IF comic? I don't remember Danny being so super serious.

Danny is serious like a 10 year old is serious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gyges posted:

Danny is serious like a 10 year old is serious.

The Danny i'm used to is almost Spider-man levels of goofy. But then that was always with Luke Cage as the straight man.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Comics Danny is a serious dude right up until he learns to let go of his past and his dumb stupid rich person legacy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

NecroMonster posted:

Comics Danny is a serious dude right up until he learns to let go of his past and his dumb stupid rich person legacy.

Okay, so we're still in the before that stage. Got it. I never read any early solo stuff, just the deep 70s Heroes for Hire and the most recent stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

The best run of Iron Fist is actually rather sort of recent which is The Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker which is pretty much the best run and best Iron Fist series ever written. The ones prior were just kind of garbage. He was kind of a throw away joke character known basically because of his association with Luke Cage.

Like he's never had a really amazing series until that series. That's where all the Immortal Weapon stuff comes from. It's a pretty amazing series but it's rather short and it's nothing like the series.

People who say that he was this old well liked well respected character are kind of dumb he wasn't and it wasn't until that series was he respected.

They've actually kind of understate his abilities in the series at least from what I have seen he just has the Iron Fist not mastery of the Chi. In the comics he's loving crazy bad rear end hyponotise people with his hands and heal super fast because of his abilities. He's truly super human in the comics in the series he's just kind of "Hits people hard".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I don't think he got any of the heal fast, hypnotize people with the power of Chi stuff until the Immortal Weapons run. Orson Randall is the one who gave him the lost book of the Iron Fists which taught him all the secrets of the previous Iron Fists. Also the rest of the dragon chi he'd been missing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hollismason posted:

Like he's never had a really amazing series until that series. That's where all the Immortal Weapon stuff comes from. It's a pretty amazing series but it's rather short and it's nothing like the series.

So you're saying there was a series?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
He had all that poo poo before that. He got and cured his cancer well before the Immortal Weapons.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

He had the healing to a degree but he learned the Jedi mind tricks and channeling the Fist through objects and not having to recharge all the time from Orson Randall

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

His other comic series are kind of garbage except when he pretended to be Daredevil. That's basically how bad rear end he is. He could pretend to be Daredevil he's that good and when I say pretend I mean he just wore a mask that covered his eyes and still kicked rear end.

He's really powerful in the comic he basically punches has hard as Thor.

Anyway the only series worth reading is the Brubaker run.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Hollismason posted:

The best run of Iron Fist is actually rather sort of recent which is The Immortal Iron Fist by Ed Brubaker which is pretty much the best run and best Iron Fist series ever written. The ones prior were just kind of garbage. He was kind of a throw away joke character known basically because of his association with Luke Cage.

I think the same can be said of Power Man, as well. I like both of them just fine, but they were both gimmick characters until teaming up turned them into something more.

I'm liking the show well enough so far, but I kind of hope that instead of a season 2 (for either character, although I think Luke Cage 2 is already confirmed) we get Heroes for Hire, instead. If Netflix is only willing to commit to two or three shows a year I think they need to start consolidating their characters.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My favorite bit of dialogue so far,

Henchman: He punched through it with his bare hands.
Boss: His hands, or his fists?!
Henchman: :confused: Uh, that's kind of implied by punch, but okay.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

SonicRulez posted:

I think there are a lot of fight scenes in the back half that are pretty darn entertaining. The drunken master. The two fights with and the one against Davos. Anytime Colleen does basically anything.

And I think this one might have the best romantic subplot of any of the MCU.
Yeah it took 4 episodes to get going but ep5 was good, and I'm liking ep6.

FWIW, the I Ching trigram on master whatshisface the Thunderer's robe, is "Li", "clinging fire", the symbol of the good shepherd, repeated sunlight (the bar-dashed bar-bar is li sun, which is fire or brilliance, and it's doubled in this hexagram), which all together combine to form the great lord who protects his people and is bestowed with light in return. It's probably the only reasonably-accurate piece of asian mythology in the whole thing so far, but someone did their homework on that little detail at least.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, so we're still in the before that stage. Got it. I never read any early solo stuff, just the deep 70s Heroes for Hire and the most recent stuff.
Yeah, ep6 it starts to hit him hard that he cannot be both iron fist and danny.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 18, 2017

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I probably shouldn't have expected more, but episode 6 Bride felt pretty underwhelming compared to spider swarm she pulled in Immortal Iron Fist. Final opponent was good still, taking advantage of the environment.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I find it weird when people say " The show doesn't really represent Asian culture" because that doesn't make sense at all. It's this weird hypocritical thing because uh.. what the gently caress does that even mean "Asian Culture" how much more generalistic can you get.. Motherfucker comes from a extra dimensional mystical city.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

I find it weird when people say " The show doesn't really represent Asian culture" because that doesn't make sense at all. It's this weird hypocritical thing because uh.. what the gently caress does that even mean "Asian Culture" how much more generalistic can you get.. Motherfucker comes from a extra dimensional mystical city.
white privilege.txt

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I guess. I mean all the reviews saying Danny Rand doesn't represent Asian Culture are kind of generalizing the entire region by saying Asian culture cause uh.. that's not actually a thing that exists. Chinese culture doesn't even exist there's something 50 different diverse groups in China it's a country of 1 billion people. The same way you wouldn't combine Japanese and South Korean Culture. It's just dumb.

I think the show is good. So whatever.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 18, 2017

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Hollismason posted:

I guess. I mean all the reviews saying Danny Rand doesn't represent Asian Culture are kind of generalizing the entire region by saying Asian culture cause uh.. that's not actually a thing that exists. Chinese culture doesn't even exist there's something 50 different diverse groups in China it's a country of 1 billion people. The same way you wouldn't combine Japanese and South Korean Culture. It's just dumb.

Y...you mean people from continental Asia have different cultures and histories and countries and aren't just a mass conglomerate that Americans can label "Asian"!!??!!???? They're different from each other!!???!??!!!

(I agree with you btw.)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

hey it's the Asian guy from Banshee

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Episode 8

Jesus Christ, Ward's most horrible acting at "learning" his father was dead was amazing. Danny, you are such a loving idiot.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 18, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I actually really like both Joy and Ward. I think the actors who play them are doing a great job because every scene their in together they actually kind of treat each other like siblings and it does not come off as phony.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hollismason posted:

Well because it's such a horrific mishmash of different cultures from asia there's no real way to call it anything but "asian culture". And that doesn't really excuse the fast that a bunch of white guys back in the 70s or whenever, made up this story (to make a profit) about a white dude crashing in the himalayas and ending up in a chinese heaven but training in a buddhist monastery while quoting zen koans, before he becomes the White Savior because none of the local folks could handle things like a rich white guy could.. Also he has a hot chinese+japanese girlfriend who's a samurai - just to cover all the bases.

But hey if you wanna use a better term maybe you should call it Oriental Culture..? :allears:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nothing from Kun-lun should be so easily identifiable as belonging to a single asian cultural group.

It would probably be best if the place was a mishmash of all sorts of small, authentic, pieces, but I doubt the show manages that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Episode 6 Spoiler Oh no this Ward business with him strung out and smashing his hand to get a fix is really sad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You know what, I'll admit just got to episode 7, this does get better. Still suffering from some issues that are dragging it low on my list, but it does improve after the first few clunkers

coyo7e posted:

Well because it's such a horrific mishmash of different cultures from asia there's no real way to call it anything but "asian culture". And that doesn't really excuse the fast that a bunch of white guys back in the 70s or whenever, made up this story (to make a profit) about a white dude crashing in the himalayas and ending up in a chinese heaven but training in a buddhist monastery while quoting zen koans, before he becomes the White Savior because none of the local folks could handle things like a rich white guy could.. Also he has a hot chinese+japanese girlfriend who's a samurai - just to cover all the bases.

But hey if you wanna use a better term maybe you should call it Oriental Culture..? :allears:

Yea no one thinks one literal Asian culture is being ripped off. The issue is the general concept of 'white dude becomes a hero by bumbling into Chinese heaven and mashing up basically every Asian major spiritual idea up in a blender to become a kung fu master that surpasses his Asian peers and goes on to use their weird blender-philosophy to be a hero.

It's like how people don't like in the old days when you had a 'black' hero that was like a mashup of fifty different African cultures and just billed as 'from Africa'. No one actually thought The One True African Culture was being ripped off, the issue was a bunch of white dudes just went 'yea all these people look alike, same thing right' and dumped it in one bucket, except in this case they dumped the bucket on a white guy.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 18, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just watched the first episode, and it was not good. It was a bad episode of TV. I don't know why Danny is back in New York, or where he was, or what he wants to get out of anything. He acts like a douchebag. I don't like the character, and I don't care whether or not he succeeds, because I don't even know what he's trying to do. He's a grown man, he presumably wasn't frozen in carbonite in Batman Begins land or wherever he was. But he acts like a child, or a simpleton. It didn't even occur to him that anyone would want proof that he who he says he is? He has a flashback to a private moment he had with Joy, but when he's trying to convince Joy that he's Danny he only says publicly available stuff about himself. Joy even calls him out on that, but nothing happens.

Also, the "action" is terrible. There's a scene where Danny climbs up the outside of a building. There is a scene in the first episode of the extremely similar TV series Arrow where the main character, Arrow, climbs up the outside of a building. The scene in Arrow is not only a more impressive stunt, it's filmed better to show off the stunt. How the gently caress is a Netflix show less impressive than loving Arrow?

And the scene where a random homeless guy walks up to Danny and says "hey I got a phone, do you need to google anything?" out of loving nowhere is possibly the worst thing ever

If it wasn't for the Defenders connection and the promise of future Rosario Dawson, I wouldn't watch any more of this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NecroMonster posted:

Nothing from Kun-lun should be so easily identifiable as belonging to a single asian cultural group.

It would probably be best if the place was a mishmash of all sorts of small, authentic, pieces, but I doubt the show manages that.
Plenty is easy to identify. The I Ching trigram I mentioned above, for instance.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I know Iron Fist had the poo poo reviews and all, but I am three episodes in and not seeing why it was trashed so much. It has some slowness, but outside of Daredevil season 1, all the Netflix shows have had that same problem. Literally my biggest complaint at this point is (episode 3 spoiler) the random goon in the hospital X-ray room getting the jump on Danny so easily.

(Overall character spoiler, but no actual details)
Jesus christ the Meachum siblings are giant assholes that I hope get punched straight through the chest. Like, all the other villains have been frustrating (but in a good way), but usually because the actors performance and the scripted exploitation of power is well crafted. With these two I just want to see them slapped around mercilessly.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Guy Goodbody posted:

And the scene where a random homeless guy walks up to Danny and says "hey I got a phone, do you need to google anything?" out of loving nowhere is possibly the worst thing ever
Hey gently caress you - Big Al is Danny's spirit animal. That's why they keep showing the eagle.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

4 episodes in and I remember some of the critics talking about how it's like a board room / corporate take over.

But I can't help think that I wish Daredevil had a few more lawyer scenes outside of meeting clients (Like House and clinic duty).

I like the slow burn and how it's differentiating itself from the other shows.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

swickles posted:

I know Iron Fist had the poo poo reviews and all, but I am three episodes in and not seeing why it was trashed so much. It has some slowness, but outside of Daredevil season 1, all the Netflix shows have had that same problem. Literally my biggest complaint at this point is (episode 3 spoiler) the random goon in the hospital X-ray room getting the jump on Danny so easily.

(Overall character spoiler, but no actual details)
Jesus christ the Meachum siblings are giant assholes that I hope get punched straight through the chest. Like, all the other villains have been frustrating (but in a good way), but usually because the actors performance and the scripted exploitation of power is well crafted. With these two I just want to see them slapped around mercilessly.

For your spoiler it actually get's better in fact the Meachum's motivation Ward and Joy both get really better and their reaction in the first and 2nd episode is pretty realistic because they think he's a conman trying to swindle them

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Hollismason posted:

Lol Danny being a idiot is the best part of the show.

Yeah, it really is. This isn't nearly as bad as the reviews made me think it was going to be. Ward and Colleen are fantastic.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Tom Gorman posted:

Yeah, it really is. This isn't nearly as bad as the reviews made me think it was going to be. Ward and Colleen are fantastic.
Yeah, after the halfway point Ward is basically chewing the scenery constantly. The makeup to make him look just terribly hungover/haggard/etc all the time looks great, too.

I like the episode titles as well, although I was sad that ep5 didn't have a sex scene with a title that that..!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

coyo7e posted:

Hey that's not true!

When they made him up his girlfriend was black and had a robot arm.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hollismason posted:

For your spoiler it actually get's better in fact the Meachum's motivation Ward and Joy both get really better and their reaction in the first and 2nd episode is pretty realistic because they think he's a conman trying to swindle them

Maybe I am at a sweet spot or something, but right now we have some initial and believable doubt, then acceptance that it is Danny, and the immediate response is gently caress you get out with a huge campaign to gaslight him.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

I'm only three episodes in so far, but I like the fighting so far. Since Arrow keeps getting brought up, one of the issues people bring up with that show is how uneven Oliver Queen's skill level is. Like, he can take out the best fighters in the world but struggles with genetic mooks so that the show can keep up its action quota,

At this point in the story Danny should be sleepwalking through his fights...unless you want Heaven's Hero to be the same power level as random private security guards.

As long as there's some sort of payoff in the back half I'm okay with the slow burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought the whole point of the first episodes was Danny was basically a insulated person who when trying to apply some sort of weird higher moralistic outlook to the actual way the world works fails loving miserably.

swickles posted:

Maybe I am at a sweet spot or something, but right now we have some initial and believable doubt, then acceptance that it is Danny, and the immediate response is gently caress you get out with a huge campaign to gaslight him.

Well Joy doesn't know about that its mostly Harold who actually believes Danny is Danny and then Ward being pissed off that it is Danny because of the way his Dad treats him. It's obvious Ward has issues with his father and Danny being this "son" returned really upsets him. Harold's even physically abusive with Ward which makes it even sadder. Wards just like a hosed up person because of obviously years of emotional and physical abuse from his Dad. I find him incredibly sympathetic.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 18, 2017