Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bub spank posted:

The System

(e: it's a big change from the exciting run and gun "systems" of the last few years under Cameron and Maclean, and less exciting to watch, but somehow it's working this year so I'm not complaining)

I'm not sure there's a team in the league I'd rather watch less than Ottawa, to the point where I'm turning down lower bowl seats and not bothering to put my name in for corporate box seats. The hockey is just so goddamn boring.

e: Marner definitely benefits when playing with guys who can cash on the chances he creates but his skill ceiling is just so high I'm not sure it matters that much. God he is fun to watch.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Leafs just signed Miro Aaltonen, a slight 23 year-old playmaking left winger who had a good KHL season and was productive in Finland before then.

I think we've solved the Matthews left wing problem his playoff stats are baaaad though

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Well considering the last two poaches they did from the KHL I'm holding faith that this guy is also good.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Honestly I've always kinda liked Burrows for the same reasons I like Marchand. Obviously without the superstar upside, but he's a pest with some skill and I find that appealing.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

eXXon posted:

The Leafs just signed Miro Aaltonen, a slight 23 year-old playmaking left winger who had a good KHL season and was productive in Finland before then.

I think we've solved the Matthews left wing problem his playoff stats are baaaad though

I had to do some searching for this because I couldn't remember the name, but the Pens did a similar thing ages ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janne_Pesonen

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Stretch Marx posted:

Well considering the last two poaches they did from the KHL I'm holding faith that this guy is also good.

Is Zaitsev good though?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues schedule the rest of the season is laughably bad:

ARI-COL-VAN-CGY-ARI-ARI-COL-NSH-WPG-FLA-CAR-COL

I really don't see any way they miss the playoffs with that schedule.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

In a league where like 75% of teams are in the playoffs or fighting for a spot, that Blues schedule only contains two. That's pretty impressive.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

A Typical Goon posted:

Is Zaitsev good though?

I think he is. He's clearly more of a defensive dman and I don't expect him in any game to score. But he's been super reliable at keep people to the outside and if someone gets by him he's capable of skating back. He's also shown to be able to carry a lot of minutes when needed. He's not amazing and has the odd brain fart but I like his ability to properly box people out to help Andersen because it's pretty obvious that if Andersen doesn't see the puck it will ping pong through him some how.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Oh what a world we live in when the top 3 teams in the league (and 4 of the top 6) are in one division. And also where the first wildcard has more points than the other division leader in the same conference.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

A Typical Goon posted:

Is Zaitsev good though?

Reasonably tough zone starts, roughly even possession, 20 even strength points. Not a world-beater or anything but I think he's definitely on the "good" side of the ledger.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The oceans suck.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMQnFDxWcM&t=128s

This video is fun. It's kinda nice that they're buddies even though they're fighting.

But the flip side (even though they aren't throwing hard in the fight) is it's really dumb for two buddies to punch each other in the head for no reason on tv.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lol if you think Mitch Marner can't create his own offence. That's the worst take I've heard in some time.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mike_V posted:

The Blues schedule the rest of the season is laughably bad:

ARI-COL-VAN-CGY-ARI-ARI-COL-NSH-WPG-FLA-CAR-COL

I really don't see any way they miss the playoffs with that schedule.

I just looked at the standings this morning and thought "I wonder what the Blues schedule is like for the rest of the year...". And yeah, they really would have to take a catastrophic poo poo in the bed to miss. With that and CGY's hot streak, looks like LA is boned lol

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

Lol if you think Mitch Marner can't create his own offence. That's the worst take I've heard in some time.

You must not read your own posts very often then

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I just looked at the standings this morning and thought "I wonder what the Blues schedule is like for the rest of the year...". And yeah, they really would have to take a catastrophic poo poo in the bed to miss. With that and CGY's hot streak, looks like LA is boned lol

oh no what would I do with the Kings missing the playoffs

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

A Typical Goon posted:

You must not read your own posts very often then

everything I say is good and correct, sorry

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Well it was fun while it lasted. Back to the black hole we go.

Two awesome runs for different reasons and being back-to-back champs (2013 doesn't count). I'll take it.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
My favorite hockey fact right now is the reward for being the third best team in the league is playing the 2nd best team in the league in the first round.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Game counts aren't even, the Metro only looks so good because they get to play the Atlantic and the bottom half of the Metro so much more.

If everyone played NYI 82 times a year we'd have the real facts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good Canadian Boy posted:

This video is fun. It's kinda nice that they're buddies even though they're fighting.

One of them mentioned on twitter a bit later that they'd never met before.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's cute that Metro fans are now realizing what Central fans have the past couple seasons: the new Playoff system is garbage

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Mike_V posted:

It's cute that Metro fans are now realizing what Central fans have the past couple seasons: the new Playoff system is garbage

I'm pretty sure most people thought it was garbage from the get-go

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Mike_V posted:

I agree with your underlying point, but the recent Central playoff matchups have been great. Blues-Blackhawks last year may have been the series of the playoffs, and as much as I hated the outcome, Nashville-Blackhawks in 2015 was incredible too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goat posted:

I'm pretty sure most people thought it was garbage from the get-go

I liked the thought of it at first because having rivalries build from repeated playoff series seemed like a good idea but the divisions are so stupidly unbalanced this year that it's just dumb that whoever finishes fourth in the Metro gets basically a free pass to the ECF. I mean it's actually worse to finish first than fourth, how dumb is that?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

There are four very good Metro teams. One of them will not make it out of the first round, and another will be bounced in the second. That's dumb.

Related to this, FOX Sports Ohio says Washington clinches with a win + CBJ win over the Isles. If Columbus wins, they clinch with any two points the rest of the way.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Ginette Reno posted:

I liked the thought of it at first because having rivalries build from repeated playoff series seemed like a good idea but the divisions are so stupidly unbalanced this year that it's just dumb that whoever finishes fourth in the Metro gets basically a free pass to the ECF. I mean it's actually worse to finish first than fourth, how dumb is that?

The Rangers are out in the first round so that's the end of that argument.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can we at least admit what you really want is an easier path to the finals?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I'm fine with good teams meeting early, it makes for more interesting series early on.

I say this as a fan of a team that is decidedly Not Good though

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Only one team wins the cup too. This is such bullshit

Kale
May 14, 2010

Gotta love Hockey coaches sticking to the traditions. Like everyone saw Emelin's performance lately, saw Julien's reaction in New York, know what kind of coach he is and that Emelin is out tonight but nobody official is going to say it until the absolute last moment it's allowed. Way to throw Boucher off.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Its been on the habs twitter since noon? :confused:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm fine with good teams meeting early, it makes for more interesting series early on.

I say this as a fan of a team that is decidedly Not Good though

I think once the initial burst of HOCKEY ALL THE TIME EVERY NIGHT YEAH YEAH YEAH of the first round wears off, it becomes much more advantageous for the league from a business stand point, and us as fans from an entrainment standpoint, to see the better teams play later in the playoffs when there's only one game on a night

This accomplishes the literal exact opposite and is just another in a long line of decisions this league has made to fix something that wasn't broken and actively getting in its own way

We get to see a fun exciting Caps/Pens/Jackets first round series when there's 4 other games on that night to watch, at the expense of a loving Pittsburgh/Ottawa ECF snoozefest as the only game every other night :waycool:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 18, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kale posted:

Gotta love Hockey coaches sticking to the traditions. Like everyone saw Emelin's performance lately, saw Julien's reaction in New York, know what kind of coach he is and that Emelin is out tonight but nobody official is going to say it until the absolute last moment it's allowed. Way to throw Boucher off.

Therrien confirmed that Beauliau is in for Emelin like, three hours ago.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Speaking of tity defensemen, what are the pens even going to do with pouliot? He was a major contributing factor on 3 of the goals against last night, and he's just such a defensive liability with seemingly no upside. I mean he's only getting played because we have I think 4 regular defensemen hurt, but you have to figure there's another D down in WBS that can play over him.

What an awful draft pick.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Mr. Kite posted:

Two awesome runs for different reasons and being back-to-back champs (2013 doesn't count). I'll take it.

:thunking:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Rangers are infinitely more boring to watch than Ottawa or Montreal.

The system works.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

Missing the playoffs doesn't drat you into perpetual irrelevance though.

lol at you trading for iginla only to miss the playoffs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

grack posted:

Therrien confirmed that Beauliau is in for Emelin like, three hours ago.

heh

• Locked thread