Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The S2 is just barely getting past supply scarcity problems and there are zero rumors of an update, but we're telling people to wait on the next iteration. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting steps?

Yep. It just drains like a motherfucker.

Mind you, I get a TON of notifications throughout the day when I'm at work so maybe it's just from the vibration motor working overtime. Most days I get about 150-200 emails at least so I'm sure that doesn't help.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Did you wipe and setup as a new watch?

Also if you're getting a loooooot of notifications, try turning some of them off for testing purposes.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 17, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

HiredGun posted:

Been following this thread for a while and I'm torn as to whether to spring for a Series 2 right now, or wait until September for the possible Series 3. What do y'all think?

The series 2 is a niche watch for a pretty specific kind of person. If you fall into that category, enjoy, it's pretty awesome at what it does.

The series 0 is the best model for most people. The series 1 has a better processor but in practice it barely matters.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Watch0s 3 or whatever really made the 0 great.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

GoldfishStew posted:

Watch0s 3 or whatever really made the 0 great.

For sure, and you can get the good versions of the series 0 for cheap. I highly recommend the DLC coating version (space black). It's indestructible. I've had mine for a year and I could literally put it back in the case and it would be indistinguishable from new.

I'm banging the watch on poo poo constantly btw I'm not babying it at all. It's just that durable.

Before that I had a sports version and it scratched every two seconds.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I have a series 2 space black stainless steel and cant imagine what Apple would put out to make me upgrade. Have to be nuts and I'm not Even surre there will be a S3 with how weird their schedule has been.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

More health sensors would get me to upgrade but I'm not sure what they could do beyond the heartbeat sensor right now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If I wasn't lazy about it, I'd look into selling or trading my Series 1 aluminum for a Series 0 Space Black stainless steel. I only use my watch for mirrored notifications and unlocking my MacBook these days; I wouldn't miss the new processor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple released a bunch of new bands today:

Camellia (light pink), Pebble (beige), and Azure (light blue) sport straps
Nike bands are now available as a separate purchase
Orange, Berry, Red, Pollen, and Tahoe Blue triple-color woven nylon
Midnight Blue single-color woven nylon
Saddle Brown, Berry, Taupe, Sapphire, Red, Midnight Blue, and Black classic buckle leather straps with a new, spring-loaded buckle (probably the same garbage leather, though)
Hermes Fauve Barenia and Blue Zephyr Epsom double tour straps
Hermes Lime Epsom, Colvert Swift, and Fauve Barenia single tour straps
Hermes Fauve Barenia double buckle cuff

I'm probably gonna get the orange nylon if they have any in-store when I pick up my iPhone tonight.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Anyone else using the HealthFace complication? I'm trying to replicate my old Fitbit by having a step count on the watch face.

The problem is that the step count does not update "live". In fact it updates ridiculously slowly. I've tried contacting the dev but no reply as yet.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Embrace the rings. Step count is a garbage compromise metric that Fitbit hyped up to sell you on a Casio watch with a pedometer glued on.

Riding a bike or pushing a cart? Nahhh, but here's 5k steps for driving your car. Don't miss that nonsense at all.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

eddiewalker posted:

Embrace the rings. Step count is a garbage compromise metric that Fitbit hyped up to sell you on a Casio watch with a pedometer glued on.

Riding a bike or pushing a cart? Nahhh, but here's 5k steps for driving your car. Don't miss that nonsense at all.

The rings are love. The rings are life.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Three rings to rule them all, and at 23:50 to bind them as they panic to get them completed.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does the watch log heartbeats still if it's on your wrist but password locked?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I'm interested in an Apple Watch but don't want to jump into the deep end quite yet. Would the battery on a used series 0 be enough of a concern to avoid them? It seems like there's a decent price gap between used series 0 and refurb series 1.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Watch Os3 was a great equalizer. If you just want to gently caress around and try it out, a Series 0 is a great way in if you don't want the features in the series 1/2. I love my watch and I came from a Pebble and can't believe how much it makes me takes my phone out less. get in there.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Long rambling new user purchase report:

I ended up buying a used series 0 stainless steel from a guy last week for $290 AUD. Seemed like a good price based on the used Apple Watch market in Australia. Apple don't sell Watch refurbs here.

I'd read some posts about people having issues pairing their watches when buying secondhand due to the prev owner not deactivating from iCloud etc, so I made sure it paired to my phone before handing the cash over.

Luckily the prev owner had not used it much, so it's not scratched at all. The stainless steel watch looks and feels great on the wrist.

After a few days of use, I am very impressed. I love the easy access to info such as time, date and weather that I would normally have to pull my phone out for (I was not a watch wearer before this). At first this seems crazy I know, since pulling out your phone doesn't require much effort in the scheme of things. It's just that being able to glance at your watch is so ridiculously simple in comparison.

I also really like the fitness aspect of it. I now have a watchface set up with the digital activity rings, a timer, and the workout complication. I hate cardio and only lift, so using the timer for rest periods between sets is very handy and getting a little buzz on the wrist when the timer expires is really cool. I've read about a Gymaholic app that looks like it can track reps etc automatically, but I prefer to log that stuff in my phone during rest periods with RepCount. It's also nice to see a bullshit estimate of calories burned during a lifting session.

It sucks that complications can't update live due to some limitations Apple put in place (presumably due to battery life). That eliminates the watch's ability to show live NBA scores which is something I was looking forward to. Hopefully it can be included in a later update.

Battery life is great. When I get back home from work it still has about 40% left even after using it quite heavily due to being a new user.

Having multiple watchfaces is cool. I have a simple one for daily use, the modular one that has my next calendar item on it plus weather, messages, etc and then finally the fitness watchface with activity etc.

The watch I bought came with the black sports band, but I've since ordered a Milanese loop and a stainless steel metal band from AliExpress that should arrive in a month or so. Each band was about $10 USD.

Overall, the watch already feels indispensable to me and I'm glad I went with the used stainless steel s0 over a new aluminium s2 as it has been perfect so far.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Taima posted:

For sure, and you can get the good versions of the series 0 for cheap. I highly recommend the DLC coating version (space black). It's indestructible. I've had mine for a year and I could literally put it back in the case and it would be indistinguishable from new.

I'm banging the watch on poo poo constantly btw I'm not babying it at all. It's just that durable.

Before that I had a sports version and it scratched every two seconds.

I feel dumb, I am looking at swappa for this watch type, is this what I want?

Apple Watch Stainless Steel 42mm (1st Gen 2015) (Smart Watch) [A1554]

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

kri kri posted:

I feel dumb, I am looking at swappa for this watch type, is this what I want?

Apple Watch Stainless Steel 42mm (1st Gen 2015) (Smart Watch) [A1554]

Yip

Speaking of, Swappa is a little chaotic when it comes to which watch gets placed in which category, so be careful. As in, you could see Sport Watches showing up where they shouldn't.

The first release of Apple watch had basically two watches. The AW sport, which I believe came in black and silver. The other was simply called Apple Watch and that is stainless steel. Of course, Apple released a third watch at this time called the Edition but it was gold and $10,000 so no one bought it.

edit: spelling

decypher fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 25, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I kinda want a stainless steel series 0 now. What's a good price on those?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

I have a sssb and it's...it's...my god.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

GoldfishStew posted:

I have a sssb and it's...it's...my god.

Yep. I've got a SSSB S2 and I was able to ebay the authentic SB link band from a dude who didn't like link bands for $150. I've had them both for about 6 months and there is still not a single scratch, blemish or anything anywhere, I could do a quick cleaning on it, put the plastic wrap back on and you wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't brand new. Its the tank of apple watches AND I love the way it looks. I like how the space black finish is the same color/hue and almost the same reflectiveness as the screen so the whole thing just looks like one piece of black steel with some lines chiseled away.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks thread I picked up the series 0 space black from target on sale.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I'm planning on selling my Aluminum Space Black Series 2 watch with black sport band.

Purchased it first of January from Target and still have original everything if anyone is interested.

I also have a watch/phone nightstand dock I'll sell as well.

Figure I will post it in here before I add it to SA-Mart.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Woah, major sale on 42mm S2 space black w/sport band on a 3rd party Amazon seller, $258 off and prime. That's crazy

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Watch-Stainless-Steel-Black/dp/B00X3SH9WI

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

rage-saq posted:

Woah, major sale on 42mm S2 space black w/sport band on a 3rd party Amazon seller, $258 off and prime. That's crazy

It's not the S2 according to every review. Actually appears to be a first gen model.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It's not the S2 according to every review. Actually appears to be a first gen model.

Ah, well that's lovely false advertising then.
However, a NiB SBSS s0 is worth about 350, so, not bad!

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

rage-saq posted:

Says will ship out June 24th... lol

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Target hosed up and is double applying a coupon. S1 for $140 off.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Word is these orders are getting cancelled. Hopefully some managed to get them picked up in time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got my S0 at Target for $200 off when they were still new, which was nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Double post, but WatchOS 3.2 is out with Siri improvements and theater mode. I assume you need iOS 10.3 which also launched today.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Does anyone follow Spotty (the Spotify apple watch app developed by some dude that is now called Snowy due to legal issues)?

https://snowy.rocks/

Word on the street is that Spotify is buying the app wholesale... which is delaying the release, but also means it should be released relatively soon for free under the Spotify Pro ecosystem.

Pretty awesome news.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I've been following that dude since he first announced it. I'm assuming that yeah Spotify is buying it out.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Hey so in Messages the microphone icon is grey'd out. Any idea why this is happening? Has never happened to me before.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

GoldfishStew posted:

Hey so in Messages the microphone icon is grey'd out. Any idea why this is happening? Has never happened to me before.

Siri is sick of hearing your lovely voice.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Theater Mode should be subtitled "make your S2 last for over 3 days because you left your charger at home" mode.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a way to get the Emergency Warnings pushed to the Watch? Like, the iPhone will go crazy if there's a Flood/Tornado/etc. Warning in your area.

Night Sky seems to have the option for such notifications, but it seems significantly slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I just did some research on what theater mode is, and the results are horrifying:

quote:

I’d have been delighted if it had arrived two years ago when I was in an intense, quiet play at the theater. I’d turned on Airplane mode but forgot that this did not quell alarms such as the one that encourages you to stand if you’ve been sitting too long. The tut-tuts when it sounded were certainly enough to have me scrambling to turn it to Silent Mode.

Apparently some people don't have their watch on silent 24/7? Can you even imagine how much of an idiot you would have to be to have your watch making dings every time a notification came in? This is directly analogous to old people don't have their phone on silent, and you just want to shake those people.

• Locked thread