Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Serious question with flurry rush: has anyone actually managed to trigger it off of the lynel 1h weapon attack where they kind of sweep both their arms in?

I have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Serious question with flurry rush: has anyone actually managed to trigger it off of the lynel 1h weapon attack where they kind of sweep both their arms in?

I can't even manage to dodge that attack. I kept trying and could never get the timing down. Eventually I just started turtling behind a shield anytime he did it because I was not learning the timing.

Fighting Lynels on my naked run is gonna be...interesting. They were the only thing that felt threatning even with upgraded gear so I'm really gonna need to git gud. I actually ran into one in a place I didn't know they could be and fled like a coward. Then like 10 seconds later I heard a weird whizzing sound and, thinking back to past experiences, started sprinting out of fear. Sure enough shock arrows began raining from the sky. I wasn't even in the Lynel's LOS anymore. He was just blindfiring them from the other side of a cliff :regd09:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You have to do it pretty early though I think, before his arms start to swing much if at all

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Jurassic World (2015)

Kamehameha!

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Yahtzee likes it. I think. It's getting ever harder to tell with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPPXGFvdw0

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Ometeotl posted:

There is nothing wrong or finicky with the Guardian parrying timing or the Flurry Rush window or anything, you're just bad at it.

The windows are vastly different from enemy to enemy. For Bokoblins you can do it seemingly anywhere in their attack animations, but for things like Lynels or Lizalfos I'm finding that I need to basically dodge extremely close to being hit to get it to trigger. Lynels have the additional issue where if they do the charge sweeping attack that requires a backflip, the camera pans to the side to let the Lynel pass, so pushing Down + B causes a side jump instead of a backflip due to the quick camera jerk and I get hit. I need to check the options to see if they have a setting for absolute directional control instead of relational control like in Monster Hunter, because as it is I'm doing what the game wants me to do to be rewarded and I'm being punished instead. I don't quite understand why the game wouldn't have 'Down + B' always do a backflip regardless of facing when you are locked on, as you then have no control of the camera changing the camera's orientation compared to Link's facing in close quarters. It seems like an oversight.

I don't know what people mean by saying the Guardian parry is fine. I've tested it by hitting it at the exact same time at the exact same spot against the exact same guardian, and have a) successfully parried, b) had my 100% durability shield completely destroyed, or c) been hit with the beam on different attempts. After running through four shields and three fairies I got the third parry off and won, but it didn't leave me feeling like I learned anything or overcame a fair challenge. The visual cues for the Guardians being reliant on distance to them isn't great for me, as I don't have a good sense of depth perception in the game. Maybe if they had your shield flash instead, instead of having to calculate the distance of a moving target on a slight hill backlit with sunset.

I, having played Monster Hunter since the first generation, understand demanding tight controls in a game that generally has high difficulty and expects you to learn or gently caress off. But the weird spiky difficulty of fighting specifically Guardians, mostly due to loose controls and poor communication of mechanics triggers, seems out of place in a game that lets you just spam attacks against nearly everything else outside of bosses and Lynels, gives you tons of healing items, etc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

spit on my clit posted:

Jurassic World (2015)

Kamehameha!

I wish Mii Verse still existed so I could share screenshots easily. This game has so many good moments.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

But the weird spiky difficulty of fighting specifically Guardians

You realize you don't have to parry them? They can be easily killed by just shooting them in the eye, hitting them, shooting them again, repeat. Or just using an ancient arrow which you can have plenty of by the time you reach Hyrule Castle.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly Guardians are not that hard to parry. I have messed up the timing on it but it did not take long for me to get the timing down for it pretty easily.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It's worth learning the timing. That's all I'll say.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Internet Kraken posted:

You realize you don't have to parry them? They can be easily killed by just shooting them in the eye, hitting them, shooting them again, repeat. Or just using an ancient arrow which you can have plenty of by the time you reach Hyrule Castle.

I realize I don't have to parry them. But parrying is apparently a thing that should be able to be done every time if done in the correct window every time, but that isn't the case. And unless I use consumables like Ancient Arrows (which I had 0 of when I first got to Hyrule Castle, and only have 7 of after getting the x5 chest inside said Castle on my last run in), the turrets take a lot of hits to go down, and are buggy to take on in close quarters. As mentioned before, if you lock onto them then Link decides that swinging at air toward the eye far out of his reach is a better use of his time than to slash at the base he is standing at, and I keep having the issue where if I do a jump attack against them he gets stuck on the base in the midair slashing animation for a few seconds, letting the turret charge most of a shot while I have zero control of my character. It's a legitimate set of complaints that add up to a frustrating experience, and the people saying I can just avoid that part of the game if I want are missing the point. If the game crashed when you equipped chest armor, would it be just as good of a game? After all, you can just not equip chest armor and still win! :shepface:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The hardest thing about guardians is locking onto them. I'd say my game has a fifty fiftychance of locking onto a guardian. I have never locked onto a flying guardian. I'm getting sick of being blasted into oblivion without being able to parry these beams.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Regy Rusty posted:

Good news is if you're bad at parrying you never have to do it. I got through the whole game without using it once! Just get an Ancient Shield or two and you're set for guardian lasers. I personally used Flurry Rush a lot more but if you're not good at that you don't NEED to use it either. If you're finding the game hard try using more of the tools at your disposal. Stasis+ can help a ton on the hardest fights, the various elemental arrows are INCREDIBLY useful against tons of different enemies and so on. There are so many options for combat that you should use what helps you the most.

I didn't parry all game, successfully backflipped probably... 25 times and beat the game today at ~110 hours and 19.1% complete ama. I didn't know you could parry until I watched that video someone posted about the guy and the red lynel. I spent the majority of my game collecting things and climbing mountains and flying

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I realize I don't have to parry them. But parrying is apparently a thing that should be able to be done every time if done in the correct window every time, but that isn't the case. And unless I use consumables like Ancient Arrows (which I had 0 of when I first got to Hyrule Castle, and only have 7 of after getting the x5 chest inside said Castle on my last run in), the turrets take a lot of hits to go down, and are buggy to take on in close quarters. As mentioned before, if you lock onto them then Link decides that swinging at air toward the eye far out of his reach is a better use of his time than to slash at the base he is standing at, and I keep having the issue where if I do a jump attack against them he gets stuck on the base in the midair slashing animation for a few seconds, letting the turret charge most of a shot while I have zero control of my character. It's a legitimate set of complaints that add up to a frustrating experience, and the people saying I can just avoid that part of the game if I want are missing the point. If the game crashed when you equipped chest armor, would it be just as good of a game? After all, you can just not equip chest armor and still win! :shepface:

i will grant that the camera could move a bit further back when locking onto turrets, but consider: they are turrets. They don't move. Why are you even locking on to them

Also, you can parry guardian lasers with ~95% success rate if you don't suck at it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

You don't need to be locked on to parry, just holding block and facing in vaguely the right direction.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Alright, time for a "run straight to ganon" run...gently caress i have to do the plateau first

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I prefer stabbing them with my Darkness-Sealing Sword.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The final boss fight wasn't all that tough but it was pretty cool. I managed to do the final hit to Calamity Ganon with a deflected laser, and even though Beast Ganon was basically a big QTE, it was still cool and the music was rad as hell.

Probably going to start playing less now but I love the hell out of this game and I'm gonna get all the shrines slowly but surely. And then probably buy it again on Switch and play it all again. Breath of the Wild has me all excited about Zelda again and that's a nice feeling.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Alxprit posted:

I prefer stabbing them with my Darkness-Sealing Sword.

Hacking off their legs one by one while they flail is very satisfying

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I really enjoy the fact that nearly everyone who's heard about the Master Sword even in passing refers to it by title: "The Sword that Seals the Darkness" . It's referred by name just once I think by Zelda.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone else think that the DLC is going to involve traveling through time?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Okay Link, I've hosed up again because I guess there's one guy in a blind spot I never check, and now I've got two huge assholes after me. I can beat one of them fair and square, but two of them is probably going to end me. What to do..."

On realization of 70+ bomb arrows I refuse to use and a dust collecting Tri-bow pulled out later...

"Ah yes. the Ryu Hayabusa school of ninjitsu."

Pretty bullshit that they didn't drop their cool looking swords though. Fortunately that run, I was experimenting with if arrow headshots can be used for stealth kills (They can't :v:), and the one in the first room dropped it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When the blacksmith forged the Master Sword, do you think he just said "Welp, this one is done" and threw it on the pile of all the other master swords?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I realized how much fun I've been having just playing the game in my own way because I had a friend over, and after I went to the bathroom I came back to see him just slaughtering the foxes and the rams willy-nilly and I got a little bit sad, because they are just lil critters who don't hurt nothing :(

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SettingSun posted:

I really enjoy the fact that nearly everyone who's heard about the Master Sword even in passing refers to it by title: "The Sword that Seals the Darkness" . It's referred by name just once I think by Zelda.

There's also the Master Torch guy at a few of the stables.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tumble posted:

I realized how much fun I've been having just playing the game in my own way because I had a friend over, and after I went to the bathroom I came back to see him just slaughtering the foxes and the rams willy-nilly and I got a little bit sad, because they are just lil critters who don't hurt nothing :(

I leave Foxes and Rams alone, but I admit it's as much because I'm too busy taking out my innocent wildlife aggression on birds and squirrels.

Not only do Foxes and Rams not bother me, but they only drop the least delicious meat anyways :v: Meanwhile, bombing a pack of squirrels gets me more nuts than chopping down over fifty trees in preparation for tarry town did.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

sector_corrector posted:

Anyone else think that the DLC is going to involve traveling through time?

No.

americong
May 29, 2013

ending spoilers to follow

I was kinda hoping for more resolution, either story/character relationships wise or getting to prance around a cleansed hyrule castle

also i felt like a chump dying to orange ganon until i realized i have to zap him with camel powers

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I am looking forward to seeing what tunes will get into/get remixed in the next Smash Bros.

The composer for BOTW previously managed to take this already chill-rear end song she did for New Leaf and make it into something even better for Smash.

Holy poo poo, yes.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I am looking forward to seeing what tunes will get into/get remixed in the next Smash Bros.

The composer for BOTW previously managed to take this already chill-rear end song she did for New Leaf and make it into something even better for Smash.

holy poo poo, for real It makes so much sense the BOTW music person made ambient Animal Crossing music and I love it

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

americong posted:

ending spoilers to follow

I was kinda hoping for more resolution, either story/character relationships wise or getting to prance around a cleansed hyrule castle

also i felt like a chump dying to orange ganon until i realized i have to zap him with camel powers

You can also perfect dodge his attacks to lower his shield or reflect his lasers back at him with a parry

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

1. Are there any elemental weapons I should be saving or anything or always have on hand? I guess or course a ice/fire one to equip for associated climates. I know you can get more

2. So ancient parts are just for the armor? Is that worth grinding out? I'm not going to bother upgrading all the armor but I figure I should at least upgrade the climbing set to level 2

3. So on fairy shrines do they each upgrade different armor or is two diff fairy shrines just going to get you up one level each or what. Kind or confused on this part

4. As someone who's fairly casual how many hearts should I have before I plan on finishing the game etc. I'm not one to get every shrine etc

5. The gently caress can't I teleport straight into my house

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Are there any indestructible items or weapons? I imagine the Master Sword is, but anything else?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Are there any indestructible items or weapons? I imagine the Master Sword is, but anything else?

Pretty sure the one you mentioned is it, the hylian shield or whatever just has a really high durability

Also it's not exactly "indestructible" the master sword, it will eventually stop working and you have to wait for it to recharge. The dumb thing is it doesn't recharge until it's completely used up. Makes no god drat sense

americong
May 29, 2013

LemonAIDS posted:

You can also perfect dodge his attacks to lower his shield or reflect his lasers back at him with a parry

as it would happen, i'm loving garbage at video games

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Does anyone else not like two handed weapons? They are nice if the one hit you can get in will kill whatever you're fighting. If it takes more than 1-2 hits, you're going to get hit back. They are just too slow to do anything. Unless I cheese stasis or ice or something, I can't hit a lizalfos with a two handed weapon. By the time Link starts swinging, the lizalfos has already jumped away. A moblin is going to hit me by the time I can get a second swing in. Even with stasis, the weapons swing so slowly I can only get a couple hits in because whatever monster it is gets punted across the field/room. I much prefer the spears and one handed swords.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

When I'm using a two-hander it's mostly about baiting flurry rushes and maybe getting extra licks in if they have other really obvious windows.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Does anyone else not like two handed weapons? They are nice if the one hit you can get in will kill whatever you're fighting. If it takes more than 1-2 hits, you're going to get hit back. They are just too slow to do anything. Unless I cheese stasis or ice or something, I can't hit a lizalfos with a two handed weapon. By the time Link starts swinging, the lizalfos has already jumped away. A moblin is going to hit me by the time I can get a second swing in. Even with stasis, the weapons swing so slowly I can only get a couple hits in because whatever monster it is gets punted across the field/room. I much prefer the spears and one handed swords.

depends on the enemy for me. for talus' and hinox's twohanders are my goto

americong
May 29, 2013

i think twohanders are more difficult to use is the right take

i go sword and board most of the time because, as noted above, i'm bad at video games

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Two-handers own for almost every purpose imaginable. Spin to win, baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antsylvania
Nov 5, 2010

Two hand running attacks are pretty great, they're fast and usually combo into a knockdown. Between that and hitting super hard in flurries and spin2win charge attacks I find it's pretty useful to keep a couple good 2handers around.