Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/841281700839739392?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

lmao what the hell. Is that 43% of people saying they'd be okay with pretending to be gay at work? What?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

:bernpop:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

lmao what the hell. Is that 43% of people saying they'd be okay with pretending to be gay at work? What?

whatever it is it's a poll that should really be mostly about LGBT people being answered by over two-thirds straight people who think their opinion's worth so loving much.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More than 2,500 former members of the armed forces entered the prison system last year, with experts warning a disproportionate number were being jailed for serious violence and sexual offences.

According to the Ministry of Justice, veterans represent between 4% and 5% of the UK prison population, raising concerns about the impact of the Afghanistan and Iraq campaigns on mental health issues in the armed forces.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/18/uk-armed-forces-veterans-prison-population-mental-health-issues

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Private Speech posted:

Perhaps the world just isn't as enlightened (funny how close that word is to the modern 'woke') as we think it is. I'll be damned if I know what to do about it though. And the media certainly aren't helping.

Sure he's not just getting more conservative in his old age, complaining about young people nowadays and how things were better in his day?

People get old and see the world (and their place in it) change, there can be a lot of underlying resentment. Having the media say yes, things are bad nowadays and indulging in blame and prejudice is comforting on some level. It doesn't matter if teenage pregnancies are actually down, he wants to believe that the situation has gone to poo poo since his generation was running things

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

journalists are salty as gently caress about the evening standard lol

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/842752332974735360

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm guessing it's "if I were a member of the LGBT community I'd be happy to be open at work."

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

SpaceCommie posted:

I'm guessing it's "if I were a member of the LGBT community I'd be happy to be open at work."

It's still a really stupid hypothetical question.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JFairfax posted:

More than 2,500 former members of the armed forces entered the prison system last year, with experts warning a disproportionate number were being jailed for serious violence and sexual offences.

According to the Ministry of Justice, veterans represent between 4% and 5% of the UK prison population, raising concerns about the impact of the Afghanistan and Iraq campaigns on mental health issues in the armed forces.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/18/uk-armed-forces-veterans-prison-population-mental-health-issues

It's a massive problem, and one that nobody ever wants to address because a) mental health in this country was a loving mess even before the Tories started gutting it, and b) the main Forces-related charities are still stuck in this 19th century mindset about mental health. The RBL are a little bit better (in that they at least try to cope with institutionalisation and immediately-apparent PTSD) than H4H, who outright ignore mental health issues, but the only charities who really actually help both with the more or less unique stew of mental health problems that can be triggered by military service are completely dwarfed by those two.

Some of it of course is the general out-of-sight out-of-mind problem of mental health charities generally - a double amputee climbing Ben Nevis is a much better poster boy than someone managing to make it to the shops and back without crying - but the macho attitude surrounding the military compounds this massively, both in the lack of help and also in the minds of the victims, because they have totally internalised the "Just snap out of it" default attitude to mental health problems.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

Lol Osborne still wants to be PM and he's mega-pissed at Theresa May. He's going to bide his time, sniping at her from the Evening Standard until the current government's hosed up Brexit badly enough that he can step up and say: "Ok, it's time to put the grown-ups (i.e. me) back in charge!"

It's actually not a bad plan.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pistol_Pete posted:

Lol Osborne still wants to be PM and he's mega-pissed at Theresa May. He's going to bide his time, sniping at her from the Evening Standard until the current government's hosed up Brexit badly enough that he can step up and say: "Ok, it's time to put the grown-ups (i.e. me) back in charge!"

It's actually not a bad plan.
Alternatively they just offered him some money and being a guy with a humanities degree he's probably always wanted a shot at it.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

SpaceCommie posted:

Interesting disparity between the real and the imagined level of expected acceptance there.

Still a bizarre question though, who the gently caress wants to talk about their sexuality at work?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's a massive problem, and one that nobody ever wants to address because a) mental health in this country was a loving mess even before the Tories started gutting it, and b) the main Forces-related charities are still stuck in this 19th century mindset about mental health. The RBL are a little bit better (in that they at least try to cope with institutionalisation and immediately-apparent PTSD) than H4H, who outright ignore mental health issues, but the only charities who really actually help both with the more or less unique stew of mental health problems that can be triggered by military service are completely dwarfed by those two.

Some of it of course is the general out-of-sight out-of-mind problem of mental health charities generally - a double amputee climbing Ben Nevis is a much better poster boy than someone managing to make it to the shops and back without crying - but the macho attitude surrounding the military compounds this massively, both in the lack of help and also in the minds of the victims, because they have totally internalised the "Just snap out of it" default attitude to mental health problems.

I do wonder whether a non-prison route for veterans guilty of crimes (even violent ones) due to their mental health is an appropriate thing in the short term - e.g. some secure facility that is much less poo poo than prison, given the state is partially responsible for their condition.

Prison has zero ability to do anything constructive with the mental health of inmates. I hold no hope of that changing across the whole prison estate, but maybe in the short term doing something about the smaller number of veteran inmates would be achievable and more politically palatable.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Lib Dem conference is debating sex work. There's a rather clear gender split; the men are opposing decriminalisation.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LOL. But fine by me. You've heard the people Theresa, dont stand in their way. Let the referendum happen.

Jose posted:

Aye, Lebedev should have offered it to good, respected journalists like Michael Gove or Boris Johnson.

What I'm saying is gently caress off journalists, you're almost all hacks.

TinTower posted:

Lib Dem conference is debating sex work. There's a rather clear gender split; the men are opposing decriminalisation.

I'm more worried about why the Lib Dems aren't opposing poverty tbh.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Prince John posted:

Interesting disparity between the real and the imagined level of expected acceptance there.

Still a bizarre question though, who the gently caress wants to talk about their sexuality at work?

LGBT people who are friendly with their coworkers wanna talk about their dates or stuff their SO or spouse did just as much as straight people

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Prince John posted:

I mean I don't know what your workplace is like but in my office people talk about their husbands/wives/etc pretty often. I knew two of my colleagues were gay because they mentioned their boyfriends in passing. That's 'talking about your sexuality at work'.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Private Speech posted:

I recently had a chat with this formerly-labour-supporting older chap who is now 100% behind May. His reason? There's far too many teenage pregnancies and young people are workshy and get everything given to them, not like he had in the 60s. I disagreed with him about the teenage pregnancies but didn't really have any stats to back it up, it just seemed wrong. Few days later I read this article in the Graun and it's just, uhh, what do you even say to someone who believes in the complete opposite of reality?

(As a side note a quick skim of the column would not exactly give you impression that teenage pregnancy rates are historically low, either.)

Less than before can still constitute "far too many" (insert immigration analogy here), but I thik the overriding message here is that an 11 year old girl is due to give birth. Then again, I guess it's not a teenage pregnancy.

LemonDrizzle posted:

Brexit/Scotland

This seems pretty logical - "They should stay with us and enjoy our freedom, but there's no way in hell I'll let them stand in the way of ours". I'm desperately trying not to invoke Braveheart at this point.

Dabir posted:

whatever it is it's a poll that should really be mostly about LGBT people being answered by over two-thirds straight people who think their opinion's worth so loving much.

Do you think they should have specifically targeted LGBT people? How do you suppose they could have done that?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jose posted:

I mean, I hate the Evening Standard and I hate George Osborne, but the level of vitriol is somewhat surprising. Did anyone give the tiniest poo poo when Boris was editing the Spectator? Are there Tory MPs raising their monocles when one of their number writes a column for a broadsheet?
Is anyone still aware that Nick Clegg exists and is a regular contributor to the Evening Standard?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lib Dem Conference votes for sex work decriminalisation policy, a day after SNP Conference votes for a Nordic Model policy. The last part makes this kind of a bitter pill, tbh.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

Lib Dem Conference votes for sex work decriminalisation policy, a day after SNP Conference votes for a Nordic Model policy. The last part makes this kind of a bitter pill, tbh.
See how well the abortive decriminalised red light district went down in Leeds with the public to see its appetite for legal reform wrt sex work.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's probably for the best that they included options for "I'm not LGBT but I must give you the benefit of my vast wisdom" because otherwise they'd just pollute the sensible options.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

I mean, I hate the Evening Standard and I hate George Osborne, but the level of vitriol is somewhat surprising. Did anyone give the tiniest poo poo when Boris was editing the Spectator? Are there Tory MPs raising their monocles when one of their number writes a column for a broadsheet?
Is anyone still aware that Nick Clegg exists and is a regular contributor to the Evening Standard?

They're scared of retired politicians coming for ~their jerbs~. It's supposed to go the other way you see.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jBrereton posted:

See how well the abortive decriminalised red light district went down in Leeds with the public to see its appetite for legal reform wrt sex work.

You must have a different view of "abortive" as the council made the Holbeck managed area permanent last year.

Still, we shouldn't dismiss doing the humane thing just because it's unpopular. The public still back the death penalty, after all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

Editing a daily paper & writing a column or even editing a magazine are slightly different beasts. Editing a daily is going to be a full time job. So is being an MP. In essence, he can't do both jobs, and the people of his constituency have a right to feel aggrieved he won't be giving them their full attention. And yeah, people said the same about Boris back in the day.

Also, journalists are mad they got passed over so the owner of the paper can have another famous & powerful pal.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's probably for the best that they included options for "I'm not LGBT but I must give you the benefit of my vast wisdom" because otherwise they'd just pollute the sensible options.

Heterophobia aside, I think it was a clever poll as it answers two questions at once while giving everyone who saw it a chance to share their opinion, while the main take-away from it is that just over 50% of LGBT people who responded feel comfortable enough to be themselves at work, which is a positive thing. The other question answered shows that ~60% of non-LGBT people do not believe it would be an issue, which is far harder to qualify outside of personal experience but is still positive.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Ahh, here's the corpse of Gordon Brown, rolled out to shout "more powers" and offer the kingdom of heaven.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

You must have a different view of "abortive" as the council made the Holbeck managed area permanent last year.
Yeah public and especially local business hates it though and I would assume local representation is going to change because of it and it may well be scrapped.

Like in an era when we're rejecting technocracy, you don't want to be the guys who brought in a secret panel to maintain decriminalised sex work even after people are being murdered after getting picked up, and all the national and international press about the area turns into leering "reportage" about prostitutes and their addictions.

TinTower posted:

Still, we shouldn't dismiss doing the humane thing just because it's unpopular. The public still back the death penalty, after all.
I think the public in general agrees with the idea that being a prostitute should not wind you up in jail but being a pimp should. I don't think the police's apparent interpretation of the law which is to lock up junkie prostitutes and see if they can't deport them too because it's very easy is very popular.

If the policy of the party was quash convictions for being a prostitute, they might find some takers for it, and it would be very humane. If the policy is going to be full legalisations of whatever size brothels you want like in Germany, and to let pimps off for their convictions? Nah. There's often a whole different level of coercion involved in sex work compared to regular work, and people do not see pimps, especially those that import women, as legitimate businessmen.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Yeah public and especially local business hates it though and I would assume local representation is going to change because of it and it may well be scrapped.

Like in an era when we're rejecting technocracy, you don't want to be the guys who brought in a secret panel to maintain decriminalised sex work even after people are being murdered after getting picked up, and all the national and international press about the area turns into leering "reportage" about prostitutes and their addictions.

You're talking about Holbeck, though; who else are they going to vote for, the Greens?

The managed zone is one of the few good things Leeds City Council has done, in between loving up the local transport plan and councillors not paying their council tax. It's widely viewed in Leeds as a success.

Besides, Holbeck is in the process of being regenerated to take advantage of HS2 station's opportunities, so.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

I do wonder whether a non-prison route for veterans guilty of crimes (even violent ones) due to their mental health is an appropriate thing in the short term - e.g. some secure facility that is much less poo poo than prison, given the state is partially responsible for their condition.

Prison has zero ability to do anything constructive with the mental health of inmates. I hold no hope of that changing across the whole prison estate, but maybe in the short term doing something about the smaller number of veteran inmates would be achievable and more politically palatable.

I'd much rather a fence at the top than an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. They wouldn't drop someone with a still-bleeding chest wound off at the station with a travel warrant, but there's almost no attempt to screen for mental health issues at discharge (or at intake for that matter). Just about the only way to get any kind of mental health treatment is to ask for it, repeatedly and loudly, and I think we all know just how well that works.

Discharge from service has always been associated with much higher crime and homelessness rates even for people who never left the country - and when I say always I mean "literally since the beginning of organised militaries". The shock of going from having every second of your life organised for you to having to deal with everything yourself is crippling to an awful lot of people. And yet, apart from the occasional half-hearted attempts at easing the transition (which of course go completely out of the window when there's a large number of discharges), nothing is ever done to ensure that a service member is ready for civilian life. Throw in PTSD, survivor guilt, and all the other psychic nasties of warfare, and it's a recipe for disaster.

(Strangely the exact same problems, with the exact same lack of help and the exact same outcomes, exist in most of the country for those who have spent a childhood in care, and of course for prisoners leaving prison)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

What's with the popularity of the Nordic model? "Your job is now legal but we're going to scare away all your customers except for those who don't care about breaking the law." sounds like the worst of all possible options.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

What's with the popularity of the Nordic model? "Your job is now legal but we're going to scare away all your customers except for those who don't care about breaking the law." sounds like the worst of all possible options.

It plays well with the Hooker with a Heart of Gold trope the public believe in.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

kingturnip posted:

Writing a column is something you could do in a few hours - it's not totally unreasonable for someone to have that as a second job. Editing a large newspaper is something that ought to take up most of a working week.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Prince John posted:

A poo poo-ton of prisoners have mental issues and even more can accurately blame the state in some way for their condition. So yes, prison should be like you describe but it should be that way for everyone. Not some two tier system where if you've been in the army you get the 'good prison' as a reward. We already fetishise our state sponsored killers enough already.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If anything else resulted in that amount of violence and incarceration the government would ban it within minutes. Unless it was alcohol.

Ban them both and have every commune raise two score of pikemen, a dozen archers, and one-quarter acre for the cultivation of hemp. :2bong:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/youngliberalsuk/status/843073347130970112

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Abolish our standing army and have the government raise ad hoc forces whenever we launch a military campaign in my opinion, like they did in the middle ages.

I'd happily sign up for 6 months for the opportunity to do some looting in the French provinces.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Having a standing army during peacetime is bad, which is why we now have wars against abstract concepts to ensure that we never have peacetime.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Young liberals do suk it's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
"Before standing armies we would never go to war over abstract ideas or, more pointedly, territorial disputes the average Brit does not care about" claim those with a sketchy at best understanding of history.

• Locked thread