Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mordja posted:

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Nomura doesn't strike me as a cocaine man. Jenkem, otoh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Kai Tave posted:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how incredible it is that Kingdom Hearts even exists at all? The idea that someone said "what if we could make a JRPG, but also have your party members be Donald Duck and Goofy?" and it got approved is proof-positive that even the craziest of dreams can come true.

Disney's strategy for gaming is very cyclical in the sense that they start by licensing their IP to developers, start self-publishing games for a bigger slice of the pie, downsize when they expand too quickly, and repeat the pattern again. I think we're at the point where they work with Square-Enix again by licensing them their IPs. Eidos is working on Marvel games.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

With KH2 I'd argue the opening is one of the best parts, to be honest.

The first 3 hours and the last like 2~ hours are probably the best in that game.

I haven't played KH2 in like a decade but the entire appeal of the original game was mashing up colorful Disney stuff for children and melodramatic Square teen angst in a way that appealed to people who were outside of Disney's usual target audience but still had nostalgia for it, opening KH2 with a bittersweet vignette about moving on from your childhood even if means having to say goodbye to the friends you grew up with absolutely fits in with that even if they kind of hosed it up by requiring you to play a drat GBA game to completion to actually know what was going on.

Kai Tave posted:

Can we just take a minute to appreciate how incredible it is that Kingdom Hearts even exists at all? The idea that someone said "what if we could make a JRPG, but also have your party members be Donald Duck and Goofy?" and it got approved is proof-positive that even the craziest of dreams can come true.

Disney was always desperate for something, anything to appeal to boys since their fanbase skewed overwhelmingly towards women. That's why they bought Marvel and later Star Wars.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 18, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's absolutely amazing just how much nomura hosed up his own franchise with constantly retconning more or less every single plot point of the original kingdom hearts.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

What if we got the original pitch where Sora was a lion-boy who wielded a chainsaw? :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
no we're talking about tetsuya nomura not suda51

FirstAidKite posted:

It's absolutely amazing just how much nomura hosed up his own franchise with constantly retconning more or less every single plot point of the original kingdom hearts.

whoa wait what? kingdom hearts... is darkness?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope that KHIII is primarily gummi ship focused

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
KH2 was one of the best star fox games since 64

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

i hope that KHIII is primarily gummi ship focused

There's an early access game on Steam called Avorion that looks like they took the Gummi Ship builder, made it way more complex, and then bolted it onto a space sim.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That looks awesome. Is it any good?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPqj6WaTFOE

God drat

Lol at the end where the sword is just way too heavy so they have to drop it on stuff instead

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i went snack shopping and the total came to $13.37. nice

tonight i finish the first year of stardew valley

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finished Breath of the Wild (well, got the true ending, still haven't gotten all the shrines)

One of the best games ever made I think. Yeah, yeah, technical issues and there are a few poor design decisions, but god drat as a total experience it's right up there with the best of 'em. Everyone who ever wants to make an open world game in the future should have to study BotW very closely because I think there's a lot to learn from it about how to make open-ended exploration actually fun and player-driven.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPqj6WaTFOE

God drat

Lol at the end where the sword is just way too heavy so they have to drop it on stuff instead

Man at Arms: Reforged, is really cool, but I don't always understand the decisions they make. Like, on the one hand, they seem committed to not "cheating", but they also make really weird, seemingly arbitrary structural choices that aren't "realistic". Like, yeah, it's a ludicrously sized sword, but they could have built it in a way that made mire sense froma design perspective and still had the complete outward appearance of the Greatsword of Artorias and also been lighter.

They are good at what they do, though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

KH2 was one of the best star fox games since 64

I respectfully disagree

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

oddium posted:

> [LEG]

leg missing... could be a legripper

> [HEAD]

head's gone... headripper maybe

late but lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

That's the case with every weapon they make lol

Snak posted:

Man at Arms: Reforged, is really cool, but I don't always understand the decisions they make. Like, on the one hand, they seem committed to not "cheating", but they also make really weird, seemingly arbitrary structural choices that aren't "realistic". Like, yeah, it's a ludicrously sized sword, but they could have built it in a way that made mire sense froma design perspective and still had the complete outward appearance of the Greatsword of Artorias and also been lighter.

Yep

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Just spent hours doin what offline testing i could to fix my computer since the start menu would stop working, steam wouldnt connect and no browser worked.

Use cmd to make a new user, everything works. All that time i couldve been gaming and drinking. Wtf windows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Windows is garbage. I've used it my whole life and it sucks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

http://i.imgur.com/U3XBRTy.gifv

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

ImpAtom posted:

Kingdom Hearts has had new entries in the franchise on a regular basis including a prequel which is basically as much a KH3 as KH3 will end up being. It isn't like nothing has come out between KH2 and KH3.

Edit: Like for good or ill KH3 has a ton of poo poo that is going to assume you played through the prequel and sequel games outside of KH2. Otherwise you're gonna have no loving idea who the poo poo these Aqua/Ventus/Terra people are.

As far as I can tell the plot of 3 is that the series' main villain has used time travel to collect the different versions of himself from all the different games, and now they have formed a bad guy team that is going to do... something. And Sora has to stop them. Idk why the head writer looked at the plot up to that point and thought "yeah, this is okay but it could really use some time travel", but here we are :shrug:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The future is so strange, it's incomprehensible to us. For example, the 29th century walk

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

this is from the new Migos video

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3B5_HfH9FU

gently caress this song and several others that are in this general area of the GH World Tour setlist. Man, this one really dips in song choice partway through for some reason.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

The future is so strange, it's incomprehensible to us. For example, the 29th century walk

No, she's just been struck by a Smooth Criminal.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Kingdom Hearts has had new entries in the franchise on a regular basis including a prequel which is basically as much a KH3 as KH3 will end up being. It isn't like nothing has come out between KH2 and KH3.

Edit: Like for good or ill KH3 has a ton of poo poo that is going to assume you played through the prequel and sequel games outside of KH2. Otherwise you're gonna have no loving idea who the poo poo these Aqua/Ventus/Terra people are.

Better than Bioware games that expect you to have read videogame tie-in novels. Some of the non-numbered KH entries are good, even.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

gently caress this song and several others that are in this general area of the GH World Tour setlist. Man, this one really dips in song choice partway through for some reason.

You've hit the part where they focus on cool songs for other parts, looks like. That's definitely a Drums song.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Did you ever finish that 15 minute song you were working on

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

All Day I Dream About Space

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I feel bad for all the people on the Mass Effect Andromeda team who probably knew about every single animation bug people are finding and just didn't have time to fix them. That has to be really frustrating.

I'm sure there are a few who are treating those as known shippables or whatever, but there have to be QAers and animators who would kill for a chance to get that poo poo fixed so it doesn't reflect on them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Help Im Alive posted:

Did you ever finish that 15 minute song you were working on

Sort of! I made the shorter 6-ish minute version I was talking about but I haven't done the full 15 mins yet because I'm so not interested in charting the noodling. But I haven't recorded video of it yet, maybe I'll do that today.

Grapplejack posted:

You've hit the part where they focus on cool songs for other parts, looks like. That's definitely a Drums song.

Yeah, that's probably true. They tried to pick and choose songs that are good for a hypothetical full band but sometimes they missed the mark imo. I imagine it's a lot harder to do that consistently than just songs with rippin' guitar.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I see the Ministry of Silly Walks has lasted well into the future.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo there are some insane meltdowns over in the Andromeda thread even by "oh those silly game poster!" standards. Not quoting them here to import the drama, head on over there and take a look at today's posts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

am I just not seeing it or is there some reason why there's no thread for Sniper Elite 4? it's a really good game..

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Earwicker posted:

am I just not seeing it or is there some reason why there's no thread for Sniper Elite 4? it's a really good game..

Same, but Hollow Knight.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Be the change you want to see in the forums and make a thread!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Be the change you want to see in the forums and make a thread!

Always wonderful advice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

starting a thread in this forum seems like a bit more complex job than in a normal forum, like you need to be an expert on the game & series and make special graphical headers & lists of resources and poo poo. I like SE4 a lot so far but I'm only halfway through and its my first game in the series, I'm not sure I'm really qualified..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Earwicker posted:

starting a thread in this forum seems like a bit more complex job than in a normal forum, like you need to be an expert on the game & series and make special graphical headers & lists of resources and poo poo. I like SE4 a lot so far but I'm only halfway through and its my first game in the series, I'm not sure I'm really qualified..

You don't need to do this stuff

• Locked thread