Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Who the gently caress still constructs buildings out of wood?

Almost everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Almost everyone?

My house is wood but my shithouse is brick.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JoelJoel posted:

Who the gently caress still constructs buildings out of wood?

fuckin everyone?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Judging by the crane and the size of the blaze, it doesn't look like some cheap, suburban residence. poo poo's concrete and metal in the developed world.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not only do they build all houses out of wood in north america they also build huge apartment buildings entirely out of the thinnest lightest stick frame wood construction possible. 200 unit apartment? Yeah, all wood. It got sprinklers, no fire risk. Now they can build up to 6 story all wood because the lumber lobby said it would solve housing affordability if we could build 6 story wooden condo blocks.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So you got a special interest lobby influencing crappy building practices? Yeah, probably like that everywhere.

Anyway, I'll tone it back. In the big cities in Canada I've been in, pretty much anything built in the last few decades that's over a couple stories tall is a concrete base build with steel framing. Hell, almost anything from the last century is poured concrete. Suburban sprawl housing is still plywood and 2x4s for the most part, but you hardly need a crane to erect those.

E vvv my bad, sounded American. A six story wood structure sounds osha AF.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 17, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Vancouver is a big city in Canada and it's BC that pushed hard to allow 6 story wood in the code in the name of "affordability" but it's actually in the name of the BC lumber industry.

It's also in the Vancouver area that I've heard inspectors are being told by the city to pretty much never fail any large project built by a deep-pocketed developer because they'll sue the city over it and they can't afford the legal costs and they especially can't afford to look "anti-developer" so tons of shoddy construction is going up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

6 story wood

:stare:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if your building stays erect for over three hours,

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't worry if there's commercial on the bottom floor it has to be concrete. Not the whole building just the bottom floor, then you can put 6 floors of stick frame wood above that to make a 7 story building.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I see you've never been to Northern Arizona.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Vancouver is a big city in Canada and it's BC that pushed hard to allow 6 story wood in the code in the name of "affordability" but it's actually in the name of the BC lumber industry.

It's also in the Vancouver area that I've heard inspectors are being told by the city to pretty much never fail any large project built by a deep-pocketed developer because they'll sue the city over it and they can't afford the legal costs and they especially can't afford to look "anti-developer" so tons of shoddy construction is going up.

Nobody fuckin lives in them anyways, they're investment condos.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

JoelJoel posted:

So you got a special interest lobby influencing crappy building practices? Yeah, probably like that everywhere.

Hell, in Wisconsin a building lobby almost had a proposal snuck in to the building codes that would've removed the requirements for sprinkler systems in apartment buildings with three-twenty units.

As is, they turned down a requirement for GFCIs for new construction because not having the requirement saves a few hundred dollars, which would apparently be the difference in affordable housing and not affordable or some bullshit.

So yeah.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A developer in BC specifically called out basic building regulations on using door handles rather than old school smooth knobs as a cause for inflating housing prices.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
BJ and I also live in a city that is statistically expected to have a magnitude 9 or higher earthquake within the next 50 to 100 years. Which buildings will fall easier, the concrete or the wood? I guess we'll find out!

(Trick question, it will be the 50-75 year old brick and mortar public schools that the government is resisting seismically upgrading)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

186 posted:

Hell, in Wisconsin a building lobby almost had a proposal snuck in to the building codes that would've removed the requirements for sprinkler systems in apartment buildings with three-twenty units.

As is, they turned down a requirement for GFCIs for new construction because not having the requirement saves a few hundred dollars, which would apparently be the difference in affordable housing and not affordable or some bullshit.

So yeah.
I've never seen a sprinkler system in any apartment ever, only in offices. What a shithole, right.

Though maybe it's because we don't build poo poo out of wood and cardboard here any more, :wtc:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Sometimes fire is purple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_jLmAB3leA&t=211s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vanagoon posted:

Does it get more OSHA than nuclear testing?

These recently declassified nuclear test videos are utterly mesmerizing, terrifying
Sat in vaults for decades, Lawrence Livermore National Lab is putting them on YouTube.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/these-recently-declassified-nuclear-test-videos-are-utterly-mesmerizing-terrifying/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PCN1MF1RU

Love this link at the end of the article
loving crackpot flat earthers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSOoY7PQWKw

I was chatting with a dude on twitter who is doing his phd on nuclear anthropology and I learned about the nuclear double flash which is not only neat science but can also be used to determine the yield of an atmospheric test.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Memento posted:

nuclear anthropology

:eyepop:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can't fool me. That is clearly a rift into hell from which unearthly energies are flowing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

6 story wood

?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Vanagoon posted:

Does it get more OSHA than nuclear testing?

These recently declassified nuclear test videos are utterly mesmerizing, terrifying
Sat in vaults for decades, Lawrence Livermore National Lab is putting them on YouTube.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/these-recently-declassified-nuclear-test-videos-are-utterly-mesmerizing-terrifying/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54PCN1MF1RU

Love this link at the end of the article
loving crackpot flat earthers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSOoY7PQWKw

drat those are cool, thanks for the links.

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 26, 2017

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG9yyzW-XQ8

This pilot is prepared for the advent of the circular runway.

it never PH-LUU again

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wall Balls posted:

it never PH-LUU again

This isn't my hat!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Wall Balls posted:

it never PH-LUU again

:ughh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh it gets better the diffuse layer of fallout products from atmospheric nuclear testing creates such an unmistakably clear and durable boundary strata that we have entered a new geological epoch of our own creation. Welcome to the anthropocene.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh it gets better the diffuse layer of fallout products from atmospheric nuclear testing creates such an unmistakably clear and durable boundary strata that we have entered a new geological epoch of our own creation. Welcome to the anthropocene.

Hey, wanna buy some pre-atomic steel?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

shame on an IGA posted:

Literally the only geological epoch whose start time can be narrowed down to an exact point: 0529 UTC -6, July 16, 1945.

spankmeister posted:

Hey, wanna buy some pre-atomic steel?

Actually worth a shitload of money for various radiation detection devices that need to be super sensitive. There's probably steel from the WWI German Navy fleet in the CT scan machine in your local hospital. The German naval commander decided that instead of the Glorious Fleet of the Fatherland be divvied up between the Allied powers after Armistice, he would send it to the bottom of a channel off the north coast of Scotland.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Memento posted:

Literally the only geological epoch whose start time can be narrowed down to an exact point: 0529 UTC -6, July 16, 1945.

Actually worth a shitload of money for various radiation detection devices that need to be super sensitive. There's probably steel from the WWI German Navy fleet in the CT scan machine in your local hospital. The German naval commander decided that instead of the Glorious Fleet of the Fatherland be divvied up between the Allied powers after Armistice, he would send it to the bottom of a channel off the north coast of Scotland.

Which we should be incredibly thankful for, I mean imagine where else we'd have to go to get uncontaminated steel (or iron and carbon? )

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Its possible to make clean steel without dredging up old shipwrecks, its just incredibly expensive and the shipwrecks are cheaper right now. People have started raiding war grave wrecks, so it might not be for much longer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Boiled Water posted:

Which we should be incredibly thankful for, I mean imagine where else we'd have to go to get uncontaminated steel (or iron and carbon? )

Good point, by now they would probably have started dredging up ships that were actually sunk in battle/accidents, given the skeletonised corpses inside a quicky burial at sea then gone about their business.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Memento posted:

Good point, by now they would probably have started dredging up ships that were actually sunk in battle/accidents, given the skeletonised corpses inside a quicky burial at sea then gone about their business.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/16/three-dutch-second-world-war-shipwrecks-vanish-java-sea-indonesia

:(

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
SEA naval graverobbers probably don't have the foresight to sell the ransacked wrecks as pre-atomic steel. They're the large scale equivalent of copper thieves destroying machinery with a resale value of thousands of € for single digits worth of copper.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

loving hell I should have known

:smith:

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

mobby_6kl posted:

I've never seen a sprinkler system in any apartment ever, only in offices. What a shithole, right.

Though maybe it's because we don't build poo poo out of wood and cardboard here any more, :wtc:

My apartment has sprinklers, but I really have to question their efficacy. One is on the wall right above the door, the other is on a wall in my closet. None in the bathroom or bedroom. Then again, this building used to be a hotel and is full of strange architecture. Not sure when it was built or when it was converted into apartments, but my best guess based on other nearby historic buildings puts the original construction around the 1920s or 30s.

Recently an inspector from the city came by to check the building for things like working smoke detectors, obvious code violations, and things that needed immediate repair. He noted that it was rather odd that one of the building's steel support beams runs right through my living room, but at least I know the place isn't made of wood, right? :shrug:

Even stranger than that is the fact that they actually bothered to plaster or drywall over the beam in the room above and below mine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
That's cool, you can use the steel beam to ground all your electric appliances!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Good place to store your jet fuel too.

Ethiopia landslide: Number of dead at rubbish dump hits 113

quote:

The death toll from Saturday's landslide at a vast dump in Ethiopia's capital, Addis Ababa, has now risen to 113 people, local officials say.
A search operation at the Koshe landfill will continue overnight. As many as 150 people are believed to have been at the site during the landslide.
Meanwhile, the funerals of some of the victims have taken place.
The dump, which has served the city of four million for more than five decades, provided shelter for some.
The country is currently observing three days of mourning for those who died.
Hundreds of people attempt to make a living by scavenging at the landfill site, sifting through the rubbish for items they can sell. Some resided at the rubbish dump permanently.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39279210

What a rotten way to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Fire sprinklers are actually really important in residential buildings even if they are constructed from non-combustible materials. There is more than enough flammable material in your bed/sofa/curtains/rugs to kill you even if the fire never spreads to your neighbors apt due to the concrete walls.

Bees on Wheat posted:

My apartment has sprinklers, but I really have to question their efficacy. One is on the wall right above the door, the other is on a wall in my closet. None in the bathroom or bedroom. Then again, this building used to be a hotel and is full of strange architecture. Not sure when it was built or when it was converted into apartments, but my best guess based on other nearby historic buildings puts the original construction around the 1920s or 30s.

Recently an inspector from the city came by to check the building for things like working smoke detectors, obvious code violations, and things that needed immediate repair. He noted that it was rather odd that one of the building's steel support beams runs right through my living room, but at least I know the place isn't made of wood, right? :shrug:

Even stranger than that is the fact that they actually bothered to plaster or drywall over the beam in the room above and below mine.

Building codes for hotel renovations usually don't require fire sprinklers in bathrooms, but do in closets, so that part makes sense. Not having one in the bedroom is super huge, so are you sure it isnt concealed somewhere along the wall or behind a white plate on the ceiling? If not, I'd imagine that perhaps your room got the short end of the remodel(considering your steal beam decor) and the sprinkler head that is supposed to be there got plugged off by accident!

Source: I design fire sprinkler systems