Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Colgate posted:

But really, they kind of wrote themselves into a corner with the whole Jedi vs Sith deal, when they implied that the Empire was losing pretty quickly, so these threats from unknown space kind of make sense to keep the plot going.

Maybe we'll fight the Yuuzhan Vong in the next expansion. I'm sure that would go over well.

The story on Makeb is about boosting the Empire to an even footing though, it's just after that they went for the whole alliance vs Revan thing and realised it was easier to write one unified faction story rather than one for Pubs and one for Imps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Colgate posted:

Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm curious what you're measuring the writing against. I find the writing, while not the greatest, not particularly offensive or anything like I do with WoW's. It's pretty par for the course for a Bioware game.

Other Bioware games generally involve the player character being an important part of the story, instead of a personality-less witness to Lana overthrowing Zakuul and without the "Hey people like Game of Thrones, right?" constant nonsense of Valkorion, Senya, and the kids. Other Bioware games also don't constantly introduce new characters, have them be important for an hour, and promptly drop them from the story seldom to be mentioned again.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Cythereal posted:

Other Bioware games generally involve the player character being an important part of the story, instead of a personality-less witness to Lana overthrowing Zakuul and without the "Hey people like Game of Thrones, right?" constant nonsense of Valkorion, Senya, and the kids. Other Bioware games also don't constantly introduce new characters, have them be important for an hour, and promptly drop them from the story seldom to be mentioned again.

Other Bioware games aren't six year old engines for sucking money out of gambling addicts with shoestring production budgets.

The end is nigh for SWTOR. I just wonder what's in the pipeline to replace it and get subscription numbers back up.

I hope they learn from their mistakes with the VO stuff and make a game with more actual choices and consequences.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Chickenwalker posted:

Other Bioware games aren't six year old engines for sucking money out of gambling addicts with shoestring production budgets.

The end is nigh for SWTOR. I just wonder what's in the pipeline to replace it and get subscription numbers back up.

I hope they learn from their mistakes with the VO stuff and make a game with more actual choices and consequences.

I don't think they'll do another Star Wars MMO. I see them going more the Overwatch route if they do MMO. People want action. I would imagine a KOTOR3 would happen before another MMORPG.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I am a huge, huge Star Wars fan, but sometimes I wish they'd just made a Mass Effect MMO instead, so they would not be restrained by somebody else's canon and continuity and they could just do whatever the gently caress they wanted, without being in this damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the audience.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I am a huge, huge Star Wars fan, but sometimes I wish they'd just made a Mass Effect MMO instead, so they would not be restrained by somebody else's canon and continuity and they could just do whatever the gently caress they wanted, without being in this damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the audience.

I'd trade this game for a Mass Effect MMO in a second. They even have a whole new galaxy for us to gently caress up now.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do not want a mass effect MMO because I want more mass effect games and if they turn the franchise into an MMO then they will probably go all warcraft on us and never make a new one

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I do not want a mass effect MMO because I want more mass effect games and if they turn the franchise into an MMO then they will probably go all warcraft on us and never make a new one

Or, appropriately, KOTOR.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I just don't really think MMOs work for those kinds of stories. There generally has to be some degree of staticness, and I think I would just rather have a regular game or something with co-op instead of another MMO.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

Or, appropriately, KOTOR.

That's a much more on-point example and I can't believe I didn't think of it

Colgate posted:

I just don't really think MMOs work for those kinds of stories. There generally has to be some degree of staticness, and I think I would just rather have a regular game or something with co-op instead of another MMO.

SWTOR does it better than most, but MMOs are pretty bad for storytelling games yeah. Like I tried to get back into WoW, and if you want to catch up on the story then you really just have to read the wiki because good luck trying to follow the plot thread in-game.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Revan was like the Lich King off WoW. It was the best connection to KOTOR, and that card got burned years ago. I don't see any type of KOTOR 3 ever coming out.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Gearing is a whole new argument too, with a lot of people saying tanks should be using DPS B mods instead of tank mods. I'm not 100% sold on that (for PvP it makes sense, but not sure about PvE). You can pretty much just follow the "balance shield/absorb" and you should be good. But none of that really matters until you're doing actual hard endgame stuff.

Since my Sorc is full 242 I've been working on my Jugg, you can fly through GC lvls as a Tank of course. Been running B mods and DPS relics, all crafted 240's. I've tanked HM EV, KP, EC, and DF so far with no issue.

Chapters I-IX of KotFE were alright but then Chapter X happened and woof. The momentum died right there.

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
Hey Bioware, sell the original Tracer Missile animation on the Cartel Market and I'll tell you how to fix Mercenaries. I know you value my feedback since it was my feedback (that you went overboard with) that made Mercs overpowered in the first place.

I'd post on your forums but I'm not throwing $60 away just to make one post.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Man I haven't played the game in like 2 years, and Dark Juno is still posting about that dumb poo poo.

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
Well I'd like to come back and play this game again, but it's unplayable right now without the original Tracer Missile animation.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dark Juno posted:

Well I'd like to come back and play this game again, but it's unplayable right now without the original Tracer Missile animation.

Good lord. Good grief. Goodness me.
I cannot believe you have kept this gimmick up for so many months.

In fact it is nearly a year and a quarter of that was on probation for this gimmick. Hats off to you.

Also, please stop.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

VideoGames posted:

In fact it is nearly a year and a quarter of that was on probation for this gimmick. Hats off to you.

Also, please stop.

His gimmick is in the thread title. What if we're the actual gimmicks? :tinfoil: :aaaaa:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

VideoGames posted:

Also, please stop.

He'll never stop VG. This is a sacred mission of his, for whatever brainbroke reason.

So how is mining these days?

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Bilirubin posted:

He'll never stop VG. This is a sacred mission of his, for whatever brainbroke reason.

You load sixteen tons, and what do you get?

Another day older and deeper in debt.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Also, please stop.

More than a year if you consider he's been doing it on the official forums and Reddit as well! Dedication!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Medullah posted:

More than a year if you consider he's been doing it on the official forums and Reddit as well! Dedication!

You're kidding me... Good lord!

Bilirubin posted:

Mining is, as ever, the most chill of all video gaming experiences I've had. I can now pilot every single Ore Mining vessel!! :D

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

VideoGames posted:

Mining is, as ever, the most chill of all video gaming experiences I've had. I can now pilot every single Ore Mining vessel!! :D
Congrats! I know it was a goal of yours, so well done!

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
A compromise...we bring back the old Tracer animation but it has a 20% chance of making the Merc's pants drop causing knockdown for 2 seconds.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

A compromise...we bring back the old Tracer animation but it has a 20% chance of making the Merc's pants drop causing knockdown for 2 seconds.

Hahaha no, it catches the merc's pants and flies off in a random direction with them.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Can I get an guild invite? I keep searching goon and that's no goon and I can't find anyone.

I'm "Gamer's Rights"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

steakmancer posted:

Can I get an guild invite? I keep searching goon and that's no goon and I can't find anyone.

I'm "Gamer's Rights"

I'm not home right now or I'd log in - a lot of people are on a break from the game, your best bet is to log into the Discord in the OP and ask if anyone can hop on and invite you.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Hahaha no, it catches the merc's pants and flies off in a random direction with them.

And then he slams into a skiff and falls into the Sarlacc. Just like his role model.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty decent actually - the open world levels reminds me of leveling in SWTOR. Oh the memories :3:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tezzeract posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is pretty decent actually - the open world levels reminds me of leveling in SWTOR. Oh the memories :3:

By far the most damning thing I've heard about Andromeda yet.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Sounds like a good idea for a regen item.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Whee, finally out of cat jail.

And tracer missile's old animation was firing a dumb looking missile the size of your entire arm from a wrist launcher, right? I'm glad if that's gone.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
No, it's the current fusion missile animation that has you bend over and launch from your jetpack.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, just to clarify his campaign: The animation isn't gone it's just on a different skill that you don't use as often.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

This is what a Merc was like originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAq7P9HIRjU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, just to clarify his campaign: The animation isn't gone it's just on a different skill that you don't use as often.

With the incorrect sound effects, just to clarify.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Honestly the bigger travesty is the change to the SW Ravage animation which now no longer exists on any skills but is used by the occasional npc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aleth posted:

Honestly the bigger travesty is the change to the SW Ravage animation which now no longer exists on any skills but is used by the occasional npc.

I miss the moves they took out around 2.0. Still don't understand why they got rid of every "only works on stunned enemies" move - Inquisitor drop kick, Bounty Hunter shoulder charge, Warrior hilt smash. Also miss my Operative having *2* sub 30% health moves, Eviscerate and Headshot if I remember correctly. Of course I also miss Hidden Strike knocking enemies down by default without wasting a utility point too. :D

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Of course I also miss Hidden Strike knocking enemies down by default without wasting a utility point too. :D

And it hit for 50% HP on a crit. A little bit of luck and it was Hidden Strike->Backstab->Shiv->Lacerate and done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dark Juno posted:

With the incorrect sound effects, just to clarify.

No one cares.

• Locked thread