Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So got home late but just spent 5 and a half hours with the game, i definitely have the full screen bug since I know it's not in 1080p and there's stuttering too. No crashes and performance outside of that was real good, stuttering was more limited to the desert and loading new areas. Hardware is Rx480 and I7-3770 for those interested.

Really loving the game so far, the music has been really phenomenal, combats so good, and being completely unspoiled on the game (early game spoilers) I had no idea about the amusement park or even its boss and it awe-struck me. Really good game so far, and I have high hopes for the rest of it!

Edit: wanted to mention, any on the fence for pc I'd highly suggest a controller, I tried pc controls for a bit and uh that sucked.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Dang :( Maybe I'll get used to it, otherwise it seems like a cool game. I basically just got to the part where you can save and took a break. My controller felt janky, like sometimes my character would just revert to walking slow and I'd have to stop and hit the analog stick again to start running again. Probably just need to calibrate it in ds4 windows or something though

If you hit debris they'll stumble and slow down. Or it might be a controller thing I dunno.

The viewpoint changing is good because a) cinematic as poo poo b) forces player adaptation and c) let's them mess around with game space and level design where the third person camera would be restrictive.

There's really cool set pieces that would not work with an over the shoulder angle.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Nuebot posted:

This desert is pretty big.

Is there another pod to find here, or like are those plot items? Because I'm just scouring every inch of this place and it's easy to get lost. I found that oasis though and these locked chests are getting on my nerves.

if you already found one in the desert then that's all there is.

there's another one in a different zone though but you won't be going there for a while.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that the locked chests are second playthrough.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How many people here went in or are going in with 0% idea of Nier other than it was a game and only played or didn't play the demo for this game because I was of these group and the game still blew me away

I did play demo but heard it was open worldish so assumed the demo was just like hey these are some thing that you can do etc

E: I just installed the 9S theme and idk it might be better than the 2B theme

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 18, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mazerunner posted:

if you already found one in the desert then that's all there is.

there's another one in a different zone though but you won't be going there for a while.

I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that the locked chests are second playthrough.

Nah, I didn't find one in the desert but I guess that means there's one to find? I spent some time oil fishing so back to looking for that I guess.

Thanks for telling me though, I kept thinking the locked chests were just missing a skill and so I bought that awful hammer special trying to break them open.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hammer owns 🔨

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

verbal enema posted:

How many people here went in or are going in with 0% idea of Nier other than it was a game and only played or didn't play the demo for this game because I was of these group and the game still blew me away

I did play demo but heard it was open worldish so assumed the demo was just like hey these are some thing that you can do etc

E: I just installed the 9S theme and idk it might be better than the 2B theme

There was a goon in this thread who posted in a way that clearly showed they weren't aware of the fact that 2B, 9S etc weren't human. So yeah some people don't check out anything and just palmslam downloaded the demo(or maybe even the full game?).

As for pc performance trip report:
with the following specs:
windows 7
8GB ram
i5-2500k
GTX 970

The game ran a little better than ps4-levels of performance minus the microstuttering with all the settings maxed out on a gen 2 intel ssd. Turning AA down from x8 to x4 got solid performance gains. I have yet to run a stat overlay but it feels 60 fps at all times now(then again I am used to how it runs on ps4). I'm sort of wondering if the ps4 version even has ambient occlusion, though. It's such a resource hog for relative small visual gains, it may be the thing to tweak to stabilize matters further if needed.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Hammer owns 🔨

It always goes over the target and hits behind them when I use it. :shrug:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nuebot posted:

It always goes over the target and hits behind them when I use it. :shrug:

I hold it until I get a perfect dash them bammo them

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ok has anyone hosed with the voice transmission effect?

Do it now

Drop it to zero

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Ok has anyone hosed with the voice transmission effect?

Do it now

There's a voice transmission effect?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Nuebot posted:

There's a voice transmission effect?

settings other voice changer

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

verbal enema posted:

settings other voice changer

I don't have it yet, I assume it's NG+

Also, turns out the pod in the desert emits a really high pitched beep when you're near it. Found that, it seems like it'll be selectively useful. Gatling gets the job done for regular dudes.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I'm actually really surprised the Emil questline isn't mandatory. It's such a huge treat if you played the first game

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Aaaarg super secret boss stuff:

so I beat it first try, but let him self-destruct for the ending

then I failed several times

then I beat it... but the self-destructing one spawned on top of geometry and I couldn't get to it

:argh:

AND NOW IT SPAWNED BEHIND INVISIBLE WALLS WHAT

e; finally

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 18, 2017

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
So there's no way to get into those locked doors behind the apologetic machines, right?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Rhonne posted:

So there's no way to get into those locked doors behind the apologetic machines, right?

Nope. Yoko Taro said they're just there to tease the player and have no other consequence. But it's Yoko Taro, so maybe he's saying there's nothing to hide the fact that there is something amazing?!?!?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Rhonne posted:

Correct. As to whether or not we ever will: no one knows. Some things point to yes, others to no.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

verbal enema posted:

Hammer owns 🔨

It's such a letdown compared to the awesome hand word from the first game. I kinda feel that way about a lot of the programs but I'm sure part of that is that you don't get to enjoy the great and powerful Grimoire Weiss explaining that words are sound, sound is blood and blood... IS POWER

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

It's such a letdown compared to the awesome hand word from the first game. I kinda feel that way about a lot of the programs but I'm sure part of that is that you don't get to enjoy the great and powerful Grimoire Weiss explaining that words are sound, sound is blood and blood... IS POWER

Yeah I'm super disappointed there's no Dark Fist. Like, if they released Nier spell DLC I would buy it in a heart beat then never use anything but Dark Fist just like I did in the original game. Because you simply can not do better than casting Fist. Oh well, I guess shooting dudes with lasers on a whim will have to do.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I beat the game. It was awesome. Around the time 9S is despairing and going insane, I started fearing that the game was going to spiral a bit too far into surreal negativity and suffering. You really end up in that familiar place where it seems like not playing the game is the only way to prevent further suffering for the characters. But then the end credits game flips that on its head by turning "keep playing!" into a way to counteract all the negativity that happens in the story. More or less... When you play Nier:Automata, the act of playing just propels the characters into deeper despair and nihilism, but when you, the player, are compelled to keep playing the final game section, it's framed as an affirmation that life has meaning and that people all over the planet can communicate and help one another. It's almost like... Moralizing, in a way, like it's explaining what you should take away from the story. It's weird, because in just about any other piece of writing, telling you the moral of the story would be such a really stupid, hammy way to end things, but in this game it really works. I think part of it is that the game isn't explaining these virtues to you, but is rather having you experience them firsthand--and even gives you a chance to back out if you don't agree. And I think another thing is that it connects to a basic sense of compassion for the characters--"If I can do this to help them have a happy ending, it's worth it." In a way, you're providing the compassion that the characters never received in the story. The fact that you have to defeat the game designers to get the happy ending is really awesome.

Basically, I guess I'm really surprised. For as crazy as the plot gets, and how bizarre and surreal many of the sequences in the game are, it seems like it's actually a really refreshing and frank game about the importance of doing right by people and trying to understand those around you. And not even in a sappy platitude way, but in a way that feels very genuine and real. Like "please don't make the mistakes in judgment that these characters make. Please value the lives of other people and act in a way that supports that."

I pretty much feel like I've been playing video games for my whole life and this is the one that I've been waiting all this time for.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Defiance Industries posted:

I was really hoping you'd at least get red recolored programs using the Weiss pod skin

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-nier-automata-director-taro-yoko-w472664

Only safe after ending E, I think.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Bugblatter posted:

Nope. Yoko Taro said they're just there to tease the player and have no other consequence. But it's Yoko Taro, so maybe he's saying there's nothing to hide the fact that there is something amazing?!?!?

Taro Yoko is almost definitely lying/making a funny. We got DLC for Drakengard 3. We got 6 pieces of DLC for Drakengard 3.

Drakengard 3 was made on a budget of $300 and whatever change Taro Yoko was able to fish out between his car seats.

Automata will have DLC.

And from what I've heard, some people have already found evidence of such in the Steam version.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
This game doesn't seem to want to run on my PC. I get a little way into the tutorial level (typically up to the first giant buzzsaw), then the screen freezes. Just the visuals though, it sounds like there's still stuff going on if I keep pressing buttons. And since Nier disdains such modern luxuries as "autosave", I can't even make any incremental progress.

Specs are:
i7-5920K @3.5GHz processor,
16GB RAM
64bit OS
2* NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

Any ideas to what's going on?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I just got to disneyland and, uh I kind of went hog wild and I think I killed two named machines? Did I just gently caress myself?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
First time playing and I started on hard. That was a mistake. I beat the tutorial, but it took a bit longer than I would have liked.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The_Final_Stand posted:

This game doesn't seem to want to run on my PC. I get a little way into the tutorial level (typically up to the first giant buzzsaw), then the screen freezes. Just the visuals though, it sounds like there's still stuff going on if I keep pressing buttons. And since Nier disdains such modern luxuries as "autosave", I can't even make any incremental progress.

Specs are:
16GB RAM
64bit OS

Not what you want to hear but I've read this is an issue with 780 cards.
Try things on this maybe?
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/600scm/nier_automata_pc_issues_megathread/

Nuebot posted:

So I just got to disneyland and, uh I kind of went hog wild and I think I killed two named machines? Did I just gently caress myself?
Pretty sure you'll be fine, I think they respawn when you leave the area but if not, they'll be back on route B for certain.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Nuebot posted:

No, everything can be redone later. Nothing is missable, except Y ending, which you do at level 99.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Do Visual Cure, Aural Cure and Cure Manipulation..ever do anything? I bought a bunch just in case but I've never been able to actually use them.

Nuebot posted:

Not at all.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The_Final_Stand posted:

Specs are:
16GB RAM
64bit OS

Update graphics drivers if possible, disable SLI if you have it enabled, run in windowed mode if you aren't already (use that borderless gaming app for a borderless windowed mode), and try disabling antialiasing if you have it enabled.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do Visual Cure, Aural Cure and Cure Manipulation..ever do anything? I bought a bunch just in case but I've never been able to actually use them.
Yeah, they do

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pretty sure you'll be fine, I think they respawn when you leave the area but if not, they'll be back on route B for certain.

Well I meant for this run through I guess. Glad I didn't kill this vendor though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Such as?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You'll know when you see it.

Unless you somehow missed it during the start of route C

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You'll know when you see it.

Unless you somehow missed it during the start of route C

I'm just finishing up endings for the Platinum, so. Do they seriously only do anything in that two minutes you run around the EMP bots as 9S? I only got affected by any of that once.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm just finishing up endings for the Platinum, so. Do they seriously only do anything in that two minutes you run around the EMP bots as 9S? I only got affected by any of that once.

They rarely do it in the open world too, but basically yeah

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

6O is the best.

EDIT: This opera boss is kind of poo poo though? Like it's not hard but the over head camera makes it straight up impossible to see anything so I can't dodge.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 18, 2017

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I did not know that changing pods also affects your shots in flight mode until that voice actor stream showed it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I apologize for asking again, but nobody has answered it and Google isn't helping: can you invert y axis on the mouse in this game or not?