Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe another related to my last stupid question stupid question, but should the sound quality coming through my TV's optical port be the same as directly from the PS4's optical port? Does the trip through the HDMI cable change it any?

edit: not counting cosmic rays or whatever.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

The bow thing is annoying. I like having a long range bow and a short range bow but having two short range bows with different elemental modifiers was a bit odd. The climbing could be better but on the other hand, it isn't something you do a lot. I jumped a lot more than I climbed. Jump all the way to the top of Mount Shasta.

Yeah Aloy will only grab green things but there are tons of places you can use incremental jumping to get places. It's far from perfect but I rarely felt like the game was keeping me out of an area unfairly.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

precision posted:

Yeah Aloy will only grab green things but there are tons of places you can use incremental jumping to get places. It's far from perfect but I rarely felt like the game was keeping me out of an area unfairly.

Yeah, I think that is a fair assessment. My gripe is that handholds sometimes blended too well into snowy rock, that and it could be a little jankier than UC which sort of set the bar for spidermaning. Still, minor quibble.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

They are very bright yellow calibrate your tv

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Artificial handholds are yellow, but grabable rock ledges are just white.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

That tv is so hosed precision

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Just do what I did and keep hammering X while holding up on the stick

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just do what I did and keep hammering X while holding up on the stick

You don't even need to hit x 90% of the time. She autoxlimbs anything that doesn't require a jump, and those are few and far between.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

aka bird poop

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe another related to my last stupid question stupid question, but should the sound quality coming through my TV's optical port be the same as directly from the PS4's optical port? Does the trip through the HDMI cable change it any?

edit: not counting cosmic rays or whatever.

These days HDMI is considered better for audio than optical. Edit for proof:

quote:

The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-optical-which-digital-audio-connection-to-use/

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 18, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

That's a level of :shepface: that surpasses :shepface:

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Snak posted:

I really wish they were not yellow isn't easy for me to see so I rarely notice it and the white ledges are basically invisible I just kinda jump around until aloy auto climbs something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cerepol posted:

I really wish they were not yellow isn't easy for me to see so I rarely notice it and the white ledges are basically invisible I just kinda jump around until aloy auto climbs something

How do I get into Sunstone Rock in Horizon Zero Dawn? The gate seems to be shut, and I just saved their asses from a pair of Behemoths

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
There's an entrance to the left of the main gates at ground level.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

You know Horizon really does have some drat good jumping. It feels like I can reasonably Mario hop up almost anything by sheer force of will. As long as you're not hitting an obvious invisible wall.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It is cool how Aloy will change her posture whether she's running up and down cliff faces, whether or not she's close to a wall, etc. The platforming isn't quite as tight as Tomb Raider's but unlike TR it's almost impossible to fail your jumps anyway.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bell_ posted:

That's a level of :shepface: that surpasses :shepface:

If the previous games generated tons of smilies (and :shepface: is my favourite) this one is aiming to beat that mark, just the awful face animations are priceless for tons of gifs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It is cool how Aloy will change her posture whether she's running up and down cliff faces, whether or not she's close to a wall, etc. The platforming isn't quite as tight as Tomb Raider's but unlike TR it's almost impossible to fail your jumps anyway.

She likes to spread her arms out a little and feel the tops of the tall grass when she runs through it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I was kinda sad to find Cauldron Xi was in ruins when I saw the half-finished Tallnecks. They're my favourite, and there aren't any more to replace the ones already plodding about :ohdear:.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I'm having a hard time finding good mods in Horizon, any tips?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rad Valtar posted:

Do sidequests and Main Quests. Murder Big Robots.

Also get yourself a War Bow ASAP, because elemental weaknesses are crucial to not getting stomped on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Killing thunderjaws, Stormbirds and Behemoths are pretty much 1-2 guaranteed purple mods each. Otherwise they will just start getting more common as you play more. If you are early on Killing any of those is doable but probably sort of tough. Thunderjaws are probably the easiest since you can tear off their most dangerous components in like 2 seconds with tearblast arrows and from there it's mostly just a dodge/waiting game.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I was kinda sad to find Cauldron Xi was in ruins when I saw the half-finished Tallnecks. They're my favourite, and there aren't any more to replace the ones already plodding about :ohdear:.

I could be wrong but my take on that Cauldron was that some sort of large scale scuffle broke out above it and a bunch of tallnecks and Thunderjaws fell through into the cauldron and destroyed it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

Killing thunderjaws, Stormbirds and Behemoths are pretty much 1-2 guaranteed purple mods each. Otherwise they will just start getting more common as you play more. If you are early on Killing any of those is doable but probably sort of tough. Thunderjaws are probably the easiest since you can tear off their most dangerous components in like 2 seconds with tearblast arrows and from there it's mostly just a dodge/waiting game.

I could be wrong but my take on that Cauldron was that some sort of large scale scuffle broke out above it and a bunch of tallnecks and Thunderjaws fell through into the cauldron and destroyed it.

No, Aloy explicitly states it was just poor luck with a cave-in. Besides, there are Tallneck parts around the room, not just wreckage, and they aren't pack machines or even combat-capable models.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I think I'm gonna stop playing Horizon and go onto Nier.

I like the game, but I kind of really hate the health restoration and it feels like you don't get a lot of oomph for later weapons compared to the actual monsters you fight.

Unless I missed something, you don't restore health at campfires or in town, so you're stuck burning medicine or potions. And if I want to gear up for a big fight, it feels like I have to spend a half hour looking for the right red plants to fill up my medicine pouch because the plants don't spawn frequently enough and give like a 25% heal at best.I also really hate that if you buy potions you're forced to spend resources and not just money, so that's another juggling act on top of all of the ammo restoration

I don't really mind the weapons, since there's a lot of precision involved for bigger monsters, but it feels like for lower level mobs you don't have any good options for clearing them out. I got up to Meridian, and have most of the Shadow weapons now, and nothing is there other than extra ammo types, which can be useful, but it doesn't feel like any of the basic stuff really got upgraded at all. I also kind of hate how they had to give a different type of ammo pouch for every type of weapon, would it be too much if ammo caps for all 4 bow types were raised with 1 pouch upgrade instead of juggling 4?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

drat, the Toukiden 2 demo is extremely good! Samurai Sanders, you are hereby forgiven for Tales of Legendia.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My twitter feed has been full of ads for Toukiden 2 for a few days. It looks kind if cool, but I know nothing about Toukiden.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

exploded mummy posted:

I like the game, but I kind of really hate the health restoration and it feels like you don't get a lot of oomph for later weapons compared to the actual monsters you fight.

Unless I missed something, you don't restore health at campfires or in town, so you're stuck burning medicine or potions. And if I want to gear up for a big fight, it feels like I have to spend a half hour looking for the right red plants to fill up my medicine pouch because the plants don't spawn frequently enough and give like a 25% heal at best.I also really hate that if you buy potions you're forced to spend resources and not just money, so that's another juggling act on top of all of the ammo restoration

I don't really mind the weapons, since there's a lot of precision involved for bigger monsters, but it feels like for lower level mobs you don't have any good options for clearing them out. I got up to Meridian, and have most of the Shadow weapons now, and nothing is there other than extra ammo types, which can be useful, but it doesn't feel like any of the basic stuff really got upgraded at all. I also kind of hate how they had to give a different type of ammo pouch for every type of weapon, would it be too much if ammo caps for all 4 bow types were raised with 1 pouch upgrade instead of juggling 4?

There are damage mods that can give you weapons more oomph, but generally the way the game works, it gives you the tools to do more damage rather than giving you straight upgrades. Freezing things and attacking them, using elemental weaknesses, using tearblast arrows or ropes to remove armor and hitting sensitive parts, using heavy weapons the robots themselves drop, corrupting bots to fight each other, etc. With regards to health, the common complaint (and one I agree with) is that the game should let you fill your herb bag by paying vendors and should probably restore your health when you hits fires (which they basically do if you reload your latest save after hitting a fire). To make my herb bag last longer, I used lots of health potions since I collected lots of meat and was overflowing with the parts that vendors ask for as payment for potions. Note, there are three bow types and they all have different pouch types. However, one is your primary bow (damage/blaze), one is elemental/corruption, and one is long range. I personally barely used the elemental bow because I preferred the elemental sling. The long range bow is best with tear blasts or hitting from long range only and I did not prioritize it for upgrading pack since I'd rarely burn through enough arrows to make that much use of it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
I've coasted late game (and am at the first "no turning back point" - not sure if there are more) mostly on the Shadow Hunter and Sharpshooter bows. I just now got the Shadow ropecaster and War bows, so am messing around with them. I'm pretty unsure which sling would complement this stuff best as I've mostly gone without slings - thinking the blast sling since the War bow covers me for elemental damage?

Nocking three precision arrows can do a lot of damage if you've got some damage mods slotted in, and similarly, the hardpoint arrows on the Hunter bow can do a lot of damage just rapid firing (granted, you burn through a lot this way). I had a little bit of trouble with the Thunderjaws until I decided to pick up its disc launchers after knocking them off (also, it's a great feeling to use the tearblast arrows to slowly whittle down its available arsenal). Then the rockbreakers are a pain for me, not necessarily hard as much as they just take a long time. I'm sure I'm missing something here, and/or not using my full range of weapons to make it easier.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I used the blast sling a fair bit towards the end for clearing out groups of human enemies quickly. The elemental sling is really good for freezing or shocking robots, and was one of my go-tos against big stuff like Rock Breakers, Thunderjaws, and Behemoths.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Maybe I'll just pick up both before I head into end game stuff.

One thing I haven't done much are the Cauldrons. I've done a fair number of side quests, but just haven't come across these. I dismissed the map vendor as just collectibles, but is this on one of those that I should buy? Or am I just being oblivious and they're hard to miss?

I will say, I'm about 27 hours in at this point, and it feels like nothing. Compared to an open world game like Mafia 3, which I actually enjoyed quite a bit, but just felt like a huge drag after a certain point, it's a really refreshing thing. They could have easily stretched this thing out to 40-50 hours I'm sure, but not doing that has made for a still long game that feels incredibly tight.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
There is nothing that directs you to the cauldrons except that one side quest in Nora territory (in Mother's Crown I think?) that points you at the first one. Otherwise, you just have to stumble on them. The icon for them on the map is this sort of abstract mountain-looking thing.

And yeah, as someone who burned out hard on open world games, the game was a breath of fresh air. It never feels like it overstays its welcome, the combat is actually fun, and it doesn't vomit icons on your map Ubisoft-style.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The cauldrons should be visible on the map from climbing all the tallnecks but most are discoverable before that. There are only 4-5 in the game world and they have unique symbols instead of the usual markers.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I started Horizon: Zero Dawn today and add me to the list of folks saying it's loving good. I love the combat and the story really pulled me in. I didn't expect to care this much about the characters. Good on Guerilla Games for making a game with a very engaging plot. I really hope there is a sequel.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

exploded mummy posted:

Lower the difficulty?

You should be an unstoppable killing machine by late game though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Lower the difficulty?

You should be an unstoppable killing machine by late game though.

It really isn't so much the difficulty. I just hate some of the grindier aspects and I think it could have been streamlined a bit in a few spots to minimize frustration.

I'm going to get back to it eventually.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The character model reloading after every change makes it really annoying to compare stuff in the toukiden 2 demo :eng99:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

It really isn't so much the difficulty. I just hate some of the grindier aspects and I think it could have been streamlined a bit in a few spots to minimize frustration.

I'm going to get back to it eventually.

Which aspects of HZD are "grindy"?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Horizon the ammo pouches are more of a convenience thing than a real necessity, considering how fast you craft on the fly, making more arrows is the equivalent of reloading in a gun game. Also I wonder when people say that they feel underpowered if they are trying to get to full draw with every arrow instead of rapid-firing. Especially with handling mods Aloy can fire extremely quickly. Yes, an individual arrow might take off 1% of a big machine's health, but when you can fire three arrows a second that actually goes by rather quickly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

Which aspects of HZD are "grindy"?

How they handle health restoration in general. It tends to be limited, costs resources, and the only way around it is to exploit the checkpointing system...which is really bad design. It honestly could really be alleviated by having free heals in a town or campfire and not making you have to hunt at least a dozen plants just to max out your medicine pouch, or having a spot where a bunch of medicine plants grow together, so you don't have to find so many.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In Horizon the ammo pouches are more of a convenience thing than a real necessity, considering how fast you craft on the fly, making more arrows is the equivalent of reloading in a gun game. Also I wonder when people say that they feel underpowered if they are trying to get to full draw with every arrow instead of rapid-firing. Especially with handling mods Aloy can fire extremely quickly. Yes, an individual arrow might take off 1% of a big machine's health, but when you can fire three arrows a second that actually goes by rather quickly.

Somewhat. I pointed out bows because they're the first thing that came to mind. For arrows it isn't that big of a deal in a sense, but when it comes to the sling or the tripcaster, where you have much more restricted ammo capacity it's a pain. As much as yes it is easy to speedy craft items on the fly, I really find it irritating to try and coordinate that while I'm dodging the AOE attacks from a Rocksmasher or something else because I need to refill my bomb supply or something else because hey I only have a few bombs and I just wasted them all trying to immobilize a heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I played the entire game on hard with almost no healing items stocked up ever. I usually had about a quarter of a healing pouch. Some pots. I certainly never needed to grind for healing, though. Some people seem to be makingnsure they have 2 full bars of healing in between missions or something. It's not necissary at all.