Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

1st Ladyboy Division.

Oh, funny thing about this--there was a proposal a couple years back in Thailand to finally let people change their gender on their national ID cards, which hasn't been allowed so far. It was actually coming from the army, since Thailand has conscription for males, and the people who do the initial screening/intake get annoyed that they have to waste time processing ladyboys--since the government still thinks they're male, they still have to report and go "nope, ladyboy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
their hemp drink sounds legit

~Relax and the SLEEP~

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
But does it get you stoned

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

. I am very curious where this idea of any sort anything that happens to the body requires a pill/"medicine."

Cargo cult understanding of actual medicine.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Accretionist posted:

Holy god damned poo poo

The first China.jpg was posted on Oct. 11, 2014. It doesn't seem like it's been that long.

I fell into a rut at work and all of 2016 went down the memory hole. By the time I quit, I was time travelling from week to week.

China sounds like a stimulating environment. Does that help with poo poo like that?

I posted a few threads called "China stories" or something in FYAD in like 2008. Been raggin on Celestials every since

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg7a2M2V87g

:discourse:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
i'm the anime baijiu product placement at 3:50

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I always liked being told "teacher your England food is not good you always boil meat!" by kids who pretty much only eat boiled meat. Before coming to China I had never boiled meat before.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:stare:

What kind of water cooler is capable of boiling water?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

water coolers with 5000 years of history

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Boiled Water posted:

It's super useful for a couple reasons
a) Hot water is healthy?
b) Tea
c) Instant noodles

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
From what I've read in this thread, I expect the work ethic displayed in this office to be quite representative.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

a bit unrealistic to be honest, the girl at the very end turns down free hot pot, and is actually trying to do some work

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, funny thing about this--there was a proposal a couple years back in Thailand to finally let people change their gender on their national ID cards, which hasn't been allowed so far. It was actually coming from the army, since Thailand has conscription for males, and the people who do the initial screening/intake get annoyed that they have to waste time processing ladyboys--since the government still thinks they're male, they still have to report and go "nope, ladyboy."

There were also two other issues aside from the military just wasting its time. The first is that as part of the conscription process, each potential recruit is taken on stage and their physique evaluated, height, weight, body fat %, looking for abnormalities and deformities, etc. This is typically done in underwear only, so for ladyboys it means stripping down in front of a room full of dudes and being publicly embarrassed. The second issue is that the military can't just say, "Oh, ladyboy, you're off the hook for conscription," because "ladyboy" isn't in and of itself considered to be excuse to get out of it. Instead, they're given an exemption for a mental disorder, equivalent to severe depression or schizophrenia or the like, and that sticks with them for life.

It's super lovely for them.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

What's the deal with ladyboys anyway?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BONGHITZ posted:

Gender is a social construct and Thais have less issue treating it with fluidity than the west. Lots of cultures have historically had a special class of people that didn't fit into strictly defined male or female or straight or homosexual roles, the Thais just didn't bury the practice in the Victorian era.

I was actually just thinking the other day about the relative preponderance of ladyboys in Thailand and was wondering if it wasn't somehow connected to language. In Thai, the ending particle of a sentence defines if you are a man or a woman. So a woman says, "Hello," "Sawadee-ka" and a man says, "Sawadee-krub". To change if you were a man or a woman, all you'd have to do is switch "ka" and "krub". I don't pretend to have a deep enough understanding of Thai culture or language to know if this is how it works or not. Maybe if a guy switches ka and krub he just gets laughed at or maybe it goes totally unnoticed. It just seemed like an interesting possibility because I don't know of other languages that work that way with the male/female particle endings for a statement (though I'm sure they must exist).

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Don't forget tomboys who are just as prevalent but not as visible, typically tomboys work in manufacturing and such, ladyboys in customer service

Many cis-girls have their first sexual experience with a tomboy, it's like a "safe" alternative to dating a man, kinda like with boy bands in the west

I still feel the thai gender roles are too rigid even if there's more plurality, ladyboys must date men and tomboys women. If you're an effeminate gay man you're kind of culturally pushed into taking hormones even if you're happy in a male body.

Sucks for me too since I like manly girls

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yeah tomgirls were pretty attractive growing up.

"You mean we can do things we both enjoy instead of just staring at each other"?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BONGHITZ posted:

Is this the first line of your standup set?

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
It's been a while.

Mandatory Fivehead:

LOL

Legit English name

"So, Bing Bing, what did you do when you went to Korea during the holiday?"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Pirate Radar posted:

Is this the first line of your standup set?

lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

There were also two other issues aside from the military just wasting its time. The first is that as part of the conscription process, each potential recruit is taken on stage and their physique evaluated, height, weight, body fat %, looking for abnormalities and deformities, etc. This is typically done in underwear only, so for ladyboys it means stripping down in front of a room full of dudes and being publicly embarrassed. The second issue is that the military can't just say, "Oh, ladyboy, you're off the hook for conscription," because "ladyboy" isn't in and of itself considered to be excuse to get out of it. Instead, they're given an exemption for a mental disorder, equivalent to severe depression or schizophrenia or the like, and that sticks with them for life.

It's super lovely for them.

Yeah, society there is still a ways from really accepting them.

To add to this there are those textbooks that teach "If you feel like you might really be the other gender, that's okay. But remember! You must act like the other gender. Men fix things. Women cook and clean and take care of children."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, society there is still a ways from really accepting them.

To add to this there are those textbooks that teach "If you feel like you might really be the other gender, that's okay. But remember! You must act like the other gender. Men fix things. Women cook and clean and take care of children."

God I wish I had my phone so I could find the photo I took of a Thai health class book that said the following:

-There were gay "kings" and gay "queens" and that determined what gender role they played
-Homosexuality and being transgendered were sexual deviancy, but that's OK so long as you acknowledge what a wicked person you are
-Kathoys are a clean and industrious people famous for putting on shows

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Haier posted:

"So, Bing Bing, what did you do when you went to Korea during the holiday?"

Huh. On an entirely tangential note, there's an Ao Oni movie getting made.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
https://gfycat.com/UnacceptableAngryDolphin
This is in Ethiopia. Is it better or worse than Chinese intersections?

My opinion: Better
Would that be the culture, or what?

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's what my job description says too.

My Chinese friends that have been to Thailand and do the typical "tour bus ladyboy dinner shows" have all complained the same things:
1. "They are more beautiful than me and other women!!"
2. "They are so tall. If they were men, they would be so handsome to be so tall!"

Korea plastic surgery joke.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I was at the local corner store buying some yogurt with my kid yesterday and I plopped him on the counter while I was paying. The clerks were having a conversation about how cute "farang" babies are and then one of them corrected the others and said he wasn't a pure farang. They asked how she knew and she pulled her eyes into slants.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Haier posted:

https://gfycat.com/UnacceptableAngryDolphin
This is in Ethiopia. Is it better or worse than Chinese intersections?

My opinion: Better
Would that be the culture, or what?

The very large space available in the intersection and the relatively low traffic volume, nothing cultural. 20% more traffic and that intersection would be deadlocked all the time without the addition of signalling.

You can see a few times when two 'waves' of traffic arrive at the intersection at the same moment, and it jams while they creep by each other one at a time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

God I wish I had my phone so I could find the photo I took of a Thai health class book that said the following:

-There were gay "kings" and gay "queens" and that determined what gender role they played
-Homosexuality and being transgendered were sexual deviancy, but that's OK so long as you acknowledge what a wicked person you are

Yeah. And obviously you get something like the first point in the West too, with people asking gay couples "wait, but which one of you is the [man/woman]??" and other expectations that come from trying to fit things into a narrow context.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah. And obviously you get something like the first point in the West too, with people asking gay couples "wait, but which one of you is the [man/woman]??" and other expectations that come from trying to fit things into a narrow context.

Sure, but what got me was the specific language it used and the fact that it was in a government approved textbook.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
So I'm halfway through the book about the Great Leap Forward and I think it actually explains more about why China is the way it is more than the complete overt destruction that happened during the cultural Revolution

I think the best description of it is post-apocalyptic movies and films, perhaps taking Walking Dead as an example, except that instead of a complete breakdown of society because of zombies, you have it because of the Communist Party. The zombies are still running after you and trying to eat you, but it's because they are starving farmers.

The stories are absolutely horrendous. Grain production actually went down after the communists took over, but of course because they reported bumper harvest every year, more grain was actually taken from the already starving farmers. Farmers literally ate their houses because some of it was organic material. Food that you could get at the centralised canteen was redeemable with a ticket, which you had to stand in line for for hours. If you follow the rules and stayed in line, it would take you a whole day, and the time you got there there would be no food left. The only way that you could survive is if you pushed the small, like children, or the weak like the elderly out of the way and barge your way to the front.

Everything was fair game. Blind grandmothers were robbed of ration coupons in the street. One woman kept her coupons in a purse around her neck; at night a nephew snuck in, cut the string and took the coupons for himself. The woman died of starvation a few days later. Meanwhile, Party officials and cadres treated themselves to lavish banquets. Restaurants favoured by the Party had rice clogging their sewer system, such were the leftovers.

Due to idiot economic policies, the value of the yuan dropped. People spent money like crazy on ostentatious luxury items because your currency would lose half its value the next day and the State would freeze your bank account anyway. Material goods had a bonus because you could barter with it. Those gold earrings or that jade hairpin you found in the black market could be traded for a sack of grain next month so buy buy buy!

How about an office full of workers doing nothing? It started during this time. Factories and farms set up systems where one guy would watch for the boss/cadre so the workers would look productive when they walked by. Other workplaces didn't give a poo poo. Why? Because workers and farmers alike were literally starving. Doing work burned calories that were not going to be replaced. Sleeping on the job literally became essential to survival.

Does mainlanders throwing away stuff because it has a scratch instead of repairing it annoy you? Turns out you could only repair stuff at Authorised People's Service Centres. The centres were corrupt and inefficient but gently caress you, there's no way for you to fix it yourself because the party has literally confiscated everything. In one village people were mysteriously repairing their clothes because someone had hidden a sewing needle from marauding collection militias. A whole village, sharing one illegal needle.

I'm only halfway through the book but goddamn it explains so much.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Imperialist Dog posted:

A whole village, sharing one illegal needle.

That also happened in Henan but with an entirely different needle.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
There's so many axis of destruction and post apocalypse in the great leap, it's really hard to sum it up and NOT make it look like hyperbole.

Like, people literally eating their houses, but at the same time you have a housing crisis of epic proportions, because people were forced to tear down their places to make fertilizer out of them. It was said that places were farming animals were kept had lots of nitrate collected in the walls. So they tore down whole streets on the countryside. Cemetries were dug up and everything was dumped on the fields.

The collectivisation ravaged everything. Not only were people then forced to the canteens, but literally every tool that was repaired over and over before and might have lasted years or decades now broke after weeks because of neglect or willful destruction. They had statistics of the average lifetime of goods, and it's just ridiculous to see things like a plough last up to 60 years before, now break after a year.

In Shandong, a third of all tools in the province were destroyed within a year of the great leap. Other provinces had losses of 50% of all tools. Water pumps, planting machines, farming equipment, etc.

Shoes falling apart within weeks, and at the same time prices for everything skyrocket.

The part where rice clogs the sewers is especially tragic. It's not like this happened only in special canteens for party bigwigs, but after the first bogus harvests, Mao looks at the numbers and proclaims that people now need to eat as much as they can, since everything is so plentyful. People were literally forced to eat until they collapse, lest they might be accused. Canteens dumped so much rice down the drain, sewers were clogged everywhere. They had to send details with shovels to clean them out.

Ofc the numbers of the harvest were completely made up everywhere, and they were eating the seeds of the next harvest.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Jeoh posted:

:vince:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wife, son and i went to royal ocean world in fushun today and there were people throwing 1 mao coins at the crocodiles, getting them all riled up. lol.

i also got HALLLLLLO'd more than 10 times, but probably less than 25 times. i didn't count.

the exhibits were awesome. unfortunately, my son and i were probably the highlight for the majority of the people. during the piranha feeding i caught two different couples taking pictures of us, instead of the actual exhibit of piranhas feeding on actual meat on bones. lol

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
only tangentially related but lollll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1u2abNAFX4&t=18s

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I love the CG explosions added to the flying grill to make it look like Kid Rock actually hit the thing (and that buckshot would have any effect at all something with that mass traveling at that velocity).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jeoh posted:

lmao

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I rode a train today. I had a business class ticket. Business class on a Chinese high speed train (which looked like either a copy or a purchased shinkansen) turns out to be super nice and also presumably gives you access to this place, so I went in.

:v:

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Unpadded linked metal chairs, for the most important of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Universe Master posted:

Unpadded linked metal chairs, for the most important of people.

Those are everywhere, wherever you are in China there will be at least one set of those within 50m of you.

• Locked thread