Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

You would think that but Lost Galaxy says otherwise.....

Ok, the majority of it. For this year at least. Also, never seen a single episode of Lost Galaxy personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm just imagining the inside of his tube has a bunch of newspaper clippings about archaeological discoveries connected by thumbtacks and strings of yarn.

He was probably around for almost all of those in the first place

Also reminds me I had an idea for an Alternate History story where Power Rangers starts off with an adaptation of Maskman in 1987 instead of Zyuranger in 1993, and one of the recurring plot threads throughout the seasons between the two would be the mystery of where the various mentors and support organizations for the first couple of seasons were getting the Power Ranger tech or knowledge about the Morphing Grid from, with Zordon's existence being revealed towards the end of the Jetman adaptation(one of the ideas behind this would be exploring both the alternate in series stories as well as the alternate production histories)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Turtle time. :getin:

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Time for Ninja Turtles

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going to clip this entire episode.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

You know, I thought the ninja turtles thing was a joke, I didn't think you literally meant there was a crossover with TMNT. :allears:

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
I remember watching the show that this was a crossover with....

Talow posted:

You know, I thought the ninja turtles thing was a joke, I didn't think you literally meant there was a crossover with TMNT. :allears:
Not just any TMNT. The ones from a short lived Fox live action show. Hence the reason why Venus De Milo exists.
EDIT:
What the gently caress? Why the hell do the Ninja Turtles know Andromeda and not know that the Power Rangers exist?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So, I imagine we should finally hash this out: best Astronomema wig? Partial to the black one in this episode, the white one from the credits, or the neon blue from when she is briefly good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What the gently caress?

Yes, that is the general reaction to this episode.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Funky Valentine posted:

It's a Toei production so hahahahahaha gently caress no.
What are they spending it on because honestly In Space isn't that much worst than the current Sentai?
EDIT:
Not a knock on Kyuranger but jeez you can tell they are trying a lot of what is a fairly shoe string budget and even lampshaded it in the show.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

drrockso20 posted:

He was probably around for almost all of those in the first place

Also reminds me I had an idea for an Alternate History story where Power Rangers starts off with an adaptation of Maskman in 1987 instead of Zyuranger in 1993, and one of the recurring plot threads throughout the seasons between the two would be the mystery of where the various mentors and support organizations for the first couple of seasons were getting the Power Ranger tech or knowledge about the Morphing Grid from, with Zordon's existence being revealed towards the end of the Jetman adaptation(one of the ideas behind this would be exploring both the alternate in series stories as well as the alternate production histories)
...I would read that fanfiction.

You know a character is bad when "she's a turtle with boobs" is one of the least horrible things about her.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Its shellquake time?

Talow posted:

Ok, the majority of it. For this year at least. Also, never seen a single episode of Lost Galaxy personally.
Once you watch the first episode of Lost Galaxy you'll realize that its about .0000000000000000000000000000001% of the budget.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 18, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Next Mutation was really bad guys.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What's with all the dicks in the chat dropping spoilers? Didn't really have that problem in the seasons before. Odd.

It's funny how the season with the most going wrong turns out to be the best written season, too.

Funky Valentine posted:

The Next Mutation was really bad guys.
If I had to choose between watching Next Mutation and a superclip of all the Justin scenes in Turbo... I dunno, I'd probably kill myself.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 18, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

in space being more serialized means there's actually things to spoil

all the previous seasons really had was 'oh [x] is leaving soon' or 'oh new zords are coming soon'

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I still have to give props to whoever got that clip that managed to time Rita looking into the telescope just right with the explosion signalling the start of the episode.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

So from what little I've seen of Megaranger the Astromegaship set is completely new to In Space right?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The most remarkable thing about In Space is watching Melody Perkins's acting. In the opening episodes she opens her mouth and you can just feel the train wreck coming, but when the show picks up steam and develops she rises to the level of it. When it comes time for her emotion to be a driving part of the plot, she's dramatically improved.

Also this season occasionally goes in some odd places. The asteroid episode feels more like a made for TV disaster movie than PR at times.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Craptacular! posted:

Also this season occasionally goes in some odd places. The asteroid episode feels more like a made for TV disaster movie than PR at times.

There's a Lost Galaxy episode that's like that, too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Holy gently caress I do not remember any of this subplot with the crazy professor at all.

So from what little I've seen of Megaranger the Astromegaship set is completely new to In Space right?
I feel like they probably scrapped together bits from the power chamber set for some of it.

TJ should have been given dreds. Everyone be having long rear end hair here.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Lightspeed Resque pretty much had an episode that was the movie Armageddon except with a megazord instead of oil drillers, the footage was japanese iirc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Turns out that Andros's home planet was Japan.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

'on my planet the air makes camera quality slightly worse and the sun is just far away enough for the lighting to always be a little bit off'

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Excuse me..... You mean Space Japan.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a Lost Galaxy episode that's like that, too.

Yeah, it's pretty much a tribute to Aliens.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

They're still in high school?

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

They're still in high school?

Tommy and the Zeo (and presumably MMPR cast too, offscreen) graduated from high school back in Turbo, and now this new group has regressed back to being in high school. It's just like comic books!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
God drat I love Wasserman's work on this season so much.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Wait why the hell does the mad scientist have a nuke? I missed that part....

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
This one is a straight adaptation of a megaranger episode, down to the pink ranger being in love with the yellow ranger.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John McClane posted:

This one is a straight adaptation of a megaranger episode, down to the pink ranger being in love with the yellow ranger.

they even gave cassie the same hairstyle + overalls outfit as megapink

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

There is a nuclear reactor in a skyscraper. A nuclear reactor in a skyscraper. :psyduck: Why is the reactor also on the top floor?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 18, 2017

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

There is a nuclear reactor in a skyscraper. A nuclear reactor in a skyscraper. :psyduck: Why is the reactor also on the top floor?
They made a sign DANGER HIGH RADIOACTIVE NUCLEAR FUEL on the door so it's cool.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

One benefit to it not being one mech per ranger: You don't need all 5 to actually make the megazoid. kinda useful if poo poo like "Stuck on a date with someone do to blackmail" ever comes up.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Talow posted:

One benefit to it not being one mech per ranger: You don't need all 5 to actually make the megazoid. kinda useful if poo poo like "Stuck on a date with someone do to blackmail" ever comes up.
Or you could remote control it. Though what was the Megaranger rational as to why the zord was remote controlled because the Wiki doesn't say so.
EDIT:
Was that a Mice and Men reference? Goerge and Lenny.....

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Or you could remote control it. Though what was the Megaranger rational as to why the zord was remote controlled because the Wiki doesn't say so.

The AI was literally controlling the space ship. D.E.C.A. or something like that. it and Alpha was controlling the mech to the best of their abilities.

Which is to say... not very well outside of making the mech in the first place.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Talow posted:

The AI was literally controlling the space ship. D.E.C.A. or something like that. it and Alpha was controlling the mech to the best of their abilities.

Which is to say... not very well outside of making the mech in the first place.
Yeah but that was a direct adaptation of a Megaranger episode where its remotely controlled. I was wondering what the original Sentai plot was.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Yeah but that was a direct adaptation of a Megaranger episode where its remotely controlled. I was wondering what the original Sentai plot was.

if i remember right the mech in megaranger was a fully manned base so the rando support staff could kinda sorta autopilot it(but not as well as the five teenagers with attitude, natch)

e: oh huh this one's also a straight adaptation, the only real difference is that the swirly dudes are the putty-equivlants, not weird holograms brought to life

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 18, 2017

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

if i remember right the mech in megaranger was a fully manned base so the rando support staff could kinda sorta autopilot it(but not as well as the five teenagers with attitude, natch)
I thought in Megaranger they just threw random mooks into the mecha to pilot them and not have an AI do it. Weirdly enough the only episode I've seen of Megaranger is the Megavoyager episode. Also the mech fight in that episode was brutal...
EDIT:
Did they create an entire new mook?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the megavoyager two parter might be my top two episodes of sentai period

watch megaranger yall