Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

You must work at ZKC.

I do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Why is it that the ZKC controllers always seem a little grumpy anyways? Do you guys have some supervisor that's really strict about proper phraseology and you're afraid of getting yelled at for saying "Good morning?" Even when you guys aren't busy the controllers there always seem a little more uptight than other centers.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

fknlo posted:

You'll know when you talk to me. I always sound angry and can convey how little I care about choppy rides through tone very well.

You sound like every British pilot who in smooth air has to respond because London are asked by a US carrier for a ride report because they think moderate turbulence and we think smooth.

When its moderate turbulence I can't see poo poo never mind the sodding instruments so yeah I'll tell someone but sweet Jesus would US carriers grow a pair.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hjp766 posted:

You sound like every British pilot who in smooth air has to respond because London are asked by a US carrier for a ride report because they think moderate turbulence and we think smooth.

When its moderate turbulence I can't see poo poo never mind the sodding instruments so yeah I'll tell someone but sweet Jesus would US carriers grow a pair.

:glomp:

Content: A speed bump.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

Why is it that the ZKC controllers always seem a little grumpy anyways? Do you guys have some supervisor that's really strict about proper phraseology and you're afraid of getting yelled at for saying "Good morning?" Even when you guys aren't busy the controllers there always seem a little more uptight than other centers.

I honestly don't know. Even I usually throw in a "good whatever" or "see ya".

hjp766 posted:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
ZKC huh? I'll probably be talking to you later this week as we do more Eastern flying for a western based regional (:psyduck: )

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Man, that MMPI-2 sure is... a thing. I understand that it was developed to identify mental issues within an individual, but man. At least I can rest easy knowing that I'm not obsessed with fire, there are no voices in my head, and I would rather pet animals than hurt them.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I answered most of those types of questions in the affirmative and still passed.

It takes a specific type of crazy.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

It takes a specific type of crazy.

Thread title, right there.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

Thread title, right there.

How do you mean mean they only let you be part crazy?

I thought everyone/thing connected to this industry had to be certifiable...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Hey guys.

Donald Trump's budget proposal wants to privatize all of you. :getin:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hey guys.

Donald Trump's budget proposal wants to privatize all of you. :getin:

Considering the massive cuts in his budget for everything but the dod that would probably work out best for us and the airspace system as a whole if anything even remotely close to it were to pass.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Not that the US wouldn't find a way to gently caress up privatization, but I'll just leave my regular reminder that NavCanada is private and it works just fine (and from what I hear they're a decent employer too).

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

PT6A posted:

Not that the US wouldn't find a way to gently caress up privatization, but I'll just leave my regular reminder that NavCanada is private and it works just fine (and from what I hear they're a decent employer too).

I'll be damned if I have to pay for ATC services.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

i am kiss u now posted:

You already are through the theft that is taxation!

:911:

His budget isn't going to happen. I seriously doubt any budget actually passes and it's just more continuing resolutions for the rest of time. So 6 months to a year before we all die in a nuclear fire.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

i am kiss u now posted:

We don't have to in Canada. Just pointing out that there is a successful (and ultimately GA-friendly) model for private ATS.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

PT6A posted:

We don't have to in Canada. Just pointing out that there is a successful (and ultimately GA-friendly) model for private ATS.

So what's the NavCanada fee that airlines slap on my ticket for then?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

NavCanada is honestly a pretty good model for privitized ATC.

You're a loving idiot if you think the US congress wouldn't just take whatever bill Lockheed Martin's lawyers write and pass that. I have zero faith in Congress' ability to do this properly.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

PT6A posted:

:colbert:

edit: although to be fair $67 per year is small enough to be lost in the noise of aircraft ownership costs.

fordan fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fordan posted:

:colbert:

edit: although to be fair $67 per year is small enough to be lost in the noise of aircraft ownership costs.

Yeah I would be fine with this but ours will be for profit and the airlines will rig it up so the fees are prohibitive for GA and painful for on-demand charters.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

Yeah I would be fine with this but ours will be for profit and the airlines will rig it up so the fees are prohibitive for GA and painful for on-demand charters.

For profit privatization would be DOA without question. Quote me when it happens in the next 3 years, but it isn't going to happen. Nobody outside of the company that would get the contract would be on board.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Well I feel dumb- in all my excitement, I put the wrong date in the email to medical for when I received my CIL.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fknlo posted:

For profit privatization would be DOA without question. Quote me when it happens in the next 3 years, but it isn't going to happen. Nobody outside of the company that would get the contract would be on board.

This seems optimistic given everything else going on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jealous Cow posted:

This seems optimistic given everything else going on.

Privatizing a federal workforce is really hard. Could it happen? Of course. Will it? Probably not.

Will everyone run around like a chicken getting hosed by a bear dressed in a unicorn costume for the next four years? Absolutely.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

MrYenko posted:

Privatizing a federal workforce is really hard. Could it happen? Of course. Will it? Probably not.

Will everyone run around like a chicken getting hosed by a bear dressed in a unicorn costume for the next four years? Absolutely.
Didn't they privatize flight service a while back?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm not saying privatization won't happen, I'm saying for profit privatization won't happen. There would be a ton of hurdles involved with that route and I sure as poo poo don't think the airlines or GA community would be at all behind it, let alone issues it would face getting through congress.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

JohnClark posted:

Didn't they privatize flight service a while back?

And since then flight service has been slowly handing back their duties as they move toward being eliminated.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:smugdon: TFR over PBI plus Sun-n-Fun southbound exodus plus no-airfile rule for most Palm Beach area airports equals :suicide:

If, you know, anyone was wondering.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrYenko posted:

:smugdon: TFR over PBI plus Sun-n-Fun southbound exodus plus no-airfile rule for most Palm Beach area airports equals :suicide:

If, you know, anyone was wondering.

Trump's frequent vacations must be a serious pain in the arse. I know I was amazed by the amount of air traffic (and airports) in South Florida to begin with, I can't imagine what a fuckup it must be to throw a wrench into the works.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PT6A posted:

Trump's frequent vacations must be a serious pain in the arse. I know I was amazed by the amount of air traffic (and airports) in South Florida to begin with, I can't imagine what a fuckup it must be to throw a wrench into the works.

Not just a traffic nightmare, he's going to bankrupt West Palm Beach.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Jealous Cow posted:

LOfuckingL

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

I almost wish he'd fly out west more often so I could bitch about it like all the conservative controllers bitched about Obama "flying through on their dime to go on vacation" every time AF1 came through.

Got my Firm Offer Letter and date for ZDV. January 7th is my last day in KC! I planned some leave well and will be able to head out about a month before to find an apartment and have the 3 days before that off work so I can get out there a bit early. The only issue is that I'll be on a training department schedule for however long that's going to take which means weekends off for a good chunk of ski season :negative: .

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Jealous Cow posted:

lol good luck with that

also lol at conservative controllers. That's akin to being an anarchist or accelerationist.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Tommy 2.0 posted:

lol good luck with that

also lol at conservative controllers. That's akin to being an anarchist or accelerationist.

I came across a few while interning at ZSE. I wasn't totally surprised, since I'd worked with retired military and civil service employees in the DOD for six years. So many conservatives.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Being exposed to the dumb poo poo government does on a regular basis could conceivably cause someone to become pro-small-government while still being a part of the government. It's not a particularly wise move, but I can see how it happens.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tommy 2.0 posted:

lol good luck with that

There are so many of them. At least at ZKC. And they all bitched about Obummer wasting are tax dollars going on vacation every time he came through but don't believe the same applies to Trump flying to Florida every week to golf. Yay for politics as a team sport!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What is wrong with people that they think the workplace is an acceptable place to air their political grievances? I don't do that poo poo even when I'm pretty sure the people I'm talking to would agree with me, because it just can't end well.

How diverse is the ATC workforce? I'd say, based on voices I hear on the radio (in Canada), it slants heavily, but certainly not exclusively male (definitely more than pilots, though) and I don't hear many controllers with identifiable accents but other than that I have no idea.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

What is wrong with people that they think the workplace is an acceptable place to air their political grievances? I don't do that poo poo even when I'm pretty sure the people I'm talking to would agree with me, because it just can't end well.

How diverse is the ATC workforce? I'd say, based on voices I hear on the radio (in Canada), it slants heavily, but certainly not exclusively male (definitely more than pilots, though) and I don't hear many controllers with identifiable accents but other than that I have no idea.

Tribalism.

I obviously don't have exact numbers but at my place of employment I'd say 85-90% white with 70-80% male easily. Trainee diversity has definitely improved lately though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PT6A posted:

Controllers aren't known for their good workplace behavior. Lots of inappropriate conversations.

And, yeah, mostly white men. But it's getting a lot more diverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Controllers aren't known for their good workplace behavior. Lots of inappropriate conversations.

And, yeah, mostly white men. But it's getting a lot more diverse.

Small steps, I guess. Most of the airline pilots I see are still white guys, but the instructors at my school are at least half female, and probably over half non-white, so hopefully that will filter down into the rest of the industry (it's gotten noticeably better in both respects since I first started my PPL in '05). And having flown with almost all of instructors at this point, I can say from experience that you're a loving idiot if you think people that aren't white/male are any less competent.

Regarding inappropriateness: I heard someone say "oh poo poo!" on 126.7 today while giving a position report, and it made me giggle because I know I've at least thought it if I've not said it.
Related question: is there a US equivalent to what 126.7 is in Canada (air-to-air frequency for traffic advisory in uncontrolled airspace)?