Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Groetgaffel posted:

Or, bear with me here, some people don't give a poo poo about how bad the game looks and how bad the story is, and only care about how fun and good it feels to play.
I really enjoyed being a biotic pinball again, like the profile system, and the shooty bits in general and would put it at like a 70-75 %.
Trying to set an objective score on a game is really loving silly.

Case in point. Imagine honestly claiming that you don't think graphics and story and characters matter in a game where those things are supposed to matter. No, the only thing that matters is shooting mans, which is why the game bragged about a script bigger than ME3 and puts a ton of emphasis on the characters and banter and dialogue and so on...

Positives: "being a biotic pinball", shooting guys, it's "fun"
Everything else: lol who cares it's not like you can give anything a score XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Fun is subjective... like, even Fallout 4 was "fun" if I ignored the awful story, factions and companions, and just ran around exploring the wasteland blasting mutants and robots with my trusty dog and an explosive shotgun. Comparisons to Dragon age inquisition are also throwing me off because I think people mean them as a criticism, but I genuinely liked DA:I and would be fine if this was like that, but in space.

Some might even see bad animations and voice acting as a plus since it gives them something to laugh at while waiting for the next aliens to kill.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Groetgaffel posted:

I really enjoyed being a biotic pinball again, like the profile system, and the shooty bits in general and would put it at like a 70-75 %.

Honestly though, how long do you think the novelty of that would sustain you to keep playing this game? It's good enough but it's not ground breaking combat that requires any tactical thinking or much skill. Without a fun story and characters to keep you invested are you going to feel the same way about the 30th nearly identical encounter?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

im preordeing right now

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I'm playing a press copy, and I swear to god all the Angaran females have the exact same face. Like, EXACT.
Also oh my god the galaxy map zoom in - zoom out bullshit gets super loving annoying. I really hope someone somewhere mods it out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Honestly though, how long do you think the novelty of that would sustain you to keep playing this game? It's good enough but it's not ground breaking combat that requires any tactical thinking or much skill. Without a fun story and characters to keep you invested are you going to feel the same way about the 30th nearly identical encounter?

Well that depends... how long does it take until you can see the sex scenes?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

exquisite tea posted:

Well that depends... how long does it take until you can see the sex scenes?

You can start loving your pre-order pet pyjack as soon as you finish the first planet.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Also oh my god the galaxy map zoom in - zoom out bullshit gets super loving annoying. I really hope someone somewhere mods it out.

Yeah, those unskippable travel scenes whenever you move around a system suck. Those can't be loading screens, right? The game is just switching from one planet model to another. Surely there's a way to cut that poo poo out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

me to bioware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhy7dXWjpAA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can start loving your pre-order pet pyjack as soon as you finish the first planet.

After 600 years we arrived at a whole new galaxy ready to gently caress... but we soon discovered the only ones getting hosed, were us.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, those unskippable travel scenes whenever you move around a system suck. Those can't be loading screens, right? The game is just switching from one planet model to another. Surely there's a way to cut that poo poo out.

Some of the things you zoom in on look super jittery and wobbly too. It's just so eeeeeeeh

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I kinda wonder if they will. Normally I'd say there's no way, but they went nuts tripping over themselves to try and repair the ending to ME 3.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a deliberate design choice and I've seen some of the devs gush about it. It's not a loading screen unless it takes 10 seconds to load a low-res asteroid with 60 iron on it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Groetgaffel posted:

I'd love to see Obsidian getting a shot at the IP.
Just like they made a better KotOR and a better Fallout 3, they'd probably manage to make a better Mass Effect as well.

Why aren't there anyone besides Bioware making Space RPGs? :(
The only alternatives to Mass Effect I can think of are Bad MMOs, like SWTOR that is still Bioware, or, uh, STO I guess.

Honestly I don't think Obsidian has the staff or engine experience to do a Mass Effect game.

They make my favorite games by a substantial margin but I still don't think it'd be a good idea.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Bioware: Our script is bigger than ME3! Our animations are top-notch!

2017-era Bioware Fan: WHO THE gently caress CARES

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

After 600 years we arrived at a whole new galaxy ready to gently caress... but we soon discovered the only ones getting hosed, were us.

Depending on personal preferences, this could easily be a positive.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I'm playing a press copy

Post nudes pls

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

After 600 years we arrived at a whole new galaxy ready to gently caress... but we soon discovered the only ones getting hosed, were us. Sorry, drat poetry.

Fixed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's a deliberate design choice and I've seen some of the devs gush about it. It's not a loading screen unless it takes 10 seconds to load a low-res asteroid with 60 iron on it.

It's interesting how badly a simple choice like this can hurt playability. Like, in ME 2/3 it took about the same amount of time to fly your little toy Normandy between planets but because you were in control didn't feel as bad. Getting stuck just watching a canned FTL scene blows.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Milky Moor posted:

Case in point. Imagine honestly claiming that you don't think graphics and story and characters matter in a game where those things are supposed to matter. No, the only thing that matters is shooting mans, which is why the game bragged about a script bigger than ME3 and puts a ton of emphasis on the characters and banter and dialogue and so on...

Of course you can put a score on it, but it's always going to be a subjective one.
And no, graphics don't matter all that much to me. I still hold that the original Deus Ex is the best game ever made, and that looked like poo poo when it came out 17 years ago.
As for the story and party banter and what not, I care about it, I just don't particularly mind bad ones. If I did I wouldn't be playing videogames at all.

I mean, I put 114 hours into one playthrough of Inquisition collecting 2000 flowers.
But you are right about the "fun story and characters" bit. To me though, even a bad or uninspired story can be fun. I mean, I read 40k novels, I clearly have no taste what so ever. :shrug:

It looks like Ryder is photoshopped in, he looks so much worse than the pilot.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Milky Moor posted:

I don't think the story and characters win any awards, but I'm still curious about the story, and I'm also interested in learning more about the characters. It's a matter of taste. The game feels fun to play for me, both because of the combat and because I'm engaged in the plot.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

The other thing I'm thinking about with ME:A is replay value. One of the things I liked with the previous ME games was going through as different classes. Profiles make this essentially pointless so the only other reason to replay the game is which of the wooden-dialogued characters you want to bang. And perhaps there will be some kind of moral choice I actually give a gently caress about.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Skippy McPants posted:

They either over scoped or understaffed and had to lean too much on procedural tech.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the scope of the game exceeded their grasp at this point, at least where their art pipeline is concerned. I mean, good on them for dreaming big I guess? But it goes to show what an effective EP Hudson was. That said, if Dragon Age can recover from 2 this isn't going to be enough to stop Mass Effect for another game or so minimum if they just don't improve at all on Frostbite.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Seems like the streaming embargo has been moved from monday to today, for some reason. Maybe they are finally waking up to the fact that the first few hours of the game isn't presenting it in the best light

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Played up to getting to the Nexus, really fun so far. Some weird clipping issues that you'd think they fix and I don't know how you miss the Nexus tram having a map of the Hyperion instead.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

That said, if Dragon Age can recover from 2 this isn't going to be enough to stop Mass Effect for another game or so minimum if they just don't improve at all on Frostbite.

Oh gently caress yes. This game could walk into your house, take poo poo on your floor, steal your TV, and kill spouse/anime body pillow on its way out the door and we'll still see ME:A 2 in a few years.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So after having played for 10 hours I can say, I enjoy the game. The facial animations and hilarious glitches aside, I really enjoy the setting and gameplay and am really interested in where the story goes from the vault the trial stops you at. Some of the characters are pretty boring but you've literally just begun learning about them when the game ends. Peebee is the only out and out "Oh god I can tell she is going to be annoying."

The new skill system and how it works is a lot of fun, and I enjoyed the multiplayer with the new movement options too. Not to overhype the game though. It has significant problems. The facial animations and no quicksave are hilariously awful. Hopefully these are something they can fix in a patching process. The only out and out design decision I feel is atrocious is the planet scanning they worked very hard to make worse than ME2's.

I'm looking forward to playing Mass Effect: Andromeda again on tuesday. I realize this is a controversial opinion, but I'm sticking to it. :smuggo:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

The instructions on what you could/couldn't stream were super confusingly worded, they sent out a revised version and moved the embargo forward yesterday.
It's still gonna be a pain in the rear end to stream though because there's a huge section you're not allowed to show so you have to play through it and make a save after to skip to.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
By the way, I still hate all of you who can play the game two days before us plebs in Europe :argh:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Torrannor posted:

By the way, I still hate all of you who can play the game two days before us plebs in Europe :argh:

Don't worry it's actually only a day earlier because of time zones! :science:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

If you use a South Korean vpn you can unlock the game at 3pm gmt on Monday

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Torrannor posted:

I likely won't be able to play until Friday evening anyway, because of work. :smith:

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Count Uvula posted:

You took our beautiful crazy boy away :sigh:

Bring back Snakes n Cakes circa DA2's release thread, that gimmick was funnier

Skippy McPants posted:

Desert maps and tileset should be banned from all games or at least relegated to minor set pieces. Making one the showcase for your new space game was a real bad ideaer. They should have led with the jungle or ocean worlds.

This, but also could sci-fi video games lay off the single-biome worlds? At least a little bit? If you're going to play up how huge and expansive and open world your game is, at a minimum you should show off some worlds with variation. They don't even have to be Earth-like, but the "desert world" could have more oasis-like areas at the poles or at the equator for the "ice world". Or even better, show off a tidally-locked planet like the TRAPPIST exoplanets, where the sun-facing side is daytime desert all the time, the other is dark and iced over, and there's a thin band of habitability in the middle. Or worlds where all the water is subsurface, so there's underground rivers and oceans and cavern systems of flora and fauna and underground alien cities. I'm sure there's many other cool ideas in sci-fi for exotic planets capable of supporting life. Why not explore some of that poo poo? I realize the focus of the plot is colonizing, but also meeting new aliens! Maybe one of them evolved on a super weird planet! Or gathering resources -- maybe you have to setup an outpost on weird worlds to get a nice stream of eezo or whatever the gently caress in order to really get the Nexus running at full speed! And you don't even have to worry about the scientific plausibility of this too much. Your series already has space magic because Element Zero! At that point, it's fine if you stretch or ignore the science to show off some actually alien and varied worlds rather than giving us another "jungle planet"!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly I don't think Obsidian has the staff or engine experience to do a Mass Effect game.

They make my favorite games by a substantial margin but I still don't think it'd be a good idea.

Maybe not, and I wouldn't really want them to go back to just doing sequels with other people's IP. (Unless it's another Fallout.)

But I am sad that they seem to be riding the throwback Infinity Engine thing hard now. I liked Pillars fine, and need to give Tyranny a try, but I just don't have the attachment to that era/style of RPG. I was a console kid, and I think KotOR was the first RPG I played. Gimme more 3D RPGs, Obsidian! :argh:

escalator dropdown fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 18, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Doom is one of my favorite games ever, and that was wall to wall nearly identical encounters.

For real, after mass effect 3, you should not go into a mass effect game expecting a Good RPG. You should go into it expecting a Good Third Person Shooter. And from what I can tell, it is.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G5p35RopZw
Oh god what the gently caress

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Mymla posted:

Doom is one of my favorite games ever, and that was wall to wall nearly identical encounters.

For real, after mass effect 3, you should not go into a mass effect game expecting a Good RPG. You should go into it expecting a Good Third Person Shooter. And from what I can tell, it is.

I enjoyed ME3 way more when I went back and replayed and ignored the story. Combat in that game was real good. Andromeda seems OK so far.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mymla posted:

That was good right up to the ending though. Thuchanka in particular was easily one of the series highlights.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

You took our beautiful crazy boy away :sigh:

free Utaynan

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know some people enjoy the mad Utaynan posting but I do not like that kind of level of personal attack in the forums. Sadly he will not be joining us for the launch of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

VideoGames posted:

I know some people enjoy the mad Utaynan posting but I do not like that kind of level of personal attack in the forums. Sadly he will not be joining us for the launch of this game.

obligatory how much did EA pay you (that's probably what he's yelling at his screen right now)