Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ApathyGifted posted:

He's in Canada, and it's not available on Prime in Canada

Baronjutter: according to Google, you should try looking for it on Crave TV, whatever the hell that is.

lol that's the absolute garbage canadian attempt at netflix and is renown for being poo poo and teetering on the edge of shutting down because no one wants that poo poo.
Guess I'm collecting some toonies and putting them in an envelope after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I want to laugh at the people who incorrectly call out physics mistakes, but it actually just makes me sad that people watched that scene and thought "she should have exploded" or "she was moving wrong" instead of just being horrified by what was actually happening. It was a really hosed up, really good scene.

The show doesn't always get it right, but people seem quick to call it out for not looking the way they think it should, when the show often takes pains to make things accurate, even at the cost of looking the way people expect. (Most of the time. See the size of Jupiter as a counterexample that I'm personally very willing to forgive.)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Eiba posted:

I want to laugh at the people who incorrectly call out physics mistakes, but it actually just makes me sad that people watched that scene and thought "she should have exploded" or "she was moving wrong" instead of just being horrified by what was actually happening. It was a really hosed up, really good scene.

The show doesn't always get it right, but people seem quick to call it out for not looking the way they think it should, when the show often takes pains to make things accurate, even at the cost of looking the way people expect. (Most of the time. See the size of Jupiter as a counterexample that I'm personally very willing to forgive.)

It's best to watch this show with a not-nerd. I do, and she was totally horrified by the spacing scene. Also, she stated early in the hostage/nuke thing that if Fred Johnson died she was done with the show, which was hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Baronjutter posted:

lol that's the absolute garbage canadian attempt at netflix and is renown for being poo poo and teetering on the edge of shutting down because no one wants that poo poo.
Guess I'm collecting some toonies and putting them in an envelope after all.

There was Shomi, which was free with my internet and was actually quite good. They had a lot of older movies netflix didn't have. Crave on the otherhand is rear end.

Anyways, I finally caught up with the show and god drat, everyone is an rear end in a top hat, but the Martians seem to come off as the least assholish of the 3 factions. Earth wants to make sure everyone knows they have the biggest dick, while the OPA seems more interested in just causing chaos without any thought of the outcomes of the actions, thinking that they'll be left in charge.

I like how this show is what Firefly was trying to be, but without all the cutesy literal western in space stuff and overly clever characters. Actually that's what got me to watch, seeing some browncoat asshat freaking out over an article saying that Firefly fans should watch The Expanse.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Eiba posted:

Jupiter being huge is gorgeous and cinematic and I don't care if it's not realistic

They do sound effects in space battles too

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I wonder if the Jupiter size bitching people bitch as loudly anytime a drama shows the moon in the sky being larger than a dime.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Why wouldn't they ask Curtis-from-Continuum why he tried to run and what he was talking about when he said he wouldn't tell anyone, especially when his info about Strickland turned out to be mundane.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If anyone would have gone to bat for the guy and march up to Fred and yell about mass murder it was holden. Rip any prospects of justice now

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Yeah he clearly thought they were enforcers from the ship going after him for talking to the doc about what he saw, but it's weird they didn't stop to ask him why he was so freaked out before they got called by Alex. Maybe they saw enough panic reactions from all the refugees that they didn't think much of it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Just caught up with the latest episode. Good stuff. Waiting for the Nauvoo to come back into play. I'm honestly surprised they haven't mentioned it since Eros but I guess everyone's been busy with nukes, aliens, and conspiracies.

I need to start watching the episodes when they premiere or buying episodes. The viewership's been declining below 500K per episode. It's a drop of water in the ocean and losing viewership happens to all shows but I really wouldn't want this gem to get cancelled.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Drummer cooly reaching for someone's sidearm and icing those two Belters as she's being helped off the bridge, after being shot in the gut and oxdygen-deprived :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really want a scene where they run across that belter ship that spaced all the civilians and alex just lights it up. Want some sort of justice/closure on that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baronjutter posted:

I really want a scene where they run across that belter ship that spaced all the civilians and alex just lights it up. Want some sort of justice/closure on that.

There could be innocents aboard. Holden wouldn’t allow it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I like how every time there's big physics/space scenes, there's always a decent modicum of complaints about lack of realism. :D

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hughlander posted:

I wonder if the Jupiter size bitching people bitch as loudly anytime a drama shows the moon in the sky being larger than a dime.

All I'm saying is E.T is an unrealistic movie, OK!? :mad:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Combat Pretzel posted:

I like how every time there's big physics/space scenes, there's always a decent modicum of complaints about lack of realism. :D

Even the least realistic scenes in the Expanse makes the :techno: of Star Trek look lazy in comparison

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I really want all the Diogo content to lead to him being the leader of a Belter revolution or something. He's had way more of a presence on the show than in the books and I think they should run with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eiba posted:

What makes you think that they weren't horrified as well?

Personally I thought the scene was kind of cheesy, like they introduced a character for the sole purpose of making Prax's backstory even sadder.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vermin posted:

Just caught up with the latest episode. Good stuff. Waiting for the Nauvoo to come back into play. I'm honestly surprised they haven't mentioned it since Eros but I guess everyone's been busy with nukes, aliens, and conspiracies.

I need to start watching the episodes when they premiere or buying episodes. The viewership's been declining below 500K per episode. It's a drop of water in the ocean and losing viewership happens to all shows but I really wouldn't want this gem to get cancelled.

Well it already got renewed for Season 3

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Personally I thought the scene was kind of cheesy, like they introduced a character for the sole purpose of making Prax's backstory even sadder.

This was my biggest complaint. Everything about the physics involved seemed pretty spot on, except the atmosphere not significantly and briefly fogging up during the decompression, that is unforgivable.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe they've developed some sort of anti-fog glazing for use in airlocks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AirborneNinja posted:

This was my biggest complaint. Everything about the physics involved seemed pretty spot on, except the atmosphere not significantly and briefly fogging up during the decompression, that is unforgivable.

It would have looked cool, which is the only reason I care that it didn’t happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR102rcg2Ak&t=41s

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Phanatic posted:

It's even in the gif posted earlier:

https://fat.gfycat.com/ObedientJampackedFlickertailsquirrel.mp4

Other good bits were Amos walking around the outside rim of Tycho, with his arms being flung up. This show doesn't always get it right but at least it makes the attempt.

Is there a gif of when the lock is first opened?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gohmak posted:

Is there a gif of when the lock is first opened?

https://fat.gfycat.com/WatchfulEnchantingGrizzlybear.mp4

The outside shot you quoted follows immediately after this one.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Platystemon posted:

https://fat.gfycat.com/WatchfulEnchantingGrizzlybear.mp4

The outside shot you quoted follows immediately after this one.

Yeah they should have had the window fog briefly. Immersion ruined

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Eiba posted:

Nerd here, and even though I could feel something bad coming it didn't even occur to me they would get spaced until the doors cracked and I saw the black of space on the other side.

It was shocking and legit one of the saddest things I've seen on a tv show In a while.

Also the whole episode was dope and Drummer merkin those two dudes while she walked herself to the med bay owned.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Rather than any physics nitpicking, I'm wondering how that random-rear end Belter crewman managed to recognize Prax was born on Ganymede and not Earth or Mars. Maybe he's described differently in the books, but Prax looked like just another well-groomed Inner to me. Was the Belter guy supposed to have overheard his conversation with the woman in the cargo hold?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

A good poster posted:

Rather than any physics nitpicking, I'm wondering how that random-rear end Belter crewman managed to recognize Prax was born on Ganymede and not Earth or Mars. Maybe he's described differently in the books, but Prax looked like just another well-groomed Inner to me. Was the Belter guy supposed to have overheard his conversation with the woman in the cargo hold?

I get the impression that the physical difference between belters and inners is much more pronounced than they appear to us, it's just hard to get a bunch of 7 foot spindly skeleton actors to play the belters. Just imagine all the belters look more like that guy from the pilot who was on hooks.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

A good poster posted:

Real-world cultures often draw pseudo-racial boundaries between people based on little things like that. In Ireland you can probably easily tell if someone's Protestant or Catholic based on accent alone and that has implications for how you are treated. In Syria and Iraq you have Sunni death squads going around executing Shia muslims and I personally can't tell those groups apart at a glance, there's a lot of cultural and historical stuff that goes into it. I think Belter/Inner racism is perfectly realistic as portrayed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also, computer systems were aware of his whereabout on Tycho. So there were probably passports, ID chips or whatever fancy schmancy stuff involved. The hauler probably knew one of these ways.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He said something about 'duster burn' or something before stopping him?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I figure it like how the Martians knew Alex was former fleet and let him clean up. When brought aboard everyone was scanned and it told then Prax was a belter.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

There was Shomi, which was free with my internet and was actually quite good. They had a lot of older movies netflix didn't have. Crave on the otherhand is rear end.

Anyways, I finally caught up with the show and god drat, everyone is an rear end in a top hat, but the Martians seem to come off as the least assholish of the 3 factions. Earth wants to make sure everyone knows they have the biggest dick, while the OPA seems more interested in just causing chaos without any thought of the outcomes of the actions, thinking that they'll be left in charge.

I like how this show is what Firefly was trying to be, but without all the cutesy literal western in space stuff and overly clever characters. Actually that's what got me to watch, seeing some browncoat asshat freaking out over an article saying that Firefly fans should watch The Expanse.

In this grim dark future only space Mormons and martian space communists are the good guys.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

If you took away their blind hate and blame of inners and granted them full independence they'd be killing each other off in a matter of years.

Same, but for trump voters

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I get the impression that the physical difference between belters and inners is much more pronounced than they appear to us, it's just hard to get a bunch of 7 foot spindly skeleton actors to play the belters. Just imagine all the belters look more like that guy from the pilot who was on hooks.

This is the correct answer for the books (and subsequent translation to the screen). Not sure if they're just assuming belters recognize their own on the show or what, though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Obviously it was Prax's haircut.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

squidgee posted:

This is the correct answer for the books (and subsequent translation to the screen). Not sure if they're just assuming belters recognize their own on the show or what, though.

Tattoos, side head shave, speak belter and some are tall and spindly for the show. The book belters don't have the tats and side shave but they are all tall, spindly and have big heads. Julie if I remember correctly was born and raised on Luna so she had belter physique.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I remember a scene in the books (spoiler related to the Rocinante leaving Fred Johnsons employ) in which the crew actually discuss the idea of going independent and not having the OPA safety net for repairs and missiles and poo poo. They make the decision as a group. I'm reading in the thread that Johnson fired them in the book and that sounds right to me too

Did my brain completely make that up or did it not happen quite like I remember? Maybe that came later and was related to something else?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Polaron posted:

Obviously it was Prax's haircut.

The dress like Portland litmus test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

etalian posted:

In this grim dark future only space Mormons and martian space communists are the good guys.

Maybe you are joking but do we know anything about Mars society? They oppress the Belt just like Earth - and it seems like their ultimate goal is to create a smaller replica of Earth. There's already 9 billion people there so they are on the path to the same level of overpopulation and if they get their oceans and stuff they'll have the same environment too.

• Locked thread