Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lonjon posted:

They just started up a St Patrick's themed loot bag event. The big prize this time is a Banshee champion robot.
https://mwomercs.com/tournaments

Easiest event ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Great Beer posted:

Easiest event ever

gently caress yo couch.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I got it on the 15th draw. Banshee 3M is so good.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The odds of getting it on any given draw are apparently 1/100; fortunate for you guys. I usually wind up having to play the whole event to get the mech.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Well, RIP me with my luck I guess.

Edit: Never gonna get the Banshee. :(

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 17, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

All you gotta do is buy ALL the mech packs for 175 draws, duh.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Great Beer posted:

Easiest event ever

I just won the Banshee too with only two lootbags earned so far. My number of mechs owned has gone up 50%!

So I WAS saving up for an atlas to fufill my dream of running directly into enemies at full throttle and alpha striking them until one of us is left standing, but this Banshee looks like it can pull that off pretty well too. I didn't see a specific build in the OP for the banshee, so I made one in the browser mechlab and wanted to know what I might be screwing up before spending cash. Is there such a thing as too many heatsinks on a brawling assault? Is that anywhere near enough AMS ammo? Should I bump up some of my med pulses to large at something elses expense? etc.

Also, is there anything I should actually know about Faction play before jumping in without a faction assigned? Does it basically give the same C-Bill/exp payout as normal matches?

Edit: haha okay I actually opened the banshee up in game and it's already very, very similar in loadout to what I planned there so I'm going to yolo queue with it and see what does and doesn't work

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 17, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The banshee is one of the best laser vomit poking mechs in the game, and the only thing that really competes with it in that arena is the battlemaster which is just slightly lighter but otherwise pretty much the same thing. It doesn't make for a very good brawler because it is all energy weapons, which are better for firing and then backing off to cool down. It's up there with the KDK3 as one of the mechs in the game where you should reliably be breaking 700-800 damage in a game if you don't make ridiculously bad decisions that get you killed early. Good games in the banshee will see greater than 1,000 damage, and they're not too rare.

Shove a small laser in the first laser slot on the banshee's torsos, then pile 3 large pulse lasers on the right side and 2 on the left, jam an XL400 into that bitch and load it full of heat sinks. Run around blasting people's faces off with staggered 3-2 large pulse laser shots while looking like Earl Hindman from Tooltime from behind whatever cover you can find.

The atlas is one of the best brawling assaults, but it really sucks at doing anything else that isn't brawling. You're totally at the mercy of your team while playing one.

In faction play you do everything as murderballs of 12 and wipe the enemy team from the map. If someone goes and does their own thing and doesn't die with everyone else, then your team will likely lose because you're fighting four series of 11v12s. The only exception to this is if the enemy team has even more people on their team being stupid.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Commoners posted:

The only exception to this is if the your team has even more people being stupid.

Fixed. You had me at "hello".

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Commoners posted:

The banshee is one of the best laser vomit poking mechs in the game, and the only thing that really competes with it in that arena is the battlemaster which is just slightly lighter but otherwise pretty much the same thing. It doesn't make for a very good brawler because it is all energy weapons, which are better for firing and then backing off to cool down. It's up there with the KDK3 as one of the mechs in the game where you should reliably be breaking 700-800 damage in a game if you don't make ridiculously bad decisions that get you killed early. Good games in the banshee will see greater than 1,000 damage, and they're not too rare.

Shove a small laser in the first laser slot on the banshee's torsos, then pile 3 large pulse lasers on the right side and 2 on the left, jam an XL400 into that bitch and load it full of heat sinks. Run around blasting people's faces off with staggered 3-2 large pulse laser shots while looking like Earl Hindman from Tooltime from behind whatever cover you can find.

Awesome, I took your suggestions and this is what I got out of the ordeal. I'm more than a bit afraid of using XL engines but hell, I'm used to running around in my ACH with 40 armor on the CT so I think I could get used to it. I guess this mech is how I'll learn to get good at positioning and poking around corners.

That 6.5 million CBill engine though :catstare:

Commoners posted:

In faction play you do everything as murderballs of 12 and wipe the enemy team from the map. If someone goes and does their own thing and doesn't die with everyone else, then your team will likely lose because you're fighting four series of 11v12s. The only exception to this is if the enemy team has even more people on their team being stupid.

This is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Just always be torso twisting and you'll do fine with XLs. They're bad in brawlers, but the mobility benefits far outweigh the survivability issues when you're running a laser vomit mech.

The default build isn't bad with its standard engine and it can still do work, but the 400XL 5LPL version is about as optimal as it can get.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Nope, no Banshee for me yet. Guess I have to actually play now.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Manyorcas posted:

That 6.5 million CBill engine though :catstare:

This is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

That's still the biggest complaint is the nickel and dining you to absolute death

I've been asked to buy poo poo less from phone gacha games

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dropped this game awhile back from a mixture of bordem / too much micro / PGI being poo poo.

Is the game handled any better, or is there just a lot of stockholm syndrome for stompy robots? Does stuff still take forever to grind for?

What are the thoughts on the time jump / tech update? I only just caught wind of it and it sounds like it might be interesting enough to come back for.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Oxyclean posted:

Dropped this game awhile back from a mixture of bordem / too much micro / PGI being poo poo.

Is the game handled any better, or is there just a lot of stockholm syndrome for stompy robots? Does stuff still take forever to grind for?

What are the thoughts on the time jump / tech update? I only just caught wind of it and it sounds like it might be interesting enough to come back for.

I believe patton gave a decent rundown of the new tech a page or 2 ago.
Game is still poo poo, but pissing off pubbies is still entertaining.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Oxyclean posted:

stockholm syndrome for stompy robots

Pretty much this

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Banshees suck ever since they nerfed their torso twist.

then again i never crammed an xl400 in one

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Yo, how do I get an invite to WOL? Pilot name is "lmao tzu"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

brosef deluxe posted:

Just get in vent and play.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Make sure you teamkill at least one pubbie per session.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Azuth0667 posted:

Make sure you teamkill at least one pubbie per session.

Make sure to decry "kerensky demands blood"

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Direct all complaints to @lowtax on twitter.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

PathAsc posted:

Make sure to decry "kerensky demands blood"

Foul Smelling Discharge Kerensky demands blood :black101:!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

brosef deluxe posted:

Post "New York Rangers are the best team in the history of hockey" for your next 50 posts and you'll get an invite.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/03/1766-patch-notes-14106-21mar2017 patch notes, assassin release, few small missile spread changes, critical system changes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
They noticed that nobody was taking SRM6s or SRM2s, and did the obvious fix: nerfed SRM4s.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

They noticed that nobody was taking SRM6s or SRM2s, and did the obvious fix: nerfed SRM4s.

That's not the worst thing they could have done. So I'm mildly surprised.

Also: Hi Cease.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I guess I'll reinstall for this thing

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Just reinstalled. The game isn't as fun as I remember it being. Does anyone prefer 12v12 over the old 8v8?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

Just reinstalled. The game isn't as fun as I remember it being. Does anyone prefer 12v12 over the old 8v8?

PGI likes it because they have to host fewer games.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Bubbacub posted:

Only white knights and whales. Followers of ngng, /r/reacharoudhpg, and 2000+ posters on the brown sea keep fellating Paul and Russ into making poor e-life choices.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That's not the worst thing they could have done. So I'm mildly surprised.

Also: Hi Cease.

Heya Ken.

armchairyoda posted:

Only white knights and whales. Followers of ngng, /r/reacharoudhpg, and 2000+ posters on the brown sea keep fellating Paul and Russ into making poor e-life choices.

Outreach is getting pretty angry lately. They had a full blowup over the skill tree.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cease to Hope posted:

Outreach is getting pretty angry lately. They had a full blowup over the skill tree.

Yeah but then Russ leaned over the pillows and whispered some sweet nothings into their ears and they all bought the top tier of the new pack. Back to business as usual.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Russ: "You're all cheapskates."
Outreach: :syoon: :homebrew:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Make sure you teamkill at least one pubbie goon per session.

Sorry Goast. Not really sorry.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

I was just thinking the other day about how I really didn't like the shift to 12v12... so easy to die fast, and then be stuck waiting forever to use your mech again.

Still hoping one day we'll get Solaris 1v1, but knowing PGI if it even does happen, it'll have costly entry fees or some poo poo. I just want to have some dumb light mech duels or some poo poo.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Video from the second screenshot. 1080p should work once it finishes processing. Thanks goons for making the match almost exactly 5 minutes long so shadowplay got the whole thing for once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62-XQho13E

If Crimson Strait didnt have terrible framerate issues constantly it would be one of the best maps.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Still hoping one day we'll get Solaris 1v1, but knowing PGI if it even does happen, it'll have costly entry fees or some poo poo. I just want to have some dumb light mech duels or some poo poo.

They had Solaris 1v1 showcased at MechCon at the Steiner Colosseum. It looked meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
There was some pubbie bragging in voice on how he managed to fit a raven with 2xLPL's and a standard engine while still hitting 97kph.

When I told him to never brag about poor life choices, he went into a rant about his dead-side shielding skillz.

:spergin:

• Locked thread