Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

glam rock hamhock posted:

On the one hand I'm sure Iron Fist is bad. On the other it's weird seeing people saying it's a concept that they can't see ever working and then basically describing Batman.

I'm five episodes in and while I'm enjoying it, the series would be infinitely better if Iron Fist weren't in it and it was just the Colleen Wing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

:/

That's what I get for trying to have a genuine conversation in CD I guess.

Anyway, Transmorphers is dope, the latest Marvel thing is bad. Baps.

im just joshin (but correct)

& agreed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just don't know why you gotta be a dick when I was just having a conversation with someone about how we perceive quality.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CelticPredator posted:

Alright so it's not as odd as a strip club but I'm at a bar and I've legit watched a PUA in action and it's the grossest thing I've seen in a while.

What is wrong with these people?

I met a girl in a deli tonight and she told me that some guy at her restaurant came up to her and told her "If I could rape anyone in this place, it would be you." I'm usually pretty good at expressing disgust but this left me without words.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 18, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't know why you gotta be a dick when I was just having a conversation with someone about how we perceive quality.

im saying that
"Irony's got nothing to do with it, I'm simply acknowledging the human condition where you can like something without that thing being good. If you're unable to make that distinction you're saying that your personal taste and experience is the only arbiter of something's merit, which is essentially abandoning most concepts that govern modern society."
is only true if u dont think anyone can have their mind changed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well I kinda don't think you can talk someone into or out of liking something, unless you reveal that the thing in question saved someone's life or is funded by neo nazis or whatever. I mean sure, discussion can shift one's perspective of something, and it can make them appreciate something more or less, but you can't talk someone into hating their favorite movie or loving their least favorite. It can only shift the opinion a couple of degrees.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Budgie Jumping posted:

I met a girl in a deli tonight and she told me that some guy at her restaurant came up to her and told her "If I could rape anyone in this place, it would be you." I'm usually pretty good at expressing disgust but this left me without words.

:stonk:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
YTotD: The last minute of editing on this Hell's Kitchen episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Y9piEyqc8&t=5115s

Budgie Jumping posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXoq-XD3Co0&t=57s

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Well I kinda don't think you can talk someone into or out of liking something, unless you reveal that the thing in question saved someone's life or is funded by neo nazis or whatever. I mean sure, discussion can shift one's perspective of something, and it can make them appreciate something more or less, but you can't talk someone into hating their favorite movie or loving their least favorite. It can only shift the opinion a couple of degrees.

Hard disagree

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Budgie Jumping posted:

The pickup line so bad it was actually a crime.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hard disagree

:shrug: I guess we exist in incompatible epistemological paradigms.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just to clarify, when I said people taking about Iron Fist were basically describing Batman I was referring to this

Timby posted:

But "billionaire white man becomes a monk, learns ancient martial arts technique and fights with his magic glowing fist to take back his family's company?" In what universe does that sound like a good idea?

Like I know it's not exact but it still is close enough that it's hard for me not to see it as someone thinking Batman could never possibly work

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

:shrug: I guess we exist in incompatible epistemological paradigms.

Have you had the same favorite movie since preschool?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Have you had the same favorite movie since preschool?

Yeah, Robocop.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Robocop.

Same, but Rollergator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg3s7xV__X8

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

GonSmithe posted:

Iron Fist is unbelievably bad, this coming from someone who is way too drunk on St. Patrick's.
And I like Finn Jones, too.

Banned for drunk posting

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

alright guys, I'm counting on you to culture me, make me feel, inspire me to think, and open up my soul... give me your list of Bergman films to watch, and in some type of order that I should watch them.

Loose watching order of the knew I've seen:

The Seventh Seal
Sawdust and Tinsel
Wild Strawberries
The Virgin Spring
Hour of the Wolf
Persona
Scenes From a Marriage
Fanny & Alexander

My favorite is Wild Strawberries.

Watch the long versions of Scenes From a Marriage and Fanny & Alexander

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That was the season when I was finally convinced that the producers were hiring ringers as contestants to amp up the insanity volume, because there's no way people would act like this.

It was a great season for gifs, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Budgie Jumping posted:

The true pickup artistry begins here

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

corn in the bible posted:

The true pickup artistry begins here

Mega neg

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

alright guys, I'm counting on you to culture me, make me feel, inspire me to think, and open up my soul... give me your list of Bergman films to watch, and in some type of order that I should watch them.

Here's what I've seen, listed in the order I recommend watching them

The Virgin Spring
The Seventh Seal
Wild Strawberries
Hour of the Wolf
Fanny and Alexander (watch the longer TV cut if you can)
Cries and Whispers
Scenes from a Marriage
Persona

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
So I guess since it's still Robert Osbourne's memorial, tonight's feature is finally Hard to Be a God. poo poo looks real good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA

edit:

I've only seen seven Bergman joints and they were all pretty much dope. De Duva (The Dove) is also a mad funny homage to/parody of his work.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 18, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

K. Waste posted:

So I guess since it's still Robert Osbourne's memorial, tonight's feature is finally Hard to Be a God. poo poo looks real good:

I'm anxious to hear what you think.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i read it not for the actual movie content but as an assessment of various poster's personalities

Alright, I'm interested. Read my tea leaves.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Timby posted:

That was the season when I was finally convinced that the producers were hiring ringers as contestants to amp up the insanity volume, because there's no way people would act like this.

It was a great season for gifs, though.

This is the part in the series where poo poo got peak ridiculous with both contestants and editing. Went from this to an episode of a recent season and things seem a little less like an outright parody.

A little.

The show is pretty good white noise for when I'm working.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 18, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The show is pretty good white noise for when I'm working.

Yeah, every now and again when I'm working in my living room instead of in my office upstairs I'll find an episode on Hulu and put it on in the background (not like there's much else on Hulu now that Viacom pulled all its programming) and the current season seems much less insane than in years past.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Timby posted:

Yeah, every now and again when I'm working in my living room instead of in my office upstairs I'll find an episode on Hulu and put it on in the background (not like there's much else on Hulu now that Viacom pulled all its programming) and the current season seems much less insane than in years past.

It calmed down a lot. Season 8 literally had a man who ate all the food that was sent back to the kitchen because he didn't want it to go to waste and also it's Gordon Ramsay food and you don't get a lot of chances to eat Gordon Ramsay food even though Gordon Ramsay didn't make it but he himself did.

And then he sticks his head in a freezer.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Budgie Jumping posted:

Still though, kinda cool she got to meet the president.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Slugworth posted:

Still though, kinda cool she got to meet the president.

:discourse:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

Alright so it's not as odd as a strip club but I'm at a bar and I've legit watched a PUA in action and it's the grossest thing I've seen in a while.

What is wrong with these people?

Ooh, ooh, please tell me he did a magic trick. Even though it's sleazy as hell I understand the concept behind poo poo like negging and trying to change the venue, but the bit where you try and impress a girl by doing a magic trick in a bar seems dumb as hell. I bet even Ricky Jay has better luck picking up women by telling them he's worked with Christian Bale than any slight of hand.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Magic tricks = cool as hell

Negging = not cool

Edit: im about to start Persona because it was the first one that popped up in my streaming search on Amazon.

Also, until a few years ago I totally thought Ingmar Bergman was a woman.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 18, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Negging = not cool

Edit: im about to start Persona because it was the first one that popped up in my streaming search on Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhBny671ZwE

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Negging = not cool

Very impressive that the hot lady from Casablanca was also a major director

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Oh poo poo, well atleast now I know why i thought that

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's a pretty easy mistake to make. What kind if name is Ingmar?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snak posted:

It's a pretty easy mistake to make. What kind if name is Ingmar?

You're thinking of Ingemar Johansson, guy who knocked out Floyd Patterson

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ingmar Bergman directed Ingrid Bergman in Autumn Sonata. He also married a woman named Ingrid.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

That's Ingmar Bergwoman.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

you know i was just thinking "poo poo what should i put on my second monitor while i play six hours of wow today"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh poo poo, well atleast now I know why i thought that

I remember being very confused about it as a kid reading references to Bergman as a man and a woman. In retrospect there were many possible explanations but I found it very puzzling

Biodome posted:

That's Ingmar Bergwoman.

Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Ingmar Bergman directed Ingrid Bergman in Autumn Sonata. He also married a woman named Ingrid.

Woody Guthrie was a big fan

• Locked thread