Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

BasicFunk posted:

I never really understood the Chip Caray hate. I'm not saying he's good, but I think he's tolerable.

Hmm. Joe Simpson is the really awful one, it's just between the pair they magnify each other's inadequacies and make the TV broadcasts intolerable. (Also it doesn't help that Skip Caray was the gold standard of Braves announcing and will remain so for a while yet.) Fortunately the radio crew is solid and it's generally no problem to mute TV audio and flick on the radio feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Timby posted:

The day Len Kasper was hired was a great day for America.

Brenly was good, and I don't actively dislike Deshaies as much as I did in his first year but the what if of a Kasper/Stone booth should make any Cub fan sad.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Apparently the Mariners hit three home runs off of Kershaw. :stare:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

elentar posted:

Hmm. Joe Simpson is the really awful one, it's just between the pair they magnify each other's inadequacies and make the TV broadcasts intolerable. (Also it doesn't help that Skip Caray was the gold standard of Braves announcing and will remain so for a while yet.) Fortunately the radio crew is solid and it's generally no problem to mute TV audio and flick on the radio feed.

I seriously miss Pete Van Wieren :smith:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Timby posted:

Dusty basically let the players declare war on the broadcast team

I want to know what you mean by this, and also it reminds me that Noah Syndergaard sniped Steven Matz & Doug Williams with a water gun in mid-interview yesterday.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

I love the resignation in Stone's voice, like, "... why did I leave the Cubs?"

He was fired because he was mean to the players by saying they looked like crap and that apparently hurt their feelings. Dusty Baker spent more time worrying about what the big mean announcers were saying about them rather than fighting for a wild card spot back in '04.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BasicFunk posted:

I never really understood the Chip Caray hate. I'm not saying he's good, but I think he's tolerable.

Chip tried way too hard to be Harry his first season. After he stopped doing that and became more of his own person he and Stoney were pretty good in the booth.

I like Len Kasper, and I've liked him ever since he worked for 620 WTMJ in Milwaukee, but I can't imagine watching a Cubs game without listening to Pat Hughes if at all possible.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

Joe was really good with Skip and worked well with Pete Van Wieren.

Since both their deaths - if not before on Pete - he's become a bitter old man.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Taint posted:

He was fired because he was mean to the players by saying they looked like crap and that apparently hurt their feelings. Dusty Baker spent more time worrying about what the big mean announcers were saying about them rather than fighting for a wild card spot back in '04.

Again, he wasn't fired, he quit.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I want to know what you mean by this

Throughout the 2004 season, Chip Caray and Steve Stone became increasingly critical of what they saw as a lack of effort on the team's part, as well as Dusty's management of the pitching staff. Eventually the players started revolting. Moises Alou tried to have them banned from the team charter flights, and at one point after Stone made a snide remark about Kent Mercker, Mercker called the broadcast booth from the clubhouse and demanded to talk to Stone -- prompting Stone to turn and say, "Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?" Rather than tell his players to grow the hell up, Dusty tacitly encouraged it, even saying in his post-season press conference that it was hard for a team to succeed when "certain people" didn't seem to be on the same page (basically throwing shade at the announce teams) -- this coming after Stone said at the end of the season that there was no excuse for the team to not have won a postseason berth by at least seven or eight games.

(Edit: I think 2004 is also the year it came out that Alou pissed on his hands to toughen them up, instead of wearing batting gloves. That was a strange year.)

Chip Caray's contract was up and Atlanta was heavily pursuing him; the Cubs made no real effort to keep him and so he walked. Stone had become quite fond of Caray (their families had become good friends), and between what he felt was a betrayal on the team's part by not reining in the players and Baker and because they didn't try to keep Caray in town, he said, "gently caress it," resigned (with two years remaining on his deal, I believe) and went to work for WSCR.

Your Taint posted:

Chip tried way too hard to be Harry his first season. After he stopped doing that and became more of his own person he and Stoney were pretty good in the booth.

Chip improved over the years, but his big problem -- that he's never gotten rid of -- is that he's pathologically incapable of shutting the gently caress up, and feels the need to talk over every second of every game.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 18, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

BasicFunk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHcGWHuThE

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I thought this was going to be the "fisting" compilation but I'll take this too.

I generally like Chip though.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Manny hit a double off the wall in his first AB in Japan

https://twitter.com/SalaDeportivaRD/status/842434567051087872

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Timby posted:

Again, he wasn't fired, he quit.

Throughout the 2004 season, Chip Caray and Steve Stone became increasingly critical of what they saw as a lack of effort on the team's part, as well as Dusty's management of the pitching staff. Eventually the players started revolting. Moises Alou tried to have them banned from the team charter flights, and at one point after Stone made a snide remark about Kent Mercker, Mercker called the broadcast booth from the clubhouse and demanded to talk to Stone -- prompting Stone to turn and say, "Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?" Rather than tell his players to grow the hell up, Dusty tacitly encouraged it, even saying in his post-season press conference that it was hard for a team to succeed when "certain people" didn't seem to be on the same page (basically throwing shade at the announce teams) -- this coming after Stone said at the end of the season that there was no excuse for the team to not have won a postseason berth by at least seven or eight games.

(Edit: I think 2004 is also the year it came out that Alou pissed on his hands to toughen them up, instead of wearing batting gloves. That was a strange year.)

Chip Caray's contract was up and Atlanta was heavily pursuing him; the Cubs made no real effort to keep him and so he walked. Stone had become quite fond of Caray (their families had become good friends), and between what he felt was a betrayal on the team's part by not reining in the players and Baker and because they didn't try to keep Caray in town, he said, "gently caress it," resigned (with two years remaining on his deal, I believe) and went to work for WSCR.

Chip improved over the years, but his big problem -- that he's never gotten rid of -- is that he's pathologically incapable of shutting the gently caress up, and feels the need to talk over every second of every game.

On paper that 2004 team was so goddamn good. Dusty was such an embarrassment.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
I have the opportunity to see a Giants game at ATT Park in April, and I realized the A's are in town that same weekend, so I'm thinking I'll try to complete my California Stadiums punch card. Any recommends on the best places to sit/eat in either park? I know to not sit in the Rivers of poo poo Section at the Coliseum.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Benny still got that good hair.

https://twitter.com/Cut4/status/843236925460766721

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Seems like a distraction to me.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Manny hit a double off the wall in his first AB in Japan

https://twitter.com/SalaDeportivaRD/status/842434567051087872

Manny being Manny :allears:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good Dog posted:

Seems like a distraction to me.

There actually was a decent amount of chatter regarding Gamel's hair when he was with the Yankees. And it was at the length you see in my avatar.

:negative:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've been looking for a new book to read on my Kindle, and have always been interested in hearing about one team's season/period, or just one period in general in a league. Has anyone read Split Season 1981? That and Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic: Charlie Finley's Swingin' A's caught my attention

I could also take recommendations of course

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 19, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/cjzer0/status/843326838495723520
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/843327054473060352

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
To reiterate: If you're not watching the WBC, you are loving up.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
:siren: 14 days til Opening Day! :siren:

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I'll agree with the above poster who said the Braves radio crew is better than Chip Caray. But I don't mind Chip. I mean of the broadcasters that can't shut up, at least he is really knowledgeable. The dudes who both don't know wtf they're talking about and can't shut up are infinitely more annoying. I often feel lucky to have such good local commentary. Also, in the postseason, the best is mlb.tv with only stadium audio.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Jays TV announcers are quite good, although I'm sad they fired Barry Davis.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

I'll agree with the above poster who said the Braves radio crew is better than Chip Caray. But I don't mind Chip. I mean of the broadcasters that can't shut up, at least he is really knowledgeable. The dudes who both don't know wtf they're talking about and can't shut up are infinitely more annoying. I often feel lucky to have such good local commentary. Also, in the postseason, the best is mlb.tv with only stadium audio.

if you did that though you missed out on some crucial information from joe buck, for example, here's a little known and important strategic fact about the world series: jon lester, the cubs pitcher, can't throw to first.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Dan Shulman does the Blue Jays commentary sometimes, and I honestly wish they would stop because it's like getting a glimpse into a beautiful new world, only to have to return to Pat Tabler and his fixation on players who are Big and Strong with Soft Hands.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Jays TV announcers are quite good, although I'm sad they fired Barry Davis.

I'm not even a Jays fan but Buck Martinez should be considered an all-time great. It's like watching baseball with a likable uncle who actually knows what he's talking about (most of the time).

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

"Santa Maria" is the worst call in sports.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The wbc is extremely good

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Jays fans overall are very lucky with both amazing radio talent and very good TV talent. For some reason though, Rogers keeps letting their retarded little brother Mike Wilner call an inning or two per game on the radio and it just ruins it for me. You go from listening to champagne with Jerry Howarth to drinking piss by listening to Wilner. If I am in the car with satellite I will switch to the other teams announcers for those innings.

Also Gregg Zaun is a jackass who is trying to be the lovely baseball version of Don Cherry, only somehow more misinformed and hick even though he is 40 years younger.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 19, 2017

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I liked Zaun better when he was a catcher and not a cartoon

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants have some tough roster decisions to make by Opening Day, more so than in recent years.

Mac Williamson and Jarrett Parker are slugging it out for left field, it's been fun. Mac looks ready for his shot, hitting .324/.378/.559, squaring up the ball all spring. Unfortunately for him, Parker's having a monster ST. Hit his 4th dinger last night, way deep off Hisashi Iwakuma, and he's slashing .333/.455/.694. Mac is 26 and still kind of a prospect; Parker is two years older, so less projectable, but he's done more at the MLB level. He's also out of options. I'm thinking they both make the team, and Parker is the Opening Day LF, but playing time is TBD.

Matt Cain is toast. Still has an OK breaking ball I guess but who cares, he can't throw a fastball by anybody. 8.4 ERA and 25 hits in 15 innings, it's been ugly. Ty Blach was getting good results until the Angels babipped him to death the other day. I'm not a huge fan, I think he's a 5th starter at best, but unlike Matt Cain he looks like he belongs in the big leagues. Giants need to DFA Cain and give Blach a shot. If he bombs then call up someone else. I'll be pissed if they give Cain a couple months in the rotation to prove that he's bad. We know that already.

Hwang, the third baseman we signed out of the KBO, might just make the team. He's hitting .321 with 3 HR and getting good reviews from the coaching staff. He's probably the favorite to beat out Kelby Tomlinson, Aaron Hill, Jimmy Rollins, and a cast of thousands for the last infield spot. This is tough because Kelby is easily the best defender of the bunch, and it's nice to have a slick fielding SS/2B on the bench. If Hwang gets it then the backup shortstop is... Eduardo Nunez? Who looked shaky there last year.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Buck Martinez's voice is the platonic ideal of baseball announcing

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IMB posted:

"Santa Maria" is the worst call in sports.

I just love how the crowd completely drowns him out, WBC atmosphere is not loving around.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hwang, the third baseman we signed out of the KBO, might just make the team. He's hitting .321 with 3 HR and getting good reviews from the coaching staff. He's probably the favorite to beat out Kelby Tomlinson, Aaron Hill, Jimmy Rollins, and a cast of thousands for the last infield spot. This is tough because Kelby is easily the best defender of the bunch, and it's nice to have a slick fielding SS/2B on the bench. If Hwang gets it then the backup shortstop is... Eduardo Nunez? Who looked shaky there last year.

You're forgetting to mention that Hwang owns

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Your Taint posted:

:siren: 14 days til Opening Day! :siren:

Okay, this sounds like a reasonable number of days

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

abuse culture. posted:

Buck Martinez's voice is the platonic ideal of baseball announcing

It was such a shame that he had to so perfectly announce such a lovely team for so many years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

It was such a shame that he had to so perfectly announce such a lovely team for so many years.

One of the nice things about watching the WS in Canada was we got the feed where Buck did colour. It was a beautiful thing, if only my guys would have finished what they started.

• Locked thread