Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mabels big day posted:

OH, that one. yeah i got all the bird kids together but i couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do with them at the spot with them.

Use the korok leaf they give you to play their song using the stones. The stones have little spikes on them that go from 1 through 5, so pay attention to the order that the birds sing in and play the stones in that order while standing on the platform. I really liked that quest :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Use the korok leaf they give you to play their song using the stones. The stones have little spikes on them that go from 1 through 5, so pay attention to the order that the birds sing in and play the stones in that order while standing on the platform. I really liked that quest :3:

Wait, what!?

They never gave me a leaf! :negative: I tried arrows and rocks and all sort of stuff until finally I googled it and found out I had to use a leaf. Thought it was weird that this one thing didn't have an ingame clue when everything else in the game is so well designed!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I had to look that one up since I couldn't find any ingame clues.

You need to use a Korok Leaf

thats too clever for me to have solved on my own

edit: ^ yeah same

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mabels big day posted:

OH, that one. yeah i got all the bird kids together but i couldn't figure out what the game wanted me to do with them at the spot with them.

stand on the shrine pedestal and use a korok leaf (given to you by the bird that started the quest) to blow wind IN the holes that correspond with the birds singing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Wait, what!?

They never gave me a leaf! :negative: I tried arrows and rocks and all sort of stuff until finally I googled it and found out I had to use a leaf. Thought it was weird that this one thing didn't have an ingame clue when everything else in the game is so well designed!

Maybe they only give you a leaf if you're not already carrying one?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to talk to the original bird.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I never got a chance to take a picture of Waterblight Ganon, and the numbers don't add up on the random picture shop. Is there a NG+ or some way to get another picture or am I just hosed on completing the compendium?

I could be wrong, but the numbers don't add up because he doesn't sell boss pictures until you fight them. I haven't tested it but I expect you should be able to buy Waterblight Ganon.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Regy Rusty posted:

I could be wrong, but the numbers don't add up because he doesn't sell boss pictures until you fight them. I haven't tested it but I expect you should be able to buy Waterblight Ganon.

gotta beat the game first, then you unlock the "Ultra monster" category, which is just boss/dragon pictures

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Speaking of dragons, I need a bunch of parts. What's the recommended way of getting the various bits? I assume you need you hit certain parts to get claws and horns? Location tips would also be nice.

Turns out the Fierce Deity set doesn't need star fragments, basically. I got some NFC tags and the Majora amiibo drops some crazy poo poo like attack +20 claymores.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 18, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love the Lost Woods/Labyrinth music and I think it's a masterstroke how the volume sorta "pulses" throughout the song. Confuses the hell out of people who played Ocarina of Time and think they know all about how the Lost Woods works! :v: I though it was a relatively easy and clever puzzle but I've seen several people fail to figure it out now. One went as far as to bruteforce it by cutting the grass in front of him to make a path, thus keeping track of where he had and hadn't gone. Some real Hansel and Gretel poo poo. :haw:

Cojawfee posted:

You have to talk to the original bird.

I could've sworn I did, but my inventory was full so maybe that had something to do with it?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Harrow posted:

Maybe they only give you a leaf if you're not already carrying one?

It doesn't matter. I did this yesterday, already had a leaf but was offered an extra one at the singing practice.

Also I finished the game today. Final tally: 85 shrines cleared, all the memories gathered and fairy mommas unlocked.

Great game, and I'm sure I'll replay it eventually. So fun.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 18, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Echophonic posted:

Speaking of dragons, I need a bunch of parts. What's the recommended way of getting the various bits? I assume you need you hit certain parts to get claws and horns? Location tips would also be nice.

Each one has a predictable route and time of day that it shows up. What you need to do is hit it in a specific spot so it drops that piece. Horns and fangs aren't easy--I recommend getting a long-range bow like any Rito bow for that (damage doesn't matter and triple-shot is actually not going to be very helpful). What you should do is camp out at a place where you know it'll fly by at a predictable time, jump up and use its updraft to gain height, then do a mid-air shot so you have plenty of time to aim.

You need to be precise in your shots because you can only get one piece per in-game day, so if you accidentally hit the body you'll get a scale. If you want a horn shard, aim for the ends of the horns, not the wider base--I usually get a scale if it don't hit near the horn's tip. For a fang, hit 'em square in the mouth. Scales are anywhere else and therefore easy. And if you haven't done each dragon's associated shrine quest, grab a scale while you're at it anyway. You'll need one of each to find every shrine.

Do not wait at the dragon's spawn point or it won't show up. You need to be somewhere along its path, but not right at the spawn. For example, Naydra won't show up if you camp out by the Spring of Wisdom, where you originally found and freed it.

Here's where I camp out for each:
  • Dinraal - The cabin right below Hebra Tower. Rest there until night, then go to the nearby cliff overlooking the valley. Dinraal flies through around midnight and you'll be above it, so it's easy to get the mid-air shot. Some people like to wait north of Death Mountain, but I think that's too close to Dinraal's spawn point so I wasn't able to get it to show up reliably there.
  • Naydra - Lanayru Promenade. Get up on one of the ruined walls and make a campfire. It flies by in the morning.
  • Farosh - The stable near Faron Tower. Rest there until night, then go to the bridge nearby. It will fly by around midnight.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 18, 2017

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Where are the climbing pants. I need the climbing pants.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If only this game had the Tomba fast pants.

I made a new game thinking this game wouldn't be dumb and erase my previous save. it turns out I am the one that is dumb. welp, i guess it'll be a while before i find out if the amiibo costumes have set bonuses

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I'm kinda feeling the enemy variety growing a bit stale now. Moblins and Lizalfos are getting pretty old at this point.
On the other hand, Lynels, Taluses(?), Hynoxes(?) and Guardians are a ton of fun to fight.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Where are the climbing pants. I need the climbing pants.

The three pieces are

Head: In the shrine between the dueling peaks, along the river
Body: In the shrine on the ocean, midway towards Eventide
Pants: In a shrine in the Mt. Lanayru Area. Talk to an NPC in Hateno village for the Secret of the Cedars shrine quest

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 18, 2017

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Oh also how do you "unlock" the memories or whatever? I feel like I've been to a bunch of the places but never triggered anything. Is it just a super specific spot or do you have to take the same picture orrr?

Augus posted:

I'm kinda feeling the enemy variety growing a bit stale now. Moblins and Lizalfos are getting pretty old at this point.
On the other hand, Guardians, Lynels, Taluses(?), Hynoxes(?) and Guardians are a ton of fun to fight.

The three pieces are

Head: In the shrine between the dueling peaks, along the river
Body: In the shrine on the ocean, midway towards Eventide
Pants: In a shrine in the Mt. Lanayru Area. Talk to an NPC in Hateno village for the Secret of the Cedars shrine quest

Thanks! And yeah, I kinda agree. I think this is one of the few things Witcher 3 has over Breath Of The Wild is ridiculous enemy variety but the combat in that game is nowhere near as fun soooo

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Oh also how do you "unlock" the memories or whatever? I feel like I've been to a bunch of the places but never triggered anything. Is it just a super specific spot or do you have to take the same picture orrr?

Thanks! And yeah, I kinda agree. I think this is one of the few things Witcher 3 has over Breath Of The Wild is ridiculous enemy variety but the combat in that game is nowhere near as fun soooo

There's a glowing spot on the ground if you're in the right area.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It's a specific spot. When you get close, you'll see a glowing spot that you can stand on and activate.

Augus posted:

On the other hand, Guardians, Lynels, Taluses(?), Hynoxes(?) and Guardians are a ton of fun to fight.

I wish they'd gotten a few more classic Zelda enemies in. Skulltulas or Gohmas, Darknuts (complete with Wind Waker impenetrable armor), Deku Babas (those snapping plants), maybe one other kind of flying enemy other than Keese, and where are the ReDeads? Coulda had some terrifying ReDeads in this one. Maybe Wolfos, too. Yeah, there are wolves, but they're territorial, not aggressive. Some sort of bestial monster like Wolfos would've fit in pretty well.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

cheating torch puzzle shrines with fire arrows and i dont care

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mabels big day posted:

cheating torch puzzle shrines with fire arrows and i dont care

Aww, is that the Five Flames one with the rotating block? I really enjoyed doing that one legit.

That said I've cheesed a ton of the "burn things" shrines with fire arrows though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Harrow posted:

It's a specific spot. When you get close, you'll see a glowing spot that you can stand on and activate.

I wish they'd gotten a few more classic Zelda enemies in. Skulltulas or Gohmas, Darknuts (complete with Wind Waker impenetrable armor), Deku Babas (those snapping plants), maybe one other kind of flying enemy other than Keese, and where are the ReDeads? Coulda had some terrifying ReDeads in this one. Maybe Wolfos, too. Yeah, there are wolves, but they're territorial, not aggressive. Some sort of bestial monster like Wolfos would've fit in pretty well.

Man, that just reminded me of how much fun Darknuts were with that roll-dodge WW Link has.

Harrow posted:

Aww, is that the Five Flames one with the rotating block? I really enjoyed doing that one legit.

That said I've cheesed a ton of the "burn things" shrines with fire arrows though.

I actually tried cheating that one and the torches wouldn't catch. Then I realized the crystal switches had directional arrows on them and felt like an idiot.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I actually tried cheating that one and the torches wouldn't catch. Then I realized the crystal switches had directional arrows on them and felt like an idiot.

Yeah, that was the first one I found with directional-arrow switches so it took me a sec to figure out what was going on. Once I did I had a good time lighting the torches without getting them wet. Also shooting through the fire to light an arrow and knock down the chests is always fun.

One of the things I like most about Breath of the Wild is how often puzzles try to get you to find a solution, not necessarily the solution. There's always an intended solution, sure, but they don't go out of their way to prevent you from being creative or using other tools. It means I've cheesed some puzzles but, at the same time, I'm not even sure it counts as cheesing them. And some of the puzzles I only ever found solutions that felt like I was cheesing them, but that was all I could come up with, so maybe I wasn't. It's a good time.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 18, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

I'm okay with the small range of enemies, because it's readily apparent a lot of work has gone into everything from their idle interactions to how they act during fights. I'd love a broader range too, but it's at least easy to see they haven't exactly been squandering the time spent on enemy programming.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Well, I've just found my least favourite monk - the piece of poo poo who thinks sending spiked balls rolling at you out of loving nowhere is funny. Douchebag.

Your Computer posted:

I love the Lost Woods/Labyrinth music and I think it's a masterstroke how the volume sorta "pulses" throughout the song. Confuses the hell out of people who played Ocarina of Time and think they know all about how the Lost Woods works! :v: I though it was a relatively easy and clever puzzle but I've seen several people fail to figure it out now. One went as far as to bruteforce it by cutting the grass in front of him to make a path, thus keeping track of where he had and hadn't gone. Some real Hansel and Gretel poo poo. :haw:
It's incredibly awesome how the game lets you do that!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, I've just found my least favourite monk - the piece of poo poo who thinks sending spiked balls rolling at you out of loving nowhere is funny. Douchebag.

There's two or three motherfuckers like that. I tried to smash their Shrine with their own spiked ball, see how they liked it :toughguy:.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

It's incredibly awesome how the game lets you do that!

I swear this could be the thread title, because I don't even have a count of how many times the game has made me think that :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm okay with the small range of enemies, because it's readily apparent a lot of work has gone into everything from their idle interactions to how they act during fights. I'd love a broader range too, but it's at least easy to see they haven't exactly been squandering the time spent on enemy programming.

Yeah, the variety in enemy behavior and the way bokoblins, moblins, and lizalfos will improvise sometimes definitely helps. And to be clear, if I had to pick between either having lots of simple enemies or a shorter list of complex enemies, I'll pick the latter. I just think the enemies I listed could've had some cool twists in Breath of the Wild, especially Darknuts and ReDeads. Maybe in the DLC.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm liking BoTW a lot more than The Witcher 3 solely because of the combat. TW3 had a great story, a gorgeous world filled with really interesting monsters and mechanics, but the combat and controls were pretty rough, and it made me kind of lose interest. BoTW's combat, on the other hand, is a total blast, and I love running into random Bokoblin camps to mess things up.

The ability to grab the Switch and play on the couch while someone watches TV or whatever is a big deal, too, since I don't have to anti-socially lock myself away in a room to play.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Holy shiiiiiit am I glad I didn't buy a Switch. The god awful motion controls puzzles in BOTW totally confirm that we're in for yet another generation of Nintendo games with gimped gameplay.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Your Computer posted:

I swear this could be the thread title, because I don't even have a count of how many times the game has made me think that :v:

I still hold that it should be Breath of the Wild: Off to see the Elephant.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ColdPie posted:

Holy shiiiiiit am I glad I didn't buy a Switch. The god awful motion controls puzzles in BOTW totally confirm that we're in for yet another generation of Nintendo games with gimped gameplay.

The game was originally developed for the Wii U, though, so those motion puzzles were going to be there with or without the Switch.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

snograt posted:

Yahtzee likes it. I think. It's getting ever harder to tell with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPPXGFvdw0

He makes an interesting point about the characterization. Link has always been the silent protagonist type with is pretty terrible overall for characterization but the expectation in this type of story is that all of the side characters will pick up the slack. I haven't seen all of the memories yet and I haven't fought the desert divine beast but I think I agree so far in terms of character development. -Mild story spoilers- Like, we learn that bird people are arrogant dicks but the only development is a halfhearted remark that link is pretty cool too. They set up a thing with that young Goron being kinda wimpy but then they kinda gloss over his character development into being brave. Sidon is pretty flat and they could have made him realize that he has the same feelings for Link that Mipha had.

Overall, I think the characterization is present but there isn't much character development. After doing the Rito divine beast, I realized that they could have done much more with the build up to the encounter by making a longer quest line. This would have been an ideal place to include the missing character development.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Harrow posted:

The game was originally developed for the Wii U, though, so those motion puzzles were going to be there with or without the Switch.

Yes. The main reason I didn't buy a Switch is because it has motion controls, and BOTW confirms Nintendo hasn't gotten over their boner for terrible control schemes, validating my decision.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Yes. The main reason I didn't buy a Switch is because it has motion controls, and BOTW confirms Nintendo hasn't gotten over their boner for terrible control schemes, validating my decision.

BotW's motion control is limited almost entirely to just a handful of shrine puzzles. We're not playing Skyward Sword here, and neither are any of the Switch's upcoming titles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ColdPie posted:

I mean, they weren't going to ditch motion controls completely, especially not when other consoles have them now (even if they're used much more sparingly). And you're acting like Breath of the Wild uses motion control outside of a single-digit number of shrines when it doesn't. Well, you can aim with the gyroscope on the Switch apparently, but you don't have to.

The presence of motion controls in console controllers is sorta standard now. Phones have it, too. It's just normal at this point. By all means wait to get a Switch, I know I didn't buy one yet, but I don't think it's fair to assume we're in for Wii 2.0 just because a few optional puzzles in a Zelda game use motion control.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hell in thought I was going to hate gyro aim. Turns out it rules.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SettingSun posted:

BotW's motion control is limited almost entirely to just a handful of shrine puzzles. We're not playing Skyward Sword here, and neither are any of the Switch's upcoming titles.

That isn't entirely true. Go take a look at ARMS.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm totally going to rub it in when the new Mario retains waggle to spin jump.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's two or three motherfuckers like that. I tried to smash their Shrine with their own spiked ball, see how they liked it :toughguy:.

This one's shrine's so hard to find (Maka Rah, by that lake in Hebra) I'm convinced the other monks looked at the plans, rolled their eyes, said oh well everyone's got to do one and we don't have time to redesign, just stick this shitweasel spike fetishist somewhere no-one'll ever find him.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That isn't entirely true. Go take a look at ARMS.

Which can be played entirely on a without motion controls. Aiming using motion also feels good.