Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

And holy poo poo are they cool. This is what the Harmony should have been.

Check the Academy page for Riftborn names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Cythereal posted:

Check the Academy page for Riftborn names.

I saw. It was beautiful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
From the description, I have absolutely no clue how the Riftborn will play. They create time bubbles which do... what? Their pops get +5 to all FIDS, like the Vodyani, so presumably they have some bizarre growth mechanic. And what political ideology could they possibly have?

Personally, I'm hoping that they have something cool like they hate all worlds equally but have some mega-terraforming project to turn them into crazy alien worlds that are inhospitable to everyone else. Which would go nicely with the Ecologist ability to settle any world type immediately.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Clarste posted:

From the description, I have absolutely no clue how the Riftborn will play. They create time bubbles which do... what? Their pops get +5 to all FIDS, like the Vodyani, so presumably they have some bizarre growth mechanic. And what political ideology could they possibly have?

Personally, I'm hoping that they have something cool like they hate all worlds equally but have some mega-terraforming project to turn them into crazy alien worlds that are inhospitable to everyone else. Which would go nicely with the Ecologist ability to settle any world type immediately.

They look like redux Harmony so I'm taking a wild guess it'll be something like that. They make planets into giant floating cubes or something.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So, no vaulters as a major race.

A shame. Only one human race.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

IAmTheRad posted:

They could always get promoted in an expansion. They're an important link in the Endless universe.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Vaulters are kind of boring and milquetoast outside of their cool teleportation ability though. IMO the Pilgrims were a lot cooler than​ them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

IAmTheRad posted:

That's the strangest complaint about a game I've ever seen. I...might be a minority in this, but I don't play these sci-fi games to be human again - and I'd honestly be happiest if they didn't bother with yet another human faction.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

We know the last faction is going to be the Unfallen. Those tree people according to g2g votes.

Speaking of g2g, there is a vote going on right now for an anomaly for gas giants.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The United Empire quest line requires you to side with an internal faction of humans, which include the old ES factions, like Sheridyn and Mezari. Presumably the Empire includes all of the other ones.

Horatio is also human, technically.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Horatios are human, though.

The perfect human.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Bogart posted:

Horatios are human, though.

The perfect human.

But I don't want to make the universe beautiful like Horatio is.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

IAmTheRad posted:

The Mezari are a subfaction of the Vaulters, and the Mezari are what the Endless Space universe now calls humans, so there... are.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the vaulters in endless legend were also pretty much defined by the fact that they were holed up on an icing over planet

not all that interesting to work from in a space setting

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

The Mezari are a subfaction of the Vaulters, and the Mezari are what the Endless Space universe now calls humans, so there... are.

In ES2, the Mezari are considered a subfaction of the UE.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I thought the Mezari were just the group of humans that at some date in the distant past colonized the United Empire homeworld. it's their name for themselves. the setting timeline is placed so far out in the future that Earth isn't even mentioned or remembered.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clarste posted:

In ES2, the Mezari are considered a subfaction of the UE.

Mezari seems to have replaced the word "human" in ES2. "Subfaction" seems to be kind of an understatement. If you look at the population breakdown for a world, they use the word "Mezari" for everyone on the UE's homeworld.

uber_stoat posted:

I thought the Mezari were just the group of humans that at some date in the distant past colonized the United Empire homeworld. it's their name for themselves. the setting timeline is placed so far out in the future that Earth isn't even mentioned or remembered.

Pretty much. The UE description says their homeworld was claimed by a "fleet of Mezari settlers"

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 18, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is the fantasy planet in endless legend part of the endless space universe? I didn't play much ES1 but I played a good amount of legend and I liked my robo-knight guys and want them to into space.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Baronjutter posted:

Is the fantasy planet in endless legend part of the endless space universe? I didn't play much ES1 but I played a good amount of legend and I liked my robo-knight guys and want them to into space.

I got some bad news for you friend.

Auriga is in the game, but in ES1 it's completely dead, and in ES2 it's a frozen hellescape.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The planet in Endless Legend is Auriga, a full-planet research laboratory run by the Endless, the setting's god-tech precursor species. Then the Endless Civil War almost entirely wiped them out, and Auriga's environment slowly degraded because of lack of maintenance (hence the Winter mechanic in EL). You can find it in ES (certainly 1, and I think 2 as well) as a lifeless, airless husk with enormous research potential from all the Endless artifacts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No, my magic fantasy robots escaped. No!!!!
Where did all the species on this arugula come from? Obviously the humans are just crashed vaulters or what ever, but what about the rest?

"The Vaulters, who descended from those very prisoners managed to build a ship, and were the only ones who managed to escape before a magneto-gravitational cataclysm froze the whole planet, a disaster that killed everyone else, including the Allayi, the planet's original native race."
Yeah actually it was the broken lords who did this, so why aren't they in ES2?? Explain that.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 18, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
The Endless used it as a biology research testbed. They're all, essentially, leftover toys.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do all the Endless Legend DLC go on sale from time to time? I haven't played since release and there's a lot of cool sounding DLC but I'm not paying like 3x what I paid for the game just to get all the up to date DLC.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Baronjutter posted:

Do all the Endless Legend DLC go on sale from time to time? I haven't played since release and there's a lot of cool sounding DLC but I'm not paying like 3x what I paid for the game just to get all the up to date DLC.

Yes, they do go on sale.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Baronjutter posted:

If you wait for a sale you can get all of them in one shot for real cheap.

Don't immediately disregard the Echoes of Auriga DLC. Yes, it's just music but it's more of the same amazing compositions from the base game. I think Shadows and Tempest are regarded as must haves for the dimension they add to the game, though the other two are no slouches.

Shadows - spying/subterfuge and a faction that focuses on those mechanics
Tempest - sea navigation/battles/fortresses and a sea-focused faction
Shifters - additional winter mechanics and a faction that thrives during winter season
Guardians - Global objectives like wonders, first-come-first-serve global quests, and big badass units to capture on the map.

Off the top of my head, all of them combined are around $20-25 during sales which are relatively frequent.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
Tempest is really amazing tbh. The Mogwayr accomplish the impossible of making a 4x navy focused faction that isn't completely terrible or completely broken. The Black Mark is loving hilarious.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 18, 2017

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Clarste posted:

They showed them off in the stream, the time bubbles work on an ammo system where you build them, can store up to 3 total, and use them on any system you have vision of. Two were shown: time compression gives a system +25% FIDS, +100%Hero XP, +100%Fleet XP, and +100% to one more I forget - repair? Time Dilation likewise gives a system -25% FIDS, -50% XP gain and that last thing. They lasted for 10 turns (on normal speed?) and their slot wasn't freed up for a new Singularity until it ended.

The early game seems like their weak point, their pops have +5 IDS, with no food bonus, and there was a Mechanical Embodiment construction that I think was building new pops? Anyways that adds up to slow population growth.

They seem cool overall, I'll probably play them until such time as I can vacuum Dust out of the universe again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Endless used it as a biology research testbed. They're all, essentially, leftover toys.

Are the Roving Clans an offshoot of the prisoner ship like the Vaulters, do we know?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Tempest is really amazing tbh. The Mogwayr accomplish the impossible of making a 4x navy focused faction that isn't completely terrible or completely broken. The Black Mark is loving hilarious.

I'm not a fan. Every time i played it multiplayer the mogwawr ran away with the game. Even with the fixes putting resources back into land, they would always end up with massive strategic/luxury resources while everyone else had barely anything

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
If everyone else completely ignores both the naval techs and the Morgawr's land cities then yeah obviously the Morgawr are gonna cruise to early ocean domination and tons of free stuff :v:

The thing is, the Morgawr kind of suck at land combat compared to a lot of other factions. If you can hit their cities with an early rush they're going to be way too busy scrambling to stay alive (or rushing a settler to another land mass) to conquer any facilities, and even if you let them attain naval supremacy, a big fat lategame Broken Lords or Wild Walkers tank rush will just completely wipe the loving floor with their land forces 9 times out of 10.

Think of them as being bizarro Cultists and you have a decent idea of a good way to handle them. Smash them early, or keep the pressure on so they don't have time to spread to every corner of Auriga unopposed. The worst thing you can do is to totally ignore them, unless you're Lords/Necrophages/Walkers and are already solidly on your way to building an unstoppable steamroller military-rush empire anyway.

They're definitely a lot more dangerous in human hands than they are as AI; if a Morgawr player lucks into a remote starting location and a good minor faction or good early facility, you're probably in for a pretty gnarly game. You just have to hope whoever's closest to them isn't dicking around uselessly while they build up that critical early momentum.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 18, 2017

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

So I tried to play a bit of Endless Space 1 as I had it in my library from the same time I bought Legend. It has not aged well. The UI is less elegant and the battle system/screen was incomprehensible. Interested in getting ES2 though, assuming it builds on the improvements from EL.

How similar is the early access ES2 to EL?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Are the Roving Clans an offshoot of the prisoner ship like the Vaulters, do we know?
Maybe experiments that evolved on their own? Not sure though

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I've always got the impression that whereas the vaulters were mezari who decided to try to figure out a way off this poo poo, who retreated to underground science caves to try to magic up a way home, and gradually forgot what they were doing over generations, the Roving clans are mezari who said "Ah gently caress it, this is fine" and just went about getting to know the planet they were stuck on.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. The clans and pain wizards and shadows are obviously human, just with new magic abilities from all the dust from living on the surface for so long.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Doesn't the Forgotten intro show them getting kicked out of the ship doors? I've never played as them so I've only seen it once during a trailer or so

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, the Forgotten are the descendants of people who were kicked out of the Vault for whatever reason, which is why they hate the Vaulters (and science) so much.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've certainly enjoyed every Tempest game I've played less than I've enjoyed the median non-Tempest game.

Stabbatical posted:

So I tried to play a bit of Endless Space 1 as I had it in my library from the same time I bought Legend. It has not aged well. The UI is less elegant and the battle system/screen was incomprehensible. Interested in getting ES2 though, assuming it builds on the improvements from EL.

How similar is the early access ES2 to EL?

Not very. It has more superficial similarities to ES, what with being a space 4X, though that doesn't mean much. They've clearly learned a lot of lessons from EL, and they've done a much better job of making each faction feel unique than ES1 did, but it's hard to articulate how a given lesson from EL lead to a ES1-->ES2 change, other than some relatively superficial stuff like influence and roaming quest armies.

ES2, it must be said, is very cool so far. I've only played a very little bit since an early build, and I haven't really found my sea-legs regarding the election mechanic, but so far I like that particular aspect. The 'choice' techs is an interesting design decision and I'd have to play a more militarily nail-biting game to tell if it's a good decision or not.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars
The Forgotten Love hero backstories imply the Forgotten are a failed Vaulter science experiment.

Auriga is a place where poor scientific ethics decisions come to die.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tulip posted:

I've certainly enjoyed every Tempest game I've played less than I've enjoyed the median non-Tempest game.

Not very. It has more superficial similarities to ES, what with being a space 4X, though that doesn't mean much. They've clearly learned a lot of lessons from EL, and they've done a much better job of making each faction feel unique than ES1 did, but it's hard to articulate how a given lesson from EL lead to a ES1-->ES2 change, other than some relatively superficial stuff like influence and roaming quest armies.

ES2, it must be said, is very cool so far. I've only played a very little bit since an early build, and I haven't really found my sea-legs regarding the election mechanic, but so far I like that particular aspect. The 'choice' techs is an interesting design decision and I'd have to play a more militarily nail-biting game to tell if it's a good decision or not.

How different do the factions feel? From watching it from afar it seems like mostly differently coloured +numbers and vodyani that do stand out EL-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baronjutter posted:

No, my magic fantasy robots escaped. No!!!!
Where did all the species on this arugula come from? Obviously the humans are just crashed vaulters or what ever, but what about the rest?

"The Vaulters, who descended from those very prisoners managed to build a ship, and were the only ones who managed to escape before a magneto-gravitational cataclysm froze the whole planet, a disaster that killed everyone else, including the Allayi, the planet's original native race."
Yeah actually it was the broken lords who did this, so why aren't they in ES2?? Explain that.

There is a Broken Lord hero in ES1.