Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Skipping the inspection seems to be increasingly common here in Colorado. All the "Googler" fuckheads buying the places don't care, they will just tear the house down and build a new monstrosity anyway.

Wow, and I thought that the tales of locals angry about the housing tastes of yuppies were overblown: https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/03/denver-battles-with-its-fugly-new-housing/519333/

Welcome to the new mcmansions, higher density and a complete disregard to what it looks like from the outside rather than fake luxury excessively busy exteriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
OTOH, if they're sustainably built, density as a goal is fine to me. Do I wish these spaces were more charming and eclectic? Sure, but that's not really reasonable with brand new construction. If they're efficient and proximal to things like transit and not utterly wasteful, this kind of SFH construction seems preferable to the "classic" detached house, car-as-king, low density suburban sprawl we see so much.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I like sim city 2020 style housing. Better then fake 1900 row houses.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Those are outright hideous

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Those are outright hideous

Yeah so? They're like high capacity frat-houses for aging Snake People.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Density is cool and roof decks are cool. I kind of like the idea of those Slot Homes for increasing density but the actual exterior appearances could use some work.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Would it kill them to use a color, maybe?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Sundae posted:

Would it kill them to use a color, maybe?

Brown is a color! Look how nicely it contrasts with the gray, taupe, slate, earth, clay and asphalt colors already present! It's Denver, not Bermuda or San Francisco.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
A bunch of new development around here in flyover country is duplexes and fourplexes and I don't understand why. Land is plentiful and cheap so for like 20% more you could get a single family home and not have to share a wall with anybody.

Not sharing a wall with anybody was like 80% of the reason I bought a house.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Thoguh posted:

A bunch of new development around here in flyover country is duplexes and fourplexes and I don't understand why. Land is plentiful and cheap so for like 20% more you could get a single family home and not have to share a wall with anybody.

Duplex condos are certainly super popular in Iowa, I think because a lot of people see it as an incremental upgrade to renting and that 20% is what stops them from doing so, so they get their starter condo and in 3 years go to upgrade.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Thoguh posted:

Cities across the country are now starting to grow with moderation, and higher density, more intentional development will be the way of the future going forward. Growth management is now a subject in city halls everywhere!

Plus, obviously it's more profitable for developers.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

B-b-but I love having my half an acre land in the Portland area. I'll never have to move then...I'll never find this again. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Brown is a color! Look how nicely it contrasts with the gray, taupe, slate, earth, clay and asphalt colors already present! It's Denver, not Bermuda or San Francisco.

Totally true. They'd be $2M each in San Francisco.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You seem strangely defensive of these monstrosities, did you personally build them or something?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

QuarkJets posted:

You seem strangely defensive of these monstrosities, did you personally build them or something?

No, I just think they are light years better than McMansions, so I'm willing to overlook a lot of the warts. I'm sure they're really gorgeous on the inside, too, because it turns out it's a lot more important to your quality of life to enjoy the inside of your home than the outside. It's kind of debatable to me whether private homes should be subject to scrutiny as works of public architecture. Like, who cares? It can be massively utilitarian if it wants, it's not like the face of some corporation or public office.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pryor on Fire posted:

Skipping the inspection seems to be increasingly common here in Colorado. All the "Googler" fuckheads buying the places don't care, they will just tear the house down and build a new monstrosity anyway.

What does this mean? Is this racist?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

What does this mean? Is this racist?

Yes, against highly compensated tech employees. They come from California, say "oh boy $550k is a STEAL for this 1700sqft 3/2" and entirely reshape the look of your real estate market.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I was absolutely floored when we first started looking at houses in Denver and every single showing was clogged with young tech startup looking people. I mean, I am one of those too I guess, but it was surprising nonetheless. Furthermore, it's a weird feeling when $500k starts feeling entry-level. The number of compromises that you are being asked to make on a half a million dollar house in this market is truly bonkers.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

God I'm glad I don't have to live in the West.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Twerk from Home posted:

Wow, and I thought that the tales of locals angry about the housing tastes of yuppies were overblown: https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/03/denver-battles-with-its-fugly-new-housing/519333/

Welcome to the new mcmansions, higher density and a complete disregard to what it looks like from the outside rather than fake luxury excessively busy exteriors.

The thing that always gets me about stuff like this is that these criticisms could just have easily applied to what we were building 100 years ago as they do today. Function over form, cookie cutter structures, no regional vernacular. C'mon! I still don't know what it's really about because if you applied those standards to today's beloved century old homes, they'd all be miserable failures as well.

Also there's talk about a climate based vernacular. We have air conditioning and furnaces, that ship has sailed. The vernacular you see now is zoning related, what bizarre restrictions does zoning place on new development that causes these things to be built.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I've been thinking about these houses all night and they've really grown on me.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I actually like the rowhome things at the top of the article (and that I quoted above) except for the godawful window placement. The others I have no ideas because they're abominations of mixed materials for no apparent reason (wouldn't surprise me if it was zoning).

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Those row houses would like 100% better with some wood strip siding, corrugated metal, or fiber cement panels.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

These have a consistent style (Modernist, sorta) and the window placement is intentionally erratic but still has a symmetry to it across the several houses. The biggest issues with them that I see are the extremely cheap and poor surface treatment. You can see the seams in the plywood panels, it looks like interior drywall that someone didn't properly mud and sand. This gives the whole row an air of severe cheapness. The very simple square and rectangular windows appear stuck to the surface, too, and that adds to the effect.

Secondarily, from this angle it's evident you're never supposed to enjoy an outdoor aspect of living there. They feel claustrophobic not because they're row houses, but because of the bare, sterile fence, empty ground in front, four identically bare and dead looking trees (presumably just leafless because it's winter) stuck in tiny claustrophobic "back yards," etc. I think we're looking at the rear elevations, the fronts might be very different, but based on what we can see, these houses are places to go isolate yourself in while listening to - and despising - every tiny noise your neighbors make through the (presumably) paper-thin, cheap as gently caress shared walls.

Finally, they're obviously vacant. There's no window treatments - no curtains, nothing inside, you can see right through the one on the right. Makes them seem like hollow structures. Once someone moves in and puts a plant in a window and some blinds up or something, they'll look a little bit better.

But yeah they're gross mostly because they're obviously both brand new, and already looking like they're falling apart.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 15, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

But yeah they're gross mostly because they're obviously both brand new, and already looking like they're falling apart.

This right here sums up why 90% of new construction is shite.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

These have a consistent style (Modernist, sorta) and the window placement is intentionally erratic but still has a symmetry to it across the several houses. The biggest issues with them that I see are the extremely cheap and poor surface treatment. You can see the seams in the plywood panels, it looks like interior drywall that someone didn't properly mud and sand. This gives the whole row an air of severe cheapness. The very simple square and rectangular windows appear stuck to the surface, too, and that adds to the effect.

Secondarily, from this angle it's evident you're never supposed to enjoy an outdoor aspect of living there. They feel claustrophobic not because they're row houses, but because of the bare, sterile fence, empty ground in front, four identically bare and dead looking trees (presumably just leafless because it's winter) stuck in tiny claustrophobic "back yards," etc. I think we're looking at the rear elevations, the fronts might be very different, but based on what we can see, these houses are places to go isolate yourself in while listening to - and despising - every tiny noise your neighbors make through the (presumably) paper-thin, cheap as gently caress shared walls.

Finally, they're obviously vacant. There's no window treatments - no curtains, nothing inside, you can see right through the one on the right. Makes them seem like hollow structures. Once someone moves in and puts a plant in a window and some blinds up or something, they'll look a little bit better.

Please look up some houses on Zillow and write about them ITT.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

have I got the website for you!

http://www.mcmansionhell.com/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Basically everything I said I learned by reading mcmansion hell so yeah, just read that my friend. It's good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

These have a consistent style (Modernist, sorta) and the window placement is intentionally erratic but still has a symmetry to it across the several houses.

The houses as a set are asymmetrical though; the far-right windows on the house on the far-right are all lower than the other 3 houses. And the third house from the left has an overhead light on the top floor, a feature that the others lack for some reason. This also raises the ridiculous decision to put a pair of outdoor lights over the pair of tiny windows on the left side of each house (the house second from the left apparently left these lights on; seriously, what the gently caress are these for?)

FISHMANPET posted:

The thing that always gets me about stuff like this is that these criticisms could just have easily applied to what we were building 100 years ago as they do today. Function over form, cookie cutter structures, no regional vernacular. C'mon! I still don't know what it's really about because if you applied those standards to today's beloved century old homes, they'd all be miserable failures as well.

Also there's talk about a climate based vernacular. We have air conditioning and furnaces, that ship has sailed. The vernacular you see now is zoning related, what bizarre restrictions does zoning place on new development that causes these things to be built.

The thing is though that you can have form and function. Plenty of highly-functional homes also look nice. These look like they were slapped together in a weekend from a 4 year-old's impressionistic drawing of what a house looks like.

These houses look so poorly designed that I challenge the notion that they're even functional at all. Without seeing the inside we can't say for sure either way, but one-quarter of the top level is uncovered and apparently is just a giant rain-catching flat volume, since it had to be hooked up to the vertical gutter pipe but is also supposed to be recreational space somehow; that's going to be a nightmare to maintain.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But "it's not functional" isn't one of the arguments in that article! I take issues with statements like this:

quote:

very boxy style that isn’t really a style, it’s very utilitarian.
I live in a simple four square built in the 1910s, which is about when my neighborhood was built out. It's a very simple box, with structural wall running from the basement up to the second floor. It's a boxy utilitarian structure. And it's cookie-cutter, there's an identical house down the block from me. And even at that time there was no vernacular architecture. Companies like Sears and Alladin were selling identical homes all across the country, and there were already home plan magazines so the whole country was looking at the same home plans.

There are thousands of simple square boxes in my city, covered in stucco (because for whatever reason at the turn of the century stucco was easy in Minnesota). They're simple, they're boxy, they're utilitarian. The article mentions italianate architecture as being part of Denver, but Denver is not Italy. I'm sure there's italianate architecture all around the country. I'm also betting that there are plenty of beloved Victorians in Denver. But there are beloved Victorians all over the country that look nearly identical to each other. They're cookie cutter mass produced houses. So again, I look at these articles that complain about how design these days is so bad, but these same exact arguments would have applied to the houses built 100 years ago that we now love. So what's the difference?

I'm not saying these houses are beautiful, I'm saying that we really really really suck at criticizing them. I'll agree that there's something wrong with the buildings in that article. But the it's not the things the article says, it's something else.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Speaking of Denver, and Nashville where I'm moving and we originally got on this tangent, I'm getting some major cold feet about buying after looking at house prices over the last 4 years. It seems inevitable that after years of double digit percentage annual price increases and rates finally going up now that there's going to be a market top. I had a nightmare last night that we were moving out of Nashville in 5 years, which is about how long we know we'll be there for sure, and ate a $70k loss on the house.

Looking at reports from 3 years ago in the places where I can barely find anything under $440k, new construction was going for $260k in 2013.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I feel you, and I all I can say is that I read Peter Lynch quotes to help me sleep at night.

Peter Lynch posted:

"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves."

Peter Lynch posted:

"I can't recall ever once having seen the name of a market timer on Forbes' annual list of the richest people in the world. If it were truly possible to predict corrections, you'd think somebody would have made billions by doing it."

If you know there's an expiration date on your time in Nashville, that obviously puts a lot more pressure on your game plan and I'd say that it's almost a given that you won't be selling at the perfect time. Having said that, no one can predict the future and if you are in a position to buy and have made the decision that it's the best option for you given your current situation, then that's all that you can really know for certain.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 16, 2017

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Twerk from Home posted:

Speaking of Denver, and Nashville where I'm moving and we originally got on this tangent, I'm getting some major cold feet about buying after looking at house prices over the last 4 years. It seems inevitable that after years of double digit percentage annual price increases and rates finally going up now that there's going to be a market top. I had a nightmare last night that we were moving out of Nashville in 5 years, which is about how long we know we'll be there for sure, and ate a $70k loss on the house.

Looking at reports from 3 years ago in the places where I can barely find anything under $440k, new construction was going for $260k in 2013.

I'm in Memphis and even without the insane increase in prices, I'm still paranoid about selling in a few years and getting hammered with a loss.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Nashville has been crazy the last 5 years or so. I bought the first time in 2011 when the market was still about at the bottom. There were so many houses that had been for sale for a LONG time, and I was able to lowball my way into a house where the previous owner had already moved to Texas and just wanted out. Fast forward to last year, if you didn't go look at something the day it was listed and put in a good offer, you didn't stand a chance. I'm a little scared like you are about the market going down again, but I got into my condo cheap enough that I know I'll have no problem renting it out if necessary.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

DJCobol posted:

Nashville has been crazy the last 5 years or so. I bought the first time in 2011 when the market was still about at the bottom. There were so many houses that had been for sale for a LONG time, and I was able to lowball my way into a house where the previous owner had already moved to Texas and just wanted out. Fast forward to last year, if you didn't go look at something the day it was listed and put in a good offer, you didn't stand a chance. I'm a little scared like you are about the market going down again, but I got into my condo cheap enough that I know I'll have no problem renting it out if necessary.

This is what Charlotte is doing. I'm looking for an old fixer upper and people are paying cash and over asking for houses, slapping lipstick on them and selling them for 50k more.

gently caress these people, I just want a project house to actually live in and make mine. I'm taking a break and hoping the market cools down, cause I'm not paying 160k for a house that doesn't have A/C or grounded outlets yet.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Looks like our appraisal went without any issues, is it pretty much smooth sailing from here on out? Can I loving breath already?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Photex posted:

Looks like our appraisal went without any issues, is it pretty much smooth sailing from here on out? Can I loving breath already?

Now the paperwork starts.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

H110Hawk posted:

Now the paperwork starts.

There's always more and it's always worse.

I was pleasantly surprised that the people buying my house didn't even want an inspection. I suspect that they're flat broke since they asked for help with the closing costs. Regardless, they're lucky because the house is actually in decent shape.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Use the ny times rent vs buy calc. You can figure out what is best for you given the length of time you will be living there and your predictions on the rental increases, home appreciation, and stock market gains/opportunity cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

tehinternet posted:

There's always more and it's always worse.

I was pleasantly surprised that the people buying my house didn't even want an inspection. I suspect that they're flat broke since they asked for help with the closing costs. Regardless, they're lucky because the house is actually in decent shape.

That's very odd actually.