Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Im super tempted to finally cave and get an rgb modded Famicom, but I'm not sure if I'll still love myself in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GutBomb posted:

Not monitor lag. Emulator introduced lag.

Ahhhhhhhh I see.

univbee posted:

We can definitely give you more specific advice if you can narrow down what sort of thing you're looking for.

Alright, well we have 10-player saturn bomberman covered already. That's our one strong offering. Our arcade guys run it on a projector in their area. I would like to have say 8 systems ready to go that preferably have the following qualities-

1) Pick up and play games. Just whatever it is, someone can come by and start playing.
2) The games have to be things people would actually WANT to play
3) Co-op is better than competitive, we have a whole operation just for tournaments, and our free play area has gotten complaints for having too many fighting games and not enough just *stuff*
4) The exception to 3 is if it's very unique. Think like, Blast Chamber or Chu-Chu Rocket unique.
5) Nothing single player unless it will have high turnover and is fun to watch someone else play
6) Stuff that people won't mind a little emulation lag on (though less is better, I would like to know the best setup in that regard)
7) Attract mode or the ability to lock the system down to a single game, if we're using emulation
8) Enough games in our stable that we could change them out every 4 hours or so over the course of 3 days, with 4 shifts a day.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

7) Attract mode or the ability to lock the system down to a single game, if we're using emulation
8) Enough games in our stable that we could change them out every 4 hours or so over the course of 3 days, with 4 shifts a day.

Depending on how much time/effort you're willing to invest, a custom Hyperspin solution could work. Depending on the specific titles, I feel like MAME with the Software List (i.e. what MESS turned into) might be your best bet for putting together a single config that works for everything, although that being said it sounds like you wouldn't have that many games total so individual custom dealies could work.

If you mapped the system controls right, you could have external controllers for the game itself, but the buttons for breaking out of the emulator to switch games would be keyboard-only and that would be out of reach to the attendees.

This is an example of what Hyperspin attract mode looks like (it randomly spins the wheel and plays en embedded MP4 or FLV file), it's extremely customizable if you put in the time and effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_Y5fNhFSo

That said, the best "unique" experiences that can't be replicated at home generally involve custom controllers, like stuff with the DK Bongos on Gamecube, or FF Crystal Chronicles with GBA links.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

univbee posted:

Depending on how much time/effort you're willing to invest, a custom Hyperspin solution could work. Depending on the specific titles, I feel like MAME with the Software List (i.e. what MESS turned into) might be your best bet for putting together a single config that works for everything, although that being said it sounds like you wouldn't have that many games total so individual custom dealies could work.

If you mapped the system controls right, you could have external controllers for the game itself, but the buttons for breaking out of the emulator to switch games would be keyboard-only and that would be out of reach to the attendees.

This is an example of what Hyperspin attract mode looks like (it randomly spins the wheel and plays en embedded MP4 or FLV file), it's extremely customizable if you put in the time and effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_Y5fNhFSo

That said, the best "unique" experiences that can't be replicated at home generally involve custom controllers, like stuff with the DK Bongos on Gamecube, or FF Crystal Chronicles with GBA links.

I'm interested in this Hyperspin poo poo for real. Maybe we rig up some cabinets with that, and only put in games that are compatible with the control scheme?

We had our unique controller phase about 7+ years ago though, through the Bemani crisis. Now there's a Round 1 in our area with those games so we don't have to worry about sourcing a Museca cabinet or whatever. Hell I still have 2 sets of Taiko no Tatsujin controllers in my garage, along with a Hatsune Miku full size controller and god knows what else.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Four Swords Adventures would be really cool. I don't think I've ever played with 3 other people, despite having everything needed. except friends, of course

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RZA Encryption posted:

Four Swords Adventures would be really cool. I don't think I've ever played with 3 other people, despite having everything needed. except friends, of course

off topic : didn't you want me to build you a mini Astro City? They're back on preorder for another release soon if you still want me to do that. If I'm mis-remembering just ignore me.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10389481

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caitlin posted:

off topic : didn't you want me to build you a mini Astro City? They're back on preorder for another release soon if you still want me to do that. If I'm mis-remembering just ignore me.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10389481

They're adorable, but I don't think that was me. Of course, I could be mis-remembering also! Thanks, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I'm interested in this Hyperspin poo poo for real. Maybe we rig up some cabinets with that, and only put in games that are compatible with the control scheme?

We had our unique controller phase about 7+ years ago though, through the Bemani crisis. Now there's a Round 1 in our area with those games so we don't have to worry about sourcing a Museca cabinet or whatever. Hell I still have 2 sets of Taiko no Tatsujin controllers in my garage, along with a Hatsune Miku full size controller and god knows what else.

Hyperspin is a frontend; the core software and some 240p blocky versions of the attract mode assets/videos are free, higher res videos and some software to make setup easier isn't free, though, total cost for lifetime access to everything is like $90 or some such. It's all done with XML and INI files. It's not difficult software to setup and get going, but there IS a lot of work involved in getting it working, especially if you're looking for a specific, customized setup. A half-day or so of messing with the free stuff should be enough to give you an idea if it'll accomplish what you want (which is likely, based on your description).

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

RZA Encryption posted:

They're adorable, but I don't think that was me. Of course, I could be mis-remembering also! Thanks, though.

It's totally fine and it was a while back and I'm a space cadet! If the correct person reads it and still wants one they can message me. Or not I mean whatever!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

signalnoise posted:

Ahhhhhhhh I see.

It's also not a real problem with modern emulators on any sort of recent computer system. Unless you're specifically trying to play certain old rhythm and fighting games, which you probably wouldn't want to have for just a "here's some games" corner at a larger convention.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master

Panic Restaurant posted:

Hey, so like are you literally me? Because I've always been weird like this too. I have fond memories of leaving Mega Man 3 idle in Spark Man's stage just so I could listen to the music as a kid. And when Napster first became a thing, I immediately started slowly downloading Chrono Trigger's OST track by track.

My music collection is still roughly 90% game soundtracks, which always leads to a fun conversation when someone asks what you're listening to and you have Nier's unique vocals blasting in your ear. :v:

I love pounding on nerds like you.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm kind of weird in that I've been the worst kind of obsessive game fan for my entire life but always listened to "real" music when I was just listening to music aside from a few really specific things like ridge racer soundtracks

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I'll listen to the Final Fantasy piano collection, maybe some cool Zelda songs/remixes, but that is about it. Only movie scores I cared about was James Bond movies and some Hans Zimmer stuff like Inception. Real music other than that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

fishmech posted:

It's also not a real problem with modern emulators on any sort of recent computer system. Unless you're specifically trying to play certain old rhythm and fighting games, which you probably wouldn't want to have for just a "here's some games" corner at a larger convention.

Yeah for that we have legit arcade cabinets and a squad of dudes whose sole purpose there is to run tournaments.

Good to know!

If I want to do emulation then, my plan is for legal purposes to have a hidden cache of legit cards/discs/whatever on premises but under lock and key only for verification if some company wants me to show them. What are my options for emulation hardware that will run smoothly, output HDMI (cause I probably won't convince our board to buy and store CRTs, and if I'm emulating, gently caress it), and not require the carts themselves? Hyperspin looks good and the convention is months away so I can fiddle with making a build tape no problem. Is this a pi3 situation?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

signalnoise posted:

Yeah for that we have legit arcade cabinets and a squad of dudes whose sole purpose there is to run tournaments.

Good to know!

If I want to do emulation then, my plan is for legal purposes to have a hidden cache of legit cards/discs/whatever on premises but under lock and key only for verification if some company wants me to show them. What are my options for emulation hardware that will run smoothly, output HDMI (cause I probably won't convince our board to buy and store CRTs, and if I'm emulating, gently caress it), and not require the carts themselves? Hyperspin looks good and the convention is months away so I can fiddle with making a build tape no problem. Is this a pi3 situation?

http://www.arcadepunks.com/64gb-attract-mode-image-with-roms-retropie-pdark-code-named-the-hyperspin-pi/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Thanks for this

fam

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

signalnoise posted:

Good to know!

If you want it to run smoothly, any regular laptop or desktop made in the past like 10 years, besides netbook-level devices, will stuff up to the PS1 just fine. More recent devices will have HDMI or DVI (which is dirt cheap to convert to HDMI) output, and older ones you can just toss in like a $10 used video card with HDMI out instead.

Also as far as legality goes, plenty of games are available on Steam and you can just buy them and copy the ROMs out into a regular emulator (though their own emulators are often fine) and various CD-based console games can be played directly off the real disc in a CD/DVD drive, particularly Sega CD and PS1 games.

A Pi3 will do fine as long as you don't really go past the 16 bit systems. It'll play a few N64 and PS1 games ok, but a lot of others will have noticeable slowdown that just won't be fun. So basically, decide where you really want to make a cutoff on that point, because they simply aren't that powerful due to their goal of being cheap and low electricity draw.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What if I want to top out around CPS2?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

signalnoise posted:

What if I want to top out around CPS2?

It still shouldn't be that hardware-intense. The CPS2 is Motorola 68000-based with a Z80 coprocessor, same as the CPS1, Neo Geo MVS, and even Sega Genesis - it just has a faster clock speed, better color options, and I think better audio hardware than its predecessors.

I'm sure someone will point out that it's somehow light-years ahead, but from what I see at base, that's the big difference. It should still be a breeze; I was emulating Street Fighter Alpha playably on a Pentium 200 back in 1999, 2000. It wasn't a barnburner, but it was playable, and the last fifteen years of emulator and PC hardware advances have basically made it a sneeze to emulate.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

signalnoise posted:

, along with a Hatsune Miku full size controller

gimme it

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

The shipping would be insane

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

The shipping would be insane

IIRC they're worth a few grand so I don't think he'd mind paying for shipping. I wouldn't mind either :shobon:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

I believe you can do it with GSCC XP. GSCC XP also allows you to copy saves to and from the Controller Pak for sure (though it's a little unreliable, you sometimes need to try a copy twice, it also only addresses the controller paks in slot 1 and 2). You can also dump cartridge ROMs, take screenshots live from the N64, and temporarily freeze game execution entirely.

The software also works with Saturn and PlayStation 1 cheat devices with PC connections, and can do memory card copy and write on the PS1.

The downside is it really works best in Windows 98, although it'll still work in NT 4.x, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. You'll also need a real parallel port, the usb-parallel adapters they sell to use old printers don't implement the full port - though a parallel port on an ExpressCard, PCMCIA card (for older laptops) or general add-in card for a desktop PC will work fine.

http://fishmech.info/gscc_xp.7z Here's the program and associated files, since I'm sure the site I got it off of in 2002 or so is long dead.
The next logical question I'd have is whether there's any way to connect serially to a computer without an add-in PCIe card, because lugging my machine out to add stuff to its internals is a big pain.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nate RFB posted:

The next logical question I'd have is whether there's any way to connect serially to a computer without an add-in PCIe card, because lugging my machine out to add stuff to its internals is a big pain.

It's a parallel port, not a serial port. You need to have a full working parallel port, and on a desktop PC that means an add-in card. Standard USB-Parallel port convertors won't function because they're only designed for working with printers and thus don't work with all the pins in the connector the correct way. Your only other option would be if you had one of the rare desktops that support PCMCIA or ExpressCard slots in which case you'd be using cards normally meant for a laptop to add the ports.

Also if your computer you're talking about is running anything newer than XP, forget it. That software relies on a custom driver for the parallel port that's only meant for use in XP and earlier. You can maybe force it to run in Vista or 7 but only if you're running those in 32 bit only mode, which you likely aren't.

You may be able to pass through parallel port access to Windows XP or preferably Windows 98 running inside a VM, depending on the VM software you're using. But that will quite a pain to set up properly and may not be able to maintain the proper timing regardless. VirtualBox supports passing through a physical parallel port (though it can be difficult to setup) and VMWare ESXi 5 and later also support it (though that's expensive!)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

univbee posted:

IIRC they're worth a few grand so I don't think he'd mind paying for shipping. I wouldn't mind either :shobon:

loving WHAT

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

signalnoise posted:

...a Hatsune Miku full size controller

A what?! I gotta see pics of whatever the hell this thing is. What's it for, anyway?

signalnoise posted:

loving WHAT

If it's a full-size statue of Hatsune Miku, one that acts as a controller for a game no less, it's no surprise people will paythrough the nose for one.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A what?! I gotta see pics of whatever the hell this thing is. What's it for, anyway?

If it's a full-size statue of Hatsune Miku, one that acts as a controller for a game no less, it's no surprise people will paythrough the nose for one.

It's not a statue one, it's the plastic one with 8 bigass dome buttons used to play the hatsune miku rhythm game

Also I just remembered it's in someone else's possession at the moment. If it really is worth a lot, I will have to get it back to sell it for budget funds. drat

This thing, found someone else's pic

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 18, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want that

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Any thoughts about making a new thread about rom hacks/translations/emulation? With RHDN out to lunch right now I thought it'd be cool to have a place to talk about things like Metroid Rogue Dawn or the ridiculous Link to the Past rom hack that turns it into a loving Conker game.

Feels like such conversation here tends to be fleeting, so I was thinking it might be nice to have a dedicated thread for it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ballz posted:

Any thoughts about making a new thread about rom hacks/translations/emulation? With RHDN out to lunch right now I thought it'd be cool to have a place to talk about things like Metroid Rogue Dawn or the ridiculous Link to the Past rom hack that turns it into a loving Conker game.

Feels like such conversation here tends to be fleeting, so I was thinking it might be nice to have a dedicated thread for it.

I'd be interested.

Also it's RH.net gone for good? :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

signalnoise posted:

It's not a statue one, it's the plastic one with 8 bigass dome buttons used to play the hatsune miku rhythm game

Also I just remembered it's in someone else's possession at the moment. If it really is worth a lot, I will have to get it back to sell it for budget funds. drat

This thing, found someone else's pic

Yeah, I think they only made a very small batch at 35k yen each and they don't come up for sale often.

Actually there's one on eBay right now for $507US shipped.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 18, 2017

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Mak0rz posted:

I'd be interested.

Also it's RH.net gone for good? :(

No, it'll be back but we don't know when.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ballz posted:

I wanted to do a ROM hacking and translations thread, got the ok to make one, and then started writing an OP. The scope kept getting bigger and bigger and eventually apathy set in. I can't find the doc offhand but it was going have the following:
- What is ROM hacking?
- Hacking tutorial posts from the previous version of this thread.
- Notable English Translations
- Notable ROM hacks (non-Sonic/Mario)
- Brief history of Mario Hacking, tools, and notable hacks.
- Brief history of Sonic Hacking, tools, and notable hacks.
- General ROM hacking tools, documents, resources, and practices.

I would argue that RHDN down is a terrible time to make a thread, since that's a great resource for downloads and finding hacks. Just hunting down links to make a thread would be a pain.
Somewhat related, everyone should have this web-based IPS patcher bookmarked: http://wanderingcoder.net/projects/JPS/ . Never download an IPS patcher again.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's basically a Pop'N Music controller, except the button layout is + - + instead of 4x5, and it's for the Project Diva games, of which each one is 3/4 incredibly fun rhythm game and 1/4 embarrassingly cringeworthy dating sim.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's a shame that rhdn doesn't really have any competition because when it does go down it REALLY makes it harder to find things. If you do find your WIP thread I'd be interested in finishing it for you. Otherwise I might put something together myself, although it probably wouldn't be nearly so comprehensive.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If there is a romhack participation thread I will... participate

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Heran Bago posted:

I would argue that RHDN down is a terrible time to make a thread, since that's a great resource for downloads and finding hacks. Just hunting down links to make a thread would be a pain.
Somewhat related, everyone should have this web-based IPS patcher bookmarked: http://wanderingcoder.net/projects/JPS/ . Never download an IPS patcher again.

:goonsay: um but does it have Beat file support?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

:goonsay: um but does it have Beat file support?
Nah it's barebones IPS. Works offline if you save it I think, but it wouldn't obsolete anything more advanced than Lunar IPS.

Ballz posted:

It's a shame that rhdn doesn't really have any competition because when it does go down it REALLY makes it harder to find things. If you do find your WIP thread I'd be interested in finishing it for you. Otherwise I might put something together myself, although it probably wouldn't be nearly so comprehensive.
Sure, I'll try to scrounge it up in the next few days and PM it over.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Looks like http://romhacking.net is back up fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I thought you guys were talking about the other RH and I was like wait who are you people

• Locked thread