Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Horizon requires literally zero grinding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Played the Nier demo, no experience with the franchise before. It's going on the to do list but, is the whole experience that scripted? Like do you actually get to stand toe-to-toe with a boss and straight up fight till it's dead or are you always whittling a false health bar to trigger the next event?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Played the Nier demo, no experience with the franchise before. It's going on the to do list but, is the whole experience that scripted? Like do you actually get to stand toe-to-toe with a boss and straight up fight till it's dead or are you always whittling a false health bar to trigger the next event?

There are cinematic bosses and regular bosses

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Linnaeus posted:

The character model reloading after every change makes it really annoying to compare stuff in the toukiden 2 demo :eng99:

I'm convinced it actually looks worse than the first one, on the other hand you can just walk out of the village into the world now so

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hot tip for Horizon: once you get the ability to shoot 2-3 arrows at a time, if you nock say 2 Hardpoint Arrows, then switch and nock 2 Tearblast arrows, the game will "remember" if you switch between them. This only works for one arrow type for each bow though, so you can't nock say 2 Hardpoint and 2 Blaze and have it keep. Still kinda handy to "prep" before you take on a big guy.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm convinced it actually looks worse than the first one, on the other hand you can just walk out of the village into the world now so

It does seem to have a little less detail than kiwami but not having loading screens feels sooooo good

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, I am not getting that either. If you do missions your health is just going to steadily increase and you can buy/earn every weapon in the game pretty easily.

@exploded: The medicinal plants are almost everywhere and you can carry potions as well. In general if you just click triangle when running from place to place you can just collect whatever is there and sell or dump the excess if you need room. You should never really be underpowered either, between abilities and different weapons nothing in the game is really that hard to kill. Late game Especially since you have infinite stamina, you should be avoiding 90% of the things hitting you with bloodborne pattened oh poo poo dodging. Late game enemies are just easier to kill by switching ammo types and using things like trip/ropecasters.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If crafting is really your bane then especially do not craft health potions, since fatty meat is a key ingredient in like half the carrying capacity upgrades.

By midgame I was swimming in metal shards that I could comfortably buy up health potions to top myself up without feeling pinched

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

So I just finished the final ending main ending of Nier Automata!

Definitely gonna come back to this game to get the Platinum because boy was that one of the most rewarding game experiences I've ever had, I don't know how sad that sounds but god drat Nier 2: The Extinctioning is fantastic!

Until then I got Zelda, Nioh, Horizon, and Dark Souls 3 The Ringed City to push through.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Trojan Kaiju posted:

So I just finished the final ending main ending of Nier Automata!

Definitely gonna come back to this game to get the Platinum because boy was that one of the most rewarding game experiences I've ever had, I don't know how sad that sounds but god drat Nier 2: The Extinctioning is fantastic!

Until then I got Zelda, Nioh, Horizon, and Dark Souls 3 The Ringed City to push through.

after ending c, you can straight up buy the trophies with the ingame currency in nier from the machine head girl in the resistance camp

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

after ending c, you can straight up buy the trophies for the ingame currency in nier from the machine head girl in the resistance camp

I don't want to do this but I'd legit have to replay the game for the rest of the trophies and I really want to be able to sacrifice myself

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

after ending c, you can straight up buy the trophies with the ingame currency in nier from the machine head girl in the resistance camp

I loved that fact. Thanks , Yoko Taro

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I don't want to do this but I'd legit have to replay the game for the rest of the trophies and I really want to be able to sacrifice myself

also after ending c, you unlock a chapter select. you don't have to play the game over from the beginning; just pick whatever chapter you need something from. save before you use it and you lose nothing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Manatee Cannon posted:

also after ending c, you unlock a chapter select. you don't have to play the game over from the beginning; just pick whatever chapter you need something from. save before you use it and you lose nothing

The issue is I can't die in the opening because I take 1 damage from everything now, so I would actually need to restart.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Arist posted:

The issue is I can't die in the opening because I take 1 damage from everything now, so I would actually need to restart.

doesn't the boss auto kill you if you don't run away from it when it bursts through the ground. also the very beginning starts with like level 60 stuff when you're still in the galaga stuff, so unless you ground for emil or something you could use them

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm really glad you can do this, I got my plat and didn't have to spend another 10+ hours doing fishing or other stuff.

I had already played 40+ hours, I mean, I love Nier and Automata but enough is enough and I was burnt out.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Linnaeus posted:

It does seem to have a little less detail than kiwami but not having loading screens feels sooooo good

Yeah, it's loving awesome!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

veni veni veni posted:

Horizon: Zero Grind

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Toukiden 2 seems solid but the Sickle & Chain was my jam in T1 and it feels a little..lacking now that everyone has the Demon Hand. S&C can still do the silly chain air hits stuff but it eats away at me regardless. Wonder if I can still use a support Mitama and cure statuses from a distance with the chain, I loved that.

Guess I should try the other weapons.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Sickle and Chain gets a lot of control now when you do the jump by holding square. It seems really solid still.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I'm trying my damnedest to get into nier, but the map is killing it for me. When do I unlock fast travel? Granted I just made it past the first boss and started getting a bunch of side quests.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tensai posted:

I'm trying my damnedest to get into nier, but the map is killing it for me. When do I unlock fast travel? Granted I just made it past the first boss and started getting a bunch of side quests.
Maybe 6 hours in? Soon after 9S says "jeez going back all the way we came is a pain".

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe 6 hours in? Soon after 9S says "jeez going back all the way we came is a pain".

Yeah, just don't do side quests until you get it, it's nuts.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arist posted:

You can also afaik do any of the side quests in any of the playthroughs so take your time on them.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The jankiness of ME:A really put me off, but now it kind of makes me want to play it even more. It can be fun to laugh at video games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Samurai Sanders posted:

You can also afaik do any of the side quests in any of the playthroughs so take your time on them.

Nah, there's some that are exclusive to certain playthroughs. Until you get the chapter select

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

el oso posted:

The jankiness of ME:A really put me off, but now it kind of makes me want to play it even more. It can be fun to laugh at video games.
I'd like to laugh at a game like that for a few hours maybe but I assume it's a 40+ hour long game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I did all the sidequests I could before getting it OOPS

Also I just finished Route B and I am pumped but also tired alas

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Regy Rusty posted:

I did all the sidequests I could before getting it OOPS

Also I just finished Route B and I am pumped but also tired alas

Route C is so good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

Route C is so good

Curse my non machine body and its need for somewhat reasonable amounts of sleep

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

Curse my non machine body and its need for somewhat reasonable amounts of sleep

You can save a lot of time by not sleeping. When your body DOES absolutely need sleep it'll just shut down on its own anyway, guaranteeing that you only waste the bare minimum of time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nier has such a slick interface, why is the Chip Customization menu so awful and annoying, my word

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

Nier has such a slick interface, why is the Chip Customization menu so awful and annoying, my word

It made it a bit easier when I realised the 'optimise' option at the bottom didn't change anything just shuffled them all next to each other so there's no wasted space.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Optimize should be called Defrag.

Nier has great action, story, and music, but I am not digging much else.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I picked up Batman: Arkham Knight about a week ago, since it's pretty cheap now.

I remember people not being too keen on it around the time it came out, though I think part of it was due to how bad the PC port was. The other big complaint was that it focused too heavily on the Batmobile. I can certainly agree with that, but for the most part, it rest of the game doesn't seem terrible; it feels sort of bloated compared to City.

Is it worth it to check out any of the DLC for it? I bought it new, so I got all the PS4 exclusive content, but I didn't know if was worth it to buy the season pass for everything, or just a couple of specific items.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Optimize should be called Defrag.

I said it before but seriously Automata is literally a cross between Journey and Hotline Miami

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feels a lot like a JRPG more than anything else to me.

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

Snak posted:

What else do you need exactly? :psyduck:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Tgent posted:

set pieces....? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Tgent posted:

*hears beartrap slamming shut*

*smiles*