Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What was the general idea on LeVeon Bell entering the draft? His combine numbers aren't anything special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

89 posted:

What was the general idea on LeVeon Bell entering the draft? His combine numbers aren't anything special.

Bell is way bigger than Cook but tested better than Cook in everything but the 40.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/le'veon-bell?id=2540175

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/dalvin-cook?id=2557991

Look at the difference in the cone and shuttle :stare:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

89 posted:

So Doltos is like our TFF Mayock

The next Redskins GM?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

Bell is way bigger than Cook but tested better than Cook in everything but the 40.

Yeah, but does the combine test patience and vision? :smug:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Doltos is really bad at scouting and predictions, but so is basically everyone and at least it fosters discussion.

Yep but only I'm allowed to say that so gently caress you

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ehud posted:

Makes sense. It's nearly impossible to tackle Bell if you're facing him, but he gets drug down from behind all the time

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I wrote a detailed post last year about why the Eagles should draft Goff instead of Wentz last year before the draft.

So, by these metrics, Eagles should go Balls Deep In McCaffrey.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ehud posted:

I think you guys are lending a little too much legitimacy to testing.

Let's say a guy runs a 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds. That means he's averaging about 8.9 yards a second. Let's say another guy runs a 40 in 4.7 seconds. That's 8.5 yards a second. That's about a foot difference. You may say, wow, that's a whole foot, but those types of small distances are made up for in a variety of ways. If a WR prospect running a 4.7 matches up against a CB prospect who's running a 4.5, those breadths of a second can easily be covered by the WR being quicker or more deliberate with where they want to go on the field. Same goes for vertical jump and broad jump, which admittedly do tell us a lot about a prospects acceleration, but don't necessarily correlate to on the field production.

This is kinda why I hate the combine. It's a bunch of measurable drills that aren't sports specific deciding the future of obviously talented kids. The biggest red flag about Dalvin Cook isn't his athleticism, which obviously should be considered elite if anyone watched Florida State this year, but his shoulder injuries which could legitimately tank him as a prospect.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can bench more than Christian mccaffrey and that means I am a better prospect

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

We need to see how bubbly your butt is.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ehud posted:

I'm gonna draft you in the Goon Draft.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ehud posted:

Yea, but what's your wonderlic?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

big money big clit posted:

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Hook em

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
print the

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Rotoworld, on Christian McCaffery posted:

McCaffrey impressed in both athletic testing and drills at the NFL Scouting Combine several weeks ago. He has seen a subsequent ascension in his draft stock. Indeed, McShay's mock actually has him jumping over FSU RB Dalvin Cook, whom the analyst pegs to the Redskins at No. 17. McShay believes that McCaffrey's "elite character" could serve as a tiebreaker for some teams when deciding between Cook and C-Mac.

NFL teams are kind of dumb aren't they

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

That's Todd mcshay, who just sells his opinion to the highest bidder.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Is "elite character" the new code word for white

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Pakled posted:

Is "elite character" the new code word for white

I think it's the opposite of "outlaw bloodlines"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Adun posted:

That means "looks white but isn't"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Adun posted:

If he had made that comparison to Mixon or someone with a record, it might make sense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
McShays an idiot and great character superlatives get applied to prospects regardless of race. loving Garrett Bolles is getting bad character red flags because he used to be a gang banger while Garrett's getting great character flags because he's super dedicated to football.

Stop trying to apply race to everything!!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Doltos posted:

McShays an idiot and great character superlatives get applied to prospects regardless of race. loving Garrett Bolles is getting bad character red flags because he used to be a gang banger while Garrett's getting great character flags because he's super dedicated to football.

you're not the boss of me

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Doltos posted:

I think you guys are lending a little too much legitimacy to testing.

Let's say a guy runs a 40 yard dash in 4.5 seconds. That means he's averaging about 8.9 yards a second. Let's say another guy runs a 40 in 4.7 seconds. That's 8.5 yards a second. That's about a foot difference. You may say, wow, that's a whole foot, but those types of small distances are made up for in a variety of ways. If a WR prospect running a 4.7 matches up against a CB prospect who's running a 4.5, those breadths of a second can easily be covered by the WR being quicker or more deliberate with where they want to go on the field. Same goes for vertical jump and broad jump, which admittedly do tell us a lot about a prospects acceleration, but don't necessarily correlate to on the field production.

This is kinda why I hate the combine. It's a bunch of measurable drills that aren't sports specific deciding the future of obviously talented kids. The biggest red flag about Dalvin Cook isn't his athleticism, which obviously should be considered elite if anyone watched Florida State this year, but his shoulder injuries which could legitimately tank him as a prospect.

I am curious if prospects wearing football pads would impact their testing times equally or not. Because that is the biggest issue I have with the combine. Some guys seem to have a greater dropoff athletically if they are wearing pads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doltos posted:

Unless he is consistently a problem (which he might be I dunno) him being a gang banger at one point isn't really relevant.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sataere posted:

I am curious if prospects wearing football pads would impact their testing times equally or not. Because that is the biggest issue I have with the combine. Some guys seem to have a greater dropoff athletically if they are wearing pads.

That's one of the bunch of issues I see.

1. Three cone doesn't measure agility applied to a football setting and is measured as a time total instead of just when players turn their hips fully to a new direction.
2. Bench press doesn't measure leverage strength which I believe is more important than straight arm strength that is showcased in WR/DB/Special teams blocking.
3. Too many people look at the 40 yard dash's end time instead of the 10 yard split.
4. Prospects should run drills way more than two times with do-overs. You're only looking at their first couple of attempts which only shows how well they perform completely fresh.
5. Training facilities offer draft combine training and every prospect goes to them. They train to perform well in the drills, not for in game situations.
6. Everyone has days where they don't perform as best as they can.

At the end of the day people want to say that NFL execs take everything into consideration but the research I've seen and done shows that great test scores = high selection. There are way too many mediocre college players being taken high for it to just be a coincidence.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Sataere posted:

Probably not as much as you'd think. McCaffrey is weak as poo poo but still ran amazingly fast in pads when he was on the field. If pads were that big of a gamechanger, his 40 would have to be much lower, imo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

If he had made that comparison to Mixon or someone with a record, it might make sense.

Cook's got some history doesn't he? I know the girl outside the bar thing where he 'hit her' turned out to be nothing but didn't he have some other stuff before that?

Nothing like Mixon of course.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Grittybeard posted:

Cook's got some history doesn't he? I know the girl outside the bar thing where he 'hit her' turned out to be nothing but didn't he have some other stuff before that?

Nothing like Mixon of course.

There was that, he was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for causing property damage with a broken gun, and was cited for cruelty to animals for having some puppies tied up outside too restrictively.

So nothing very egregious, but in comparison with the squeaky clean Stanford kid I guess they qualify as character issues?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

There was that, he was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for causing property damage with a broken gun, and was cited for cruelty to animals for having some puppies tied up outside too restrictively.

So nothing very egregious, but in comparison with the squeaky clean Stanford kid I guess they qualify as character issues?

I hope he goes undrafted :mad:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

He certainly doesn't have elite character though.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

What the gently caress even is elite character? Is he compelled to help every old lady he sees cross the street? If he passes a burning building does he always run in to save the family pet? Does his skin lack melanin? Does he volunteer for every church bake sale?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Could elite character be a detriment on the field? "Sorry coach, I could see he was having a rough day and he needed that tackle more than I needed those extra yards."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

zimbomonkey posted:

What the gently caress even is elite character? Is he compelled to help every old lady he sees cross the street? If he passes a burning building does he always run in to save the family pet? Does his skin lack melanin? Does he volunteer for every church bake sale?

Derek Carr would have been #1 overall if elite character actually mattered.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

zimbomonkey posted:

Those superlatives are mind numbing sometimes but they do matter. It's a work environment. I'd generally hire a dude who the rest of the team would respond favorably to than one the rest of the team wouldn't. His teammates might not care about his 'elite character' but crotchety old coaches and the owner/decision makers might.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

All anyone around the Texans could talk about last season was Osweiler's leadership ability and work ethic and character *makes fart noises*

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
No son of Ed McCaffrey has elite character.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
How does Nathan Peterman compare to someone like, say, Tom Savage?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Doltos posted:

Those superlatives are mind numbing sometimes but they do matter. It's a work environment. I'd generally hire a dude who the rest of the team would respond favorably to than one the rest of the team wouldn't. His teammates might not care about his 'elite character' but crotchety old coaches and the owner/decision makers might.

Ok I get that you want good character. That's obvious. The elite part is what my problem is. Either a guy is a good dude or he isn't. They just came up with a new way to make the white guy sound nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bigass Moth posted:

Derek Carr would have been #1 overall if his name was Derek Jones.

• Locked thread