Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

For players worried about losing chips it's not too bad once you get 30% item rate up you will be have way too many chips leftover. Also you will end up farming diamond chips at endgame since there's nothing else to do after you clear side quests/secret bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not much gets me misty eyed, but the clear NieR 1 nostalgia pandering parts of Automata got me. They're both wonderful games, even if NieR is more of a flawed gem than Automata is.

A few pages back but it reminded me of a question I have if anyone's played the JP version of the game. The Iron Pipe. The story is clearly a reference to Nier, specifically the father version. In Japan did they go with the brother version, or did they reference the father in that one too because it's the superior version?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

A few pages back but it reminded me of a question I have if anyone's played the JP version of the game. The Iron Pipe. The story is clearly a reference to Nier, specifically the father version. In Japan did they go with the brother version, or did they reference the father in that one too because it's the superior version?

another weapon references brother nier. I forget which tho

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

e: i think i figured it out.

Wow yeah even the menu runs faster lmbo. Game is running like a charm, thank you for the help.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Try windowed mode and see if it persists.
It sounds like the issue I had with Metal Gear Rising on PC, where it was tying frame-rate to an unnaturally low TV refresh rate which made the game speed feel like ~40% of what it should have been. (24hz so 24fps)
If it's not the same in windowed mode, consider using a borderless windowed tool.
If it's not that, it's possible that your PC just isn't good enough.

Cutscenes are fine because they're videos.

Tried windowed mode and it doesn't seem to do much. I checked out my computer on can you run it and it suggests a video card that's exactly the same as the one I have.

Tarezax posted:

If you're playing on something with integrated graphics make sure to force your computer to use your graphics card instead. Otherwise it might just be that your computer isn't very good, like mine. I get some pretty bad slowdown, especially in the city ruins, but get decent framerates in most places.

So how would I see if this is the problem? I saw an option under Screen options that looked like it might be related, but there was only one option and it didn't look like a video card.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 18, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nuebot posted:

Not sure, but there's two weapons later with similar stories and the last paragraph is the same except for father/brother daughter/sister.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

another weapon references brother nier. I forget which tho

Neato.

Alder posted:

For players worried about losing chips it's not too bad once you get 30% item rate up you will be have way too many chips leftover. Also you will end up farming diamond chips at endgame since there's nothing else to do after you clear side quests/secret bosses.

What's the deal with diamond chips anyway? Do they just cost less or what? I have a few but I'm hesitant to just fuse them up because if I can get more I might as well just fuse those together to min/max like a nerd.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's good to remember neither version of NieR is necessarily canon because Taroverse is full of alternate timeline tomfoolery

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Neato.

What's the deal with diamond chips anyway? Do they just cost less or what? I have a few but I'm hesitant to just fuse them up because if I can get more I might as well just fuse those together to min/max like a nerd.

They have reduced space reqs and you can lower reqs for normal chips. Typically I fused diamond + norm then repeat if I find more diamond chips.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

diamonds mean the chip has the lowest possible cost for its level. fusing two diamonds will guarantee the result has a diamond, but in some cases you can fuse a diamond with one that's just one cost point higher and still end up with a diamond as the result due to rounding. example: a +0 cost 4 (diamond) fused with a +0 cost 5 will give you a +1 cost 5 (diamond)

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Nuebot posted:

The Japanese version of the Iron Pipe's weapon story refers to Brother Nier specifically.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm currently just a bit past ending B and goddamn I just have no idea what the gently caress is going on. the bunker is gone. 2B is dead. Machines are eating everything. There's a huge fuckoff tower. I just wiped Pascal's memory after all of the friendly machines died. THIS SURE IS A YOKO TARO GAME.

General mood: second half of original NieR.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Boy oh boy do a wide range of sidequests open up after that hole does.

I wish these gave some indication of their difficulty level so I would stop getting murdered as a parade security guard. I'm having a rough time with the difficulty in this game in general, because Normal is far too easy and Hard is far too hard. I cannot even imagine what Very Hard is like.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Quicksaving is like, a real save, right? I can quit the game?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yeah

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Snak posted:

Quicksaving is like, a real save, right? I can quit the game?

Yeah. I'm not even really sure why it's a "quick" save, it's honestly if anything slower than the normal save, since you have to actually go to the terminal and open it's menu.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

Yeah. I'm not even really sure why it's a "quick" save, it's honestly if anything slower than the normal save, since you have to actually go to the terminal and open it's menu.

You just have to be near a terminal and you can​ save from your normal menu...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea you can quick save from the map screen so long as the game shows the saving available pop up

the save/load option in system is different. I guess it's just there so you can save over a different file

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How much farther away away am I from fast travel? I've been beelining main story quests so far Just beat the Goliath in the city, which was after the opera boss

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Tae posted:

How much farther away away am I from fast travel? I've been beelining main story quests so far Just beat the Goliath in the city, which was after the opera boss

About one bossfight and 10 minutes of playing

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Game is pretty fun, so far. Is there a downside to repairing instead of reclaiming your corpse?

Gameplay is great. Areas look like a ps2 remaster. Rough coming from Horizon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I assume you don't get your stuff back if you repair your corpse since you don't get anything for making other player bodies into helpers

the helpers are trash anyway so you should always just take the extra cash if you're gonna bother at all imo

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Man, it really sucks losing progress in this game because of a crash - on my PS4 pro. It was after finishing up the death cult in the factory, and the rebellion camp gets eaten You have to do a bunch of stuff there, including a boss fight, and there isn't an obvious indicator that you need to SAVE, SAVE NOW. Anyway, apparently there's a recurring crash past that part (seems to be a common problem online) so I now get to go back and fight the previous boss and do a bunch of stuff over again.

Like, I don't find lovely save systems quirky or fun. Just use some autosaving, it's a huge quality of life feature in modern games. Or just make sure your poo poo is iron clad and doesn't crash I guess.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Does Evade Range+ affect the number of iframes or just the distance you move?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I assume you don't get your stuff back if you repair your corpse since you don't get anything for making other player bodies into helpers

the helpers are trash anyway so you should always just take the extra cash if you're gonna bother at all imo

That's what I assumed, but when I repaired it asked me if I wanted to reequip my chips. So you get chips back and not consumables?

For a game that, on the screen where I have already hit the "email button" will make a popup telling me that I can check my email by hitting the "read email" button, the actual game mechanics aren't really tutorialized at all...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Papercut posted:

Does Evade Range+ affect the number of iframes or just the distance you move?

I think it's just distance.

The spears that refer to both brother and father Nier are the Virtuous and Cruel ones.

Pretty sure Repair is just incase you want some help, but I believe they can be corrupt and fight you too. I don't have partner AI on so I never repair, so it has never happened for me.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I decided to repair one in a lategame arena and boy was I surprised when it decided to attack me.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Be sure to read the death messages.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm sorry, how come there is no auto saving? I have died twice now to either the first goliath or the double buzzsaws. This wouldn't annoy me if it didn't mean going ALL the way back to the beginning of the game!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
To help you pick the correct difficulty.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they have a weird dark souls bonfire save system in place after the prologue. turn the difficulty down from w/e it currently is if you're having trouble with it; you'll be able to save once you're past that area

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Will I be able to put the difficulty back up once i'm past it?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can change difficulty at any time, even right as attacks are flying toward you

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea. there aren't any rewards, trophies, steam achievements, w/e for difficulty so don't worry about changing it on the fly

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Will I be able to put the difficulty back up once i'm past it?

:shepface: Yes. But, uh. Why?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Should I sell things like Silver Ore, or do I need it for crafting or something?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

silver ore is for crafting. the things that are only for selling will be labeled as such

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So if it says "Can be exchanged for money." it's safe to sell?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yes

tho some stuff sells for more later. like machine cores you might wanna hold on to if you don't need the money right now since they'll sell for more than twice as much in the endgame

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cephas posted:

I like 2B. Just remember, if you see any art of her that would make for a nice avatar please share it with me.

I don't actually know if they'd make good avatars, but i like 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Nuebot posted:

:shepface: Yes. But, uh. Why?

I don't mind this game being hard, but it's bullshit that if I die in the first area I have to restart the game completley, not from the boss I died to. I don't wanna put on the training wheels if I can't take them off later.