Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Am I missing the irony somewhere?

The funny thing being that being the turret gunner was one of the most dangerous jobs in the Air Forces everywhere. Usually there was little to no protection, and not enough space to operate the gun with a parachute on your back. Any meaningful amount of damage to your turret dome and out you went.

No idea why dying of natural causes and being stung by the penny pinching family/landlord would be ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maybe because the ballgun was the poo poo position because you had to curl up in a cramped spot, like how his body was found.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe because the ballgun was the poo poo position because you had to curl up in a cramped spot, like how his body was found.

Think thats more poetic than ironic. And he didn't die in the suitcase. Eh, whatever. Still a strange headline!

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

when he died they washed him out with a hose

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

china bot posted:

when he died they washed him out with a hose

:vince: and also I am disappointed you beat me to it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The whole poem is five lines long. :justpost:

quote:

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

quote:

A ball turret was a Plexiglas sphere set into the belly of a B-17 or B-24, and inhabited by two .50 caliber machine guns and one man, a short small man. When this gunner tracked with his machine guns a fighter attacking his bomber from below, he revolved with the turret; hunched upside-down in his little sphere, he looked like the fetus in the womb. The fighters which attacked him were armed with cannon firing explosive shells. The hose was a steam hose.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Lol Winnipeg :canada:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is Winnipeg the Florida of Canada? All I know of it I learned from songs about Winnipeg being terrible.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

rodbeard posted:

Is Winnipeg the Florida of Canada? All I know of it I learned from songs about Winnipeg being terrible.

Only Winnipeg songs I can think of come from Venetian Snares but with titles such as Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole and Die Winnipeg Die Die Die Fuckers Die your theory holds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrD-OYuEkyY

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rodbeard posted:

Nah, it's probably not as bad as Florida. Also it's a frozen hellhole so has a very different vibe than florida. More like minnesota, really.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bogan King posted:

Only Winnipeg songs I can think of come from Venetian Snares but with titles such as Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole and Die Winnipeg Die Die Die Fuckers Die your theory holds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrD-OYuEkyY

:respek:

Also the Jets will and always will suck.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
There's also the Weakerthans' I Hate Winnipeg. It's the violent crime capital of Canada! :canada:

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

rodbeard posted:

I hereby nominate Hamilton, Ontario as the Florida of Canada. It is a disgusting shithole filled with stupid, sketchy degenerates.

Semi-relevent content:

"Grenade brought to downtown Hamilton police station for disposal"

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Cross-post from the macros thread.

:eyepop:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

genetic_knockout posted:

I hereby nominate Hamilton, Ontario as the Florida of Canada. It is a disgusting shithole filled with stupid, sketchy degenerates.

Semi-relevent content:

"Grenade brought to downtown Hamilton police station for disposal"

Go back to Toronto

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

RandomFerret posted:

Go back to Toronto

Lol I wish

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/staAh8n.mp4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ojvk-4IcOE

It's funnier with sound

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Unsurprisingly, most of the comments are humorless wieners complaining about feminism.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

davidspackage posted:

Unsurprisingly, most of the comments are humorless wieners complaining about feminism.

yea i noticed

now that you mention it i used to have the filter thingie that just turned all internet comments into hurr durr burr, i wonder where it went

cnut
May 3, 2016

Come on, people, it's just that simple!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I refuse to believe that's not satire.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

cnut posted:

Come on, people, it's just that simple!

Bill Gates' mother helped him out, too.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Sakurazuka posted:

I refuse to believe that's not satire.

Here's the original article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-ebony-horton-paid-off-220000-worth-of-student-loans-in-3-years-2017-3

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Powaqoatse posted:

It's funnier with sound
I disagree. I thought it was funnier when I imagined that the interview was just going on with no acknowledgement of the distractions at all.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Khazar-khum posted:

Bill Gates' mother helped him out, too.

Thoreau worked out of the home.

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Lack of Oxford Comma Could Cost Maine Company Millions in Overtime Dispute

the article posted:

What ensued in the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, and in a 29-page court decision handed down on Monday, was an exercise in high-stakes grammar pedantry that could cost a dairy company in Portland, Me., an estimated $10 million.

In 2014, three truck drivers sued Oakhurst Dairy, seeking more than four years’ worth of overtime pay that they had been denied. Maine law requires workers to be paid 1.5 times their normal rate for each hour worked after 40 hours, but it carves out some exemptions.

the article posted:

Note the lack of Oxford comma — also known as the serial comma — in the following state law, which says overtime rules do not apply to:

The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of:

(1) Agricultural produce;

(2) Meat and fish products; and

(3) Perishable foods.

Does the law intend to exempt the distribution of the three categories that follow, or does it mean to exempt packing for the shipping or distribution of them?

Delivery drivers distribute perishable foods, but they don’t pack the boxes themselves. Whether the drivers were subject to a law that had denied them thousands of dollars a year depended entirely on how the sentence was read.

If there were a comma after “shipment,” it might have been clear that the law exempted the distribution of perishable foods. But the appeals court on Monday sided with the drivers, saying the absence of a comma produced enough uncertainty to rule in their favor. It reversed a lower court decision.

In other words: Oxford comma defenders won this round.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/juliagalef/status/842886412462514176

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Except the sentence would still be awkward and difficult to parse even with the extra comma?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It'd make perfect sense. Right now it's (packing for shipment or distribution); with a comma it would be (packing for shipment) (or distribution). Two separate ideas, with packing for shipment being one job and distribution being another.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Tiggum posted:

Except the sentence would still be awkward and difficult to parse even with the extra comma?

Of course it would still be awkward, it's a contract. Grace and fluidity aren't the goal. But if you read the article it's a clear difference from a legal standpoint.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I was going to say that treating “packing for shipment or distribution of” as a single task is nonsensical because “shipment” and “distribution” are nearly synonyms in this context, but that isn’t quite true.

It’s possible to ship something without distributing it, like if you make components of your widget in Factory A and ship to Factory B for final assembly.

People who crated the component for its journey from A to B would be involved in packaging for shipment, but not in packaging for distribution.

Vice versa is also possible, but a little contrived. As I see it, you’d have to have customers come to your facility. Local pickup only; cash & carry.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The important part is that with the Oxford Comma, people who pack the boxes and the people who actually drive the trucks are both denied overtime (they are both separate entities in the group that gets denied overtime). Without the comma, it says that only the people who pack the boxes are denied overtime and thus the truck drivers who don't pack anything are entitled to it.

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Suck it Oxford Comma-deniers! Your reign of ambiguity is over. In victory, I offer sandwiches: ham, tuna salad, banana and peanut butter and jelly. Which sandwich has peanut butter in it?

Edit: haha, my grammar is appropriately terrible

Ape Agitator has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Mar 19, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ape Agitator posted:

Suck it Oxford Comma-deniers! Your reign of ambiguity is over. In victory, I offer sandwiches: ham, tuna salad, banana and peanut butter and jelly. Which sandwich has peanut butter in it?
Each of the ham, tuna salad, banana and peanut butter and jelly ones.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ape Agitator posted:

The one that was made for the strippers, JFK, and Stalin!

schadenfraud
Nov 19, 2010
(disgraced?) ex Labour prime minister thinks Tory ex-chancellor and sitting MP for a northern constituency is going to make a great editor of the London Evening Standard.

The whole scenario is a fuckup. Source: https://www.ft.com/content/c86bb3de-0c94-11e7-b030-768954394623

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had cut out a headline that said,
"Vandals Attack Boring Farm"

But I think I lost it. Boring, Oregon. The most aptly named town in the country.