Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't mind this game being hard, but it's bullshit that if I die in the first area I have to restart the game completley, not from the boss I died to. I don't wanna put on the training wheels if I can't take them off later.

Weirdly it checkpoints you later.

Like, it's certainly bad design but it gets better design later and I'm not sure why it wasn't set up that way in the first place. Maybe something to do with it being the demo zone? Seems lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this gets asked every page, but on weapon descriptions, does the combo line (like "Lt 4 Hv 2") just indicate the length of the combo in that slot?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yeah, light combo and heavy combo

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Just finished Route B. Gonna get stuck into C and D tomorrow.

I got to move around during B end credits. When I finished route A, I left the controller down to get some food during the credits and come back to the menu screen. Did I miss anything important in route As credits?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

yeah, light combo and heavy combo

So, are there combos like light->heavy->light or light->light->heavy in this game?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea you can do that

or at the very least you can do really simple light-heavy and heavy-light combos

tho really this is something you could test by pressing 2 buttons so just do that

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Snak posted:

So, are there combos like light->heavy->light or light->light->heavy in this game?

I'm pretty sure heavy always ends the chain, but doing lights into a heavy is a different attack, yea.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well there seem to be a lot of complicated behaviors, so that's why I asked.

For example, with some weapons, you.can chain a charge attack onto the end of a combo if you hold the button after the final combo press. With other weapons, the charge attack replaces the final piece of the combo.

I'm really bad at executing combos, so just because I can't do them doesn't mean they aren't in the game.

And also it's tricky for me to parse because sometimes a single button press triggers like 4 attacks.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 19, 2017

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Gamerofthegame posted:

Weirdly it checkpoints you later.

Like, it's certainly bad design but it gets better design later and I'm not sure why it wasn't set up that way in the first place. Maybe something to do with it being the demo zone? Seems lazy.

It's because Yoko Taro has to put a little gently caress You into every game.

Obviously not an oversight because when you start the game up, there's literally a pop up telling you the game does not auto save and that you need to play further to learn how to save.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

It seems a little unnecessary that I spent the entire cutscene for Ending A with 2B's dress clipping up over her waste and her panties on display for all the high drama.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not it was intentional.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think there's no autosaves so that you aren't punished too hard to fighting a boss you can't kill. If you fail too many times and delevel you can just load your previous save.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

tap my mountain posted:

I think there's no autosaves so that you aren't punished too hard to fighting a boss you can't kill. If you fail too many times and delevel you can just load your previous save.

There are games that have both auto saves and manual saves

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

VanillaGorilla posted:

It seems a little unnecessary that I spent the entire cutscene for Ending A with 2B's dress clipping up over her waste and her panties on display for all the high drama.

The bottom of her dress I'm going to assume was actually blown off in an explosion. If you ever use 2B's Self-Destruct mechanic, it leaves you at 1HP and with the same destroyed outfit she has in that scene.

tap my mountain posted:

It's also to prevent you from totally loving yourself over on higher difficulties by losing all your chips from dying and not being able to recover them. Fun fact about that actually, in the final fight of Route A/B, you can't actually recover your chips after you reach a certain point (not for any plot reason, the game just wont let you), so any death at all will cause you to permanently lose your chips. So yeah, that would be a load if you lost your good chips on a VH run.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

VanillaGorilla posted:

it was ripped from you know explosions and stuff

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

lets hang out posted:

it was ripped from you know explosions and stuff

Of course, localized groin explosions, it makes total sense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Keep in mind that this game's core, overarching theme is the interplay between sex, violence, and love. What had 2B just finished doing? Or, rather, what did it look like she was doing?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Vermain posted:

Keep in mind that this game's core, overarching theme is the interplay between sex, violence, and love. What had 2B just finished doing? Or, rather, what did it look like she was doing?

Killing Eve, who was a giant trash robot monster . Trust me, there was no intimation of some deep thought around sex happening. Maybe I'm just too much of a plebeian to see Yoko Taro's grand vision there.

Normally I don't really care all that much about this kind of thing, but it just seems egregious in this game, clashes with everything around it, and it's not really imparting some deeper meaning to me yet - at least not one that the game feels important enough to make explicit.

I dunno. The oversexualization of 2B is like one of a laundry list of things that keeps pushing me back from this game. I really want to like it, and see the genius in it that everyone else does, but I'm kind of struggling with it. We'll see if Path B grabs me better than A did.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Snak posted:

Well there seem to be a lot of complicated behaviors, so that's why I asked.

For example, with some weapons, you.can chain a charge attack onto the end of a combo if you hold the button after the final combo press. With other weapons, the charge attack replaces the final piece of the combo.

I'm really bad at executing combos, so just because I can't do them doesn't mean they aren't in the game.

And also it's tricky for me to parse because sometimes a single button press triggers like 4 attacks.

If you go in with dmc/mgr experience, this game will at first trip you up. It is actually much simpler than both and flows really well.

Mgr: amount of light/heavy attacks, in exact patterns, does a lot of the combo work.
Dmc: increasing/shortening the timing in between attacks creates a lot of the combo's

Neither of these things really exist in automata. You tap either light attack or heavy attack for the amount of times allowed according to the max combo listed for the weapon. Besides that, holding down light and heavy(seperately) do different things per weapon type. For light weapons it is usually a quick fancy move, for heavy it is often a charge up attack. If it is a charge up, you can decide to let go before maxing it to do a move that is completely different from the max charge.

Getting a bit more fancy, you can flow from light to heavy attacks in any moment during the combo, but never from heavy to light. What the flow over is depends on the combination you're wielding.

Besides that, dodge+light/heavy will often do something and heavy attack + full sprint is usually a separate move on its own. Add in jump+attack for your launcher and that covers most of your melee. Sounds like a lot when you type it out but it comes together really nicely.

e:

tap my mountain posted:

There are no autosaves because gamers complained about outdated save systems so he(yoko) intentionally made it this way to spite them. No really, that is it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Trust me, there was no intimation of some deep thought around sex happening.

No, no: when she's strangling 9S to death in a pose that's clearly suggestive of loving. There's about five or ten different ways I can think of off the top of my head to film a scene of someone being strangled to death, and you only choose that specific one if you're being suggestive to the audience. The fact that all of the YoRHa androids are total babes/studs is no accident, nor is the fact that they're all highly adept at killing while also being total babes/studs.

It's deliberate commentary on the relationship between love, sex, and violence, especially the latter two. I can get into more detail if you really want, but consider this (ending B spoilers): When 9S is being taunted by Adam, he has the line, "You're thinking about how you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" Most people are immediately going to think of "gently caress," but this is a game that already has swears in it; why the censorship? In the context of all his talk about "hate" before, can you think of another four letter word that could fit in there?

Vermain fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 19, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Be sure to read the death messages.

Oh hey i just found this guy in the streets, too.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If anyone's else is trying to clear the bosses on Very Hard, it turns out that a bunch of them are kind of on rails and don't really need to be interacted with for stretches of the fight.

For example, for the opera boss, Simone: The damage you deal in the first half is pointless. If you attack her, you will stop dealing damage at 50%, but she'll still run through her full (literal) song and dance. If you don't attack her, she will still be at 50% health for the final phase anyway. As a result, you only need to avoid taking damage and it turns out most of her attacks have safe dead zones. Stand at the back center of the arena and grab a sandwich for most of it, then run in next to the hem of her skirt for the ring slams. The only attacks that need to be actively dodged are the missiles and the spinning lasers, which are easy to avoid from the distance of the back wall. The order and duration of the attacks are also scripted, so you'll always know when they are coming.

Take out the crucified androids when they appear, but you shouldn't bother attacking Simone until she's in her final robotic form. At that point she only has some easy to avoid heavily telegraphed attacks, mostly consisting of a forward lunge.

Adam and Eve are even more scripted. They don't need to be attacked at all. If you manage to do more damage than their life bar, it just loops back to 100% and the fight ends at the exact same second as when you did no damage at all. So just jump and spam dodge for the whole fight, don't attack.

Eve solo is similar, although I haven't figured out at what phase his damage taken starts to matter. It might be the very end, or he might have needed some damage to knock him into the final phase. You can for sure just stand under his platform when you makes the rocks rise and wait that out. Pet your pod a few times or something.

Engel's fight will also proceed through his phases on a timer, but his damage taken persists accurately through the fight. You're just limited in how much damage you can deal in each phase (Not sure why they didn't do Simone that way).

Adam solo adheres to normal boss damage logic in both encounters, where doing the necessary damage knocks him into the next phase immediately. Dunno why he's different?

A2 and Ro-Shi don't really have phases, aside from Ro-Shi's fighting in the dark deal, which is on a timer. As such they're fought like normal bosses in any game.

I'll have to grind through Route B again before I can test the Route C bosses. I would guess Hegel at the least similarly scripted, though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Vermain posted:

It's deliberate commentary on the relationship between love, sex, and violence, especially the latter two. I can get into more detail if you really want, but consider this (ending B spoilers): When 9S is being taunted by Adam, he has the line, "You're thinking about how you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" Most people are immediately going to think of "gently caress," but this is a game that already has swears in it; why the censorship? In the context of all his talk about "hate" before, can you think of another four letter word that could fit in there?

hi-5

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The camera is the hardest thing about this boss. I take most of my damage when I'm off the screen. Go figure.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Vermain posted:

No, no: when she's strangling 9S to death in a pose that's clearly suggestive of loving. There's about five or ten different ways I can think of off the top of my head to film a scene of someone being strangled to death, and you only choose that specific one if you're being suggestive to the audience. The fact that all of the YoRHa androids are total babes/studs is no accident, nor is the fact that they're all highly adept at killing while also being total babes/studs.

This is absurdly right. I love Taro Yoko.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

[spoiler]Adam solo[spoiler] adheres to normal boss damage logic in both encounters, where doing the necessary damage knocks him into the next phase immediately. Dunno why he's different?

I definitely got him to loop around back to full health on a few phases (even levelled!) when replaying the fight at high level. He does seem to have to go through his spiel to some degree.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mazerunner posted:

I definitely got him to loop around back to full health on a few phases (even leveled!) when replaying the fight at high level. He does seem to have to go through his spiel to some degree.

Ah, so he's at least somewhat scripted too? Question is if it's the Hegel or Simone variety then. I can accept the Hegel variety is necessary for the style of narrative delivery they wanted to do, but the Simone style makes me feel like I'm the kid at the arcade with no quarters for most of the fight, just bashing buttons and pretending I'm playing. Kind of the CoD approach to impressive spectacle that's actually minimally interactive, but for a boss fight.

Vermain posted:

Yeah, Route C makes the thematic intent really clear. The strength of the narrative is that even though it's about androids and robots and crazy scenarios, the underlying motives and themes are all relatable and compelling. And whether or not you consciously get it, I think you still "get it." You recognize the elements of relationships that the 2E twist is abstracting.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 19, 2017

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I'm almost at 80% quest completion and most of my weapons (66% total) are max level. I'm not done with my second playthrough yet. I don't think I'm playing this game right.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Man, it really sucks losing progress in this game because of a crash - on my PS4 pro. It was after finishing up the death cult in the factory, and the rebellion camp gets eaten You have to do a bunch of stuff there, including a boss fight, and there isn't an obvious indicator that you need to SAVE, SAVE NOW. Anyway, apparently there's a recurring crash past that part (seems to be a common problem online) so I now get to go back and fight the previous boss and do a bunch of stuff over again.

Like, I don't find lovely save systems quirky or fun. Just use some autosaving, it's a huge quality of life feature in modern games. Or just make sure your poo poo is iron clad and doesn't crash I guess.

For this comment, Yoko Taro will now refuse to include autosave into his next four games, just as he refused to include autosave into Automata because of complaints about it in Nier.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I hope no one complains about the twin stick shooter parts lest his next game be nothing but that. Goddamn was that poo poo overused.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope no one complains about the twin stick shooter parts lest his next game be nothing but that. Goddamn was that poo poo overused.

How can you write this post and not see your fatal error here

unless... reverse psychology?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Shmup is Yoko Taro's favorite genre... we'll be lucky if Nier 3 has any parts that aren't shmup.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Speed Star pro-tips:

Thanks for that, on the successful run I destroyed him.

Of course it also helped when I actually went the right way rather than my idiot route that would never work.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Not including autosaves as an anti quality of life thing owns, but it also has the side effect of making your saves feel more important.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I love the shmup parts.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Papercut posted:

I love the shmup parts.

Same. The fight against the big sea monster was a joy to play.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Given its prominence, I wish it had been developed a bit more. But if they'd made the patterns any more complex it'd turn a lot of people off. People have complained about segments of it being too hard as is.

There could have been more hacking variety, though. 50 variations may sound like a lot, but it's actually only 5 basic setups with 10 slightly different bullet patterns per setup. It gets a bit repetitive.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I barely play video games anymore save for a select few titles (I basically bought a PS4 just for Automata) so all the grief about autosaving confuses me. The intro is pretty short and easy to breeze through... I was playing on normal, though.

Also I'm trying to catch all the fish, I'm up to 87% with only 5 left to catch (Arapaima, Beetle Fish, Swordfish Machine, Coelacanth Machine and Arowana Machine) and it's a total slog. Does anyone have any useful tips for nabbing them or do I just have to suck it up and grind?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nier 3 should take things a step further and go from shmup in plane form to zone of the enders mech combat in biped form

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

There could have been more hacking variety, though. 50 variations may sound like a lot, but it's actually only 5 basic setups with 10 slightly different bullet patterns per setup. It gets a bit repetitive.

I agree. Route B has so far been my least favorite of the routes, given that 9S has all the durability of a wet sack of paper and hacking is unquestionably a better damage-dealing option. It might just be my controller, but the aiming stick feels awkward as hell and I can never consistently get it to point where I want it to. I shamefully admit to cranking it down to Easy from Hard when I hit A2 in the Forest because of how she kept one-hit killing me and how maddening doing the same hacking patterns over and over was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Vermain posted:

I agree. Route B has so far been my least favorite of the routes, given that 9S has all the durability of a wet sack of paper and hacking is unquestionably a better damage-dealing option. It might just be my controller, but the aiming stick feels awkward as hell and I can never consistently get it to point where I want it to. I shamefully admit to cranking it down to Easy from Hard when I hit A2 in the Forest because of how she kept one-hit killing me and how maddening doing the same hacking patterns over and over was.

Equip spear, throw spear. I only hacked on 9S against enemies with large HP pools, against everything else throwing spears was 1000 times more efficient. It also stunlocks whatever you're throwing at.