Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the Anker plug in charger with the single USB C port and multiple A ports is on the spreadsheet and listed as recommended. Only glitch in it relates to Apple charging under certain circumstances and it's not dangerous or anything, just slow.

I have one myself. Works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I have one of the Anker multiport chargers as well. Works great. Been my primary charger for months.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I also have one of the Anker charges. The USB-C port stopped working randomly after 9 months but their support shipped me a new one, didn't even require me to send the broken one back. With the state of USB-C that's probably as good as it gets.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bleh, this USB-C stuff sucks.

I've got a hugeass battery pack that has USB-C input. I'm looking for a compact USB-C AC adapter to charge it with. Any suggestions?

I haven't followed the details of this poo poo enough to know what I'm looking for.

This isn't really Android-specific, sorry mods!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel OEM charger. A little expensive, but fully within spec and comes with a really good C cable as well.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there a way to use Project Fi as normal phone network only, and disable the poo poo where it routes your calls through wifi. In my experience the wifi: incoming calls start ringing ~10seconds late(goes to voicemail after one ring), no one on the other end can hear you when you make an outgoing call, and your calls get dropped constantly. Basically its really loving bad and makes my phone unusable.

e: I mean, aside from leaving Wifi functionality off all the time.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 18, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

peepsalot posted:

Is there a way to use Project Fi as normal phone network only, and disable the poo poo where it routes your calls through wifi. In my experience the wifi: incoming calls start ringing ~10seconds late(goes to voicemail after one ring), no one on the other end can hear you when you make an outgoing call, and your calls get dropped constantly. Basically its really loving bad and makes my phone unusable.

e: I mean, aside from leaving Wifi functionality off all the time.

there's a "use wifi calling" option in the dialer I believe.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

FAUXTON posted:

there's a "use wifi calling" option in the dialer I believe.

Ah thanks, I found it and disabled it. Do you know if that affects incoming calls also, or outgoing only?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

peepsalot posted:

Ah thanks, I found it and disabled it. Do you know if that affects incoming calls also, or outgoing only?

No idea to be honest but I would hope it does it for both lol

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

bull3964 posted:

Pixel OEM charger. A little expensive, but fully within spec and comes with a really good C cable as well.

I've already had a google usb c cord die :(

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
E/N:

I'm preparing last rites on my Nexus 4 after over four faithful years.

My original aim was to try and stretch using it for a minimum five years, and given that the current generation Pixel doesn't support AWS-3 Band 66, (Freedom Mobile's LTE), I really wanted to wait out until the next generation.

What ultimately did the N4 in was the garbled USB port - I can grit my teeth through poo poo battery life, but when I've fiddled with the angle of the charge port for a minute to ensure a steady charge, only to check back ten minutes later to find it flickering between charge/non-charge with even less battery life than before, I'm close to snapping the phone.

My Axon 7 order arrived the night the Nexus 4 finally stopped taking charges by USB entirely. I narrowly missed having the chance to back up the SMS history off the N4, and the saving grace of wireless charging, which I had never used until today, made it possible for me to power it again and back up on wifi before I put down the phone for good.

I still really love the feel of the N4, and aside from the IMEI label being all scratched up, it still looks fresh. As my first smartphone, it will be missed.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

M. Propagandalf posted:

E/N:

What ultimately did the N4 in was the garbled USB port

This is what happened to my gnex and my s3. I hope USB C ports prove to be more durable than micro USB. I just got a OP 3T as a gift from a well to do friend and I'm so glad to be out of micro USB hell.

Of course the gnex always had poo poo battery life and I was more than happy to get rid of it. I bought a aftermarket 3600mah battery (stock was like 1600mah IIRC) and it still barely made it through the day.

I think I've only seen two people irl using a Nexus 4. I feel like it was the least popular nexus phone for some reason.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

M. Propagandalf posted:

E/N:

My original aim was to try and stretch using it for a minimum five years, and given that the current generation Pixel doesn't support AWS-3 Band 66, (Freedom Mobile's LTE), I really wanted to wait out until the next generation.

What ultimately did the N4 in was the garbled USB port - I can grit my teeth through poo poo battery life, but when I've fiddled with the angle of the charge port for a minute to ensure a steady charge, only to check back ten minutes later to find it flickering between charge/non-charge with even less battery life than before, I'm close to snapping the phone.

My Axon 7 order arrived the night the Nexus 4 finally stopped taking charges by USB entirely. I narrowly missed having the chance to back up the SMS history off the N4, and the saving grace of wireless charging, which I had never used until today, made it possible for me to power it again and back up on wifi before I put down the phone for good.

I still really love the feel of the N4, and aside from the IMEI label being all scratched up, it still looks fresh. As my first smartphone, it will be missed.

Replacing the USB board and battery takes like ten minutes and no effort on the Nexus 4. Shouldn't cost more than $20 either.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I've got a Belk in USC-C to A cable and an Anker one as well. I also have the turbocharger that came with the moto z play. Over time, both CA cables have gotten much looser, with the turbocharger holding up the best (still looser than originally). Will need to get a new cable to see if it's my phone that get looser over time as well, but can definitely say the A-C cables do in fact get looser over time

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

64bit_Dophins posted:

I hope USB C ports prove to be more durable than micro USB.

I have my second Pixel XL replacement on the way. The first time was for the screen flicker issue. This time the screen flicker is back, but my charging port doesn't hold on to the charging cable anymore. I hope this second one was a fluke because I expected this phone to last a few years at least. About to be on the third one since November doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Uncle Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 18, 2017

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah it's both. Weird, it works perfectly on my 6P, the only reason I can get calls either at work or home. I'm not on Fi though, just normal WiFi calling.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Uncle Lizard posted:

I have my second Pixel XL replacement on the way. The first time was for the screen flicker issue. This time the screen flicker is back, but my charging port doesn't hold on to the charging cable anymore. I hope this second one was a fluke because I expected this phone to last a few years at least. About to be on the third one since November doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Must have been a bad batch from the connector OEM. I have to put a pretty non-trivial amount of pull force to get mine to even budge.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My 5x went bad on the USB C port. It only did Charging Rapidly when the cable was plugged in a certain way. If you flipped the cable, it would just charge at medium speed. I thought it was the cable, but after buying a new one and trying another, it was definitely the phone. But the build quality on the 5x was so bad otherwise.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Sometimes the display of my 6P refuses to timeout. Receive a notification? I better be around or the display will never turn off. Restarting fixes the issue but, sooner or later, it comes back. Any ideas?

I already have random wakelocks eating a fifth of my battery and an insane gamma at low brightness turning multiple colors solid black... and now I have to restart my phone once or twice a day to fix the display. Coming from a custom rom'd G3, I was not expecting having to deal with poo poo like this when I purchased this high-end, google-approved phone.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'd factory reset because that's a lot of problems

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Blue Train posted:

I'd factory reset because that's a lot of problems

Wakelocks (Android System and OS as top battery consumers) are a common issue that resetting, unfortunately, doesn't seem to fix.

The high gamma is "working as intended" and only fixable with a custom kernel, as far as I know - which is the kind of thing I was looking to avoid when I bought a Nexus. Adaptive Brightness is part of it, somehow: without AB, colors are preserved but minimum brightness is too high for comfort; with AB, minimum brightness is excellent but some colors are messed up.

The timeout thing, I have no idea.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

M. Propagandalf posted:

E/N:

Though a Axon 7 is a huge step up, replacing the battery and the Charging Assembly in the Nexus 4 is trivial vs most modern day devices.

Hell it would be this easy for my Tegra Note if they would just sell that stupid circuit board the crap microusb port is soldered too, alas there are none.

Though that leads to the same option as well, even if you can't get replacement charging parts, there is always making it wireless charging capable with a little soldering.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

AlexDeGruven posted:

Must have been a bad batch from the connector OEM. I have to put a pretty non-trivial amount of pull force to get mine to even budge.

It was nice and clicky at first, but just last week my charging cable started to just fall out. The screen flicker issue was on both Pixels. Let's hope they get it right this time.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Do yourselves a favor and buy one of the magnetic microusb plugs, stick it in there and never worry about the port messing up again

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FogHelmut posted:

My 5x went bad on the USB C port. It only did Charging Rapidly when the cable was plugged in a certain way. If you flipped the cable, it would just charge at medium speed. I thought it was the cable, but after buying a new one and trying another, it was definitely the phone. But the build quality on the 5x was so bad otherwise.

Mine is doing pretty much this. I have one good cable that seems to work better than the others.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And this is why, as much as I love the new quick charging technologies, I lust to have my wireless charging back.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend is looking for a new phone and wants some advice but I haven't payed attention since I got my N6P. I think the Huawei Nova plus looks reasonable and in a good price range but the most important thing is that it will keep getting updates, is Huawei good about that?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If updates are the most important thing then get a Pixel or iPhone, otherwise list your budget and someone will give a good recommendation for one of the cheaper ones.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

DemonMage posted:

If updates are the most important thing then get a Pixel or iPhone, otherwise list your budget and someone will give a good recommendation for one of the cheaper ones.

She can afford a pixel but doesn't need a phone that expensive. She'd prefer a phone that would be supported for the length of the contract (so around 2 years).

$400 seems like a good price point but there's flexibility.

It doesn't need to be the first phone to get updates as long as it's not being abandoned.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Adenoid Dan posted:

My girlfriend is looking for a new phone and wants some advice but I haven't payed attention since I got my N6P. I think the Huawei Nova plus looks reasonable and in a good price range but the most important thing is that it will keep getting updates, is Huawei good about that?
First I've heard of the Nova, are you outside the US? I think the go-to phones at $400 are the Axon 7, Honor 8, and OP3. Can also look at the Moto G4+

Updates won't be as fast as the Pixel but I think they all have Nougat or it's on the way.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, after getting an SD card thinking it would be a simple matter of transferring all relevant material, and discovering that while you can move the app, the data of the app stays on your core phone, and doing a little googling, is the only way I can transfer app data (nee, game data) to my SD card is through rooting my phone to allow the process? That seems like going too far for just a simple data transfer. Do I not have any other options?

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Core LTE.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Adenoid Dan posted:

She can afford a pixel but doesn't need a phone that expensive. She'd prefer a phone that would be supported for the length of the contract (so around 2 years).

$400 seems like a good price point but there's flexibility.

It doesn't need to be the first phone to get updates as long as it's not being abandoned.

The Axon 7 is great and myself and several other goons love it @ ~$400

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Syrinxx posted:

First I've heard of the Nova, are you outside the US? I think the go-to phones at $400 are the Axon 7, Honor 8, and OP3. Can also look at the Moto G4+

Updates won't be as fast as the Pixel but I think they all have Nougat or it's on the way.

I'm in Canada. I didn't realize it wasn't released in the US. I picked it off one of the carrier's lists.

http://m.androidcentral.com/huawei-nova

The axon 7 looks quite nice.

Thanks, I'll look over those and show her the options.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Oops. Dropped my one plus 3t in water, fully submersed.

Still works great.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Still works great.

Did you turn it off and put it to a rice bag afterwards?

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

My 6P's charging port has been a nightmare to work with for the last 4 or 5 months. I was hoping to hold out until the next line of Pixels but I can't stand it anymore. New phone should be here this week! :toot:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

Did you turn it off and put it to a rice bag afterwards?

No.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Good, cos that don't do poo poo

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Still works great.

Probably not if it's the same as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've seen that happen to lots of people with whatever phone. The real damage often doesn't rear its head until some time has passed and you get intermittent problems of various sorts.