Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Reading these LPs afflictions definitely do have some serious consequences (and healing is not universally available) but I rather like the role they play. Rather than giving outright healing to all factions, perhaps a spell could allow a caster to take a random affliction from a wounded or diseased unit onto themselves. It wouldn't guarantee a full heal all at once and the caster wound be less useful for taking on a wound, but particularly crippling afflictions like chest wounds to combat pretenders could be more easily mitigated.

I'd say like a scapegoat but that's already a different kind of spell in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Broken Box posted:

Reading these LPs afflictions definitely do have some serious consequences (and healing is not universally available) but I rather like the role they play. Rather than giving outright healing to all factions, perhaps a spell could allow a caster to take a random affliction from a wounded or diseased unit onto themselves. It wouldn't guarantee a full heal all at once and the caster wound be less useful for taking on a wound, but particularly crippling afflictions like chest wounds to combat pretenders could be more easily mitigated.

I'd say like a scapegoat but that's already a different kind of spell in this game.

For comedic purposes, this new spell should be really, really expensive. Just so it hurts more when you accidentally use a mage to take something really nasty/dumb like feeblemindedness or not having a head onto himself. :v:

There's no reason to complain, after all you're getting your pretender back into action. Sacrificing a mage for this shouldn't be a problem, right?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It has always been my kokoro wish that the wound heart for being diseased was a different color. Because lordy I would love to be able to know at a glance the game cast Doom on one of my units.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
It's my kokoro wish that this thread were updated more often.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

General Dire posted:

It's my kokoro wish that this thread were updated more often.

My goal is to update 3 times a week (over my weekend). During the work week I am too tired and busy with life, sorry friend.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
The Lord taketh (blood slaves) and giveth (vampires).

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 70

Turn 70 begins with a series of research breakthroughs in Alteration magic. Since we’ve ignored Alteration from the beginning of the game the first few levels fly by due to our huge number of RP.

Again!

Well, poor Sabba the Sybl. It looks like somebody really wants to throw up a new global and is willing to drop 75F twice in order to do it. Fate of Oedipus was cast again, and Sabba’s eyes were exploded from her face for the second time. She’d just healed them, too! We are immediately going to try casting Eyes again, at this point 51 Pearls is nothing to us. Even better we get half of the cost of Fate of Oedipus (about 38 Pearls) refunded to us every time the guy casts it. So in reality we are spending ~13 Pearls to make whomever it is tearing Eyes down spend 75 Fire to do it. Now, this -is- Mo Money and it is very possible that people have hundreds and hundreds of Fire gems banked up, but spending 150 is still significant.

We cast the normal spells: Vampires, wolves, goats, searching, etc. We find one Nature site somewhere. We capture 400+ slaves, yadda yadda.

Three battles this turn, one of them interesting. First Ragha attempts again to throw Pan off its cap, to no avail:

Then we successfully storm the fort in Cacevic Highlands with paltry casualties:

We’re claiming the Throne, building a temple, building fort defense infrastructure, and searching the province. Eventually we will use the 30% Thaumaturgy discount on the Throne to summon lots of something fun and dangerous.

Man's global caused a water elemental attack on Pedosieon :lol:

This is a fun random event.

This weaker version of a Vampire Lord can be pretty tough for many nations in the early game, but at this point he's a pushover chump. We have dozens of Vampire Lords executing our commands.

The best battle of the turn was Pangaea’s storming of Man’s fort in Stinging Swamp. Pan went in with his gigantic doomstack:

Pan gets stuck in the gates.

And faced off 40 Magisters plus a handful of chaff. Pan failed to buff his army with army-wide spells like Arrow Fend and Mass Regeneration, and while his infantry got clogged in the gate the Magisters rained death upon them:

The result of Pan's laziness.

All the while the inbuilt arrows from the fort Towers plinked away at the unprotected Hoburg crossbows, Pans, Dryads, and other such things. Pan ended up losing about 1/3 of his entire army:

Brutal K/D ratio.

I love it. It is always great to see a rival set-back. It’s also nice that Pan’s doomstack that is now sitting on our border got cut down a little bit in case we have to face it soon.

I’m thinking we may have to face it soon because Pan messaged me on IRC and told me that Caelum had been talking to him and wants to join -our- attack on Bogarus. It appears as though Pan, who got so salty after we cast Arcane Nexus to the point that he insinuated that he might go to war with us after he finished off Ragha, has maybe decided that he wants to be friends after all and still go to war with Bogarus. Well, if he does that then the joke is on him because I plan to adhere to the Defensive Pact we’ve made with the Russians. If Pan and Caelum do attack Bogarus then we’ll turn around and punch Pan as hard as we can.

We’ll see what happens in the next few turns.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

How are u posted:

Brutal K/D ratio.

Holy gently caress. I didn't realize that stellar cascades was so deadly. I don't think that even counts as a doomstack anymore. They were all but annihilated.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

twig1919 posted:

Holy gently caress. I didn't realize that stellar cascades was so deadly. I don't think that even counts as a doomstack anymore. They were all but annihilated.

Eh. That's still a big ol' hunk of Hoburg Crossbows.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Pan really should have cast howl.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sure, but he lost almost all the heavy units and mages (at least from what could been seen on the screenshot), including seven Pans. 300 Hoburg Crossbows isn't nothing, but that army is a shadow of its former self.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I'm curious about that Pan that Man lost. Did he get charmed mid-battle?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ardeem posted:

I'm curious about that Pan that Man lost. Did he get charmed mid-battle?

Yeah. He didn't lose them either, he gained them. Hence the negative loss.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

50 Magister Arcanes is... not easy to deal with. That is a whole loving lot of mages.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

twig1919 posted:

The beauty of Stellar Cascades is that it ignores both armour and magic resistance, and has a reasonable aoe. In the current MoMagic game I put an army of 60 n9e6s6 nifflegiants to sleep with 8 guys spamming cascades (plus 4 as communion slaves and 100s of chaff troops). 50 guys spamming it? Good night. Pan ought to have brought in Earthquake capable Pans, or a Faerie Queen to cast Mass Flight to take out any Astral mages asap.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
To change the subject completely, is your pretender any use for anything? I don't think I've seen it in any of the battle reports.

General Dire
Apr 24, 2008
What happened with the demon gate?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

How are u posted:

This weaker version of a Vampire Lord can be pretty tough for many nations in the early game, but at this point he's a pushover chump. We have dozens of Vampire Lords executing our commands.

I love the idea of this guy being like, "I must reveal my dark secret..." *dramatically throws aside cloak* "I am.... a VAMPIRE!!!" while everyone else in Gath rolls their eyes like yeah dude, so is everyone else, get over yourself.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
I wonder if 50 magisters in a thunderstrike communion would have been even more devastating. Stellar cascades takes a while before it starts doing damage.

With +4 to paths Thunderstrike would be doing around 34 AN damage, if you have about 20 slaves and 30 masters, you can clear 30 squares worth of troops a turn (and thats ignoring the stun/fatigue and the 1AN damage to surrounding squares), so the entire frontline will die in about 2-3 turns, then they can start targeting the archers.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

tarbrush posted:

To change the subject completely, is your pretender any use for anything? I don't think I've seen it in any of the battle reports.

We haven't used him yet. There's not a lot that a super high level Nature or Blood caster can contribute to the battlefield that other mages can't do just as well, and we don't want to risk our Pretender dying in a freak battlefield loss. He's best kept out of battle and casting ritual spells, where his massive paths are actually much more useful for globals and scaling spells.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Speaking of rituals, no cross-breeding?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cross breeding is super fun and super bad. I feel like it needs a serious reworking.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Applebee123 posted:

I wonder if 50 magisters in a thunderstrike communion would have been even more devastating. Stellar cascades takes a while before it starts doing damage.

I think that there is a spell to grant lighting resist though. While fatigue is almost completely unresistable.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

twig1919 posted:

I think that there is a spell to grant lighting resist though. While fatigue is almost completely unresistable.

Thunder Strike does extremely high damage and resistances in this game work off flat reductions rather than percentages, so it's entirely possible to use T-strike to fry beings of animate lightning (especially since they tend to be ethereal units with low base HP).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
CNN presents:

Luckily, this time I avoided "missing" turns when recording. Of course, in one case only by logging in just before the timer would have run out and rushing out a 3-minute turn.

Caelum Turn 68

A fortress held by a bunch of mages and nothing else falls to our troops. Mictlan is one step closer to destruction. Bogarus is losing the race for Mictlan's capital and Jomon is finally dead as a doornail. Good riddance!

In other news, with Operation: Ocean Siege completed, tons of troops and mages are now freed from being chained to the ocean. A slow reorientation from the south to the west begins. At the end I have to deal with some unexpected trouble. There's also a rant about combat magic somewhere in this mess of a video.

Caelum Turn 69

The final attack on Mictlan itself begins. And my most dire secret is revealed: I'm poo poo at typing when I'm in a hurry and it's after midnight.

Edit:

This video looks pretty lovely compared to the other videos and if you're wondering why: The original recording turned out to be damaged. Movie Maker would play the video, but refuse to render it together with my after commentary. So instead I had to put both into a different program I had lying around. It's arguably better for editing, but slower and it tends to make my finished videos look washed out for some reason. But it also can read and process damaged video files, to I was able to restore a working .wmv file (the only type of output the other program allows) from my dead raw footage. Then I just rendered the video a second time to turn it into a .mp4 like all my other videos and presto: Damage repaired.

For this reason this short 6 minute video made me more work than the other two in this update combined!

Caelum Turn 70

An even shorter turn! I barely got the time to make sure my preparations for the war against Bogarus keep on running. Another (fourth) attack on the now empty ocean starts, mostly to counter Pangaea's slow progress under water in my direction. Some trading happens in the background: I've bought 6 skull staffs from Pangaea, paying 72 gems for it. Mostly to save on death gems (obviously I didn't pay in death gems, duh). Ironically, Pangaea then had trouble filling my order and I had to wait some extra turns until all staffs were accounted for.

Anyway, in the end six mages got their death magic boosted thanks to Pangaea, so I can't really complain. It's not like I could have attacked earlier with all my other preparations still in progress, after all.

The Past

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 19, 2017

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I'm waiting to see all these goats in action. You've been repeatedly casting scapegoats every turn for quite awhile so must have a stockpile of se'ir. What do you plan on grouping them with?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I'm waiting to see all these goats in action. You've been repeatedly casting scapegoats every turn for quite awhile so must have a stockpile of se'ir. What do you plan on grouping them with?

That's something I'm interested to see, too. Gath's hijinks in the north generally happen so far away from what Caelum is doing, I never got to see them in action in my part of the game.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Stellar Cascades is remarkably good in a fort situation because it makes the fatigued out troops clog up the gates. Then you just pile on more fatigue and the damage it does kills them off. There's really no good way to fight 50 mages other than to use big battlefield killing spells of your own.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

How are u posted:

"I AM A VAMPIRE LORD AND I HUNGER FOR THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT"
"Yeah, whatever, join the club dude :rolleyes:"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

President Ark posted:

"I AM A VAMPIRE LORD AND I HUNGER FOR THE BLOOD OF THE INNOCENT"
"Yeah, whatever, join the club dude :rolleyes:"

Basically this, but with "Gay" swapped for "Vampire".

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

50 Magister Arcanes is... not easy to deal with.
*laughs while scripting rain of stones on 2 mages*

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The real pain comes when an (actual) A4/5 mage is added into the mix, and Fog Warriors goes up first turn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Stellar Cascades is remarkably good in a fort situation because it makes the fatigued out troops clog up the gates. Then you just pile on more fatigue and the damage it does kills them off. There's really no good way to fight 50 mages other than to use big battlefield killing spells of your own.

Well I mean, you can bring flyers. Flyers completely bypass the gate chokepoint so that's a big advantage in a siege fight.

Or give the enemy mages a distraction. Howl is great not because wolves are so amazing in a fight, but because they come from random directions and cause enemy mages to waste their spells on them instead of your important guys.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Leperflesh posted:

Or give the enemy mages a distraction. Howl is great not because wolves are so amazing in a fight, but because they come from random directions and cause enemy mages to waste their spells on them instead of your important guys.

I really like the Lantern Shield for this reason. The handful of Corpse Candles it auto-summons randomly around the edges of the battlefield at the beginning of combat can be tremendously useful in screwing with people's scripting.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 71

Turn 71 begins with hitting Alteration 5. There’s not anything at Alt 5 that we’ll immediately use but it’s good to have options. We’re going to allocate enough research to hit Alt 6 and put the rest into Conjuration once again. Alt 6 will give us the spell Darkness, which is a very useful battlefield spell. Vampires can see in the Dark, you see.

Our Prophet, A Bulldozer for Palestinian Homes, has claimed the Throne of Sorcery:

Sweet gems! And a Thaumaturgy bonus we may not ever put to real use, which is sad. Speaking of gems, take a look at some of the other sites sitting in our new Throne province of Cacevic Highlands:

Throne provinces automatically are more likely to hide magic sites, and in a Mo Money setting you just know you're in for a delightful surprise of gems when you take a new Throne.

Good poo poo! Speaking of sites once again, the previous turn we got a message about our undead troops being smote by holy power in one of our provinces. Some Vampires that were passing through got roughed up by an undiscovered site. Sites that smite undead are universally Holy sites, which are about as rare as Blood sites though harder to search for because there is no Holy remote-searching spell. I had a Kohen Gadol search the province and he hit the jackpot!

Four additional gems a month sitting there for 60+ turns because I hadn’t taken the time to look! I immediately set Kohen Gadol around the empire to search for magic sites, maybe we’ll get lucky and find something. Pangaea has been griping about our blood saccing anyway, so easing up on it will hopefully get him off our back for a little while.

Our current total gem income.

We put Eyes back up! I do hope that whoever has been dispelling it is aggravated, and that they decide to spend 75 more Fire gems to tear it down again.

Our single Heliophagus was the 'victim' of a Vengeful Waters assassination attempt.

There were only two battles this turn: Ragha attacked Pangaea on Ragha’s capitol once more and we kicked that stupid independent Vampire off of Pirenna. What a jerk!

The Nexus gave us 77 Pearls this turn, and we are almost to the point where I’ll feel comfortable spending them. I really want to have a huge stockpile to fall back upon in case the Nexus is brought down.

In Scytha the Demon Gate event concluded:

We got a Devil commander, 14 Devil troops, and a handful of worthless Imps! Never look free Demons in the mouth, so they’re set to patrol the province until they’re needed for something.

The current event-chain tied to The Demon Gate may have ended, but we also got this message this turn...

We finally cracked the gate of the fort in Thorn Woods, so we’re sending a commander through next turn to see what’s inside. I’m sure it’ll be something we can handle, we’re moving a large squad of Vampires to the province to potentially storm it the following turn.

Speaking of sieges, we now have over 300 (!!) lesser Vampires sitting on Man’s capitol. I think this is more vampires than I’ve ever made in a game and we are -not- quitting anytime soon. They’re actually starting to break down the gate of the fort, so we can expect that to crack sometime in the next few turns. I can also see that Man recalled its dead Pretender God. I am pretty positive that the AI gets to cheat in regards to calling back a dead god in order to get it much faster than a Player can. Regardless, we’ll handle the spooky tree when the time comes.

Next turn: We find out what’s in Thorn Woods!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Remind me; vampires can fly and are immortal but what else about them is special?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Remind me; vampires can fly and are immortal but what else about them is special?

In Vanilla, unmodified Dominions 4 Vampires are pretty much the ultimate chaff unit. Let us count the ways they rule:

1) Like you said, in most circumstances they can Fly. They don't have to slog across the battlefield under fire, and they can jump right into enemy formations and cause trouble.

2) Again like you said, they are Immortal, if they die in our Dominion they respawn in our Capitol province. Used carefully (i.e. not like how I deployed them several turns ago, where I lost 100+ to permadeath) they'll last forever!

3) They are Invulnerable and they Regenerate. Invulnerability basically gives them a Protection of 25 vs non-magical weapons, which is fantastic for a chaff unit. Regeneration is 10% healing each battle round, which gives them staying power and lets them do their job longer.

4) Finally, they have a magical, Life Drain attack. Just having a magical attack at all would be fantastic, as magical attacks are so useful for bypassing all sorts of magical defensive buffs and innate abilities (such as Invulnerability!). The fact that their magical attack also restores their own HP when successful is just the icing on the cake.

Additionally, they are Undead, which means they have a huge resistance to Cold damage as well as virtual immunity to Poison. They are, however, extra-vulnerable to Fire damage, and like all Undead and Demons can be affected by the spell Banishment.

Preid
May 22, 2014

Zaodai posted:

Basically this, but with "Gay" swapped for "Vampire".

Like this?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Are there really no cool Thaumaturgy spells we're eager to cast a shitload of so we can leverage the Thaumaturgy bonus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I would probably try to spam Worm Mages there, but at this stage everything is pretty much irrelevant except vampires and vampire accessories.

• Locked thread