Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Has anyone had any issues getting the PC version to even boot? I try and launch it, and I've had it just crash from Background Process every time. It doesn't even seem to boot. I've reinstalled it once and verified the integrity a couple times to no real luck.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB

I'm about to roll back my drivers, as some people have said that helps, but I'm really at a loss here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

geeko55 posted:

Has anyone had any issues getting the PC version to even boot? I try and launch it, and I've had it just crash from Background Process every time. It doesn't even seem to boot. I've reinstalled it once and verified the integrity a couple times to no real luck.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390 8GB

I'm about to roll back my drivers, as some people have said that helps, but I'm really at a loss here.

Which drivers are you using? I'm using an AMD card that's so ancient it may as well have loving cuneiform on it on 17.2.1 with no issues.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The only problem about the SHMUP parts is that unless you're on very hard, Any deadly heal chip completely trivializes the fights. They shoul've balanced that one better in the SHMUP segments.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Vermain posted:

Which drivers are you using? I'm using an AMD card that's so ancient it may as well have loving cuneiform on it on 17.2.1 with no issues.

I'm on 17.3.2, and I've heard people say to roll back as far as 16.11.5

I'll roll back to 17.2.1 first, then further, and if it doesn't work I guess I'll either wait for patches or get a refund. :sigh:

geeko55 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 19, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lol that they think Jupiter will still have a great red spot in several millennia.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Who's to say a new one couldn't have formed?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Snak posted:

Lol that they think Jupiter will still have a great red spot in several millennia.

Thats a good way to never find love Snak

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Vermain posted:

No, no: when she's strangling 9S to death in a pose that's clearly suggestive of loving. There's about five or ten different ways I can think of off the top of my head to film a scene of someone being strangled to death, and you only choose that specific one if you're being suggestive to the audience. The fact that all of the YoRHa androids are total babes/studs is no accident, nor is the fact that they're all highly adept at killing while also being total babes/studs.

It's deliberate commentary on the relationship between love, sex, and violence, especially the latter two. I can get into more detail if you really want, but consider this (ending B spoilers): When 9S is being taunted by Adam, he has the line, "You're thinking about how you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" Most people are immediately going to think of "gently caress," but this is a game that already has swears in it; why the censorship? In the context of all his talk about "hate" before, can you think of another four letter word that could fit in there?

I thought it was because Yoko Taro liked girls? 9S looks like he's 12 yrs old lol.

Also I don't see the final strangling scene for that better as sexualized and I swear it was Kill since it's what 9S had been doing the entire time in route C

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I went into this game with my conspiracy theory hat on way too tight and thought that given the intro of the game dealing with memories being uploaded and save data being a gameplay mechanic that they tell you about before you even start the game, I was ready for saving data to be a plot mechanic and for the true ending to only be accessible if you save in certain places or not at all or something

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
There isn't a single "stud" class YoRHa its babes and 19/20 year old boymen

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

9s looks like 14 or something

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Manatee Cannon posted:

9s looks like 14 or something

What does your av say

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Assuming that 9S is 19/20 is giving them a loooooooooooot of credit.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I wish yoko taro had done the same thing with this game and all support units were grizzled old men in the us version

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Alder posted:

I thought it was because Yoko Taro liked girls? 9S looks like he's 12 yrs old lol.

Also I don't see the final strangling scene for that better as sexualized and I swear it was Kill since it's what 9S had been doing the entire time in route C

I mean, 2B's character design could be complete coincidence, but the fact that it fits the game's core theme like a glove makes me think otherwise.

I took a screenshot during my playthrough, and the specific line in route B is "You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?" The censorship is there to highlight the ambiguity between "gently caress" and "kill," just as the strangling scene occupies a weird liminal space between virginal "first time" sexual affection and murder.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I'll go 17 at the lowest

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh huh. If you charge the pod program up two more pods pop out and let fly with the attack.

At least I'm still only on the first route, even if I maybe should have learned that earlier.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol the man's idea of romance for the first game was Kaine beating the poo poo out of Nier and you guys are questioning this

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

verbal enema posted:

I'll go 17 at the lowest

He sounds older in ENG but 9S is clearly 12 years old in JPN. Hence he's the little brother character who follows you around the entire time.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

lets hang out posted:

lol the man's idea of romance for the first game was Kaine beating the poo poo out of Nier and you guys are questioning this

Well congrats thread, we've identified Yoko Taro's fetish.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Well congrats thread, we've identified Yoko Taro's fetish.

Robots?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
That was a really long shump sequence.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Both 9S and 2B are drawn pretty young; 2B's maybe five and a half heads high in her heels, and 9S isn't much better. Considering that Adam and Eve look like Greek sculptures (they're somewhere between 7 and 8 heads), I'm guessing this is also intentional, but I need to finish the other routes first before saying for sure.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Vermain posted:

Both 9S and 2B are drawn really young; 2B's maybe five and a half heads high in her heels, and 9S isn't much better. Considering that Adam and Eve look like Greek sculptures (they're somewhere between 7 and 8 heads), I'm guessing this is also intentional, but I need to finish the other routes first before saying for sure.

I mean that's just about the normal height and proportions on this side of the planet. :-/

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

2b is about as tall as the other androids. she doesn't look younger than them to me at least, unlike 9s who is visibly shorter than the rest of the cast

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

9S personally strikes me as looking/acting around 14-15, that magical age where you're still cute and naive but also angsty/snotty/hormonal. Depending on how you interpret his relationship with 2B I think they were going for a younger-boy-with-a-crush-on-an-older-woman dynamic but YoRHa androids only have an average lifespan of around 5 years anyway so there's not a real age gap.

Also this is a Taro Yoko game. Remember the nympho Intoners in Drakengard 3? That creepy Kaine short story from Grimoire NieR? Literally ALL of Drakengard? He's a kinky guy.

dazat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 19, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

2b is about as tall as the other androids. she doesn't look younger than them to me at least, unlike 9s who is visibly shorter than the rest of the cast

He's the same height as the other androids, sans-heels. But he is designed to look young, especially in contrast to the mature designs of the other units. It echoes in the thematic content of the story pretty well. Having him be a typical grizzled male protagonist would alter the tone of the narrative's back end quite a lot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god what do I have to do to unlock fast travel. I never want to see this desert again...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snak posted:

Oh my god what do I have to do to unlock fast travel. I never want to see this desert again...

Defeat the fifth boss. Just stick to the major missions and ignore sidequests until that point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

Her facial features are rounder and slighter than the Commander's, though I haven't seen any really good shots of the other models' faces. The Operators all wear veils, so it's harder to tell.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

He's the same height as the other androids, sans-heels. But he is designed to look young, especially in contrast to the mature designs of the other units. It echoes in the thematic content of the story pretty well. Having him be a typical grizzled male protagonist would alter the tone of the narrative's back end quite a lot.

fwiw the World Guide lists 2B's height as 5'6 (including heels) to 9S' 5'2, although the height difference seems less dramatic in-game (she's also 328 pounds to his dainty 286).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

dazat posted:

fwiw the World Guide lists 2B's height as 5'6 (including heels) to 9S' 5'2, although the height difference seems less dramatic in-game (she's also 328 pounds to his dainty 286).

The butt accounts for at least half of the weight difference.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Snak posted:

Alright;

Someone has a side quest to give the resistance leader an item. The leader has a quest, in turn, to give that person oil. Giving them oil triggers STUFF to happen and once you jump into a hole in the ground you have fast travel.

At least one quest does come up as failed for no apparent reason, though, but eh. Fast travel.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How do I tell which quest is the main quest?

I guess by map marker.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

dazat posted:

9S personally strikes me as looking/acting around 14-15, that magical age where you're still cute and naive but also angsty/snotty/hormonal. Depending on how you interpret his relationship with 2B I think they were going for a younger-boy-with-a-crush-on-an-older-woman dynamic but YoRHa androids only have an average lifespan of around 5 years anyway so there's not a real age gap.

Also this is a Taro Yoko game. Remember the nympho Intoners in Drakengard 3? That creepy Kaine short story from Grimoire NieR? Literally ALL of Drakengard? He's a kinky guy.

A relevant quote from the Glixel interview he did:

Q:What's the appeal for you in creating transgressive stories with taboo subjects?

A:The world is filled with lies and desires in the first place, but I feel like it has a tendency to hide and forbid taboos. We write about the love between a man and woman and family, but we can't write about sex. There are stories about beauty and growth, but not about aging and perishing. I think that those are lies and I'm not good at writing lies. I just want to be honest to myself.

So yeah all of this is entirely intentional.

And on a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NOTE:

Snak posted:

How do I tell which quest is the main quest?

I guess by map marker.

Side quests are a single dot, main quests are 4 dots in a diamond.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but you can't tell on the list, you have to look at the map.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A brief description of the current main quest appears in the bottom-left of the Map tab.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Main quests are listed on the map.

When you check map it will say somewhere do a thing more or less. That thing is always the 4 corner marker.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Super end game spoilers

what is the significance of the Red Girls? Did I miss something? I thought I was crazy in C when u saw a hologrammy girl in the hanger one time

If so ok if not goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm still way in the beginning of the game, where I just fought the guy in the desert who was doing Drakengard 3 eye-explodey intoner replication, and having not died yet I'm still super-unclear on how death works. If I spend all my hard-earned money increasing 2B's chip capacity, will that money get flushed down the drain the first time I screw up and get killed?