Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

WhyteRyce posted:

The dokmo Was Right Tour rolling along with Papa John getting a double-double against the Thunder

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

euphronius posted:

I got dunked on twice in the harrisburg YMCA and can never play pick up basketball again.

Basketball is an amazing sport

Getting humbled in HABL is a rite of passage

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Actually, Karl, cops get paid vacations all the time.

And service people get plenty of rest in between j/o sessions at the FOB

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I imagine ABC is really thrilled that two weeks in a row their Saturday night game had the stars resting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

I imagine ABC is really thrilled that two weeks in a row their Saturday night game had the stars resting.

This week they're competing with the tournament so it's probably not as big a blow

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Harden with another 40 pt triple double

and an MVP chant in Denver

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

If you want to reward winning, pick durant/curry. Everyone is always bitching about Rose winning on narrative, now we got another similar situation, just Fast Track the narrative and reward durant/curry for making unselfish decisions, and giving us the best basketball.

Are you saying co-MVPs?

Femur posted:

Westbrook was just all effort. His weaknesses are well known and have been his criticism forever. Reward him if you value narrative. Either talking about him all year was just a fart, and shut up about TD forever, counting stats mean jack poo poo.

He gets the 110% award.

chunkles posted:

Harden with another 40 pt triple double

Seven so far this season. That has to be close to the record if it's not the record already.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

People supporting Westbrook have just heard the stories about his sharp tongue and absurd Man Code, and they're afraid that they might someday befriend Rusty by happenstance but, alas, find themselves on the wrong side of either because they didn't support him in 2017. Or they are scorned lovers themselves and, by awarding the MVP to the man KD left behind, they believe themselves subconsciously to be increasing the chances that they will look back on life after their own failed relationships and find themselves better, stronger, more self-actualized than the people who broke their hearts. Take back your life and dignity, be your own person, do not slouch toward a Russel Westbrook MVP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I always said that Westbrook picked possibly the worst time to be the first triple double guy in like 20 years when 2 other players are basically doing the same thing but way better in efficiency. He could've won it 2 years ago or one of those Heat Lebron years when people were bored of picking Lebron but no one else was that amazing.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Spurs looking like they'll drop to the three seed which should lock in Kawhi as the MVP. If they're all the way down at the 3 seed with Kawhi, could you imagine how bad they'd be without him?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

How the hell did the Bulls beat Utah

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Spurs haven't been bad for 3 decades, so no, I can't imagine it.

Your other max player will probably​ just take more shots and be an all star again until he came there.

Zogo posted:

Are you saying co-MVPs?

He gets the 110% award.

Sure. the media can finally do a brave thing and stick it to the owners, sticking up for players.

But they won't. They want to vote chalk, but not be poser bandwagoners. bunch of pussies.

Femur fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 19, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shaq laying out some flat earth stupid that makes Kyrie's explanation look fucken erudite

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Zogo posted:

Seven so far this season. That has to be close to the record if it's not the record already.

Pretty sure they said on the broadcast that it is.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Actually, Karl, cops get paid vacations all the time.

And service people get plenty of rest in between j/o sessions at the FOB

cops get paid vacations regardless of the quality of their shooting

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Ive never played a pick up game that wasnt just a bunch of people smoking cigs randomly at a court.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
https://streamable.com/ky809

Does anyone understand exactly what an illegal screen is? What exactly makes this not an obviously illegal screen? It's gotten to the point where I legitimately do not understand what is and isn't.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson have spent the entire cavs clippers game crying about lebron/kyrie/kevin resting

They did the same during the entire warriors spurs game and it was terrible. Especially because they barely even talked about the schedule changes the league's making next year to try to cut down on this, instead of trying to have an intelligent discussion about the topic it was just whining.

Some team really needs to jump on the grenade and hire Jackson so we don't have to listen to him anymore. (Or Van Gundy, but I'm not sure he's interested in coaching again.) I don't know whether Van Gundy would then become tolerable (probably not) but the "banter" between JVG and Jackson is just excruciating.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Slight tangent, but people who follow the WNBA, in particular the Dallas Wings, may be mildly interested to hear that currently rostered player Erin Phillips just made it to the grand final of the first ever season of the AFLW. The AFLW, or Australian Football League Women's, an acronym that happened because Western Australia already had dibs on WAFL, is the first ever time women have been able to play aussie rules professionally. Phillips is playing for the Adelaide Crows, and doing her best to poach her WNBA teammates for our league.

Ex WNBA player Jess Bibby is also in the league, but hasn't played WNBA for like 7 years or something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lmao ESPN just called resting stars in games a "disturbing trend" lmao dude, if you don't want people resting then schedule less games and lengthen the season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
“It’s true. The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat. Yes, it is. Listen, there are three ways to manipulate the mind — what you read, what you see and what you hear. In school, first thing they teach us is, ‘Oh, Columbus discovered America,’ but when he got there, there were some fair-skinned people with the long hair smoking on the peace pipes. So, what does that tell you? Columbus didn’t discover America. So, listen, I drive from coast to coast, and this s*** is flat to me. I’m just saying. I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it’s flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity, have you looked outside Atlanta lately and seen all these buildings? You mean to tell me that China is under us? China is under us? It’s not. The world is flat.” –Shaq
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/so-apparently-shaquille-oneal-is-a-flat-earther-too-035813782.html
"This man has a doctorate degree in education from Barry University in Miami, Fla. "

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

These players all just saw how much we loved that story about the ABA player who didn't understand time zones, and are trying to entertain us by taking the concept as far as they can

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

gently caress Shaq and this retarded meme.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lHoSGHj3Oo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I want to marry this video.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

I didn't know I needed a Plumlee video set to Prince.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

It's amazing his confidence hasn't been shot to hell.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

There is not a single moment where I miss having this guy on my team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

Khris Middleton's RAPM last year (and Jokic's) is (are) one (two) of the reasons I think it's a good stat. He's an (they are) incredibly valuable player(s).

Is it a foul if Brogdon got ball and hit Young in the shoulders on the follow-through?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1K9jVv45B4
Also Russell trying to shove Monroe then run away got me laffin' like the classic Melo suckerpunch hit-and-run move against the Knicks (god drat Melo sucks)

Here's a classic video of Shaq almost ending Brad Miller then getting gang tackled by Ron Artest and Charles Oakley:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz16rx_shaquille-o-neal-almost-kills-brad-miller_sport
it's an all-time terrifying struggle of gigantic dudes I wouldn't want to be anywhere near if they were fighting

Wwhen I truzst RPM it's when the team isn't perfect, so there isn't network effect, and when the player doesn't produce outrageous box score stats so it isn't stilted by priors. I think Jeremias Englemann did one without priors and I liked it, it was just a one off thing though.

Fast Luck posted:

Last year Kobe retired and now Wade broke his elbow and is out for the year so only their true son and heir Kobe Wade remains. It is his time to flourish and bend the NBA to his will

BUT

Waiters hurt his ankle and will probably be out a week or more, hopefully they can win enough without him to stay in the playoff race.

Kobe Wade is the best poo poo in the NBA, period
Kobe Wade
Kobe Wade

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
RIP your career
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/843523577349517313

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

The content creation in this thread is peerless

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

And we are on a three game win streak including beating the Spurs 🤔🤔🤔 Grizz just gotta keep the yearly sacrifices coming to succeed I guess.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
If he retires hurt, can the Grizz get out from the cap consequences of his deal?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

tarbrush posted:

If he retires hurt, can the Grizz get out from the cap consequences of his deal?

I loving hope so

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

tarbrush posted:

Doubt he retires. He will at least heal on the Grizz's time next season.

Edit: The last few weeks Dirk has been completely healthy. Assuming he doesn't get injured again next season it's going to be interesting to see what the Mavs do with their starting 5. Curry, Barnes, and Dirk are the only players I absolutely expect to be in their starting 5. Noel should be starting but Barnes is much better on offense at the 4. Yogi will likely improve but depending on who they get in the draft, I could see him as the starter or 6th man. If they trade Matthews, I'm convinced the defense will become much worse. (Unless Finney-Smith improves more than expected.) It'd be real helpful if the Mavs won the draft lotto.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 19, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It would be awesome if Dallas won the lottery but also a loving crime at the same time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tarbrush posted:

If he medically retires, yes and Parsons keeps his checks. But you need to be 1 year from the last time you played before you can medically retire. So the earliest he could do that is March 2018.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q63

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

tarbrush posted:

There's no way he retires. Too much money on the table. He hasn't been healthy all season and shelving him is the right thing to do. Maybe he'll be better next year, but right now he's the worst player on the team and needs to go sit and think about what he's done.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dario Saric says gently caress that tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

He didn't look like an NBA player anymore before this injury, so yeah, RIP. Invest your gazillion $$$ wisely and don't just blow it on ripped jeans and white t-shirts, dude.

• Locked thread