Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

clam ache posted:

I'm in Louisville till Tuesday. Celebrating my aniversary with my wife. Anyone have any good recommendations? Just did the Louisville slugger tour. Was awesome due to an amazing tour guide. Also this city feels tiny compared to Chicago but still a bigish city.

Drive a little more and do the bourbon trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
RIP Chuck Berry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr-YF_dTTZM

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

Drive a little more and do the bourbon trail.
What's the Bourbon Trail? Sounds like my cup of tea.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

Imagine Oregon Trail but with a lot more drinking.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's civil war battlefields and stuff around there, and the horse grounds at the Kentucky Derby are interesting as well if you're into that kind of thing.

We went to a flea market by the derby. And are doing a lot of the touristy things. I have never seen so many rust free jeeps. It's amazing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, Fords white those years was absolute crap. Seems like every white cop car has bits missing. Mines not as bad as yours, but still there. Or not, as the case may be.

Yeah, makes me happy that mine's black with just white doors.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Imagine Oregon Trail but with a lot more drinking.
So basically Deadwood, then?

Fine. Sign me up.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

InitialDave posted:

So basically Deadwood, then?

Fine. Sign me up.

I honestly have no idea and pulled that out of my rear end.

I want to believe that it involves both though.

E: There's a retired cop car in one of the small towns I drive through on my way to my folks' place. White roof, there is no paint in a giant semi-circular spot starting across the entire top of the windshield to about a third of the way back. Every year another inch or two of paint flakes off around the circle so it kinda has this gradient of cancer to surface rust to bare metal thing going on.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 19, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Basically its a self-guided tour of the various distilleries in the region. My uncle is really into bourbon and goes at least 2-3 times per year.

AFAIK there isn't an actual trail.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

InitialDave posted:

There's a bunch of famous distilleries near Louisville. Woodford reserve, Makers Mark, Evan Williams, Jim Beam etc. Its like a wine tour except with Bourbon.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

clam ache posted:

I'm in Louisville till Tuesday. Celebrating my aniversary with my wife. Anyone have any good recommendations? Just did the Louisville slugger tour. Was awesome due to an amazing tour guide. Also this city feels tiny compared to Chicago but still a bigish city.

The Village Idiot had a pork belly something or other, with goose fat fries, that was the most memorable thing from our trip I think (went to Rolex 3 day event at keeneland with the wife).

The Lexington Diner had chicken and waffles that my wife says was amazing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

Its like a wine tour except with Bourbon.
Despite the protestations of my liver, you have my attention.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

clam ache posted:

If you like cocktails, check out http://metalouisville.com/ it's a phenomenal bar/speakeasy. I would say do at least one distillery tour if you haven't, they're all fairly similar. The Elijah Craig Experience is in Louisville proper if you don't feel like driving out to some place like Maker's.

We also enjoyed the Kentucky Derby Museum and Churchill Downs tour.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Despite the protestations of my liver, you have my attention.

I've never done it, but it's on the to-do/bucket list I maintain with a good friend http://kybourbontrail.com/map/

We once did ten wineries in a single day by carefully planning open/close times, so I feel that we are prepared.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

So, uh, how hard is it to learn stick? If I bought a Focus RS or Civic R with no manual experience would I just gently caress up the car and cost myself a ton of money?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So, uh, how hard is it to learn stick? If I bought a Focus RS or Civic R with no manual experience would I just gently caress up the car and cost myself a ton of money?

At 15 years old the first stick I attempted went flawless, of course I was in the high school library every chance I got reading 20 year old car and drivers but if you can wrap your mind around the concept of a clutch and letting it out as you engage gas then you will be fine. On the other hand the RS is an extreme car, a 40k+ car, I would not want to test yourself on that. A honda shifts like butter and you will be spoiled if you start with that. Find a $1k 5 speed 90s neon or Altima or civic to practice on? Shame that there are no manuals for rent in America.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I agree with the above. It helped me a lot to read about how the system physically worked before I even got in the car. I bought an old Civic hatch (RIP) w/o knowing how to drive it and it worked out great until she was stolen... hope you have better luck than me!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Dive directly in, if a bunch of shithead bozos that are lame and also stupid as gently caress (use your imagination here about people you dislike) can drive around with a stick then you too will have no problem. Once you get the concept you get it and that's all there is to it. I'm guessing if you bought an RS or Civic R you'd learn how to drive stick in less than 10 minutes. The rest of your time is spent learning the car and then later when you hop into another manual transmission car for the first time you will buck and maybe stall it or rev the piss out of it as you feel for the clutch engagement and then learn that car in 30 seconds or so.

I taught a neighbor of ours how to drive stick on my Golf R and he got the concept right away, the rest of the time was spent learning the car because they all have different ways they feel and driving a manual transmission vehicle is nothing but feel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you are near central mass feel free to come by and rag out my 500 dollar forester to learn first, I have a spare motor and trans on the front porch and already drove it with the clutch cylinders acting up for a while then fixed that and drove it misfiring so bad I had to slip the hell out of the clutch to avoid stalling. If I can't kill it doing that you certainly can't.

E: and if you murderfuck it, it is an excuse to finish teaching my wife to drive standard (she's a perfectionist and afraid to break something trying to learn, just like I was once) and then swap in the spare engine that doesn't sound like a metal trash can full of billiard balls on cold startup. gently caress I hate this car.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 19, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Wife surprised me tonight with tickets to a midnight showing of Black & Chrome (Fury Road in black and white) at a historic theater in Cleveland.

It's actually her favorite movie so I'm not sure if this was for me or her and she just forgot to tell me.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

From what I've seen my co-workers do with a clutch (that makes my eye twitch), I think self taught with some reading up on how it operates, could only be better.

"That's really bad for the clutch" I say, as friction disc particles drift lazily as smoke into the cabin

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The gal in the Toyota ads is super hot.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

99.9% of the developing and undeveloped world drive manual only. It's not hard at all. It should take about 2 or 3 attempts on a sloppy cheap car's transmission, and maybe 15 times on a racecar with a stiff clutch if that's your first manual ever.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The worst clutch i ever changed was on some high school kid's 350z, with like 30k miles. I put it in 1st, let out the clutch, and the car just barely inched forward. Somehow, he had driven it to the shop.

In hindsight i really should have given him a quick driving lesson when he picked it up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Have you ever seen a flex joint on a Subaru twin scroll exhaust header fail so hard it blasted the flex mesh clean off?

And then blasted hot gasses in directions so that it melted the inner guards and set fire to the engine mount AND then the cv joint boot split due to the heat blast? And then also damaged a line of other things by the sheer heat?

So yeah the latest rally was... interesting There's a lot of odd damage to fix as a result of that failure. Engine mounts, CV boots, Steering boots, the inner guard, a few other random rubber things and that's what we have found so far.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FWIW, I had a friend try to give me a lesson once. Once. Fucker kept putting it on hills though... plus it was a 60s Beetle with a trash clutch to begin with. He could never drive it smoothly, and he grew up driving manual.

I taught myself by buying a beater with a manual, then trying to figure out how to get it home in rush hour traffic. The hardest part is getting the car to start moving; once it's moving, you're golden.

It's better to stall than to rev the snot out of it when trying to get it moving - stalling is embarrassing, but isn't wearing out the clutch like a 3000 RPM slowwwwwwww launch will. Drive a manual car around in a parking lot - every car has a different engagement point on the clutch (even two identical cars, once they've been driven for a few months by different owners, will have clutches that feel a little different from each other). Some people call it the bite point, slip point, etc. It's where the clutch just begins to grab; from there you give it just a tiny bit more gas and ease the clutch out as you slowly increase the throttle.

The goal is to learn to do a smooth launch without putting much wear on the clutch. Your first attempts will be a mix of hopping, stalling, and peeling out, and possibly a bit of burning brake smell if you let it slip too much (that's you destroying the clutch).

Once you have the car moving and the clutch fully engaged (foot off of it in 1st), the hardest part is done. Upshifting will be herky jerky at first, you'll get a feel for it pretty quick (within an hour). Downshifting is something I try not to do unless I need to pass someone, or I'm slowing to speeds that require a lower gear (I never downshift to slow down, for example - it's just more wear on the clutch).

The other hard part is reverse. You pretty much always have to feather the clutch and throttle while backing up; reverse is geared a little lower than 1st on most cars, but I generally don't go much higher than ~1000 rpm when backing out of a parking space. It's a balancing act of feathering the clutch and keeping the engine from stalling. It's rare that I actually take my foot completely off the clutch while reversing; the car just goes too fast if I do - I'll alternate between slipping it a little to keep the car moving and having the clutch to the floor.

tl;dr it ain't hard. hardest part is getting it moving. I don't know how forgiving a Civic Type R or Focus RS clutch would be (though I'm told the Focus ST clutch is pretty forgiving), but I know Honda manuals + clutches tend to be pretty decent to drive (I've owned 6 Hondas... 5 were manual). I'd be a bit wary about learning on an RS, more because it's an AWD.. so if you accidentally dump the clutch, there's more poo poo to break. On a FWD or RWD car, if you dump the clutch, you just peel out. On AWD it usually just hooks up and goes, and sometimes breaks a few things if you drop the clutch too hard too often.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 19, 2017

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The gal in the Toyota ads is super hot.

She's mine dude :mad:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I got second outright in my class in RC racing in the state titles today :)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I learned to drive stick by buying a manual too, having to learn to do it properly is the best way to learn. Just learn to love the dead pedal, and your clutch will love you
Technically, I learned when my brother drove the car 3 miles from my house, parked in a parking lot in an industrial area, and then told me to drive us home. Don't be too self-conscious about messing up traffic when you kill the car, a cop pulled me over on the way home, but after telling him that I was learning, he just laughed and told me to be easier on the clutch

I wasn't actually confident driving stick until maybe the 3rd or 4th time I drove it, and happened to have stopped on the line at a busy stoplight on a hill. I killed it 5 times as the cars behind me constantly honked and crept up, but I got the car through the intersection by the end of the light cycle... The only good thing about Illinois is that it's almost entirely flat, so I got some experience before I had to learn how to really drive on hills

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Well hello there...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Have you ever seen a flex joint on a Subaru twin scroll exhaust header fail so hard it blasted the flex mesh clean off?

And then blasted hot gasses in directions so that it melted the inner guards and set fire to the engine mount AND then the cv joint boot split due to the heat blast? And then also damaged a line of other things by the sheer heat?

So yeah the latest rally was... interesting There's a lot of odd damage to fix as a result of that failure. Engine mounts, CV boots, Steering boots, the inner guard, a few other random rubber things and that's what we have found so far.
Ah poo poo :( Some nice carnage pictures on FB

As for learning to drive a manual, it isn't that bad and knowing the mechanics of it. I've taught a lot of people and once they get over the fear of stalling or hurting it they pick it up quick.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Yeah the best way to learn manual is to buy one. I bought a 6 speed 2014 Outback. I was lucky that I had another car to drive that week so I could get to work without too much trouble. Coming from a cvt to a manual was weird.

I actually think 1st to 2nd is harder in some modern cars than starting. My outback has really bad rev hang from 1st to 2nd and getting used to it can be a challenge. Had I driven more manuals before this one, I might not have gotten it honestly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Where are you? AI has clapped out stick shift vehicles all over the country. I practiced a few times in my friend's Ford Probe before I bought my Mazdaspeed Protege -- only stalled it once driving home from the car lot.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Anyone know the actual legality of knowingly selling a car with disabled, federally mandated warning lights / systems?

I work on used cars at a Toyota store. Was inspecting this dumb hosed up JK Wrangler Unlimited that for some reason we have to retail because of its "eyeball" and saw the TPMS light doesn't prove out when you start it. Hook up our generic scan tool, find codes for cannot detect sensor x4 and an ECU mismatch. So someone went into the PCM and told it to never turn the indicator on. To me that seems like something we have to address: TPM has been required since like 2007. Our GM says hes cool with ignoring it and disclosing it to customer in the paperwork at time of sale.

Seems like potentially a pretty big liability right?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
From a buyer perspective, if a dealership told me that the tpm was disabled like that, I would run away. It would be very hard to shake the idea that there were other things you were hiding from me or future possible electrical gremlins may be hiding.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I guess jeep allow the lamp to be disabled, because you may run aftermarket wheels without sensors? So maybe it's ok if fully disclosed?

NitroSpazzz posted:

As someone who recently started shopping big trucks...that's a drat nice truck

Looked at it yesterday. Probably a good deal for someone at $13.5k, but the interior was pretty shot and the AC was inop (seller claimed was working on phone, and said they would have it fixed). Shame about interior, was originally a pretty nice almost saddle leather like in the king ranch trucks.

Really a lot of that would probably clean up, my biggest concern is that a farm owned it and regular maintenance is just a big question mark.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
IIRC, disabiling tpms is a strict no-no from the feds.

I would also be terrified of the liability. Any blow out related accident could easily result in some liability.

Intentionally not disclosing a safety defect (TPMS is a safety system) is like the biggest red flag ever.

So basically we have a federal offense, massive liability, and ethical issues. Time to start job hunting because how can you be sure they haven't disabled safety poo poo on the lifts?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, while TPMS really doesn't matter, in my opinion, and a lot of people disable it to fit different wheel combinations etc, if you're a dealer selling a car, don't take the chance.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I found a switch in my new-to-me 08 p71 by the OBD port that disables the entire dashboard, warning lights, chimes, and brake lights. Also, no TPMS light or OBD codes at all :smug:

I also found fired .40 S&W and .556 cases all over the car :stare:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Got the fuel filter changed on my wife's Tracker and wow the problem is solved :toot:

Also found out that it was bought in Naples, Florida originally. Considering the mileage and it's age I honestly feel that this vehicle has never left Naples and us driving it home is the furthest it's driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well I'm down with flu-like symptoms and the Stockholm syndrome is such that I keep thinking I can't take a day off tomorrow because I have so much to do and so much later in the week to prepare for but if I'm this bad tomorrow morning I'm not going to be that guy that makes everyone else ill gently caress it.

My joints ache and my total intake today has been half a packet of biscuits, a bag of crisps and loads of coffee. Real healing food there right?

• Locked thread