Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

food court bailiff posted:

Do you think so?

Maybe not, I just skimmed the article. It would actually make more sense for Dunham's to go under first; the place is a strange melange of clearance track suits, AK-47s, and dusty merch from the 90s.

Gander Mountain would do well to reduce their lines and figure out why people go there. It goes without saying that you can't get near the gun counter on any given weekend. Find 5-6 other things and call it good.

Every one of these stores insists on having house branded clothing lines. How many Chinese knockoffs of a Bean chamois shirt are really necessary? More importantly, who needs to replace one more frequently than a decade at a time? You're not going to do a better boot than Timberland, Gokey, or Red Wing, so give it up and let the dilettante hikers get their glued on soles from Zappos. Pull the best of everything into fewer stores. Cabelas kind of has this figured out. They know they can't touch Woolrich, so they bring 'em in.

Brand brand brand build the brand blah blah brand, we have to preserve our brand. No. You're a store. You search the globe for heirloom quality stuff and you sell it. That's what you do.

Gander also has an interesting problem re: unloading stores with distinctive architecture/facades. There isn't a whole lot you can do with that ski chalet look or the version with the mountains plastered onto the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Speakeasy Ales, an SF brewery that's been around since the early 90s, went full on paychecks-bouncing kaput last week. CEO duder made a statement basically saying "the creditors own everything, peace out"

edit:
http://www.goodbeer.com/blog/2017/3/10/speakeasy-ales-lagers-to-cease-operations-indefinitely
Eh, not the best brewery. Still wish it were Rogue instead.

Carrion Luggage posted:

But they are not capturing the market of people who do go to outdoor stores.

The best part about this particular Bass Pro Shop is that it used to be a sports arena.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

get that OUT of my face posted:

Eh, not the best brewery. Still wish it were Rogue instead.

yeah. they were outstanding in a relative sense until recently. they didn't get worse, either, it's just the quality and quantity of beer and breweries has skyrocketed in the last decade and they kinda got left behind.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:allears: this oughta be good
The Uber Bombshell About to Drop

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So we have corporate entities warring over the ability to make intelligent machines via information theft and legal battles?

Man, it really is a cyberpunk world.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ramos posted:

So we have corporate entities warring over the ability to make intelligent machines via information theft and legal battles?

Man, it really is a cyberpunk world.

We got all the cyberpunk intrigue, none of the cyberpunk fashion. :(

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

We got all the cyberpunk intrigue, none of the cyberpunk fashion. :(

That probably happened when we went with iPad white instead of 90s black.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

lol a google employee stole documents by just downloading them from google drive and quitting without notice and somehow expected to not get caught

ive known literal crack addicts who put more thought into not getting caught stealing than that

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I hope they stole the technical requirements for another new messaging app

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

JC Penney announced the list of stores it's closing.

Doggles posted:

I thought I smelled the stench of failure when I came in this morning...

https://i.imgur.com/KmiUCWY.gifv

And yes, that one's on the list.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

They're closing a store near me. And I didn't even know there was a store there.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went to Penney's for the first time in years and was actually impressed at how nice it was. Then I started shopping and realized they intentionally keep a minimal number of items out so that it doesn't look and feel cluttered (looking at you Kohls). It works, but it also means that I had to ask for help for just about every item because they didn't have my size or the color or pattern I wanted out of the shelves. Which is annoying. Especially for clothing where you might want to try stuff on.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Mine's not closing, cool. I hardly ever buy clothes for myself, but they are my first stop and I've always found what I needed there.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I wish there was an Ikea near me for when I need cheap furniture. The closest one is a couple of hours away. I bought some cheap shelves at Walmart a few years ago. They were fine for awhile but pretty much disintegrated the first time I tried to move them from the spot where they were assembled. From what I understand Ikea trash is at the least, a level above that.

I bought a Bass at GC like 10 years ago. I foolishly thought I was capable of trying to play an instrument. I can't say the experience was terrible but I fell for the upsale and paid too much for an instrument I clearly had no ability to play. I blame myself and not the store or the salesperson. That bass did find a happy home with a friend of mine that is a great musician, so the story ended happily for the bass.

I've never been in a Gander mountain. But my last experience at Field & Stream was kinda lovely. I was shopping for a particular rifle. The local gun shop that I use could get it for me but through their distributors it was priced way above what it should cost. Gun shop guy straight up said "Go through GunBroker cause our best price is pretty much poo poo, sorry". I went to the F&S just to see if they could get one at a better price.

The guy had no clue what I was asking him to look up. He seemed befuddled that I wanted something that wasn't on the shelf. He didn't even know how to look through any of their inventory. Another guy came and figured that out. They couldn't get what I was looking for, which is fine. But he insisted on showing me a completely different rifle from what I asked about then made a lazy attempt to offer me financing on the thing I didn't want.

I did, however buy a really nice knife that day. Half off of clearance price on a Benchmade blade. I guess he made a sale, just not on the crappy, overpriced AR-15 that he was trying to get off the shelf. Not sure If F&S is in trouble or not. The store near me is brand new and usually has a bunch of people in it. If the gun buying experience is anything like what I dealt with they'll be driving people to the local shops for sure.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

There is a mall in Bullhead City? There are people in Bullhead City?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

If the gun buying experience is anything like what I dealt with they'll be driving people to the local shops for sure.

Especially the old guys, the sixty year old hunters and such, they tend to know what they are talking about.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I wish there was an Ikea near me for when I need cheap furniture. The closest one is a couple of hours away.

At least here in Canada, IKEA mail order is pretty great and they do a very good job of giving accurate dimensions on the website.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Ikea in the States is weird with mail order. Like when I tried it a few years ago I had to wait for a quote on shipping. Like daaaaaaaaays. Amazon has a few sellers who ship Ikea stuff, but it's almost always overpriced.

I've never used their furniture, but kitchen wares is almost universally terrible and barely above Wal-Mart. Office furniture is great though. We have an Ikea high-backed office chair which still feels new after 3 years.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I wish there was an Ikea near me for when I need cheap furniture. The closest one is a couple of hours away. I bought some cheap shelves at Walmart a few years ago. They were fine for awhile but pretty much disintegrated the first time I tried to move them from the spot where they were assembled. From what I understand Ikea trash is at the least, a level above that.

Walmart furniture is so bad it's like they asked for the worst particle board in existence then said "no, this isn't lovely enough. Make it worse."

Ikea stuff is geared toward being simple, cheap, and good enough. It's not nearly as flimsy as Walmart garbage. It isn't heirloom quality stuff that your grandchildren will still be using but you really can't beat Ikea for the price.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Walmart furniture is so bad it's like they asked for the worst particle board in existence then said "no, this isn't lovely enough. Make it worse."

this is literally what walmart does to their suppliers. idk if they still do but for a long time they forced suppliers to periodically cut costs or be dropped. it's why Tupperware went from a universal lifetime warranty against all breakage on their products to a tiered warranty system, so they could funnel cut-rate garbage into walmart and not be on the hook for anything besides manufacturing defects

Cactus Ghost has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Mar 19, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OMGVBFLOL posted:

this is literally what walmart does to their suppliers. idk if they still do but for a long time they forced suppliers to periodically cut costs or be dropped. it's why Tupperware went from a universal lifetime warranty against all breakage on their products to a tiered warranty system, so they could funnel cut-rate garbage into walmart and not be on the hook for anything besides manufacturing defects

If memory serves their general rule is "you must sell us things 5% cheaper than last year, every year." They almost put Vlasic out of business.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Hooboy, Wal-Mart chat. I hate Wal-Mart, and you guys caught me on the night I tried to go to Wal-Mart for the first time in 3 years. I don't know how they stay in business - hateful customers and employees, empty shelves, 2 registers open and 20+ people in line. I don't know how people function in areas where Wal-Mart is their only local shopping choice. I might just choose to stave to death and resort to using junkmail as toilet paper.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ikea owns and I'm glad I used to live like three minutes away from one and only 20 minutes away now.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
The Vlasic story: https://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Goober Peas posted:

Hooboy, Wal-Mart chat. I hate Wal-Mart, and you guys caught me on the night I tried to go to Wal-Mart for the first time in 3 years. I don't know how they stay in business - hateful customers and employees, empty shelves, 2 registers open and 20+ people in line. I don't know how people function in areas where Wal-Mart is their only local shopping choice. I might just choose to stave to death and resort to using junkmail as toilet paper.

Yeah, I went to Walmart a few weeks ago; our TV died and they happened to have a better price on one we wanted, and was actually in stock. Between being ignored when I got there to pick it up and then being treated like I was trying to shoplift a TV when I was leaving (accompanied by an employee pushing the TV on a cart)... gently caress that place, forever.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm laughing - I gave the store a 1 star review on Facebook and corporate replied with information to call the local store or visit the customer service desk on my next visit. They obviously have never tried to do either of those things or they would know that 1) nobody ever answers the phone and 2) the customer service desk couldn't possibly care less.

Edit: the location has a 2.5 star rating out of 5 which by Wal-Mart standards is top tier.

Goober Peas has a new favorite as of 03:41 on Mar 19, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Goober Peas posted:

I went to Penney's for the first time in years and was actually impressed at how nice it was. Then I started shopping and realized they intentionally keep a minimal number of items out so that it doesn't look and feel cluttered (looking at you Kohls). It works, but it also means that I had to ask for help for just about every item because they didn't have my size or the color or pattern I wanted out of the shelves. Which is annoying. Especially for clothing where you might want to try stuff on.

I actually really like JC Penney's now, it's a great place to shop and is set up excellently. People just need to go in there and give it a chance.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

Inertia. I worked at one for four years around the time the Great Recession hit. When that happened Walmart did a massive, massive shift in how it treated its employees. That's been something that has been going on since Mr. Sam handed off control of the company. From what I heard when he ran it it was actually a pretty good place to work and that's why it was successful but over the past couple of decades the company has just gotten increasingly lovely. It's still enormous so it has a lot of near-monopolistic control, partly because of those places where your choices are in fact Walmart or lol gently caress you. Competing with them is just plain difficult.

The problem is that they've been deliberately running everything on an increasingly scarce skeleton crew for almost a decade and it's ruining them. Instead of thinking "hey maybe we should listen to what Sam Walton actually loving said and treat our employees better" they're just saying "nah, crack the whip harder, cut more hours, that's how you get customers in the door!" For better or for worse they're still probably the cheapest place around. Granted more and more people are just buying everything from the intertubes so they're probably just squeezing as much profit out of the world as they can before physical stores go the way of the dodo.

Main thing is that yeah the Walton kids are tremendously lovely people. The employees just don't care because they're all underpaid, most of them are part time, and they get lovely benefits if any at all.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Main thing is that yeah the Walton kids are tremendously lovely people. The employees just don't care because they're all underpaid, most of them are part time, and they get lovely benefits if any at all.

The last time I was in Sams Club they had a quote from one of the Walton kids about charity painted on one of the walls in massive letters. It was something like "its not what you gather, but what you scatter". I thought it was astoundingly ironic and also a pretty good example of how bad the Walton family is.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah i have no problem understanding why retail employees dgaf about their job or helping me. customers suck and retail corporations are soul-destroying garbage. i manage to find what i need without demanding someone slobber my knob about it

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For better or for worse they're still probably the cheapest place around
And that's enough to attract people, especially the ones who don't realize why it's so cheap(because it's corner-cutting garbage). Even if there are other places around with comparable prices, a lot of people will assume Walmart is the cheapest without actually checking. Without that perception of cheapness, it'd be doomed - it's the bigger one of the two reasons* people shop there from what I've seen, and it doesn't have anything else to draw people in. (*The other is that Walmarts are usually open 24/7, but that falls apart the instant a different 24/7 place opens)

I won't pretend Target/Meijer/etc are valiantly fighting for the rights of their workers or offering anything life-changing, but at least they're not actively painful to shop in.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CoffeeBooze posted:

The last time I was in Sams Club they had a quote from one of the Walton kids about charity painted on one of the walls in massive letters. It was something like "its not what you gather, but what you scatter". I thought it was astoundingly ironic and also a pretty good example of how bad the Walton family is.

Yeah Walmarts tend to have portraits of Sam Walton hanging up with quotes everywhere and the irony is so incredible I'm amazed it doesn't erase the buildings from existence because that much irony can't possibly exist in one place.

The biggest one (which actually ended up being taken down while I worked there...imagine that!) was something to the effect of "the customer is the boss. The customer can fire everybody from the CEO own down by shopping elsewhere. How you treat your associates is how they'll treat your customers."

I wonder what possible issue the Walton kids could have with that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Is there anything about Sam's Club that's good? I've never been, having been a Costco member for years.

Ah, who am I kidding, it's just a bunch of Walmart poo poo in bulk, isn't it?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

You Are A Elf posted:

Is there anything about Sam's Club that's good? I've never been, having been a Costco member for years.

Ah, who am I kidding, it's just a bunch of Walmart poo poo in bulk, isn't it?

Sam's Club used to be "Walmart but more of a warehouse, less lovely, and in bulk." Because you had to buy a membership it was less painful to shop at as well.

Can't say what it's like now but the Waltons probably hosed it up too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Wal-Mart near me has started checking receipts before you leave. I know with places like Sam's Club and Costco that's a requirement you agree to when becoming a member. There's no legal requirement for you to wait in a line while an old as gently caress greeter ponders over your purchases, but in a membership warehouse situation they could revoke your access if you didn't consent. I have no idea what a regular store can do to enforce something like that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

yeah i have no problem understanding why retail employees dgaf about their job or helping me. customers suck and retail corporations are soul-destroying garbage. i manage to find what i need without demanding someone slobber my knob about it

I like my retail job. But this just reminds me that because of Starbucks I will never have the pleasure of watching Teavana shrivel up and die.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Krispy Kareem posted:

The Wal-Mart near me has started checking receipts before you leave. I know with places like Sam's Club and Costco that's a requirement you agree to when becoming a member. There's no legal requirement for you to wait in a line while an old as gently caress greeter ponders over your purchases, but in a membership warehouse situation they could revoke your access if you didn't consent. I have no idea what a regular store can do to enforce something like that.
The one near my old house does have a rent-a-cop checking receipts, but others tend to have no one at the front unless it's a very busy time

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

Nothing, honestly. The worst they could do is ban you from the store, but I doubt the employees would give enough of a gently caress to do that, let alone enforce it later.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Kareem posted:

The greeters used to do that if you were being suspicious like carrying stuff out not bagged or whatever. Or if you bought a gun or a TV or something. Theft is something that happens to every store but it ratcheted up something fierce when the recession hit. It became cheaper to hire a few people as "loss prevention" in a lot of places than it did to just eat the cost. It's pretty standard practice for stores in places with high enough crime rates to have a rent-a-cop or even a real cop there during peak hours.

No clue why theft spiked after the recession, though. Can't imagine any possible reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

My mom is at that age (i.e. old) where she thinks telling the cashier, "I'm never shopping here again!" means something. I told her customers used to tell me that and I never gave a drat and that the cashiers or people she tells it too don't care either.

I live in a town of about 28,000 or so and Wal-Mart is nearly our only option. I try and go to mom-and-pop stores whenever possible but it's not always an option. Luckily our downtown isn't completely gutted, like some towns. It's really hard moving from a city, where you have so many options to shop, to a place where there's Wal-Mart. I buy off the Internet a lot but sometimes you just want to go to a place where you can see the product.