Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The Shortest Path posted:

I think that was supposed to be an extremely sarcastic "joke" about how they would just die instead of being tortured first.

Ah, good. I was trying to get that collection of words to make sense and it wasn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

I was going to reply to the snide piece of poo poo who tried to condescend his way out of losing an argument, but instead,

there wolf posted:

And the person who said we should rely on the police is where?

Everyone is saying guns are a bad idea because suicidal tendencies are common enough among trans people, and having gun is often the difference between an attempt and an actual suicide. And we've brought up some alternate ideas like carrying mace or a baton, learning some self defense or taking up jogging so you can run away, and at this point even starting a community defense group of some sort. No one is trusting the state to protect our interests, but we're not freemen of the land either who assume just having a gun is going to make everyone bow down and respect us.

This right here. The moment the LGBT community arms up and GROUPS up, we'll be safer. Bigots are cowardly as gently caress, and unlikely to try to mass, as LGBT rights crossed the 50% approval mark close to a decade ago at this point. Thus, making it about attacking a community, rather than a person, makes it a lot less likely that some inbred piece of poo poo is going to try and take out his daddy issues on one of us, because that will end with him outnumbered and outgunned.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yo conservatives try and pull that "if everyone's armed no one would pull a gun on anyone" stuff and it's not going to work here either.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Black Panthers worked well, but being black does not significantly increase suicide risk from owning a gun so I do not think the same thing is advisable for us. Grouping up and banding together to protect each other is still a good idea but the gun ownership not so much.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Is there any good books or articles about the effect black panthers had? I'll be honest they seem almost mythologized. I know they ended up getting gun control laws passed because black people with guns are scary but what exists to show a demonstrable net positive for black rights?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of the black people that weren't killed by cops or the KKK because they had groups of armed dudes following them around, basically. It's a lot more than that but that bit alone was extremely important. I bet if you ask in the Negrotown thread Koalas or TB would love to point you to some good reading material, they'd know a hell of a lot better than I do.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Black Panthers worked well, but being black does not significantly increase suicide risk from owning a gun so I do not think the same thing is advisable for us. Grouping up and banding together to protect each other is still a good idea but the gun ownership not so much.

i mean yeah the panthers did a lot of good but if you're going to advocate armed resistance you should mention that the police killed a hell of a lot of panthers. not huey p. newton, admittedly, but still there was a lot of state reprisals that was part of what made the panthers not last in the long run. i don't think the new black panthers even follow the same playbook, but they have a lot of problems tbh

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

also because they were an organized group with defined goals that carried their weapons essentially 'on duty' in a visible and effective manner

essentially

Brainiac Five posted:

LGBT people forming armed vigilance committees and militias would be one thing, telling people to just buy a gun is another (especially since shooting someone in self-defense relies on the forbearance of the justice system, and pardon me for thinking that cops aren't gonna be hugely sympathetic to anyone other than a masc white gay/bi man shooting someone).

For actual self defense if you can get it in your state (can in CA, for sure) then you can get a small can of CS spray for 6 dollars on amazon and that'd be my recommendation (also what my gay jewish moms got)

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 10, 2017

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Senju Kannon posted:

i mean yeah the panthers did a lot of good but if you're going to advocate armed resistance you should mention that the police killed a hell of a lot of panthers. not huey p. newton, admittedly, but still there was a lot of state reprisals that was part of what made the panthers not last in the long run. i don't think the new black panthers even follow the same playbook, but they have a lot of problems tbh

The Black Panthers came from a different time. I don't think that armed citizen or police action against LGBT groups would have public support.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Being trans doesn't increase your suicide risk from owning a gun. Just your chances of success. Black people also increase their chances of successful suicide by having access to a gun, even if they're less likely as a demographic to attempt it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

The Black Panthers came from a different time. I don't think that armed citizen or police action against LGBT groups would have public support.

I wouldn't be so sure; we've already got states trying to pass laws to protect motorists who try to run down BLM protesters. It doesn't take much inconvenience for the public to turn rabid.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

there wolf posted:

Being trans doesn't increase your suicide risk from owning a gun. Just your chances of success. Black people also increase their chances of successful suicide by having access to a gun, even if they're less likely as a demographic to attempt it.

Err that's what I meant, yeah. I'm bad at phrasing things. My point was that arming a bunch of people with a much higher suicide attempt rate is going to be more of a problem in that regard.

There are a lot of other differences too, especially in that trans people are not generally living in large communities together so that kind of organization is hard.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

This right here. The moment the LGBT community arms up and GROUPS up, we'll be safer. Bigots are cowardly as gently caress, and unlikely to try to mass, as LGBT rights crossed the 50% approval mark close to a decade ago at this point. Thus, making it about attacking a community, rather than a person, makes it a lot less likely that some inbred piece of poo poo is going to try and take out his daddy issues on one of us, because that will end with him outnumbered and outgunned.

Um, I think this is one of the places where we do a disservice to everyone in the acronym by treating LGBT as a single cohesive group. People might be past 50% support for the most adorable and clean-cut gay couples' ability to get married, but lesbians are still often treated like they just need a good dicking from the right man to go straight, bi people are treated as invisible or worse, and trans people currently have psychopaths monitoring our bathroom activities lest we succumb to the allure of child flesh.

There are some rights and causes that unify us, but when you're talking about personal safety issues and public approval issues, the trans community has a long, long way to go to stack up with cute white gay dads in the JC Penney catalog or whatever.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I think that there are plenty of people who support gay marriage but wouldn't support making doxxing a dead letter by shooting doxxers, just like a substantial portion of white abolitionists immediately distanced themselves from John Brown and only rehabilitated him based on Southern responses to John Brown's trial.

Let alone an armed set of paramilitary organizations vowing to engage in vigilante justice.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

cis autodrag posted:

There are some rights and causes that unify us, but when you're talking about personal safety issues and public approval issues, the trans community has a long, long way to go to stack up with cute white gay dads in the JC Penney catalog or whatever.

Also, the most visible trans women are those who "pass" like Laverne Cox. Being able to go stealth is a luxury many trans women don't have. Hell, cis women who don't look feminine enough get harassed for being transgender.

Trans women who don't "pass" are relegated to the shadows. We don't want them out front for selfish reasons. They'll give the other side ammunition to use in memes and Facebook posts (Is this what you want next to your daughters?) only it will be real not made up propaganda. I hate it and it is so very wrong, but I'm also very conflicted. I want people to accept that trans women and cis women are both women.
You want to know what's really sad? I'm a trans woman and I pass as a dumpy, homely middle-aged woman. I really don't want to hang out with other transgender women because I don't want anyone to know I'm transgender other than my family, friends, and doctors. My wife and I are treated as a same-sex couple by everybody and it's perfect. Why mess it up with something as political as being transgender? I really want to know because I know I'm not alone. People who have privilege are loathe to step outside their comfort zone and risk giving it up.

And, as always, trans men don't exist.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

I wouldn't be so sure; we've already got states trying to pass laws to protect motorists who try to run down BLM protesters. It doesn't take much inconvenience for the public to turn rabid.

Those laws seem to be roundly rejected by all but the most incurable fascists.

cis autodrag posted:

Um, I think this is one of the places where we do a disservice to everyone in the acronym by treating LGBT as a single cohesive group. People might be past 50% support for the most adorable and clean-cut gay couples' ability to get married, but lesbians are still often treated like they just need a good dicking from the right man to go straight, bi people are treated as invisible or worse, and trans people currently have psychopaths monitoring our bathroom activities lest we succumb to the allure of child flesh.

I'd be very interested in seeing the response if it's framed as a "protecting our own with the All-Powerful and Glorious Second Amendment without GUBMINT interference". At the very least, they frothing right wing lunatics would get called their hypocrisy if they had a problem with gay bashers getting bashed back, given that they tug their crooked, flaccid, little dicks raw every time some inbred farmer decides to turn his trailer into The Independent Nation of Dumbfuckistan.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'd be very interested in seeing the response if it's framed as a "protecting our own with the All-Powerful and Glorious Second Amendment without GUBMINT interference". At the very least, they frothing right wing lunatics would get called their hypocrisy if they had a problem with gay bashers getting bashed back, given that they tug their crooked, flaccid, little dicks raw every time some inbred farmer decides to turn his trailer into The Independent Nation of Dumbfuckistan.

They already get called on their hypocrisy on everything else and it never matters. :smith:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

ToxicFrog posted:

They already get called on their hypocrisy on everything else and it never matters. :smith:

In this case, though, I remember a few pro-gun nuts claiming that LGBT people should arm themselves, so it's less "Well, let me clarify my position" and more "...OK, I said that, but I just wanted to score points on a national tragedy, not actually see it happen! :qq:"

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Your optimism is inspiring, but I'm going to keep expecting the worst all the same. It didn't take much for enough people to be willing overlook incurable facism in a presidential candidate, and I really don't expect much better out of the general public on this subject, either.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I think you'd see a lot of queer people get shot by hillbillies claiming that the queer person was menacing them and they had to stand their ground.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

cis autodrag posted:

I think you'd see a lot of queer people get shot by hillbillies claiming that the queer person was menacing them and they had to stand their ground.

Gay panic becomes an acceptable legal defense again.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

hangedman1984 posted:

Shorten it to just "panic" and you're pretty close to most stand your ground defenses already.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

cis autodrag posted:

We're getting shot anyway. I'm good with shooting back.

Feel free to try and hug it out with the fascists, though.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

We're getting shot anyway. I'm good with shooting back.

Feel free to try and hug it out with the fascists, though.

Settle down, Beavis.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

We're getting shot anyway.

That isn't guaranteed though? While the number is alarming it's still not the majority or anything. You should use the life you have to make a meaningful improvement to the situation rather than dreaming of the day you get to gun down some rednecks in a blaze of glory, because it probably wont work that way.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
South Dakota sez: it's ok for a government-funded agency to discriminate as long as it's for religious reasons! https://www.aclusd.org/en/news/governor-daugaard-signs-discriminatory-senate-bill-149

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Brainiac Five posted:

Settle down, Beavis.

Nah.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hangedman1984 posted:

In Queensland, it never stopped :sigh:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
come see my cover band Gay Panic! At The Disco next saturday.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

cis autodrag posted:

So Panic! At The Disco? :v:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cis autodrag posted:

Man, if it wasn't for the lovely legal history that really would be a pretty kickass band name. :sigh:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

If you aren't listening to PWR BTTM you're doing it wrong.

Queer punk is one of the only punk sub-genres that has really survived the transition to the 21st century.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Keeshhound posted:

Man, if it wasn't for the lovely legal history that really would be a pretty kickass band name. :sigh:

If we want to go darker, I could name my queercore band Twinkie Defense.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

If you aren't listening to PWR BTTM you're doing it wrong.

Queer punk is one of the only punk sub-genres that has really survived the transition to the 21st century.

I loving love pwr bttm. Dairy Queen is the best song.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
About the "why white gays" argument 2 pages back; transphobic cis minority queers (and non-queers) get just as annoyingly defensive at the implication that they're transphobic. And if I had a dollar for every non-white (or even specifically non-anglo) transphobe who justifies it with "you wouldn't see trannies in MY culture/ethnic group/country of origin" or some poo poo, I'd probably be able to pay for srs in loonies.

Basically it's possible to be a shithead towards groups outside your own minority group and still be a minority. There's good reasons to treat white gay dudes with suspicion, but singling them out for transphobia is pretty lol.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Agnosticnixie posted:

About the "why white gays" argument 2 pages back; transphobic cis minority queers (and non-queers) get just as annoyingly defensive at the implication that they're transphobic. And if I had a dollar for every non-white (or even specifically non-anglo) transphobe who justifies it with "you wouldn't see trannies in MY culture/ethnic group/country of origin" or some poo poo, I'd probably be able to pay for srs in loonies.

Basically it's possible to be a shithead towards groups outside your own minority group and still be a minority. There's good reasons to treat white gay dudes with suspicion, but singling them out for transphobia is pretty lol.

There are transphobic people who are transgender, especially if they "pass" really well. It's everywhere right now to be honest.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Aleph Null posted:

There are transphobic people who are transgender, especially if they "pass" really well. It's everywhere right now to be honest.

Self loathing of that sort is different (also it has little to do with passing specifically, you just have to look at poo poo that was happening 10 years ago with Susan Stanton or the reaction of former older transitioner du jour Renee Richards to someone new who largely fit the same mold taking the limelight)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Aleph Null posted:

There are transphobic people who are transgender

on these very forums even.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
Culture at large is transphobic.

Humans pick up the values of the surrounding culture(s), even if they disagree with them.

So everyone is transphobic.

The important thing to do, is to recognize and fight against this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thalantos posted:

Culture at large is transphobic.

Humans pick up the values of the surrounding culture(s), even if they disagree with them.

So everyone is transphobic.

The important thing to do, is to recognize and fight against this.

I tend not to think of transphobia out of ignorance as the same thing, as it can generally be corrected. I'm thinking only of people who hold a genuine hatred in their hearts for transgender people.

• Locked thread