Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I always thought Goddess (and Infinity Crusade as a whole) was just Infinity too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
(attacked by Pip the Troll, changed to salt)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Magus have a fro?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Magus have a fro?

Yes, originally, although it got turned into a topknot around the time of the Infinity Whatever series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Knowing that in the future you're doomed to turn into an evil despot is a pretty interesting gimmick, and Abnett and Lanning used it really well in Guardians of the Galaxy. Adam Warlock stories can get a bit up their own rear end, especially Infinity Crusade and other late-era Starlin stuff, but he was always a very interesting character and central to a lot of Starlin's best work, just like Thanos (although Adam's design isn't quite as timeless as his evil bosom buddy's).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't Warlock sacrifice the timelines where he stays good to stop the Cancerverse or something? I remember that getting really weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Didn't Warlock

Sort of, you're getting two storylines mixed up, but that's spoilers and I was avoiding getting into specifics because it's a really good run!!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
warlock is a strange dude who has had a strange life

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That page sounds a little too much like the "that's good!" / "that's bad" frozen yogurt routine on the Simpsons.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you want to complicate Warlock's family tree even more, don't forget Greg Pak's 2004 miniseries (which, IIRC, was canceled after two issues; four were published).

I think the idea of Adam having to act as a mentor to a younger, angrier version of himself is the most interesting thing anyone has done with Warlock in about a quarter century, so of course it was promptly forgotten the moment the last issue of the Pak series went off to the pulping machine.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

If you're only familiar with Adam and the Magus from poo poo like the Infinity garbage (Gauntlet is a fun read but the rest are some of the worst trash Marvel has ever put out) do yourself a favor and read Starlin's Warlock comics, top tier superhero work.

Selachian posted:

Yes, originally, although it got turned into a topknot around the time of the Infinity Whatever series.

He got long metal hair when he was in Peter David's Captain Marvel, and was also some kind of ghost. He always has the douchiest haircut of the current era

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Selachian posted:

If you want to complicate Warlock's family tree even more, don't forget Greg Pak's 2004 miniseries (which, IIRC, was canceled after two issues; four were published).

I think the idea of Adam having to act as a mentor to a younger, angrier version of himself is the most interesting thing anyone has done with Warlock in about a quarter century, so of course it was promptly forgotten the moment the last issue of the Pak series went off to the pulping machine.

No, do forget that.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

oh my loving god

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I read that Doughboy introduction arc last night and I just want to say that after that image everyone gets inside Doughboy who transforms into a supersonic UFO to take them all to Zola's bio-engineered living castle where Captain America has to battle an automaton driven by Hitler's brain to prevent Zola from taking his Face Off.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ghostlight posted:

I read that Doughboy introduction arc last night and I just want to say that after that image everyone gets inside Doughboy who transforms into a supersonic UFO to take them all to Zola's bio-engineered living castle where Captain America has to battle an automaton driven by Hitler's brain to prevent Zola from taking his Face Off.

Comic books are really loving dumb.

Isn't it great?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Back when Adam Warlock was just Him (a golden muscle man in a speedo), he kidnapped Sif, deeming her a perfect mate. Thor went berserk with the warrior madness, and beat Him so badly, he had to return to his cocoon. The punishment for losing his godly cool, Odin sent Thor to investigate Galactus in the Odinship; Odin's personal space ship.

It was a great, early cosmic Marvel saga, but really not that crazy as far as Kirby could get.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Doughboy and Joyboy need to team up

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

CLAREMONT!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus, that may be the most Deviantart set of panels I've ever seen

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if Alan Davis thought Claremont or Moore was a weirder guy to collaborate with.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Isn't this the same creator who made Karma (?) really fat and working for Cameron Hodge or some other villain?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rirse posted:

Isn't this the same creator who made Karma (?) really fat and working for Cameron Hodge or some other villain?

Amahl Farouk, the Shadow King.

And for the record, I think too much is assigned to "Claremont sure has a lot of crazy fetishes" and not enough to him just tapping into the dreams and anxieties of his target audience.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Claremont did the storyline where Karma was possessed by the Shadow King and while he controlled her she got really fat. Then he did that from Excalibur.

Though really this ranks extremely low both in terms of frequency/depth of recurring fetish-y/body horror/whatever things that crop up in Claremont's X-Canon. Like barely a footnote.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

And for the record, I think too much is assigned to "Claremont sure has a lot of crazy fetishes" and not enough to him just tapping into the dreams and anxieties of his target audience.

Yeah, he's just doing a PG-rated spin on body horror, which has been a big part of Marvel since the jump. Ben Grimm is basically a Kafka character.

Claremont gets a lot of poo poo because he's probably the most visible creator of the period, but let's face it: many of the best comics in the period surrounding his heyday were all just about as weird, especially if we're also talking about indies and early Vertigo. Howard Chaykin is almost as bad as Claremont when it comes to writing a barely-concealed version of his rich inner landscape, but he doesn't have Claremont's profile.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Claremont did the storyline where Karma was possessed by the Shadow King and while he controlled her she got really fat. Then he did that from Excalibur.

Though really this ranks extremely low both in terms of frequency/depth of recurring fetish-y/body horror/whatever things that crop up in Claremont's X-Canon. Like barely a footnote.

It's almost like teenagers have weird things happening to their bodies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, that's the bit where Cyclops gets into a shouting match with the caption boxes.
I used to get this book about comics from the library where they upheld that sequence as one of the first examples of serious personal drama in superhero comics and I guess including the part where it becomes the catalyst for a one-issue throwaway threat would have watered down the message.

Lately I've been thinking about making some particularly good pages into mini posters and this one's going right on the short list.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 18, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, he's just doing a PG-rated spin on body horror, which has been a big part of Marvel since the jump. Ben Grimm is basically a Kafka character.

Claremont gets a lot of poo poo because he's probably the most visible creator of the period, but let's face it: many of the best comics in the period surrounding his heyday were all just about as weird, especially if we're also talking about indies and early Vertigo. Howard Chaykin is almost as bad as Claremont when it comes to writing a barely-concealed version of his rich inner landscape, but he doesn't have Claremont's profile.

Come to think of it, there was actually a fair amount of body horror in Technet. Aside from Joyboy, you also had...

Chinadoll shrank living things and turned them into wearable charms.
Bodybag paralyzed and stored people by eating them.
Waxworks' touch made people not have skeletal structures

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Day 34: Zero

If you remember Zero at all chances are it's from reading way too many X-Books in the '90s. He was basically the chauffeur for Stryfe and the Mutant Liberation Front and that's pretty much it. Oh yeah, he's also an android but I'm pretty sure when this was written that hadn't been revealed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I feel like a teleporter, even the type that needs to first create a portal then step through it, should get an asterisk at least for speed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Can teleport to anywhere he's never been" is pretty neat I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I feel like a teleporter, even the type that needs to first create a portal then step through it, should get an asterisk at least for speed.

The Marvel wiki agrees.

http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Ambient-Energy_Dampening_Actualization_Module_Unit_Zero_(Earth-4935)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pretty sure those 90s trading cards used a similar asterisk.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Synthbuttrange posted:

"Can teleport to anywhere he's never been" is pretty neat I guess.

It says cannot, but I agree. I always liked when mutants would have a special twist on an otherwise stock power. Like Lila Cheney's teleportation: she can go to another planet with ease, but going to another place on the same planet isn't really her thing.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 19, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I made an X-Men ABC book when I was in third grade in like 93'-94', and Zero saved my rear end at the end. Only knew he existed because of a Mutant Liberation Front card.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

HitTheTargets posted:

It says cannot, but I agree. I always liked when mutants would have a special twist on an otherwise stock power. Like Lila Cheney's teleportation: she can go to another planet with ease, but going to another place on the same planet isn't really her thing.

I feel like these sort of quirks were more common when writers were big on whipping up elaborate pseudoscience bullshit to justify how random genetic mutation could, say, let somebody teleport to a Hell-adjacent pocket dimension, which is another reason why I wish that was still a big thing.

Of course, it could also just be that there's like ~100 mutants left and they all have relatively straightforward power sets.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think they were also more common when there was a concerted attempt to avoid overpowered characters in the Marvel universe, to avoid the perceived problems at DC. Even heavy hitters like Hulk and Thor were saddled with weaknesses for that specific reason. Kitty Pryde used to have to hold her breath to stay intangible, giving her a time limit on the ability because otherwise it would be really, really overpowered. That sort of idea that no one can be too powerful has faded away in the last 20+ years.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

Day 34: Zero

If you remember Zero at all chances are it's from reading way too many X-Books in the '90s. He was basically the chauffeur for Stryfe and the Mutant Liberation Front and that's pretty much it. Oh yeah, he's also an android but I'm pretty sure when this was written that hadn't been revealed.

First thought on seeing him was that he was the big guy from the Batman Beyond version of the Royal Flush Gang.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Cabbit posted:

I feel like these sort of quirks were more common when writers were big on whipping up elaborate pseudoscience bullshit to justify how random genetic mutation could, say, let somebody teleport to a Hell-adjacent pocket dimension, which is another reason why I wish that was still a big thing.

Of course, it could also just be that there's like ~100 mutants left and they all have relatively straightforward power sets.

I haven't thought about it much, but I always assumed it was just as much a Claremontism as the body modification and "No quarter asked."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Kitty Pryde used to have to hold her breath to stay intangible, giving her a time limit on the ability because otherwise it would be really, really overpowered. That sort of idea that no one can be too powerful has faded away in the last 20+ years.
I didn't know that, but The Hood had to hold his breath in order to stay invisible and intangible.

• Locked thread