Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Spellman posted:

I'm guessing they want to evolve the Switch's interface beyond All Your Games Listed Horizontally In One Line before they dump entire libraries of VC games onto the store

whats wrong with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I just started playing Binding of Isaac via my physical copy when I was rudely reminded that it doesn't work with the Pro Controller.

I thought I read that it'd been patched to support it, but I can't figure out how to download updates for the physical edition.

Is there a Pro Controller patch, and does anyone know how to get it on the physical edition?

Edit Looks like I'm a dumb-dumb. If you press -/+ on the Home Screen with the title in question selected, it comes up with title-specific options. Including Update From Internet.

Hammer Bro. fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 19, 2017

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I just started playing Binding of Isaac via my physical copy when I was rudely reminded that it doesn't work with the Pro Controller.

I thought I read that it'd been patched to support it, but I can't figure out how to download updates for the physical edition.

Is there a Pro Controller patch, and does anyone know how to get it on the physical edition?

It asked me for an update the first time I tried to launch it, and the pro controller works fine.

If it didn't, hit the + button with the game highlighted and it should give you an option to update.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I bought a decent looking RAVPower power bank that only outputs fron USB A because I was trying to be cheap. I just tested it and playing Zelda with brightness most of the way up, the Switch battery stays mostly stable, dropping about 1 percent every half hour. On the home screen it slowly charges. This isn't ideal, but is fine for my needs. My question is, is this bad for the Switch or its battery? I feel like constantly running a charge and slowly discharging will "wear" the battery faster, but I'm just a layman. Is it OK for me to use this thing?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Me in 2006: Nintendo would be drowning in money if they just dumped their whole catalog on the Wii virtual console.

Me in 2013: Nintendo would be drowning in money if they just dumped their whole catalog on the Wii U virtual console.

Me in 2017: Nintendo would be drowning in money if they just dumped their whole catalog on the Switch virtual console.

Me in 2024: I'm so glad the AmazonSonyApple Conglomerate bought out Nintendo so now I can play every Nintendo game on my iGlassStation Fire HD.

Are there any actual Nintendo-owned games that have never been released on Virtual Console (I mean pre-GameCube)? I'd imagine the reason a ton of stuff isn't available is because of rights issues.

The reason GameCube stuff wasn't available was probably because the Wii was backwards compatible but I have no excuse for why it wasn't on the Wii U other than the fact that like 2 dozen people actually bought one which if you're Nintendo is actually a good excuse since the return on investment is probably non existent.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Are there any actual Nintendo-owned games that have never been released on Virtual Console (I mean pre-GameCube)? I'd imagine the reason a ton of stuff isn't available is because of rights issues.

The reason GameCube stuff wasn't available was probably because the Wii was backwards compatible but I have no excuse for why it wasn't on the Wii U other than the fact that like 2 dozen people actually bought one which if you're Nintendo is actually a good excuse since the return on investment is probably non existent.

There was a dude working some low level Treehouse-type job who said this was the exact reason in an interview and then got fired, it was a whole thing a year or two ago because it was his lifelong dream to work at Nintendo and people felt bad for him.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 19, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Is anyone playing Dragonquest Heroes II right now from the Japan store? Doesn't it have english subs? If so how is it?

Which Japanese store games that aren't available in US yet have good english language applications?

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 19, 2017

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Still riding that Nintendo Switch high, I strolled into the store yesterday, palm-slapped my money on the counter, and left with a copy of Binding of Isaac.

And...I'm not into it. Everyone seems to love this game so I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

Is there some secret to getting into this game?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

There was a dude working some low level Treehouse-type job who said this was the exact reason in an interview and then got fired, it was a whole thing a year or two ago because it was his lifelong dream to work at Nintendo and people felt bad for him.

Wow. I didn't know that. Thanks.

I mean, it wouldn't be cheap. They'd either need to design, test, manufacture, and release a GameCube specific controller for the WiiU/Switch (and the downside of this is that you're limiting the GC games to only those who buy the new hardware), or completely remap every GC game for the WiiU/Switch which isn't as easy as it sounds since the GC Controller had analog triggers and the WiiU/Switch don't and you have to compensate for that somehow.

Either choice is a huge pain in the rear end and I'd imagine they weren't willing to go through that for the WiiU. If the Switch continues to sell well, they will do it. But I completely understand why they haven't until now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
They DID release the GameCube Adapter and start a whole manufacturing process for Gamecube controllers, all for Smash (and thank god they did!), but they probably didn't want to sell digital games that required an additional, non-included controller that seemed arbitrary.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I mean, they could just reuse the gamecube adapter they made for the Wii U, since the TV dock has two USB ports on it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Macintosh HD posted:

And...I'm not into it. Everyone seems to love this game so I'm not sure what's wrong with me.

It's not for everyone. I wouldn't call it a must-have or anything, as you have to learn to roll with the punches.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Music Theory posted:

I mean, they could just reuse the gamecube adapter they made for the Wii U, since the TV dock has two USB ports on it.

Presumably these will print money again when super switch bros comes out.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Music Theory posted:

That means no portable mode compatability unless they release an Adapter Adapter for USB-C.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Is anyone playing Dragonquest Heroes II right now from the Japan store? Doesn't it have english subs? If so how is it?

Which Japanese store games that aren't available in US yet have good english language applications?

Isn't there a demo for it on the Japanese Store? I'm still planning on buying it on my PS4 after seeing the frame rate drops on the Switch version. Unless they can release some patch that optimizes it to run at a solid 30fps, but the digital foundry video showed that it basically runs the PS3 version's level of assets at 1080p but has drops into the low 20s regularly.

I'd be fine with the lower graphics quality compared to the PS4, but the drops in the low 20fps range on that type of game would be too frustrating for me. The Vita version never dropped below 25fps and stayed at 30fps better (but is running an even lower quality version at a lower resolution).

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

Macintosh HD posted:

Still riding that Nintendo Switch high, I strolled into the store yesterday, palm-slapped my money on the counter, and left with a copy of Binding of Isaac.

What do you not like about it? I've never played it and have a pre-order ready to pick up right now but any info that can help me decide if I should get it or not would be helpful.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

That means no portable mode compatability unless they release an Adapter Adapter for USB-C.

That's true, but even with that you'd have to carry around the adapter and at least one gamecube controller, which feels like too much for portable mode anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Music Theory posted:

That's true, but even with that you'd have to carry around the adapter and at least one gamecube controller, which feels like too much for portable mode anyway.

buddy if they release an Adapter Adapter for smash 4 switch you better believe that hodgepodge is in my bag 100% of the time

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

you open your bag to get your laptop or something and gamecube controllers just start pouring out of it

"i, uh, i'm going to a smash tournament after this"

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
*has an iPhone 7* I don't know guys adapters just don't seem good

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Wait, they could just make a bluetooth wavebird, since the joycons use bluetooth too.

agscala
Jul 12, 2008

A big part of enjoying Isaac is the enjoying the learning process. It's sort of a puzzle to figure out what a lot of the items are doing (good and bad), and then it's a learning process figuring out how to best combine items and make the most of your current situation. It's also really hard. Sometimes you get hosed by an item and that ends your run and you have to start over. If any of these things don't appeal to you, you probably won't like Isaac

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DoctorWhat posted:

They DID release the GameCube Adapter and start a whole manufacturing process for Gamecube controllers, all for Smash (and thank god they did!), but they probably didn't want to sell digital games that required an additional, non-included controller that seemed arbitrary.

Most virtual console games on the Wii require an additional, non-included controller.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

InFlames235 posted:

What do you not like about it? I've never played it and have a pre-order ready to pick up right now but any info that can help me decide if I should get it or not would be helpful.

It is an ok game. I am not a huge fan, and definitely would not pay $40 for it. Maybe $9.99 at most. I do get sucked into playing it more than I thought I would, but still not a huge fan. You will die a lot in it, and the game randomly generates its levels each play through, so when you die the 2nd to last level, you have to start over with no set path. On paper, I would think I would quit after the 2nd time dying, and I usually last 4 times before saying gently caress this and putting it down. I think being able to only shoot in 4 directions vs 8 is my biggest gripe.

It is great for playing on the toilet, and the humor in it matches.

You may love it, but I dunno. Paying $40 for it seems kinda steep unless you really want the physical edition and were already a fan of it. You can get it on PC for much cheaper, I got my Vita version for free on PS+.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah literally zero of that appeals to me.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Just saw that Battle Princess Madelyn is coming to the Switch at some point. Looks neat, Ghost N Goblins meets John Wick.

DoctorWhat posted:

buddy if they release an Adapter Adapter for smash 4 switch you better believe that hodgepodge is in my bag 100% of the time

That officially licensed Switch messenger bag/purse is looking better and better, huh?

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 19, 2017

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

InFlames235 posted:

There's quite a bit I don't like about it. I think it plays very slow. It creates a feeling that I'm very weak and struggling against the enemies. I usually enjoy a nice balance with that -- I don't want a game to make the enemies feel trivial but I also don't want to constantly feel like my back is against the wall.

I also think it's a little expensive for a game I don't really care for. I realize it's the enhanced version or whatever, along with all the DLC, and it's not a terrible deal compared to the PC price, but I don't feel like my money was well spent.

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, I think my biggest issue is how it makes me feel like I'm ill-equipped to deal with the enemies. It's not a fun thing for me. I'm constantly moving backwards from them.

EDIT: After a death, which can come quickly, I'm inclined to just shrug my shoulders and go do something else. I don't like to trade in games because it's a huge rip-off but I might trade this one.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 19, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Most virtual console games on the Wii require an additional, non-included controller.

Their internal numbers may show that these games don't sell anywhere near as well as games that don't require special hardware. It probably didn't matter on the Wii since they sold over 100 million of them. Even a 10% buy rate on that was a ton of money.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess it all depends on whether or not Nintendo thinks it is worth it to do GC virtual console with the adapter, just do HD remasters of their best gamecube games, or not even bother at all. In the end, I still have my Wii and a gamecube controller. I can always just buy gamecube games. I have a feeling that even though Nintendo knows we want GC virtual console, they won't bother. Apparently the WiiU is able to play gamecube games natively but Nintendo disables it.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 19, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it all depends on whether or not Nintendo thinks it is worth it to do GC virtual console with the adapter, just do HD remasters of their best gamecube games, or not even bother at all. In the end, I still have my Wii and a gamecube controller. I can always just buy gamecube games. I have a feeling that even though Nintendo knows we want GC virtual console, they won't bother. Apparently the WiiU is able to play gamecube games natively but Nintendo disables it.

Despite what anybody says, Nintendo isn't going to do anything out of charity or anything out of spite. If they release a GC virtual console or GC Switch remasters, it will be because they expect it to make them money. My guess is they will do a GC virtual console with a special GC controller. The eshop already has a category in each game description for controller support, and there are already Switch games that are requiring one input/controller over another. It won't be unique or unusual for them to require a special controller for certain VC games if they're already doing it for standard Switch games.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
BoI owns bigly. It has unlimited replay value. Stick with it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How many GC games require the controller though?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

How many GC games require the controller though?

Right, just map the buttons to the joycons/pro controller and support the previous GC adapter from the WiiU. Maybe release cheaper joycon replacements that have GC button scheme minus HD rumble, gyros, etc.

That reminds me, I need to get a second wavebird controller to go with my extra receiver.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Music Theory posted:

you open your bag to get your laptop or something and gamecube controllers just start pouring out of it

"i, uh, i'm going to a smash tournament after this"

this has happened multiple times in my life over the past two years.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
How do you handle analog trigger usage in games like Super Mario Sunshine if you're using the Switch Pro Controller that has digital triggers? You're literally completely changing the gameplay.

I know that's only one example but it's also Nintendo's #1 franchise so it's kind of important to think about.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

beergod posted:

BoI owns bigly. It has unlimited replay value. Stick with it.

counterpoint: if it doesn't click it doesn't click. That said,

Macintosh HD posted:

There's quite a bit I don't like about it. I think it plays very slow. It creates a feeling that I'm very weak and struggling against the enemies. I usually enjoy a nice balance with that -- I don't want a game to make the enemies feel trivial but I also don't want to constantly feel like my back is against the wall.

For this aspect explicitly, usually the first couple of floors tend to feel like this unless you get lucky (since, you know, roguelike). A lot of the replayability comes from figuring out what item does what, what item interacts with other items, and then using that to horribly horribly break the game; the rest of the game is "surviving the bits where you can barely poke enemies to death before that point".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

People don't actually if you show off gamer stuff in real life. This isn't a sitcom. They just go "what's that for" and just nod when you tell them.

I say that as someone with social anxiety. I don't understand why this is something people worry about. I had my Switch with me the other day and the only comment I got about it was "What kind of tablet is that?"

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
I'm glad I got the background on this game because what I'm hearing personally doesn't appeal to me. I guess I thought it was more like a story-based game that you played from start to finish and not an endless randomly generated set of levels.

I think I might not pick up the game and use the $40 on I Am Setsuna instead. Sounds like it may be more up my alley.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Can we talk about I'm Setsuna?

Nobody should buy that for full price, ever.
It's not very good or interesting. The combat is the most tedious, boring thing and the story is nonsensical. Chrono Trigger was fun due to multitechs, this actually lacks those majorly. Enjoy spamming the same attack for 50% of the game.

It invokes Nostalgia for better games and will never ever come close.

Don't buy this for more than 20 Bucks, and even then you might regret it pretty hard.

There's RPG Maker Stuff that is more varied or thought out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

InFlames235 posted:

I'm glad I got the background on this game because what I'm hearing personally doesn't appeal to me. I guess I thought it was more like a story-based game that you played from start to finish and not an endless randomly generated set of levels.

Not even a little bit. There's technically probably 10-15 "endings", but it's more of a "tangentially connected surreal ending sequence, make your own interpretations" kind of deal and getting all of them takes dozens of completed playthroughs even if you know exactly what characters at what difficulty levels are involved, and that was before the AB+ stuff that I never got around to.

Basically if you don't enjoy the gameplay itself you're not going to get anything out of this game.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can we talk about I'm Setsuna?

Nobody should buy that for full price, ever.
It's not very good or interesting. The combat is the most tedious, boring thing and the story is nonsensical. Chrono Trigger was fun due to multitechs, this actually lacks those majorly. Enjoy spamming the same attack for 50% of the game.

It invokes Nostalgia for better games and will never ever come close.

Don't buy this for more than 20 Bucks, and even then you might regret it pretty hard.

There's RPG Maker Stuff that is more varied or thought out

Good to know that my avoidance of it paid off.

• Locked thread