Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Started rewatching some 30 Rock. I forgot how good Jane Krakowski was in it. I can't think of too many actresses who would be able to ace that character (maybe Sweet Dee).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I heard it had originally been intended for Rachel Dratch, but the network pushed for someone prettier and refused Tina Fey's pleas.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
It was about ten pages back, but I was totally caught up in the pricing of cable and what everyone was spending on poo poo, and finally I called up Verizon Fios, (which generally takes me a good martini or a valium to deal with. They are LITERALLY the worst company on earth)

but I finally did it, and I just wanted to lower my $225/month internet and cable deal to something lower at all. I don't even use my cable boxes at all. One is the HD-DVR for the basement which is generally where I watch TV, but I hadn't realized that it had been so long that I'd tried to use it, that it didn't actually work on the one night that I tried (SNL). There is an HD-DVR in my living room, and my ex-husband used to watch that during dinner and just generally anytime but I have guests over for dinner in the dining room like once every 2 months. This is a stupid thing to be paying for. And then there is my "roommate's dvr" and I haven't actually had one for a year now, so all that time so I've been paying $15/month for a box that is shoved under the bed.

I tried to tell them all this poo poo, but unfortunately literally at the same time, I had plumbers coming over to fix my shower shooting water into my kitchen so I was trying to make it fast, and the rear end in a top hat on the other end started out as a nice guy but gradually shifted into the total butt-hole that I was expecting from Verizon as I attempted to lower my services in a bit of a hurry.

He dropped my HBO/SHOWTIME apparently but my last bill was still $220. I don't' have a legal car (it's not a Fast and furious window TINT problem. it didn't pass inspection because of a messed up wheel, and I'm tired of making it barely pass lol, so I'm working on buying a new car) but I told him that I can't take the boxes to the Verizon store which is like 20 miles away. He said he would send some pre-paid boxes. That has not happened. That was two weeks ago.

I have the -2 generations of HD DVRS. They don't work. They are slow as poo poo even if they do. manage to work They're at LEAST 10-13 years old. I should not have to drive 20 miles or pay the freight cost of these heavy pieces of machinery to get them off my bill. I HATE YOU FIOS. Please don't screw up my internet which is super rad and I love it. I'm like a beaten wife. You screw me every month with your horrible cable bill but you don't really MEAN IT RIGHT? but you're such a NICE internet provider...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pan Dulce posted:

I heard it had originally been intended for Rachel Dratch, but the network pushed for someone prettier and refused Tina Fey's pleas.

Rachel Dratch is loving hilarious and deserves a starting role in prime time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-Files has transformed into Law and Order for this episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a TiVo and clicked a few links online to change my cable package and my combined FiOS/internet bill is $110 / month.

That's my FiOS story, not as exciting.

Oh, when I wanted to switch to my own router which meant switching on the ethernet port on the ONT I asked them to do it in online chat and they did it a minute later. Guess that's the same level of excitement.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Lmao, Mulder's gonna die like David Carradine, according to this guy who can predict people's deaths.
You know there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified one than auto-erotic asphyxiation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Caught up on Halt and Catch Fire over the past few days, glad the show just keeps getting better, hope they stick the landing in the final season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Speaking of AMC shows, Into The Badlands returns for it's second season tonight.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pan Dulce posted:

I believe the original pilot was shot with Dratch in the role. Krakowski is so good though, she just handled whatever they threw at her.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I believe the original pilot was shot with Dratch in the role. Krakowski is so good though, she just handled whatever they threw at her.

Which she learned how to do by escaping from Mickey Rourke's sex dungeon.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bentacos posted:

Which she learned how to do by escaping from Mickey Rourke's sex dungeon.

Okay, I can't do this anymore. I've never met Mickey Rourke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For some reason I can't entirely explain I've been watching Last Man on Earth on Hulu. And I hate it but I just kept watching because it was something to have on in the background. But then it started to slowly improve as more characters showed up and took more of the story and Will Forte starts to take it down a few notches. And I actually kind of started to enjoy it.

So then almost immediately Jason Sudaekis shows up and Forte is right back to intolerable again.

Is it possible to like a show except for hating the star and creative force behind it?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

STAC Goat posted:

Is it possible to like a show except for hating the star and creative force behind it?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Started rewatching some 30 Rock. I forgot how good Jane Krakowski was in it. I can't think of too many actresses who would be able to ace that character (maybe Sweet Dee).
It remains my favorite show of all time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

If you read the leaked pilot script, she was a very different character, but yes, this is basically what happened.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I don't get how Dunham can be so aware about how Hannah comes off in the show but so unaware about her real life actions

which reminds me did we talk about how bad the latest Schumer special was yet because HOLY CRAP IT SUCKS

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's why it has 1 star on Netflix.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you read the leaked pilot script, she was a very different character, but yes, this is basically what happened.

They made a pilot with Dratch (here's a sample the full version is floating around...)

The network execs were right.

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 19, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I read something about Reddit alt-righters teaming up to give it one star but they clearly didn't need to because maaaan it stinks so bad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I still would have liked to see more Rachel Dratch though. Also it's weird that Fey and Poehler were never on each other's shows, despite airing around the same time.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

The star ratings Netflix displays are what their recommendation algorithm thinks you will rate the show, not an aggregate of everyone else's votes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guy Mann posted:

The star ratings Netflix displays are what their recommendation algorithm thinks you will rate the show, not an aggregate of everyone else's votes.

What? How does that even work?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also it's weird that Fey and Poehler were never on each other's shows, despite airing around the same time.

Poehler guested on 30 Rock season 6 ep 19.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

GreenNight posted:

What? How does that even work?

It only shows you the ratings provided by people with similar viewing histories to you and similar demographic data. Incidentally Netflix announced last week that they're moving to a simple thumbs up/down system (they're already using it in a lot of the new countries they've rolled out to and are seeing a bunch more engagement).

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 19, 2017

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Escobarbarian posted:

I read something about Reddit alt-righters teaming up to give it one star but they clearly didn't need to because maaaan it stinks so bad

That's been a very convenient excuse by Schumer and others for the poor rating. And to be fair there's a ton of reviews for the special that are blatantly about her rather than the product.

However...

It's bad. I like Schumer. I like her show, I liked TRAINWRECK but this is real bad. There are moments where she is clearly pausing to allow laughter and there isn't any.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Krakowski is such a pro. I remember on one of their live shows, she was the only one who didn't fumble or crack up on either coast showings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blunt posted:

It only shows you the ratings provided by people with similar viewing histories to you and similar demographic data. Incidentally Netflix announced last week that they're moving to a simple thumbs up/down system (they're already using it in a lot of the new countries they've rolled out to and are seeing a bunch more engagement).

See, I actually liked the Netflix star system and though the "its not actual a rating system, its what they think you like" criticism was dumb. Because really its "Its not a rating based on everyone who watched it, its a rating based off of people who liked the things you liked and disliked the things you liked." Which is probably a way more accurate way to figure out what I'll like.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ten episodes in and Iron Fist has got more fun. There's been less focus on corporate stuff and an increase in mystical ninja kung fu which has made things much more interesting.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

See, I actually liked the Netflix star system and though the "its not actual a rating system, its what they think you like" criticism was dumb. Because really its "Its not a rating based on everyone who watched it, its a rating based off of people who liked the things you liked and disliked the things you liked." Which is probably a way more accurate way to figure out what I'll like.

The new system is still based on people with similar watch habits to you, I think the thinking is just there isn't really much difference between 1/2 and 4/5 stars, so more engagement/ratings = better?

E; Here's an article about it:

quote:

Netflix VP of product Todd Yellin told journalists on Thursday during a press briefing at the company’s headquarters in Los Gatos, Calif., that the company had tested the new thumbs up and down ratings with hundred of thousands of members in 2016. “We are addicted to the methodology of A/B testing,” Yellin said. The result was that thumbs got 200% more ratings than the traditional star-rating feature.

Netflix is also introducing a new percent-match feature that shows how good of a match any given show or movie is for an individual subscriber. For example, a show that should close to perfectly fit a user’s taste may get a 98% match. Shows that have less than a 50% match won’t display a match-rating, however.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blunt posted:

The new system is still based on people with similar watch habits to you, I think the thinking is just there isn't really much difference between 1/2 and 4/5 stars, so more engagement/ratings = better?
Yeah, probably. Its really not a big deal either way. I had some arbitrary way I thought the stars worked but it doesn't match with other arbitrary systems people have. The up and down is simpler and will probably amount to the same thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

less laughter posted:

Poehler guested on 30 Rock season 6 ep 19.
Lmao gently caress, I forgot the live eps.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Slamhound posted:

You know there are worse ways to go, but I can't think of a more undignified one than auto-erotic asphyxiation.

I can't believe how well I still remember that one particular episode from the original run. It also stars one of my favorite guest-star guys who's name I can't ever remember. Darn it!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't get how Dunham can be so aware about how Hannah comes off in the show but so unaware about her real life actions

I mean, I'm not so sure she is aware about how Hannah comes off. I stopped watching the show when I saw an after-episode interview with Dunham where she lauded Hannah's terrible, childish actions during the episode as good and brave and I realized the whole thing wasn't satire. This was in season 3, I believe.

I really couldn't give less of a poo poo about Schumer's newest special not being good, though. Most of the hate directed toward it I've seen seems to be very mean-spirited ad hominem attacks that have little or nothing to do with the content of the special itself. Comics release bad specials all the time. Let this one be poorly reviewed and hopefully she'll write better material for the next one. Don't bully her into wanting to quit the business or pretending she was never good. Jesus.

e: not directed toward anyone here on Schumer, though. Mostly seeing that poo poo on Facebook and Reddit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 19, 2017

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

FactsAreUseless posted:

I still would have liked to see more Rachel Dratch though. Also it's weird that Fey and Poehler were never on each other's shows, despite airing around the same time.

I still wish I would have seen Fey in Parks and Recreation. Andy Samberg was doing Brooklyn Nine-Nine and managed to guest on Parks. The good SNL cast members do well together even after the show. Not looking at you Fallon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My problem with the Netflix star system is that it's right in the middle of the spectrum of usefulness: not as simple as a yes/no and not granular enough to mean anything on the other end. I prefer the thumbs up/thumbs down to stars, or a Metacritic/The AV Club-style letter grade system, but ultimately the problem lies in what happens after these user ratings.

Netflix has all these specific categories that they sort all their movies into, but then don't do anything particularly useful with them. The user has no control in navigating them, they're only served up when the algorithm wants to. Why not expose all of those categories but let the algorithm determine how to sort their order, then give the user control to dive deeper?

"Want a slow-burn sci-fi horror? First, select Sci-Fi from the dropdown. Now, here is every sci-fi film and TV show we have sorted by category, and under each category sorted by how relevant it is and how much we think you'd like it based on your previous watching habits and thumbs up/down rating. You can browse to the 'slow-burn sci-fi horror category, or maybe the sci-fi erotic thriller category catches your eye along the way and you change your mind. Either way, great! We've given you all the options"

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 19, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

My problem with the Netflix star system is that it's right in the middle of the spectrum of usefulness: not as simple as a yes/no and not granular enough to mean anything on the other end. I prefer the thumbs up/thumbs down to stars, or a Metacritic/The AV Club-style letter grade system, but ultimately the problem lies in what happens after these user ratings.

Netflix has all these specific categories that they sort all their movies into, but then don't do anything with them. Why not expose all of those categories but let the algorithm determine how to sort their order, then give the user control in navigating them?

"Want a slow-burn sci-fi horror? Here is everything we have sorted by how relevant it is and how much we think you'd like it based on your previous watching habits and thumbs up/down rating. Want a goofy throwaway comedy? Here are the ones we think you'd like the most, followed by every other film in that category that you can scroll through at your convenience." etc.

The problem is that big data is a lie.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Youtube showed their data years ago with the 5 star system. The vasty majority of ratings was 5 star and the next place was 1 star, so it pretty much already is a thumbs up or down system. Might as well simplify it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pan Dulce posted:

I still wish I would have seen Fey in Parks and Recreation. Andy Samberg was doing Brooklyn Nine-Nine and managed to guest on Parks.

Pssssst he was on Parks and Rec in 2010...Brooklyn 99 started in 2013. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Hand of God season 2 feels like what the second season of true detective could have been

• Locked thread