Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

En Fuego posted:

So, I am pretty not-happy and won't be attending any more of that store's events. Fortunately there's a ton of places where I live so I am not at a loss.

What store? You can PM if you don't want to post it, just curious since I was hitting the same shops that you were a yearish ago

ThePeavstenator posted:

The #1 piece of advice that you should be told before you even learn the rules.

Exactly never buy boxes if you're look for specific cards. Buy a box if you just like cracking packs (aka losing money) or you want to draft. Some guy at the LGS was ranting about how bad his box was because all he really wanted was a couple Tarns and a couple Catacombs. When asked about why he didn't just buy those individual he gave a long, rambling response about supporting the LGS and how the cards from the box should be worth the amount he paid for it. After being asked why he didn't just buy the cards out of the glass case at the LGS he sort of trailed off and switched to checking his phone

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I know it's a bit of a long shot but is anyone going to GP Orlando next weekend? It's my first big organized event and my LGS doesn't seem like they're sending a ton of people.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Out of 2 drafts and 8 prize packs I now have 3 Marsh Flats :toot:

Too bad Junk has a bunch of other expensive bits. I might actually go for it now, though.

Junk is the deck getting helped the most by this set from what I can tell. Almost everything good is being reprinted.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

And Bob Huang continues to be a scumbag.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

What he do now?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

What he do now?

In the semis of eternal extravaganza.
Tried to cast several spells without paying for Thalia, Blew an EE on 1 and left his Top in play. Judge (correctly) ruled that the Top would stay in play because it was too far to back up. Continued to use the Top afterwards.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!

DangerDongs posted:

Modern is always a safer investment, but buy singles and not packs.
You are also choosing a good time to get into modern, because you can buy the enemy fetch lands for cheap, which you will use in pretty much all of the decks.
Everything that I bought over the last week that's STD legal, is also legal in Modern, right?

Walked posted:

Buy singles though
This is where I kind of screwed up I guess. I bought about 15 boosters each of all the STD legal sets, and 3 Pre-Con decks. I really just wanted to see what all the abilities and changes made over the 8 years I was off, looked like. I should have just used a site like Deckstats.net, mtggoldfish, or whatever in the OP to build a deck first, and then go get singles. It's okay though, I'm not hurting for cash or anything, but now I know better and I'll find a website to build decks on first.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Don't tell the new guy to buy modern you bozos.

Put a cheap standard deck together to see if you enjoy constructed. Play a bunch of drafts for zero investment. Play at different stores and get a feel for their vibes. But most importantly find some people you enjoy hanging out and playing with. Maybe try borrowing their constructed decks for an event to see how you enjoy other playstyles.

Don't get hung up on what's the best value or whatever. Without fun people I guarantee you'll drop the hobby otherwise.
I agree 100% with this, and it was half of the reason I came back to playing Magic. The dudes you play with make a big difference, and I've got a great local shop only 5 mins down the road. My first FNM last night, everyone was super chill and really helpful and supportive of me getting back into it. Zero dicks, and very little ego in the room. I had a blast socially and fun playing, even though I obviously lost every match.

Sigma-X posted:

If you are thinking you'll.be playing modern in a year or two, this is exactly the time to buy playsets of all the enemy fetches that were reprinted in MM17 if you have that kind of cash floating around. In about a week or two we will see the bottom of their pricing and a year from now they will have held or gained. At that time you can ditch the ones you won't use for modern cards you will use....
Lot of helpful info here, thanks. I don't know what these fetch lands are yet, I'll have to check them out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Fetchlands are a set of lands that read "tap, sacrifice, pay 1 life: search your library for a Plains or Swamp and put it into play.

Replace with other basics for the other 4. They're really great because they can fetch duals due to the way they're worded.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

In the semis of eternal extravaganza.
Tried to cast several spells without paying for Thalia, Blew an EE on 1 and left his Top in play. Judge (correctly) ruled that the Top would stay in play because it was too far to back up. Continued to use the Top afterwards.

Well at least he lost. Gotta love the rules lawyering and angle shooting in one instance and then "whoops, I made mistakes in my favor, my bad!" in another.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The idea that the cards inside the box should be worth what you paid is crack economics.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Fetchlands also have a lot of subtle benefits beyond being the best way to fix your mana. A lot of decks want to put cards in their graveyard, and they can also let you shuffle away bad cards you know about on the top of your deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
IDed for tied 1st tonight. Rare drafted a Blood Moon, played Esper Awkward Stuff that just put good, evasive creatures on the board and turned 'em sideways. Drafted a Resto and a Venser, prize packs had a Past in Flames, Sphinx's Revelation and Stony Silence. :shrug:

Seemed like everybody was just drafting 3-4 color good stuffs, not sure if I like the format but it's not like I'll draft it again.

Now to wait a month and buy fetches, Snaps and a Damnation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

Well at least he lost. Gotta love the rules lawyering and angle shooting in one instance and then "whoops, I made mistakes in my favor, my bad!" in another.

As long as "whoops" is positive EV than it will continue.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Soul Glo posted:

IDed for tied 1st tonight. Rare drafted a Blood Moon, played Esper Awkward Stuff that just put good, evasive creatures on the board and turned 'em sideways. Drafted a Resto and a Venser, prize packs had a Past in Flames, Sphinx's Revelation and Stony Silence. :shrug:

Seemed like everybody was just drafting 3-4 color good stuffs, not sure if I like the format but it's not like I'll draft it again.

Now to wait a month and buy fetches, Snaps and a Damnation.

The fixing in the set is insane. Probably the best they have ever had outside of an online cube.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

Yeah. My biggest problem with the whole thing is that he continued to use the Top afterwards. Even if it was an honest mistake, he used the Top the turn it should have gotten blown up. Nothing you can do about that, but then he continued using it after he knew for sure it should've been gone and it almost certainly won him the game. Have some integrity, holy crap.

Sickening posted:

As long as "whoops" is positive EV than it will continue.

FWIW the top 8 had split so the only EV was saying he won. Which kinda makes the whole thing even worse. He's doing this for no gain.

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010
I've only been playing draft for about 2 months now, so this was my first time playing a Masters set. Loved it. Ended up going 2-0 and then drawing final round, not intentionally, amusingly. p1p1 was a Scalding Tarn, which paid for the draft and then I went on to draft B/R/G aggro/tokens. Here's what I had:

3 Forest
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Gruul Guildgate
1 Jungle Shrine
3 Mountain
1 Rakdos Guildgate
5 Swamp

1 Bone Splinters
2 Chandra's Outrage
1 Dragon Fodder
1 Fists of Ironwood
1 Gaea's Anthem
1 Gruul Signet
1 Strength in Numbers
1 Primal Command
1 Grisly Spectacle

1 Burning-Tree Emissary
1 Extractor Demon
1 Falkenrath Noble
1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
1 Golgari Rotwurm
1 Hanweir Lancer
1 Mortician Beetle
1 Penumbra Spider
1 Pyrewild Shaman
1 Rubblebelt Maaka
2 Sprouting Thrinax
2 Sylvan Ranger
1 Tattermunge Witch
1 Thornscape Battlemage

https://deckbox.org/sets/1655156?v=l

Observations I had: Tattermunge Witch single-handedly won me a game. Ran 15 lands, a signet, and a total of 41 cards and somehow never really had issues of not having enough land or missing a color. Probably could have removed a swamp. Gaea's anthem is nuts, picked it up p1p4 and knew I had to play green after that. Strength in Numbers does great work as well, combined it with a bloodrushed Maaka to deal lethal with an 8/8 goblin token. Penumbra Spider was always nice to have.

Also, had an opponent playing mono red that, first game, killed me on turn 4. They went T2 - BTE into Mogg Flunkies. T3 miracled Thunderous Wrath, swung for 5, cast another Flunkies. T4 - Cast Hellrider, swing everything. I was impressed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I didn't even know EE was this weekend heh. Looks like 2 locals top 8ed too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Well it was streamed and I just watched the match. What a loving scumbag. How does this man not get heckled out of the community? He played loose and sloppy but always to his advantage.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://i.redd.it/63kzxm2nsamy.jpg

"Well, looks like I am dropping folks."

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sickening posted:

:lol:

It actually happened??

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

:lol:

It actually happened??

Stolen from reddit.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

So far I've done 2 Modern Masters drafts and have drafted 5 Sedraxis Specters, 4 Mist Ravens, and 4 Dinrova Horrors. Format is sweet, can confirm. Best thing I've gotten to say during a game was "In response, Momentary Blink my Broodmate Dragon."

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Sickening posted:

Image is gone now?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

So far I've done 2 Modern Masters drafts and have drafted 5 Sedraxis Specters, 4 Mist Ravens, and 4 Dinrova Horrors. Format is sweet, can confirm. Best thing I've gotten to say during a game was "In response, Momentary Blink my Broodmate Dragon."

Best thing I got to say was "well, I think I lose this match unless...okay, I cast Terminus for its miracle cost."

:v:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

Image is gone now?

Double goyf Inquisition pack

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
drafted mm17 for $35, went 2-1 only lost to the guy who won and got 2 prize packs that I shouldn't of opened. Drafted a Misty Rainforest and Damnation that I didn't play in my W/U deck. MVP was Grasp of Phantoms that I was calling a great ghetto time walk. Two and Three casting cost two power creatures got the job done. The guy who went undefeated played 4 colors, no white, and was basically mana fix, removal, and cheap creatures. I got over run by Goblin Assault, Mogg Flunkie, and Sedraxis Specter. He also got 2 Vampire Nighthawks in the pod.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Three of my four MM3 drafts have been in groups of six. Turns out people in pods that small rack up a fistful of common removal spells like Chandra's Outrage.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
YESSSSSS! I live for this!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2472-i-made-obscene-money-forging-magic-gathering-cards.html

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i really like this guy acting like a huge badass for his ability to get a printing company to print stuff

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

lifehack: commit fraud to make easy money

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Lets Pickle posted:

The best thing I've gotten to say is "Soulbond pair my Tandem Outlook with Niv-Mizzet", then watch that realization sink in on my opponent's face.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

UR: deal one damage to an opponent, draw 2 sounds ok.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hahaha 4 color Saheeli delerium? Jesus Christ standard is awful.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm just... astounded.. that I still get to play Felidar Guardian in sanctioned tournaments.

I mean, they even admitted it was a mistake. Come on

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's the deck that got 2nd place last week. It was fairly innovative.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Saheeli didn't even make top 8 at GP Shizuoka, everything's fine. :v:

It was six Mardu Ballistas, a Temur Tower and some rando Jund.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This coverage is hard to watch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PV's good but needs a proper play-by-play commentator to set up the analysis.

Rich is doing admirably for someone that's not a professional, but that shouldn't be an excuse for poor coverage.

And the video quality itself is worse than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah just clicked it on and saw 4 colour combo Vs Mardu vehicles and turned it off, feels like I've seen this match up a million times already.

• Locked thread