Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Real hurthling! posted:

What level should i be in 8 to do the dark ruins without too much trouble? The fights take a long time and jessica gets killed too easy with the party in the low 20s

Also is there a good place to grind xp at this point of the game?

That's literally the only point in the entire game that I had to grind. I think I was in the late 20s before I could tackle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Come to think of it, the Hero can use cursed weapons with no ill effects. Well thought out mechanic.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

What level should i be in 8 to do the dark ruins without too much trouble? The fights take a long time and jessica gets killed too easy with the party in the low 20s

Also is there a good place to grind xp at this point of the game?

Right before the boss of the ruins there is a pool of water that restores all the hp/mp of the party.

Grind there until Angelo gets to the level that he learns the multi-heal spell at.

After that you are pretty much set for the rest of the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

...! posted:

Come to think of it, the Hero can use cursed weapons with no ill effects. Well thought out mechanic.

Not quite. He doesn't start off every fight cursed, but the unique negative effects are still a thing, so stuff like negative elemental resists still apply

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I did grinding in Trodain with liquid metal slimes. There's a little hallway right behind the throne room that they'll spawn in and you can manipulate the spawns by using camera angles to make monsters disappear over and over until they appear.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The forest west of the royal hunting ground has a ton of regular metal slimes that spawn in groups. Might be worth trying there too if the liquid slimes are too slippery for you.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Ugh, these Stella pictures. What a fuckin' spawn rate she's got. And five different colors, spawning once per real-time day.

Does she actually reset at midnight, or is it 24 hours from the last time you talked to her? Internet said midnight and I want to be sure before I start this awful grind.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have DQ3 questions. I played it eons ago on NES and had fun but now i'm playing the remake on my android phone and I'm wondering about a few things.

1) Books change personality but it's listed as a 'temporary' change. How long does the personality change last?
2) I want to get two sages in my party, but I don't want to level a Jester through the main quest until Dharma. I'm going to use the zen scroll for my Pilgrim to become a Sage. Assuming I have a Wizard in my party until Dharma, would it be better to recruit a brand new Jester and level him to 20 or would it be better to class change my Wizard to Jester, and then Jester to Sage? Would either way be faster than the other?
3) Are there any unique, interesting, or special items that only a thief can get? In what situation would I want to have a Thief instead of a soldier or Fighter?

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

khy posted:

I have DQ3 questions. I played it eons ago on NES and had fun but now i'm playing the remake on my android phone and I'm wondering about a few things.

1) Books change personality but it's listed as a 'temporary' change. How long does the personality change last?
2) I want to get two sages in my party, but I don't want to level a Jester through the main quest until Dharma. I'm going to use the zen scroll for my Pilgrim to become a Sage. Assuming I have a Wizard in my party until Dharma, would it be better to recruit a brand new Jester and level him to 20 or would it be better to class change my Wizard to Jester, and then Jester to Sage? Would either way be faster than the other?
3) Are there any unique, interesting, or special items that only a thief can get? In what situation would I want to have a Thief instead of a soldier or Fighter?

1. Unless they changed something in the Android version, books are permanent unless you use a different book or equip an item to change personality (the item-based changes ARE temporary; only while the item is equipped).
2. Wouldn't make a difference unless you wanted to change the personality of your party member while changing the class. Like if you wanted Sexy on them instead of ___, since you're limited on items to change to that it might work best to make one from scratch. Otherwise the only difference is your Wizard>Jester>Sage would have your old Wizard spells during the Jester and early Sage levels, while your fresh Jester would not.
3. I don't think there are any Thief-only stolen items, but the spells they have are really nice throughout the game for finding medals and making sure you aren't missing chests. Any extra equipment, even if it's nothing amazing, is at least money in the bank, and you eventually start getting stat seeds from it later on.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Fighters rule at murderizing things, though. So I would vote for them over a Thief just because :murder:

(also if the Android remake has the GBC bonus dungeons, you need monster medals for the true final postgame boss and Thief stealing is checked for before Medals so they're actually an impediment to that, but it's a huge grind so I'm not recommending you do it.)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I finished the main DQ3 content on GBC last weekend and I just went ahead and put the game away so I could move onto 4. Beat the game with Hero, Warrior, Fighter, Cleric, no class changes, no personality changes (Sexy, Amazon, Quick, Sexy), I think around level 34 each. I think the sparse graphics of GBC especially no backgrounds on battles took their toll on me, I'm looking more forward to playing 4 each evening.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Just started playing DQ1 on my iPad. I was expecting it to be awkward, but it works really well. I really like that they've greatly toned down the need for grinding. The enemies tend to have lower stats than the NES version and give a lot more XP and gold. And they've made the cost of keys trivial. They cost a ridiculous amount of gold in the NES version.

Overall, this makes the game take a lot less time to beat but I think that's a great tradeoff for the lack of grinding. The grinding just artificially increased the playtime of the NES version.

Can't wait to start DQ2.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What's the precedence ordering for endgame gear in the 8 remake? Is it like, Catholicon Ring on everyone, then evasion up, then resistance to elements, then finally defense? Or does defense do enough against these bullshit 600+ damage crits that I actually care about it more than elemental resistance? I just assume evasion up is great because it indirectly prevents crits.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Another thing I'm really loving about the iOS version of DQ1 is the change they've made to the background music. Instead of chiptunes, the same music has been replaced with an amazing orchestral version of the original tune. I actually stopped playing just to listen to the music. They put a lot of effort into it. I particularly like the flute solo.

And the graphics are much better than anything the NES was capable of doing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

Another thing I'm really loving about the iOS version of DQ1 is the change they've made to the background music. Instead of chiptunes, the same music has been replaced with an amazing orchestral version of the original tune. I actually stopped playing just to listen to the music. They put a lot of effort into it. I particularly like the flute solo.

The new translation is also pretty charming, once you get used to it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What's the precedence ordering for endgame gear in the 8 remake? Is it like, Catholicon Ring on everyone, then evasion up, then resistance to elements, then finally defense? Or does defense do enough against these bullshit 600+ damage crits that I actually care about it more than elemental resistance? I just assume evasion up is great because it indirectly prevents crits.

The rule for crits is that they flat out ignore defense, that's why you can kill metal enemies with them. So yeah, dodgetank if you can.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I've been playing the 3DS version of 8 with a couple mods; one for the orchestral soundtrack, of course, and the other an undub for curiosity's sake-- this is entirely worth it because without this, I would never have learned that Morrie's Japanese name for Angelo is 'nice guy', I am dying.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
How's Yangus sound in the undub? Cause he's fantastic in English. Somehow I doubt he's as great.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Honestly? Surprisingly similar; they actually match tone better than you'd think. When I first heard him, I was surprised by how close the original and the dub with him actually are and that's only held up throughout the game. The 'guv's proved to be all 'aniki's which a) makes sense and b) is probably the one time I've ever seen a blanket solution for one of those Japanese nickname/speech quirks really work for me. (sorry, Nanako)

Jessica's a little generic, but she hams it up really well in Arcadia. Morrie and the arena in general are, like, half English.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I don't get an undub honestly. It might be because I don't speak any Japanese but it always just sounds like noise to me. Plus you miss out on the cockney stuff and things like The DQ4 characters in Heroes speaking in Zangiefian Russian.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I do understand enough Japanese that I can more or less follow along, which helps; I couldn't speak the language, but with a translation I get the gist. Otherwise-- mostly curiosity in this case. I've heard the dub enough times, and the first orchestral patch had an undub folded in, so I figured why not?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Huh. I know the Japanese PS2 version of DQ8 didn't even have a dub; it was purely added for the English version. Kinda surprised they went to the trouble of creating a Japanese dub now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess it's like the orchestral track we got. Honestly almost never expected that kinda thing in a JP DQ game out of tradition, but the musou changed their minds I guess.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So my experience with DQ was always 1-3 on NES, then 7 on PS1 and 8 on PS2.

I've heard good things about 4-6, and I'm going to get started on those after I complete 3 on android. My question is, do any of the games 4-6 have a skill system or something similar to DQ7's? Because that is still my favorite.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

khy posted:

I've heard good things about 4-6, and I'm going to get started on those after I complete 3 on android. My question is, do any of the games 4-6 have a skill system or something similar to DQ7's? Because that is still my favorite.

6 is pretty much the same as 7's system, yeah. 4 and 5 have set abilities, albeit 5 does let you recruit monsters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

...! posted:

It irrationally bothers me that the music doesn't match up with the screen wipe in the mobile versions of DQ1 or DQ2.

Len posted:

I don't get an undub honestly. It might be because I don't speak any Japanese but it always just sounds like noise to me. Plus you miss out on the cockney stuff and things like The DQ4 characters in Heroes speaking in Zangiefian Russian.

An undub is justifiable in Bravely Second, because the English voice acting sucks and you get to hear all of Magnolia's Engrish moonspeak and variations on "Good Gravy"

khy posted:

I haven't played 6 or 7, but 4 and 5 don't have anything resembling a skill tree, no. Although in 5 you do get to recruit monsters, which I guess you would swap out based on the abilities they can learn.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

7's vocation system is basically the same as 6's, except that 6 lacks the third tier. 4 and 5 have fixed characters only.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason to save stat seeds in dq8? I've saved all of them and just beat Marcello.

Is miracle slash worth getting on the hero? I did some more grinding into the mid-upper 40's and skill point growth has slowed to a crawl. Need 10 more points for miracle slash on hero.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Miracle Slash is something like 20% more than a normal hit and heals you, so it's basically the final skill since Gigaslash is awful.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Honestly, I never bothered with anything other than Falcon Slash. Falcon Slash with the Uber Falcon Blade is hilarious.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Haha, strong goof with the tour guide in Bath in DQIV.

Stands in front of the 16 coin Inn, walks you around the town, then ends the tour in front of his Inn that happens to cost 40 coins.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is there a reason to save stat seeds in dq8? I've saved all of them and just beat Marcello.

Is miracle slash worth getting on the hero? I did some more grinding into the mid-upper 40's and skill point growth has slowed to a crawl. Need 10 more points for miracle slash on hero.

You're super far into the game, so what you can make would be negligible at this point. The only seed that matters is seed of strength because you can use them to make Power Shields early but you're pretty much at endgame so go hog wild.

e: Hero has the distinction of pretty much every skill being useful

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Haha, strong goof with the tour guide in Bath in DQIV.

Stands in front of the 16 coin Inn, walks you around the town, then ends the tour in front of his Inn that happens to cost 40 coins.

Yeah, that's one of the things that makes DQ own so hard, especially since that whole thing would have originally been in an NES game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ROFL Octopus posted:

You're super far into the game, so what you can make would be negligible at this point. The only seed that matters is seed of strength because you can use them to make Power Shields early but you're pretty much at endgame so go hog wild.

e: Hero has the distinction of pretty much every skill being useful
Seeds of life are the only ones that make something you can't easily get more of, so if you care about being an alchemy completionist you should make a bunch of Life Bracers or whatever they're called. Beyond that, shove it all down Hero/Jessica's throat depending on how much postgame you are planning to do.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Monster-joins-party stuff always annoys me for some reason. It always seems kind of lame and I always strongly prefer actual party members to monsters. Is it skippable or am I forced to use monsters in DQ6 (Like, am I limited to only a couple party members and always expected to fill the other slots with monsters)? I mean I'm still 3 games away but I'm going to get there eventually.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

khy posted:

Monster-joins-party stuff always annoys me for some reason. It always seems kind of lame and I always strongly prefer actual party members to monsters. Is it skippable or am I forced to use monsters in DQ6 (Like, am I limited to only a couple party members and always expected to fill the other slots with monsters)? I mean I'm still 3 games away but I'm going to get there eventually.

6 doesn't have random monster recruitment, but you can get 8 different kinds of Slimes by doing certain sidequests. If you mean 5, then yes it's somewhat necessary to have monsters to fill out the missing slots in your four-man team when those are around. Late-game you'll probably use all the humans though, and be just fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

khy posted:

There's a good... half? the game in DQ5 where you only have the protag or protag+one lovely human companion in the middle before you get a glut of humans in Act 3.

However, there are some story important monster units that aren't random recruits who are good and cool (you are a monster if you don't use Saber).

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Recruiting monsters is super cool and fun, I thought defaulting to an all human party towards the end of DQ5 felt "cannon" but also kinda boring

great game with great plot overall though

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

khy posted:

You mean 5 right?

Anyway, the game has you by yourself for like the middle third or so? Maybe a little less.

Anyway, you get a bunch of worthless humans and you'll probably default to the same four person party as literally everyone else at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kind of liked monsters because none of them besides Lizzie in 6 have real party chat, so after Prince Henry left it always felt kind of lonely just dicking around with them.