Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Long hair spilling out like that doesn't seem like a good idea at all.

For comparison, an Inquisitor in typical power armour (apparently called Ignatus Pattern):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Those flowing locks are just begging to get pinched and yanked in between two overlapping pieces of the armour or a servo.

Gonna assume her arms and legs only go as far as the elbows and knees of the suit and there is some sort of equivalent neural control interface for movement even if it isn't a Black Carapace.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
And a video showing a Grey Knight donning his armour, to give some idea of what the Black Carapace looks like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Owlkill posted:

I realize this is somewhat covered in the OP, and that there's been the whole Age of Sigmar change to mix things up, but are there any especially decent Warhammer Fantasy books/short stories anyone would recommend? I'm following the standard guidance that anything Dan Abnett is going to be pretty good.

I haven't read any of the AoS stuff at all, so I'm coming from an old school viewpoint. Many of the WFB books I read were so long ago that I don't really remember much about them. These are what I do remember enjoying:

Mathias Thulman: Witch Hunter Trilogy (CL Werner)
Gotrek and Felix series (Bill King, others)
Fell Cargo (Abnett)
Various collections (including Hammer & Bolter) - as with most collections, some stories are better than others
Zavant (and associated short stories) (Josh Reynolds) - these are Sherlock Holmes in the Old World. Watson is a halfling. Need I say more?

What others have liked and that I haven't had time to read yet:
Thanquol and Boneripper series
Rise of Nagash trilogy

Tentative recommendation:
Blood Bowl series (Matt Forbeck) - these are ok for the first couple of books, but the third is pretty bad. I'd only recommend if you enjoy BB
Warhammer End Times series - I read the first book (The Return of Nagash) and really liked it. I have not read the remainder yet though.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Kopijeger posted:

And a video showing a Grey Knight donning his armour, to give some idea of what the Black Carapace looks like:

Well, that was already loving cool, until the Grey Knights prayer came on. Then I slammed my fist across my chest and furiously made the sign of the aquila.

I have no idea how to do the sign of the aquila, and I don't want to google it, because I read it in the books so often and I'm scared it's gonna look dumb

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Kopijeger posted:

That's one interpretation. I didn't think it was so... obtrusive. It's like they have these big open ports in their bodies, and cannon plugs screw into them. Pretty weird.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, that was already loving cool, until the Grey Knights prayer came on. Then I slammed my fist across my chest and furiously made the sign of the aquila.

I have no idea how to do the sign of the aquila, and I don't want to google it, because I read it in the books so often and I'm scared it's gonna look dumb

I always thought it was crossing your hands at your thumbs.

Like what the nerd with the backwards black hat is doing.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Those flowing locks are just begging to get pinched and yanked in between two overlapping pieces of the armour or a servo.

Gonna assume her arms and legs only go as far as the elbows and knees of the suit and there is some sort of equivalent neural control interface for movement even if it isn't a Black Carapace.

I like the flowing locks since there is no way she could do her own hair like that one she got into the armor. Does that imply that there are hair stylist servitors that assist humans getting into power armor and make sure they look as fabulous as possible? I sure like to think so.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I like the flowing locks since there is no way she could do her own hair like that one she got into the armor. Does that imply that there are hair stylist servitors that assist humans getting into power armor and make sure they look as fabulous as possible? I sure like to think so.

It makes perfect sense since 40k Canon is Rule of Cool incarnate.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There are Astartes ships that have human families living on board who, for centuries, from generation to generation, have only done one thing: make parchment. That parchment is the given to another human family who, for generations, has inscribed the words of the Emperor on to those strips of parchment. Then there's the wax, and somebody has to carve the stamps, and finally a serf affixes the completed purity seal to the Space Marine's armor.

I think you can just assume that there are hair stylist servitors, if not slaves who serve as beauticians and hairstylists for people in power armor

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I always interpreted the black carapace like the plug-in outlets on bodies like in The matrix.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

I always interpreted the black carapace like the plug-in outlets on bodies like in The matrix.

It is. It's like a big plastic networking switch that plugs into your nervous system on one side, and armor interfaces on the other.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Basically this:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
those service studs are way too small.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

those service studs are way too small.

More importantly, who puts a shunt right through a persons biceps?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Before I got into 40k, I always had an issue with space marines and the proportions of their armor. Like, there's no way even a big dude could fill it out so all the joints lined up and everything.

Then I read Space Wolf and found out they're not just big dudes, they're genetically modified monsters that are grown to those inhuman proportions. Come to think of it, Space Wolf was a great introduction to the universe, at least as far as getting an understanding of astartes and what they are.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I think she connects to the armor with that bodyglove she's wearing.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
That suit probably just acts as a sort of wetsuit for power armor. Non-astartes powerarmor is more like a powered exoskeleton, or power loader a la Alien. Non-astartes have no black carapace and thus no way to interface with suit sensors.

I guess Iron Man comes to mind. Astartes can feel water and temperature while in their armor thanks to the neural interface from the carapace, humans don't have that degree of integration. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Owlkill posted:

I realize this is somewhat covered in the OP, and that there's been the whole Age of Sigmar change to mix things up, but are there any especially decent Warhammer Fantasy books/short stories anyone would recommend? I'm following the standard guidance that anything Dan Abnett is going to be pretty good.

The Genevieve Undead omnibus is pretty good even if it's view on the Old World is kind of dated.
And at places can be kiiiinda :gonk: when you realize some of the implications. But at the same time it does have some really good stories in it like a horror story featuring a vampire where the vampire is pretty much a second character.

Been wanting to find the Ulrika the Vampire books but they are so out of print that finding them without having to pay through the nose is outright impossible. They're available as ebooks I believe but I've never enjoyed reading those.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Wasn't the author of the Genevieve books this massive weirdo who tried to tie up his waifu character in all sorts of legal bullshit?

I remember people reacting rather surprised when Drachenfels got mentioned in the End Times stuff, as he was another one said author allegedly tried to run off with as well.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I really enjoyed The Wine of Dreams, which is very early Fantasy pre-SoC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
It's not exactly early what with being published in 6th edition or so, but it was definitely one of the better novels from the better part of Black Library's history.

SteelMentor posted:

Wasn't the author of the Genevieve books this massive weirdo who tried to tie up his waifu character in all sorts of legal bullshit?

I remember people reacting rather surprised when Drachenfels got mentioned in the End Times stuff, as he was another one said author allegedly tried to run off with as well.
He wasn't so much a weirdo as just a dude who enjoyed messing with people's heads given that Anne Rice was starting to be a thing when he was writing and he wanted to do something else. Also he succeeded in tying it up in legal bullshit :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Iron Warriors have the potential to be even more hosed up than the Night Lords.

Give them to ADB imo.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
If Dan Abnett is reading this thread I'd just like him to know that I appreciated the part in Titanicus where the reserve PDF dudes enter a neighbourhood in a the mining district called Gorge Orwelt.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Syncopated posted:

If Dan Abnett is reading this thread I'd just like him to know that I appreciated the part in Titanicus where the reserve PDF dudes enter a neighbourhood in a the mining district called Gorge Orwelt.
…oh wow, I never once noticed that. :doh:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just finished Praetorian of Dorn and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't put it quite up there with ADB's work, but at least level with Abnett. Great portrayal of the legions involved.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm struggling to get through Path of Heaven or whatever the most recent Scars book is. I really liked the first Scars book in the HH but this one is just dragging and seems dull and uninteresting....

I don't know why. Like I just punched through Silent War, Pharos and a bunch of other mediocre poo poo and was looking foward to this one but I'm just super unengaged and I don't know why. I read Hams on my Kindle during buisness travel and poo poo has never dragged this bad. I even made it through the way earlier way shittier HH books (lookin at you Descent of Angels).

I have hopes for Prateorian of Dorne though so woo. 3.5 Hour flight to Denver this week and back so

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
An unknown thunder warrior of the compliance wars of the 2080s with accompanying battle hymn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5joTyy3CCo

who was supported by the first imperial knight princep, of the first generation of imperial knights

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 19, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
that first one was a cover for Armor by John Steakly which was a p sweet book. I wish he wrote more.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Waroduce posted:

that first one was a cover for Armor by John Steakly which was a p sweet book. I wish he wrote more.

I think he did a vampire book, and then stopped. Nothing in the vein of Armor ever again, sadly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Preechr posted:

I think he did a vampire book, and then stopped. Nothing in the vein of Armor ever again, sadly.

He was working on a sequel, off and on, when he died.

Never got finished, obviously.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

An unknown thunder warrior of the compliance wars of the 2080s with accompanying battle hymn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5joTyy3CCo

Rad, I was just listening to Mega Drive a few minutes ago.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I really dig it. This New Retro Wave stuff is cool as heck.

I bought two NWR t-shirts, they screwed up, sent me the correct shirt and let me keep the 3rd.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Waroduce posted:

I'm struggling to get through Path of Heaven or whatever the most recent Scars book is. I really liked the first Scars book in the HH but this one is just dragging and seems dull and uninteresting....

Keep going, I thought PoH ended well. Then you get Praetorians, which kicks rear end all the way through.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm tearing through Prateorian it's dope af

The Vampire$ novel by Steakly is kick rear end. Highly recommended

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The Night Lords trilogy owns so hard, holy god.

Humanizing the Night Lords, of all Legions, and then packing a bunch of scenes and lines in there that made me die of laughter. Madness!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well because I find it hard to eschew a 40K omnibus, I picked up Forges of Mars the other day. Have been meaning to get around to those books since I've heard they're tolerable McNeill.

I still can't find MoM in stores...is it digital-only right now?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Black library artificial scarcity strikes again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I know it's a cliche to say so, but when actually seen in motion in that Grey Knight video, those Pauldrons really do look ridiculous.