Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Turns out I'm kid rock hot drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

A little background, I'm a half Japanese/Chinese who was raised in America while my girlfriend is full Korean and has lived most of her life in South Korea and moved here during her early teens. She is proficient at English but I wouldn't say fluent as she still hangs around Korean friends/communities and doesn't really hang outside of that circle.

We've never known each other prior to dating as we were introduced by a mutual friend and we just hit it off from there. I've never once mentioned to her that I'm half Chinese because I never really had a appropriate time/situation to mention it to her and honestly I never thought that it would matter at all. She just assumed I'm Japanese since I can speak fluent Japanese and have a full Japanese name.

Just last week, we were eating out at a Korean bbq place and we were sitting accross the table to a Chinese family who was being a bit loud and rude to the waiters (but honestly given the busy vibe of the restaurant, it wasn't that bad imo). Immediately you could tell my girlfriend wasn't happy about the situation and said "ah do these people have any basic manners at all?". Then after about 30 minutes, the father of the chinese family faced towards our direction near our food and started coughing like no tomorrow without covering his mouth and than spat into one of the cups. You could tell at this point my girlfriend was quite pissed and made another remark saying "seriously, why are chinese people so fxxxing dirty, it's pissing me off, i seriously can't stand them". I was completely speechless and I had no idea what to say, instead I just kind of ignored what she said and changed the subject.

I always thought of her as an open minded person considering that I'm Japanese (if you didn't know, Japan and Korea don't have the best relations due to politics and history), but now I'm thinking it's because she's into anime/games so she might be more open minded about Japanese only. I feel really torn about this because she is the first girl I dated which I really feel like our personalities and interests/hobbies really match.

Being part Chinese is something I want to embrace with it's deep beautiful history/culture and isn't something I want to hide, I've always wanted to teach my future kids to be multilingual as I feel like Chinese is a very useful language as it's the most spoken in the world (even though i'm horrible at mandarin).

I don't know what to do from here on and how to approach this situation. Is this something we should break up over? Deep inside I want to say that she didn't mean those words and just said too much in that given situation, but at the same time she could really be racist as I know that the image of Chinese people isn't that good in Korea. Is there anyway I can salvage this relationship? I don't even know what to say as I've been thinking about this all week and it's been driving me absolutely crazy. I wish I would of just mentioned to her that I'm half chinese the moment we met.

tl;dr: Went to eat dinner with my girlfriend and sat across the table of a Chinese family. The Chinese family was a bit rude and did some gross things so my girlfriend said some racist remarks about Chinese people but she doesn't know that I'm half Chinese. Please help me, I don't know what to say/do.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I suggest that your girlfriend is culturally insensitive rather than racist, which may change how you approach the conversation.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

BONGHITZ posted:

"seriously, why are chinese people not from my province so fxxxing dirty, it's pissing me off, i seriously can't stand them"

If she were a mainlander it would probably go down like this.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Grand Fromage posted:

I rode a train today. I had a business class ticket. Business class on a Chinese high speed train (which looked like either a copy or a purchased shinkansen) turns out to be super nice and also presumably gives you access to this place, so I went in.

:v:

That's a step up from Australia, where "VIP Lounge" is code for "room full of poker machines"

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

BONGHITZ posted:

A little background, I'm a half Japanese/Chinese who was raised in America while my girlfriend is full Korean and has lived most of her life in South Korea and moved here during her early teens. She is proficient at English but I wouldn't say fluent as she still hangs around Korean friends/communities and doesn't really hang outside of that circle.

We've never known each other prior to dating as we were introduced by a mutual friend and we just hit it off from there. I've never once mentioned to her that I'm half Chinese because I never really had a appropriate time/situation to mention it to her and honestly I never thought that it would matter at all. She just assumed I'm Japanese since I can speak fluent Japanese and have a full Japanese name.

Just last week, we were eating out at a Korean bbq place and we were sitting accross the table to a Chinese family who was being a bit loud and rude to the waiters (but honestly given the busy vibe of the restaurant, it wasn't that bad imo). Immediately you could tell my girlfriend wasn't happy about the situation and said "ah do these people have any basic manners at all?". Then after about 30 minutes, the father of the chinese family faced towards our direction near our food and started coughing like no tomorrow without covering his mouth and than spat into one of the cups. You could tell at this point my girlfriend was quite pissed and made another remark saying "seriously, why are chinese people so fxxxing dirty, it's pissing me off, i seriously can't stand them". I was completely speechless and I had no idea what to say, instead I just kind of ignored what she said and changed the subject.

I always thought of her as an open minded person considering that I'm Japanese (if you didn't know, Japan and Korea don't have the best relations due to politics and history), but now I'm thinking it's because she's into anime/games so she might be more open minded about Japanese only. I feel really torn about this because she is the first girl I dated which I really feel like our personalities and interests/hobbies really match.

Being part Chinese is something I want to embrace with it's deep beautiful history/culture and isn't something I want to hide, I've always wanted to teach my future kids to be multilingual as I feel like Chinese is a very useful language as it's the most spoken in the world (even though i'm horrible at mandarin).

I don't know what to do from here on and how to approach this situation. Is this something we should break up over? Deep inside I want to say that she didn't mean those words and just said too much in that given situation, but at the same time she could really be racist as I know that the image of Chinese people isn't that good in Korea. Is there anyway I can salvage this relationship? I don't even know what to say as I've been thinking about this all week and it's been driving me absolutely crazy. I wish I would of just mentioned to her that I'm half chinese the moment we met.

tl;dr: Went to eat dinner with my girlfriend and sat across the table of a Chinese family. The Chinese family was a bit rude and did some gross things so my girlfriend said some racist remarks about Chinese people but she doesn't know that I'm half Chinese. Please help me, I don't know what to say/do.

must be fake posting on reddit, why would a Japanese date a s̶a̶n̶g̶o̶k̶u̶j̶i̶n̶ comfort woman!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How dare someone not be open minded about being gross and rude.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Buddy, if she was from Hong Kong the stuff she'd say would be way heavier. Like 'Locust' and poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was at a restaurant and 2 american tourists were being super loud. They were on the opposite side of the restaurant but everyone in the entire building could clearly hear every detail of their conversation and they were being rather demanding and at one point even snapped for the waitress. My friend made a comment about how americans tend to be loud and don't seem to have a concept of "socially appropriate volume" or what ever, and often don't treat service workers well. She just assumed I was canadian and she was european but what she didn't know was that my grandfather was american and I was DEEPLY offended. I can't believe my friend is so closed minded to entertain such racist ideas that americans have different cultural social norms.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Imperialist Dog posted:

So I'm halfway through the book about the Great Leap Forward and I think it actually explains more about why China is the way it is more than the complete overt destruction that happened during the cultural Revolution

I think the best description of it is post-apocalyptic movies and films, perhaps taking Walking Dead as an example, except that instead of a complete breakdown of society because of zombies, you have it because of the Communist Party. The zombies are still running after you and trying to eat you, but it's because they are starving farmers.

The stories are absolutely horrendous. Grain production actually went down after the communists took over, but of course because they reported bumper harvest every year, more grain was actually taken from the already starving farmers. Farmers literally ate their houses because some of it was organic material. Food that you could get at the centralised canteen was redeemable with a ticket, which you had to stand in line for for hours. If you follow the rules and stayed in line, it would take you a whole day, and the time you got there there would be no food left. The only way that you could survive is if you pushed the small, like children, or the weak like the elderly out of the way and barge your way to the front.

Everything was fair game. Blind grandmothers were robbed of ration coupons in the street. One woman kept her coupons in a purse around her neck; at night a nephew snuck in, cut the string and took the coupons for himself. The woman died of starvation a few days later. Meanwhile, Party officials and cadres treated themselves to lavish banquets. Restaurants favoured by the Party had rice clogging their sewer system, such were the leftovers.

Due to idiot economic policies, the value of the yuan dropped. People spent money like crazy on ostentatious luxury items because your currency would lose half its value the next day and the State would freeze your bank account anyway. Material goods had a bonus because you could barter with it. Those gold earrings or that jade hairpin you found in the black market could be traded for a sack of grain next month so buy buy buy!

How about an office full of workers doing nothing? It started during this time. Factories and farms set up systems where one guy would watch for the boss/cadre so the workers would look productive when they walked by. Other workplaces didn't give a poo poo. Why? Because workers and farmers alike were literally starving. Doing work burned calories that were not going to be replaced. Sleeping on the job literally became essential to survival.

Does mainlanders throwing away stuff because it has a scratch instead of repairing it annoy you? Turns out you could only repair stuff at Authorised People's Service Centres. The centres were corrupt and inefficient but gently caress you, there's no way for you to fix it yourself because the party has literally confiscated everything. In one village people were mysteriously repairing their clothes because someone had hidden a sewing needle from marauding collection militias. A whole village, sharing one illegal needle.

I'm only halfway through the book but goddamn it explains so much.

:stare:

Also, which book?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Imperialist Dog posted:

So I'm halfway through the book about the Great Leap Forward and I think it actually explains more about why China is the way it is more than the complete overt destruction that happened during the cultural Revolution

I think the best description of it is post-apocalyptic movies and films, perhaps taking Walking Dead as an example, except that instead of a complete breakdown of society because of zombies, you have it because of the Communist Party. The zombies are still running after you and trying to eat you, but it's because they are starving farmers.

The stories are absolutely horrendous. Grain production actually went down after the communists took over, but of course because they reported bumper harvest every year, more grain was actually taken from the already starving farmers. Farmers literally ate their houses because some of it was organic material. Food that you could get at the centralised canteen was redeemable with a ticket, which you had to stand in line for for hours. If you follow the rules and stayed in line, it would take you a whole day, and the time you got there there would be no food left. The only way that you could survive is if you pushed the small, like children, or the weak like the elderly out of the way and barge your way to the front.

Everything was fair game. Blind grandmothers were robbed of ration coupons in the street. One woman kept her coupons in a purse around her neck; at night a nephew snuck in, cut the string and took the coupons for himself. The woman died of starvation a few days later. Meanwhile, Party officials and cadres treated themselves to lavish banquets. Restaurants favoured by the Party had rice clogging their sewer system, such were the leftovers.

Due to idiot economic policies, the value of the yuan dropped. People spent money like crazy on ostentatious luxury items because your currency would lose half its value the next day and the State would freeze your bank account anyway. Material goods had a bonus because you could barter with it. Those gold earrings or that jade hairpin you found in the black market could be traded for a sack of grain next month so buy buy buy!

How about an office full of workers doing nothing? It started during this time. Factories and farms set up systems where one guy would watch for the boss/cadre so the workers would look productive when they walked by. Other workplaces didn't give a poo poo. Why? Because workers and farmers alike were literally starving. Doing work burned calories that were not going to be replaced. Sleeping on the job literally became essential to survival.

Does mainlanders throwing away stuff because it has a scratch instead of repairing it annoy you? Turns out you could only repair stuff at Authorised People's Service Centres. The centres were corrupt and inefficient but gently caress you, there's no way for you to fix it yourself because the party has literally confiscated everything. In one village people were mysteriously repairing their clothes because someone had hidden a sewing needle from marauding collection militias. A whole village, sharing one illegal needle.

wheres the street making GBS threads from

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I rode a train today. I had a business class ticket. Business class on a Chinese high speed train (which looked like either a copy or a purchased shinkansen) turns out to be super nice and also presumably gives you access to this place, so I went in.

:v:

Where's the bar?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Imperialist Dog posted:

1800-2009: interesting. this sounds like a lot of things at play here. i'd be interested to learn more about this
2010-present: this reeks of racism, orientalism and white privilege

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
this should make it easier to spot a post 90s beauty

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Great Autismo! posted:

1800-2009: interesting. this sounds like a lot of things at play here. i'd be interested to learn more about this

Time Machine
Feb 24, 2006
When this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit.
So after reading this thread, would I be correct in assuming that if I flew over to Beijing and started a panhandling act where I chugged ice-cold water in winter, and ate super spicy (but only to the Chinese) peppers, I would impress this simple audience because they see this as a superhuman feat, and I might actually get some decent change in my tip-jar?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
HONG KONG:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I, too, think that people were more accepting, cosmopolitan, and inquisitive towards other cultures and races in 1800

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

2009 was the last good year.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LimburgLimbo posted:

I, too, think that people were more accepting, cosmopolitan, and inquisitive towards other cultures and races in 1800

It was at least possible to have a discussion about that kind of stuff in 1800.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Time Machine posted:

So after reading this thread, would I be correct in assuming that if I flew over to Beijing and started a panhandling act where I chugged ice-cold water in winter, and ate super spicy (but only to the Chinese) peppers, I would impress this simple audience because they see this as a superhuman feat, and I might actually get some decent change in my tip-jar?

I think the last ten or so words of this are pretty misguided.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

no idea if they were more of those things or not, but you could at least discuss it in 1800.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
If you were an alligator you could make a ton of money.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Atlas Hugged posted:

lmao

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

decent

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
This is us, discussing it right now. The fringe that literally breaks down into autistic screeching, is just that, a fringe, if very vocal in some mediums.

In the 1800's people were too busy coming up with psuedoscience justification for why non-whites were literally an inferior sub-species of human to have a deep conversation about culture.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 19, 2017

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Ugh guys there's literally no way to talk about culture these days because the moment you say anything negative about someone else you get shut down

*posts in 13,000 post long thread taking the piss out of Chinese culture*

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

This is us, discussing it right now. The fringe that literally breaks down into autistic screeching, is just that, a fringe, if very vocal in some mediums.

In the 1800's people were too busy coming up with psuedoscience justification for why non-whites were literally an inferior sub-species of human to have a deep conversation about culture.

but they were discussing it

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

but they were discussing it

Technically correct, I concede lol

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

LimburgLimbo posted:

Ugh guys there's literally no way to talk about culture these days because the moment you say anything negative about someone else you get shut down

*posts in 13,000 post long thread taking the piss out of Chinese culture*

I think maybe you should look at what happened to people in the first 12,000 posts of it when they brought up anything Ol Man Gene's slightly off and zero-experience-with-China mind saw as racist. And this is in an environment with almost not repercussions for what you say.

Look at Angel Opportunity. He doesn't even post in here any more because some retard got so hurt over him making parody Chinglish posts that they hunted down his info and doxxed him as well as they could to anyone they thought might hurt him for it.

raton fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 19, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sheep-Goats posted:

I think maybe you should look at what happened to people in the first 12,000 posts of it when they brought up anything Ol Man Gene's slightly off and zero-experience-with-China mind saw as racist. And this is in an environment with almost not repercussions for what you say.

Look at Angel Opportunity. He doesn't even post in here any more because some retard got so hurt over him making parody Chinglish posts that they hunted down his info and doxxed him as well as they could to anyone they thought might hurt him for it.

YUP

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The book is Mao's Great Famine by Frank Dikötter. It's very readable and well researched.

Accretionist posted:

HONG KONG:

This is near Ivy Street, Tai Kok Tsui, Western Kowloon. Lots of small machine shops and metal dealers. Built on what used to be a dockyard.

The Gin Bottle is on the left there so that's Central and Admiralty.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene
TBF, I never got Banned for typing Nong

So far

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nucken Futz posted:

TBF, I never got Banned for typing Nong

So far

You missed your window

For now

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I don't get the joke though, none of that is racist

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
During the Great Leap Forward all citizens were divided into city workers (jumin 居民) and farmers (nongmin 农民). Also registration got changed to matrilineal so if you were a poor woman farmer who married someone with city registration, you and your children were still condemned by the state

To be

Nongs

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Does nongmin even work as an insult in China?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does nongmin even work as an insult in China?

Yep, it does.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
Certainly not building up a cult of personality!

https://twitter.com/Yaqiu/status/843320162896035840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tale of two Siblings

During one of my visits with Popo she decided it was a good time to blow off some steam regarding family issues, namely my Sister's situation.

My Sister had been living in Hong Kong for about 1.5 years by the time I made my visit. Mom had bait and switched/pressured Sister into staying in Hong Kong when there was no plan of any kind causing everybody to scramble to get her situated. Sister had declined accommodation from Popo or any of the family friends initially, couch surfing from one new friend to another from her earlier visits

Eventually she did stay with family friends and was even offered a pretty cushy job teaching a pair of primary school kids English that paid quite well. Popo blamed Sister's tongue stud, but Sister lost the job. She has been hopping from job to job since.

Even from NZ I had heard some of the troubles Sister went through, so when Mom turned to me and ask me to go to Hong Kong for a visit I said no. She even gave me the whole "You will find better jobs and opportunities there and the economy is great!" and offered airfare. I would tell her that is not a plan and it is all very backward pointing to Sister's situation and that I was functionally illiterate there. This went on for 6 months. You might have noticed both Mom and Aunt are very persistent once they latch on an idea regardless of how stupid it is.

Popo told me that she was worried sick the entire time and was extremely happy I came to visit as Sister didn't. When you go visit Popo you get Dim Sum which is a pretty good reason to go and it is a very easy way to pay filial respect with some easy phrases. Sister was likely driven off by Popo's rightly but excessive worrying.

Had she played along and accepted family's hospitality she would have had a much easier time. She is now almost completely dependant on BIL having burned her savings, student loans are calling and worryingly detached from family in HK.

As a finisher she didn't teach BIL any Cantonese greetings when he first arrived which is an inexplicable move.

TL;DR Don't move/go to another country without a plan or goal beyond not dying.

• Locked thread