Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They outsourced the Supports, maybe they weren't told about specific details until it was too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Ah man there's like three Corrinsexuals for a male avatar in Birthright to choose from but we choose the Hoshido sister who was a mere afterthought and gives terrible hair color for many children.

Regarding Flora pulling a Sigurd; it's not even gonna be the stupidest plotline death we see in Fates.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

flora doing suicide, marrying a sibling, and then reminding me of the ludicrously stupid way they did children all in a row like this is too much, my brain is dead

Everyone got feet but we had to sacrifice so much for them.*

*Worldbuilding, pants, characterization

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Everyone got feet but we had to sacrifice so much for them.*

*Worldbuilding, pants, characterization

Don't forget shoes. Corrin and Azura are definitely barefoot, and Kana probably is, too. (That's probably murder on their soles...)

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
So, which child will we not be getting this playthrough? Because there are 14 males (including Corrin) with children so far and only 13 females, not counting the Corrinsexuals.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Take a look at the benched dudes and guess. We're not seeing Hinata or Subaki's kid this run, I'd wager.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Ah man there's like three Corrinsexuals for a male avatar in Birthright to choose from but we choose the Hoshido sister who was a mere afterthought and gives terrible hair color for many children.

Gingers are not terrible.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Space Bat posted:

I love how Corrin ping pongs between generic anime protagonist regarding killing people and between being bloodthirsty. I still am baffled how Corrin went from, "No, I can't hurt these people!" to "Alright Silas, any last words before I cut your head off?" in the span of, what, two chapters?

A few of these are due to liberties taken by the localization team. Maybe in order to make Corrin seem more assertive.

JamMasterJim fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 19, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Voting will end in an hour. Random Silas hate all of a sudden.

edit: Vote's done. Jakob, Orochi, Azama, Silas, Kaze are out.

Tae fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 19, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Gingers are not terrible.

Red hair can look quite nice, but the way the game handles color palettes means that it doesn't work as well here as in Awakening. But then, everything about the kids is half-assed.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Got a suggestion for Tae, since at the current rate it seems that we'll never get through all the supports: Why not show two full support chains at a time, at least for the married units?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'll get through all the supports, because I have a third game that's there to pick up anything left remaining.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

I'll get through all the supports, because I have a third game that's there to pick up anything left remaining.

You sure? I mean, it's true that we're nowhere near the end of the LP, but on the other hand we're about to get the first of three more massive influxes of characters, with all the support options that implies, and we haven't even finished with the C-ranks we've already got yet. Between that and the sheer number of support options available per character (times 3 ranks per combination, plus 1 per male-female combination with some margin of error), I'm just not confident that there'll actually be time for them all.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I've just spent the weekend reading this LP (which is great, btw), but now I'm really confused. So, Corrin isn't actually blood related to neither Nohr nor Hoshido royalty... does this come up in the actual story, outside of those support conversations? Or are those support conversations compulsory? I have no experience with Fire Emblem games, and I got the impression they're something optional, but I could be wrong.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
I think it just comes up at the route choice, and that's regarding the Nohr family. Not sure if it comes up later in the story, but the supports are definitely optional, so I'm not sure how it handles it if it does come up later.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Black Feather posted:

I've just spent the weekend reading this LP (which is great, btw), but now I'm really confused. So, Corrin isn't actually blood related to neither Nohr nor Hoshido royalty... does this come up in the actual story, outside of those support conversations? Or are those support conversations compulsory? I have no experience with Fire Emblem games, and I got the impression they're something optional, but I could be wrong.

Wait and see. Saying anything else would be too spoilery at this point; I am not allowed to confirm or deny whether it's anything more than an excuse to S-rank with your siblings.

That said, all supports are completely optional, yes. You can only have one S-rank though, for obvious reasons, but generally you can pick any opposite-gender support partner for the rank (and this game allows you to select one same-gender partner for each unit other than the Avatar for A+ rank, but those don't even have to be reciprocated- say, Kaze A+ with Silas, who is A+ with Ryoma).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Takumi's back, which is surprising for a map with a relatively small deployment chapter.

Getting to the Dragon Veins that fill water for the outside moat is important to block off the ground soldiers. The fliers will be taken out by...a surprise amount of archers on the team now.

Rinkah takes out the lone healer since the mages literally can't harm her.

I'm getting really confused about all this HP gain. Her growths as a Dread Fighter aren't better, she's just getting luckier.

Scarlet finally going all out now that the rest of the army has caught up to her.

Of course, she's making sure she's still the best.

You never really notice how many classes have bows as secondary weapons until you're forced to vary it up.

Apparently Mechanists just throw the arrows really hard?

The upper-right is kinda sad. Bunch of unpromoted archers and a promoted Priestess.

Mozu chips in for her final level which is...well, a level's a level as long as it's not empty?

Now that's a Rinkah level.

Sitting on the bench hasn't diminished Takumi being a wrecking ball, and he's making up for lost time.

Azura: I'm going to sing and dance and support my fellow allies

Thread: Get in the front lines

I really, really like the change to guaranteed dual attacks.

Eh, I mean you are strong for someone that isn't close to promoting. And technically Ryoma will never see daylight again here so....

Oh god, I forgot the one promoted enemy up there only has a healing stave. I over committed way too much there.

Master of Arms is yet another weapon triangle control class, with great skills. The plus side is that it has some of the best attack animations for Hoshido.

Merchant is more defensive and has a gimmick that potentially makes it one of the best classes, but there's plenty of opportunity to see it later on.

Mozu might actually use all those swords eventually, since Silas can't carry all of them and Rinkah frankly doesn't need anything past shurikens and the Bolt Axe.

While other lance users throw it over their head, Mozu tosses it in a fancy underhand.

Kaden is trying very hard to be a physical tank.

Well her HP is laughably low and her strength is considerably mediocre when you factor in what her strength growth is.

Only standout stat is skill, which is not good. incredibly balanced otherwise with....defense as his second best stat??

You know you're too strong when someone with triple power can't even kill you in two turns.

Felicia kills the boss like nothing because...because.

Nerf Felicia.

So here's the problem. My team is waaaaay too good at killing things. There's supposed to be reinforcements showing up every other turn from 8 to 15.

It's turn 6. And I'm not milking this map to its max because I don't need to. I'll just wait a couple turns while letting the archer live.

Hey, bro! I don't know.
It's plain as the nose on your face. Can't you see it over there?
Huh? See what? Where?
I dunno, my nearsighted brother. Maybe I mean that dragon yonder?
Who'd name a dragon Yonder?!
No, you addle-brained baboon. I mean that dragon way OVER yonder.
Why didn't you say so? Dragons are like gods! We should catch it!
Yes. We'll make it our pet. A god on a leash! But let's proceed sensibly. We must pummel it to the brink of death. But what SHOULD we name it...?

I remember when these guys showed up in story chapters in previous games. Now they're regulated to marriage-linked sidequests. Times have fallen hard for those two.

I am not a fan of Fates rendition of these guys.

Eh, strength is needed at this point. That or speed. He's about as fast as Silas, which is not what you want to be if you're soloing so much.

Mozu, please kill him

Thank you.

Class Overview: Master Of Arms

Pair-up Bonus: +2 STR/SKL/SPD/DEF
Weapon rank: Swords (A), Lances (B), Axes (B)
Skills: (lvl 5) Seal Strength-After battle, enemy’s Strength -6
(lvl 15) Life and Death-During battles, damage +10, damage received +10

Solid pair-up bonuses, standard weapon triangle control, and a great skill in Life and Death for the super offensive style. I mean, Faires are awesome that give +5 power, so Mozu having Life and Death who then switches to a Sniper is extremely deadly for little risk.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Huh, so that's the Baby Dimension (tm) that I heard so much about. That's...hhhhuh. Seems like they were way too desperate to get a second generation of characters.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I leave for three days, I come back and we've taken a deep dive into stupid.

I suddenly don't regret finishing these games.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
I think Mechanists actually mount some sort of launcher in their puppet's mouth (spring-loaded, most likely, given the setting). I have no idea how they change the payload mid-battle.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, the Bandit Twins. Or, to be more accurate to this game's portrayal, the Extraordinarily Dumb Bandit Twins. And yes, this is technically their lone appearance in the main game. Their other appearances are in three other DLC maps, and one of those maps has them as background NPCs that deliver exposition on the DLC map and not units you fight.

On the flip side, these two morons have the highest base HP growths (115%!!) in the game if you bother capturing them. And they are apparently voiced by Travis Willingham (Lloyd) and D.C. Douglas (Llewelyn) of all people.

CptWedgie posted:

I think Mechanists actually mount some sort of launcher in their puppet's mouth (spring-loaded, most likely, given the setting). I have no idea how they change the payload mid-battle.
I would not be surprised if the head section pops open and the Mechanist replaces the weapons that way. Probably also involves the Not Feudal Japan version of a stripper clip, given how reload speed would be a priority on a battlefield.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Black Feather posted:

[probably-spoiler removed because I thought better]

Supports are optional but they're also really easy to get, especially if you're playing competently, since you raise support rates by having people fight next to each other and the fact that there are support conversations to see between battles is pointed out in the game interface.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Goddamn those Master of Arms animations are slickkk

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I didn't even know those two spawned in until I looked it up. I just don't get why they spawn in so late, or why they're so many reinforcements after turn 8. Either you're going to breeze through the map, because it's very small and easy, and you'll never see this event OR if you're having trouble (say if you're doing a solo class run and you're doing this map WAY too early) then the reinforcement spam is a massive dick move.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Camel Pimp posted:

I didn't even know those two spawned in until I looked it up. I just don't get why they spawn in so late, or why they're so many reinforcements after turn 8. Either you're going to breeze through the map, because it's very small and easy, and you'll never see this event OR if you're having trouble (say if you're doing a solo class run and you're doing this map WAY too early) then the reinforcement spam is a massive dick move.

Well, hypothetically, if your guys all have ridiculously high defensive stats but terrible offense, you might legitimately take long enough to clear the map that Dumb and Dumber (you tell me which is which) spawn. Kind of a big if, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah, I promoted her to that either Conquest or Birthright and I was like 'whoa, go Mozu!'

She's been turning out great in my Revelations playthrough.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

blizzardvizard posted:

Pretty much any promoted class that uses Naginatas have really cool animations.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

If you do this map at like Chapter 11 or 12, when you have almost no promoted units, you definitely run the risk of the reinforcements spawning forever, and having some Sniper spawning in the top left killing Kana because you weren't prepared for reinforcements from there :argh:.

Paralogues scale... weirdly. There tends to be a few fixed promoted enemies in most of them (especially the Birthright ones), so if you unlock a kid early (even without grinding, this one can be unlocked very fast by marrying Felicia/Jakob, for example), you'll run into very tough units. In this map, it's a few of the Falcon Knights and one enemy in each of the groups of four that is promoted, and they pack a serious punch to your early game squad.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
"We're going on a nine month maternity leave to the Babyrealms. See you all in a few days."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I always do the paralogues as early as I can, and it makes the early ones real hard, since the prepomoted enemies will always be there. On the other hand, they drop so much experience that it makes the middle chapters a ton easier.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Really, the goddamn dumbest part is the fact that literal pregnancy and birth can occur between chapters, like the one where you're running from Xander. I know it's intended to be gameplay/story segregation but god almighty is it terrible at it.

On the other hand, Master of Arms animations are sweet as hell. Spear Master gets some good ones too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So Kana is like the first real kid kid. Morgan was I think the youngest, but Kana's a few years younger below that.

Papa? I dreamed that I turned into a dragon!
Yes, well… You did, Kana.

Oh right, I forgot to show Dragon Kana. Just copy+paste her stats from when Corrin went Feral.

I did? For real? You look upset, Papa. I didn’t mean to do it, I only wanted to protect you! But I’m small. And I felt… useless. Then I felt myself get so angry. I heard a roaring in my head…
It got louder and louder, until I couldn’t hear myself thinking anymore. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to turn into a dragon. Am I in trouble now?

Corrin, you are a goddamn sucker

I turn into a dragon too.
What? Papa, you–?
Listen, Kana. I’m sorry that I haven’t visited you enough to explain… But I keep my power in control by using very special stones. You must too. Or else the dragon within may take over. Don’t be scared – you just need a stone. Azura has given me a stone that you can use. Carry this with you always.

But now that I can turn into a dragon… can I maybe travel with you?
I’m so sorry, Kana. But you’re too young. And my world is too dangerous.
No, Papa? I guess I can wait longer, but only if you promise to visit more often.
Oh… Of course. I promise. Cross my heart and hope to— Er, I promise—that’s all. And I’ll be sure to bring you a nice gift next time I come.

Why do you not visit her more. Time moves slowly within these weirdo dimensional pockets. You ain't gonna miss a war saying hi every once in a while.

Yeah… All right, Papa.
That’s my girl. Be good, Kana, and you keep hanging on to that stone! *leaves*
…Hmpf.
No, Papa. WAIT!

*Corrin runs back*

I… I know! That’s why I have to go with you! I’m depending on you too… to come back! And I never know if you’ll… if you’ll… If you’ll DIE and never come back! What if I grow old enough to leave here, but by then you’re gone?

Tiny child makes logical point

On the other hand, this is making me yearn for Noire sniffling again

Kana, I’m only trying to protect you! But if that’s how you feel… If it’s agony for you being here? That’s the last thing I want. Maybe… A

I need to explain all of this to my friends. You need to say good-bye to yours.

Wait, who....who else is there.

What, I get to come with you? Really?
Yes, really.
But, Kana, it’s a different world out there. It’s not a game – it’s scary. I’ll look after you. Still, are you sure you’re grown-up enough for this?

But I’m old enough to be a dragon. And my papa’s's one too.
Like father, like daughter. I guess there’s a lot we should catch up about.
Yes! I can’t wait!
Papa, I have to say one more thing before we leave.

Who gave you that bee bonet, seriously

Unit joined

Kana

Class sets: Starts as Nohr Princess, Samurai, Sky Knight
PSkill: Dragonic Heir-When user is equipped with a Dragonstone, they recover 15% HP at the start of their Turn

Growth Rates
HP: 52.5
STR: 55
MAG: 32.5
SKL: 50
SPD: 55
LCK: 52.5
DEF: 40
RES: 37.5

Kana is the second Dragonstone user in the party, and her PSkill in theory helps her be a stable tank. Unfortunately her mom's Hinoka which apparently tanked her defensive score. Nothing really exceptional here except maybe the speed, but strong growths.

As you may have noticed, Fates scales kids levels depending on story progression so they are effectively battle ready any time you get them, unlike Awakening which had them awkwardly start at level 10 always. The next kid will explain what happens past level 20.

Tae fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 20, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

There's a couple Beruka portraits in there.

Which are admittedly hilarious, but still.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I guess someone had to actually raise her, so she can't be the only one in that weird dimension, right...?
edit: I mean, unless you don't need to eat or drink to survive in there, and Corrin and Hinoka showed up only once in a while to teach her to walk and talk :psyduck:

(Also, you used Beruka's sprite instead of Kana's twice.)

Black Feather fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 20, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The gently caress happened there

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I always enjoy messing around with Kana's stats more than any other generation 2 kid. It probably helps that his/her baseline growths are so good that most parents will work.

Female Kana also has my favorite support in the game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Also, fun thing: compare Kana's level 20 stats:

With Corrin's:

She actually stacks up quite favorably. Admittedly, some of that might be due to your Corrin's horrible fear of his Def growth.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Kana was the only child i really used, her mom was Peri, idk what that does to her stats but she seemed pretty tanky

just wish she had gotten that cotton candy hair...

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I have a hard time finding a good niche for Kana, mainly because their growths are almost too balanced. Although depending on how you built your Corrin and who you married, Kana often makes a better Dragonstone user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Camel Pimp posted:

I have a hard time finding a good niche for Kana, mainly because their growths are almost too balanced. Although depending on how you built your Corrin and who you married, Kana often makes a better Dragonstone user.

Typically what I'll do is pick a parent first, and then fit Kana into a niche based on the growths they'll receive.

• Locked thread