Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Pants Donkey posted:

Trumpcare still has a penalty if you don't get insurance. I believe insurance companies can hike your premiums by like 30% for a year if you didn't have insurance the previous year.

Even better, the 30% rate hike applies if you don't have coverage for more than 63 days within the past year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

SeANMcBAY posted:

I love how college students are cowardly sensitive "snowflakes" yet also violent thugs in the minds of conservatives.

Theres gotta be a name for that fallacy...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Some conservative cartoonists are noting the crazy cold weather still happening. Others are noting the crazy warm weather. Clearly both mean Global Warming isn't a thing. :smug:

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009
maybe it's because even though there wasn't snowstorms in the sky they were still right about there BEING A SKY, dan. also, gotta love "scientists". climatologists are dietitians are anthropologists are dentists are archaeologists are chemists and all of those have the exact same margins of error, right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah, predicting the future is equally as easy as drawing conclusions about the past. Notoriously so, even. :rolleyes:

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dan's probably just mad that archaeology disproves a literal reading of the Old Testament, even most of the historical parts.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah, predicting the future is equally as easy as drawing conclusions about the past. Notoriously so, even. :rolleyes:

I wonder how Dan feels about all the doomsdayers claiming that the rapture is definitely going to happen this week and this time it's for realsies unlike the last hundred thousand times

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Remind me again, what was his view of things when the court would rule against Obama for some minor something?

gently caress off you fascist fanboy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Finally finished the Ramirez profile:
http://imgur.com/a/QrEjj

Still need the parody of his tea party / OWS comparison, and a few more AGCs.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Not sure how you pulled that off without your eyes glazing over and making the pod people screech, but bless you all the same.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Yeah that's a great overview and a great way to introduce him to people who don't follow politoons. Even had a few I hadn't seen before, like the vile "America's debt is like a grown man kidnapping a child" take. I think these albums should really be added to the artist overview in the OP so new readers can delve a bit deeper into them.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Just a shame it doesn't have his "in a pickle" cartoon, because that has got to be the worst-constructed political cartoon I've ever seen.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Theres gotta be a name for that fallacy...
It's called ur-fascism

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Xander77 posted:

Finally finished the Ramirez profile:
http://imgur.com/a/QrEjj

Still need the parody of his tea party / OWS comparison, and a few more AGCs.

Should probably label the Burger King one as an edit, otherwise it looks like he had a rare moment of self-awareness and mocked his own cartoons.

Also it's missing the Interstellar one which is my favorite DEBT cartoon.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Keiya posted:

Should probably label the Burger King one as an edit, otherwise it looks like he had a rare moment of self-awareness and mocked his own cartoons.

Also it's missing the Interstellar one which is my favorite DEBT cartoon.
Done. Swear I had Interstellar in there - imgur is pretty bad about uploading so many images at once.

Tenebrais posted:

Just a shame it doesn't have his "in a pickle" cartoon, because that has got to be the worst-constructed political cartoon I've ever seen.
Added. Feel free to let me know about any "essential" cartoons in this, or in future profiles.

So, tea party vs OWS edit, anyone?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Radish posted:

Nazi solidarity.

It's a little odd, since historically various fascist groups don't really hang together all that well.

And not enough of them hanged separately, for that matter.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Has anyone told Lester that the NEA helped fund the Vietnam War Memorial?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

.Edward Penischin posted:

He likes soldiers who didn't get killed.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
:perfect:

This made me smile almost as much as the dutch election results did. :v:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Xander77 posted:

Done. Swear I had Interstellar in there - imgur is pretty bad about uploading so many images at once.
Added. Feel free to let me know about any "essential" cartoons in this, or in future profiles.

My favorite Ramirez of all time was from the early Bush years, with one dinosaur announcing "hurr durr climate change is a problem" and another looking at it and thinking "you have a brain the size of a walnut."

It's probably not particularly remarkable except that it's one of the first political cartoons that I can remember.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Abyssal Squid posted:

My favorite Ramirez of all time was from the early Bush years, with one dinosaur announcing "hurr durr climate change is a problem" and another looking at it and thinking "you have a brain the size of a walnut."

It's probably not particularly remarkable except that it's one of the first political cartoons that I can remember.
http://www.commonsenseevaluation.com/2009/12/16/cartoon-of-the-day-how-dinosaurs-became-extinct/#sthash.D6BSGz2K.dpbs
?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Nope, it was only two dinosaurs, with the characteristic white halo separating them from the dense jungle background. This was back in 2001-2004. Good to know that he loves recycling this cartoon, too, though!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

.Edward Penischin posted:

It's worth remembering that when the Vietnam War Memorial was built, conservatives went apeshit. It was too unconventional and modern, too dark and depressing, and including the names of the dead put the focus exactly where they didn't want it: on how much America lost in that stupid war. And worst of all, it was designed by a young Asian-American woman! That's why they have a group of bronze soldiers and a flag near one end of the memorial -- because they had to add in a more traditional patriotic memorial element to calm down the wingnuts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

SSNeoman posted:

I'm seriously thinking of starting a thread about this dis-invitation thing. I can't believe what an overblown nothingburger this is.

"Ya see, just like you don't want your tax dollars going towards abortions, students don't want their tuition dollars going to Nazis."

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Selachian posted:

It's worth remembering that when the Vietnam War Memorial was built, conservatives went apeshit. It was too unconventional and modern, too dark and depressing, and including the names of the dead put the focus exactly where they didn't want it: on how much America lost in that stupid war. And worst of all, it was designed by a young Asian-American woman! That's why they have a group of bronze soldiers and a flag near one end of the memorial -- because they had to add in a more traditional patriotic memorial element to calm down the wingnuts.

Aren't the bronze statues the Korean War memorial right next to it?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Selachian posted:

*rushes into thread at top speed*

The memorialization of Vietnam is fascinating both in how it originally happened, and how conservative elements did their level best to make sure the war was remembered on their terms, as a heroic effort betrayed, with its heroes abandoned. As such, the wall was as you mention not initially popular but with the early-80s redefinition of the war in popular culture toward one much more focused on the imaginary abandoned POWs who never came home, the wall became much more attractive (much like the black POW/MIA flag, commissioned by the National League of Families back in the mid-70s) as a way to claim heroic victimhood status for the war by those who had most enthusiastically supported it during the event, and who had dug their heels in most stubbornly with regards to actually ending it. Particularly with the rise of the false but persistent idea of live MIAs being secretly held in Indochina, the wall was transformed from being a sober reminder of a misguided, pointless blunder that cost America so many lives, into a memorial to lost heroes waiting to be redeemed once Real Americatm remembers what it is to win again and gets its own back.

Edible Hat posted:

Aren't the bronze statues the Korean War memorial right next to it?

Those are nearby, but he's referring to these guys:

The Korean War Memorial is a bit more haunting, to go with the whole "Forgotten War" thing:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Trapezium Dave posted:

I like how the student clearly recognises Drunky Duck, skips waiting for the questions and goes straight to messing with him.

A lot of these comics read best that way.

Every time Drinky is addressing a graduating class, I picture the audience as the crowds in "The Life of Brian". He's trying to be serious with his pronouncement of "welease... woger!" and the audience is all there to laugh at him.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"The demons that haunt Theresa May's dreams – Chris Riddell on the mounting pressures facing the prime minister"

Sunday Telegraph:

Gordon Brown pushes 'patriotic' third option for Scotland after Brexit

Independent on Sunday:

Sunday Times:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Vietnam War memorial bugs me because it should also include the Vietnamese dead.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Vietnam War memorial bugs me because it should also include the Vietnamese dead.

Welcome to the wonderful world of propaganda.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm sending framed prints of this post to all of my relatives.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cloud Potato posted:

Independent on Sunday:

With a motherfucking Flash Gordon movie reference? That's amazing.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

A large and intentional part of Vietnam memorialization is the appropriation of suffering/victimhood for use in rehabilitation those who inflicted it in the first place. :ssh:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A large and intentional part of Vietnam memorialization is the appropriation of suffering/victimhood for use in rehabilitation those who inflicted it in the first place. :ssh:

Pretty sure there wasn't a single conscript responsible for sending troops into Vietnam, or for using KDR as a benchmark for success.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Abyssal Squid posted:

Pretty sure there wasn't a single conscript responsible for sending troops into Vietnam, or for using KDR as a benchmark for success.

Neither are they the ones being rehabilitated, except as mute, anonymous symbols of a heroic effort betrayed by peaceniks and commies.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

the same could be said of all war memorials

well, 'cept the nazis, they can die nameless

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Neither are they the ones being rehabilitated, except as mute, anonymous symbols of a heroic effort betrayed by peaceniks and commies.

I thought we were talking about the Vietnam Memorial in DC, the black slab that lists the names of conscripts who died for the sake of a pointless war?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Abyssal Squid posted:

I thought we were talking about the Vietnam Memorial in DC, the black slab that lists the names of conscripts who died for the sake of a pointless war?

I was referring to Vietnam memorialization in general, within which the wall plays a large but not exclusive part. Though the original artist did not design it to serve the function I'm describing, the idea of "the wall as testimony to our victimization" has long since become embedded in rightwing consciousness and through them and the dedicated campaign in the 1980s they led to recast the narrative of Vietnam as one of American suffering, a part of the larger popular understanding of what the war was all about. Any mention of, you know, how the war actually went down and who exactly suffered the most (and at whose hands) would threaten this narrative, thus my mention how the Vietnamese get intentionally left out of Vietnam War memorialization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

• Locked thread