Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Good to know that my avoidance of it paid off.

I might be really harsh, but it's an Indie Game. It's worth 20,tops.

Its worth even less if you don't like Piano Only OSTs and the fact that it's tileset is the most limited thing (snow overworld, ice caves, ruins snowy forest, snowy town, empty snowy field)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So how is World of Goo? I saw the eShop trailer with a billion "GOTY" quotes, but what game can't bolster that?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So how is World of Goo? I saw the eShop trailer with a billion "GOTY" quotes, but what game can't bolster that?

It's an 8-year-old physics puzzler indie, mostly involving using limited resources to build bridges and towers in various situations. I enjoyed it on the ipad but not enough to buy it again.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I might be really harsh, but it's an Indie Game. It's worth 20,tops.

Its worth even less if you don't like Piano Only OSTs and the fact that it's tileset is the most limited thing (snow overworld, ice caves, ruins snowy forest, snowy town, empty snowy field)

I had it on my steam wishlist as a thing to keep an eye on, but I still haven't finished Bravely Second or Xenoblade Chronicles so I've got enough JRPG backlog that anything that's not even worth the current price of admission is way, way down on my to-do list.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 19, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Fair enough. That being said, I hope that the Setsuna Guys improve their next game, with a bigger budget and all. Setsuna did well enough I think.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mahoning posted:

How do you handle analog trigger usage in games like Super Mario Sunshine if you're using the Switch Pro Controller that has digital triggers? You're literally completely changing the gameplay.

I know that's only one example but it's also Nintendo's #1 franchise so it's kind of important to think about.

Make the right trigger a full press and map the halfway down position to the left bumper, a button that didn't exist on Gamecube.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

No wireless headphone support is some weak poo poo

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I beat Zelda. Now where is Animal Crossing?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

a.lo posted:

Why did you have to go and make me depressed?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Animal Crossing coming out for switch pretty much guarantees I will never do any work again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

a.lo posted:

if nintendo is smart about it they won't have animal valley come out anywhere near stardew valley

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Is Pikmin 3DS still coming out?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just realized they could port every title from the Wii U to the Switch with very little effort except for Super Mario Maker.

The vast majority of Wii owners who skipped the Wii U would have like 20 dope as gently caress new games to play.

(This is, after all, the core premise behind Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If they were smart they would

So...

:allears:

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Can we talk about I'm Setsuna?

I have not heard a single good thing about Setsuna and I still want to try it just out of curiosity. It sounds like just another bad indie game preying on dumb nerds who have nostalgia for 90s games. The only good Chrono Trigger thing to come out in the past 10 years was the DS port.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Just realized they could port every title from the Wii U to the Switch with very little effort except for Super Mario Maker.

The vast majority of Wii owners who skipped the Wii U would have like 20 dope as gently caress new games to play.

(This is, after all, the core premise behind Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)

the problem, at least in part, is that they were so obsessed with "DUAL SCREENS! PAD IN YOUR LAP!" that the only things that would be easy to port would be the games that ignored the mechanic entirely, or at least had a "move play to the pad" option inherent to the game.

I don't know how many of the games were like that, since I skipped most of them, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

the problem, at least in part, is that they were so obsessed with "DUAL SCREENS! PAD IN YOUR LAP!" that the only things that would be easy to port would be the games that ignored the mechanic entirely,

So most of them, then.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

iajanus posted:

So most of them, then.

Exactly. Zombi U and Super Mario Maker are the only AAA games that fully used both screens, and Zombi U has a PS4 port where the whole game pad function is just mapped to holding L1 then using the analog sticks.

In Mario Kart 8 the second screen was a horn for Christ's sake. In Mario U, Luigi U, and New 3D World it was just a map.

Mario Maker is literally the only Wii U title that wouldn't translate to the Switch because it's entirely touch pad based.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

iajanus posted:

So most of them, then.

if a lot of first party nintendo games ignored it then I'd be Very Surprised, given that nintendo seems to have a hard-on for forcing them in to show off the capabilities of the console or whatever

it'd be rad though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mario Maker is literally the only Wii U title that wouldn't translate to the Switch because it's entirely touch pad based.

You could still do it with having level editing be portable only.

It would still be way better than the 3DS version that was just a garbage fire.

if a lot of first party nintendo games ignored it then I'd be Very Surprised, given that nintendo seems to have a hard-on for forcing them in to show off the capabilities of the console or whatever

it'd be rad though

Most of the first party games did indeed ignore it or just used it as a menu.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 19, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

Most of first party games did indeed ignore it or just used it as menu.

The saddest thing is Zombi U was a brilliant proof of concept for a Metroid Prime game where you could seamlessly transition from shooting to scanning by raising the second screen.

Unfortunately Nintendo despises Metroid fans. :(

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Unfortunately Nintendo despises Metroid fans. :(

Fingers crossed that Bloodstained isn't the dumpster fire MN9 was (I'm intentionally avoiding all news about it so I can live in blissful ignorance)

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Exactly. Zombi U and Super Mario Maker are the only AAA games that fully used both screens, and Zombi U has a PS4 port where the whole game pad function is just mapped to holding L1 then using the analog sticks.

In Mario Kart 8 the second screen was a horn for Christ's sake. In Mario U, Luigi U, and New 3D World it was just a map.

But the Switch has a touchscreen so...?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Fuligin posted:

No wireless headphone support is some weak poo poo

Don't wireless headphone transmitters plug into a regular 3.5mm jack like normal, or did they somehow go out of their way to make it not work like they did with USB-C to HDMI cables?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm gonna use a cable while portable, and Bluetooth on my TV at home.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

pech posted:

My left joycon's battery is depleting way faster than my right one. Is that normal? I've just been playing Zelda.
It's kind of annoying

I would guess it's because the left joycon is getting more use as you move in game with the analog stick

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A lot of Wii U games do have small, gimmicky pad functions. For example, Mario 3D World had platforms that would move when you blew into the mic or touched them. Nothing insurmountable, but also something that requires a bit of extra work.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
A nice way to keep dock scratches in check: https://www.etsy.com/shop/activepatch

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Pro tip for pro controller users, hold the home button to turn the console on.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nolgthorn posted:

Pro tip for pro controller users, hold the home button to turn the console on.

I just tap it and it works fine?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Digital Foundry Blaster Master series retrospective.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4sGoZEQPlU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Just realized that a joy-con could make a really good small profile Android controller. I ordered one off Kickstarter one time and it wasn't very good. But this controller could be perfect

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just tap it and it works fine?

Not for me, I was standing up to turn on my console.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got the screen protector goons been recommending.

Got mine on easily, no bubbles. Touch sensitivity feels just as good. Now I feel confident about traveling with it, and docking it without having to be super slow and careful. Looks totally seamless.

Since it came with two, and I have an extra one, I can send it to a goon that has previously posted in this thread regarding their fine purchase.

edit: mailed to lucky goon.

MeatRocket8 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 19, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Steamworld 2 devs did an AMA
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5zqwmx/ama_im_julius_from_image_and_form_games_here_to/

Here's some interesting things I cherry picked from it.

quote:

Switch is incredibly easy to develop for. Lightyears ahead Wii U and 3DS. The dev environment is great even when compared to PS4, Steam and Xbox.

quote:

Can you rank the dev environments (ease of use, support etc.)? Best to worst for PC, PS4, XboxOne and Switch.

quote:

PC will always be the easiest but I'd say Switch is definitely up there.

quote:

Battery life of the Switch while playing SteamWorld Dig 2?

quote:

We're about to look into it. But I played an early build for more than fours hours straight and still had plenty of juice left.

quote:

Among your indie pals, what's the general perception of the Switch right now, and in the future? If you've spoken to any major developers, what's their's?

quote:

People LOVE the Switch. Nintendo's hit a home run!

Here's a biggy

quote:

When a developer completes a game and wishes to publish to Nintendo. How much time is between day of completion and publishing to the eshop or publish to physical carts?

quote:

It really depends on what game you're making. Now that Nintendo has embraced region-free publishing we save lots of time since we only need to submit one version of the game for the entire world (instead of multiple versions to cover all regions). It saves us months of paperwork!
Going digital only is certainly faster than getting the game out in physical stores. But not by much.

So if devs only have to submit one version, why the gently caress did I have to buy Isaac from the US store? :argh:

quote:

How do Nintendo treat you as Indie Developers?

quote:

They treat us like ROYALTY!

quote:

Do you think the Switch will do better in terms of third party compared to Wii and Wii U?

quote:

Better than Wii? Hard to say.
Better than Wii U? Definitely. Switch is bae.

quote:

How is the development process different for the Switch (vs. PC or other consoles) as it is not only a console, but an on the go portable console with detachable controllers?

quote:

It's a breeze to develop for. Truly modern and not too different from other platforms. At least on the surface. I'd love to go into detail but I wouldn't make the tech justice.

Looking like the Switch is going to have a lot of 3rd party support and devs are super happy with it.

Lack of 3rd party support was what really killed the WiiU, but it's sounding super promising on the Switch.
You buy a console for it's exclusives, that are backed up by 3rd party games. If your console doesn't have those cross-platform titles.. then that's a huge chunk of the market you're missing out on.

A Nintendo console with all the indie games that you'd normally find on PS4/Xbone?
Can't loving wait :allears:

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Speaking of headphones and comms, without wireless, how do you do comms when docked? I don't see a minijack on the pro controller.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I really liked it when I played it on PC eight years ago. No idea about this port or how well it holds up today. It is a physics puzzle game, but it's not the tired "put box on fulcrum to access a ledge" crap.

I did not like BOI. I find the x-treme offensive aesthetic distasteful. I also don't like the opaqueness of the game mechanics in a game as punishing as that one is. I think there's a good game in there, it's just not for me.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Infinitum posted:

So if devs only have to submit one version, why the gently caress did I have to buy Isaac from the US store? :argh:

Blame the publisher(s) not Nintendo

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The great thing about BOI is that you can wait to buy it when it inevitably drops to $12 in a few months or when an indie Humble Bundle comes out ala the 3DS and you get it with a few other games for $7.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BDawg posted:

Speaking of headphones and comms, without wireless, how do you do comms when docked? I don't see a minijack on the pro controller.

If "comms" is supposed to mean "voice chat," you don't.

Eventually it will work through their mobile app, I think, but really you should just use Skype or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

zenintrude posted:

Blame the publisher(s) not Nintendo

Especially with Isaac I'd say lean on the side of Nicalis loving something up.

• Locked thread