Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
It's basically https://scottscheapflights.com/. he did an IAMA here https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5p3l6g/im_scott_from_scotts_cheap_flights_here_to_help/

they're all scams. legitimate businesses if you consider sending public information and deals to people via email a value-added service that contributes to the economy, i guess

i don't.

if you're smart enough, there's an app that the President of the United States uses. combined with IFTTT, it can be a powerful tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobalbmi
Sep 25, 2000

Today is the day
I just booked round-trip LAX -> Barcelona flights on the new low cost operated by Iberia: http://www.flylevel.com/. $375 round trip in October ain't too bad.

Los Angeles is becoming a nice hub for low cost long-haul.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

if you're smart enough, there's an app that the President of the United States uses. combined with IFTTT, it can be a powerful tool.

don't keep us hanging like that, dude.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I'm looking at going from the Netherlands / Belgium to Beijing. Have to be in Beijing between July 1st / 5th, planning to return before July 22nd. Don't mind layovers if they aren't too long (looking at you, Ukraine Airlines).

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Jeoh posted:

I'm looking at going from the Netherlands / Belgium to Beijing. Have to be in Beijing between July 1st / 5th, planning to return before July 22nd. Don't mind layovers if they aren't too long (looking at you, Ukraine Airlines).

You see the same as I do. I looked out of BRU, AMS, DUS, and FRA for poops and giggles. Most reasonable is the non-stop out of BRU on Hainan for $819EUR. Everything else has crazy layovers and, honestly, that's not a bad price for PEK as it is a long way from BRU.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Mackieman posted:

You see the same as I do. I looked out of BRU, AMS, DUS, and FRA for poops and giggles. Most reasonable is the non-stop out of BRU on Hainan for $819EUR. Everything else has crazy layovers and, honestly, that's not a bad price for PEK as it is a long way from BRU.

Guess I'll wait for a bit to see what happens to the prices. Wish I'd booked last month (€409 AMS-IEV-PEK-IEV-AMS). Oh well.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Mr. Belpit posted:

Sorry, you're not smart enough

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

Sorry, you're not smart enough

:smug:

Mr. Belpit posted:

set up an IFTTT alert that pushes notifications to you if tweets contain a city that you're flying from

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Bobalbmi posted:

I just booked round-trip LAX -> Barcelona flights on the new low cost operated by Iberia: http://www.flylevel.com/. $375 round trip in October ain't too bad.

Los Angeles is becoming a nice hub for low cost long-haul.

Oakland also! I love low cost long-haul!

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I'm going from Seatac to Japan from 5/3 - 5/12 (end date can flex, but no later than the 12th). Cheapest airfare I can find uses Air Canada. Last time I flew with them, I remember hating it and telling myself to spend a little more to use a different airliner, but I can't remember WHY. Do you guys hate Air Canada? Can you refresh me on its terribleness?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As long as it's not Rouge (and I don't think YVR->NRT is) then they're not really worse than any other airline. They're certainly not great, but they're middle-of-the-road.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also because they consider French fluency more important for their flight attendants and customer service agents than considerations like "are you even remotely pleasant to deal with?"

But they aren't too bad, really. As long as you avoid Rouge.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
Aah, I looked it up and there's a YVR>KIX Rouge flight, which is where I went last year. That's probably what happened. Thanks so much! :)

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, Rouge is really bad. The rest of AC is decent, generally.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Anyone have any experience flying with TAP Portugal?

I want to fly Toronto to Bordeaux and then Madrid back to Toronto and found a flight with them for $250 less than any other airline; going through Lisbon obviously. The total was less than $700 which seems really good and everything else I saw was $900 or more. Am i going to be miserable flying with them on a 7+ hour trans Atlantic flight?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ColdBlooded posted:

I want to fly Toronto to Bordeaux and then Madrid back to Toronto and found a flight with them for $250 less than any other airline; going through Lisbon obviously. The total was less than $700 which seems really good and everything else I saw was $900 or more. Am i going to be miserable flying with them on a 7+ hour trans Atlantic flight?

No personal experience, but seatguru says they have above average seat pitch and width so it probably won't be too bad. To save that much, I'd take that gamble.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ColdBlooded posted:

TAP is often joked about to be an acronym for Take Another Plane. They're fine, certainly nothing special or dramatically worse than other carriers, and LIS is an ok airport. Their connection times can often be wonky but if the schedule meets your needs, go for it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

TAP is often joked about to be an acronym for Take Another Plane. They're fine, certainly nothing special or dramatically worse than other carriers, and LIS is an ok airport. Their connection times can often be wonky but if the schedule meets your needs, go for it.

Yeah, but there's a joke like that for almost every single carrier in Europe. Lufthansa? Hope you like strikes! Germanwings? Hope you like getting suicide bombed into a mountain! RyanAir? Hope you like experiencing holocaust cattle trains! EasyJet? Hope you like getting nickel and dimed! WOW airlines? More like UGH Airlines! LOT? More like NOT! British Airways? More like "we won't fly if we've heard there's snow somewhere in the northern hemisphere" airways! AliItalia? Hope you don't mind we lost your luggage and won't respond to customer service calls! etc etc etc.

I guess I've never heard anything bad about Virgin or Swiss, which somehow gets to avoid the constant strikes of Lufthansa despite belonging to it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 1, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I just booked a flight with TAP. I was considering buying their travel insurance for 10 euros, and actually read the conditions before I decided not to. I found this segment particularly amusing:

quote:

Article 5. – General exclusions
Under no circumstances are accidents that occur as a
consequence of the following covered by this Policy:
a) Any accident the cause of which is known at the time
the travel is purchased;
b) Accidents that are the direct or indirect result of
deceit, negligence or imprudence by the
Policyholder, or any fraudulent, dishonest or illegal
act or those contravening any government regulation
or prohibition;
c) Malicious acts, negligence by the Insured and selfinflicted
injuries or suicide or attempted suicide;
d) Nuclear reaction or contamination by nuclear
weapons or radioactivity;
e) Infiltration, pollution, contamination;
f) Earthquake, tidal wave, floods, volcanic eruptions,
volcanic ash, cyclones, falling of sidereal bodies,
meteorites or other natural catastrophes;
g) Epidemics, Pandemics, quarantine;

h) Financial insolvency or failure of a transportation
company, travel or excursion organiser, hotel or any
other supplier;
i) Travel arranged or carried out against doctor’s
orders;
j) Direct or indirect costs related to terminal sicknesses
diagnosed before this Policy was taken out;
k) Direct or indirect costs related to travel carried out
with the purpose of engaging in treatments,
consultations or medical examinations, regular
check-ups, rehabilitation sessions, healing, aesthetic
treatment or cosmetic surgery;
l) Expenses arising from mistakes or omissions in the
travel reservation;
m) Expenses of obtaining, modifying or renewing visas,
passports or any other documentation necessary for
carrying out a trip;
n) Accidents resulting from failure to fulfil indications
issued by official or government institutions due to:
i) Trips, including their possible postponement, with
destination in a certain country or geographical
area;
ii) Strikes, riots, adverse climate conditions, civil
unrest or contagious diseases.
o) Any act of war, civil or foreign, declared or
undeclared, civil disturbance or civil unrest, rebellion,
revolution, insurrection, acts of terrorism or
usurpation of power by military forces;
p) Nuclear reactions or contamination by nuclear
weapons or by radioactivity;

q) The entire effect of a biological or chemical sources,
substance(s), components or actions taken directly
or indirectly with the purpose of alarming or
destroying human life and/or creating public panic;
r) Consumption of alcohol, drugs and narcotics, except
those prescribed by a doctor and taken as indicated;
s) Psychological, mental or nervous disorders,
including depression, anxiety or stress;
t) Accidents for which the appropriate action has not
been take to prevent or minimise the risks covered by
this Policy.

Falling of sidereal bodies?? Infiltration?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

So what is covered? If the flight attendant stabs you?

twoday
May 4, 2005

No, that falls under q.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

peanut posted:

So what is covered? If the flight attendant stabs you?

It looks like they cover sudden illnesses or "normal" weather incidents like snow delays, although it's possible that they would consider snow falling in Lisbon to be "natural catastrophe". I wonder why "sidereal bodies" is different from meteorites. It also seems like if you die between buying the ticket and your trip, they'd refund the ticket to your next-of-kin.

That's a pretty hilarious policy.

twoday
May 4, 2005

D and P are the same

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

i fly airplanes posted:

It's basically https://scottscheapflights.com/. he did an IAMA here https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5p3l6g/im_scott_from_scotts_cheap_flights_here_to_help/

they're all scams. legitimate businesses if you consider sending public information and deals to people via email a value-added service that contributes to the economy, i guess

i don't.

I do not have the patience to sift through flight deals all the time. I subscribed to the Scott thing after his AMA, and it's the best $39 I spent this year. I just got back from Tokyo yesterday, with a nonstop R/T flight for $600/ea.

I also employ a guy to mow my lawn, which is a scam, because I could just as easily do it myself. In fact, almost everything I pay someone to do, I could do myself.

The Scott thing saved me a couple grand, easy, on this trip to Tokyo. I could subscribe for 20 years and still not be taking a loss. If you are into good flight deals, he is really personal with his service and relentless in looking for flight deals.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, Rouge is really bad. The rest of AC is decent, generally.

lmao I just landed in SFO and I received a voicemail from Air Canada about an important change to my flight. I'm expecting the worst.

I'm doing RDU->YYZ->YVR->KIX.

I'm expecting to get nailed to the wall and completely boned. Maybe Chase will go to bat for me. lol

e: lol the YYZ -> YVR flight no longer exists ahahahahaha
e2: chase ULTIMATE REWARDS is ultimately telling me to go fly a kite to the tune of ~$1200 or so :toot:

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 4, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright, since the planets aligned and me flying Air Canada Rouge isn't in the cards (lol), need an opinion on a segmented flight to LAX. This Delta flight is tagged as being 30 minutes delayed, but 3.5 hours in LAX is more than enough buffer right?

On the return flight, it lands at LAX at 11:45am and the connection back home is 1pm... we both have Global Entry and TSA Precheck, but I only have heard horror stories about LAX so I don't know if that's cutting it a bit too close. There's a 2:20pm flight out that's $65 more expensive.

Plan is to take Delta RDU <-> LAX and Japan Airlines LAX <-> KIX.

Tom Hanks.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
If you bought a ticket and they cancelled the flight, the airline should refund your ticket, so I'm not sure I quite understood your first post.

3.5 hours is way more than enough time to transfer Domestic-International in LAX unless you get some exceptional nonsense like those 12 hour check-in times that Chicago had last Easter.

I probably wouldn't pay extra for the 2:20pm flight, since if you miss your 1pm flight, they'll normally put you on the 2:20pm (or a subsequent flight), unless you really have to be back that evening for something important.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

How is Norwegian for longer or intercontinental flights? I'm looking at flying Dublin to NYC, and Norwegian is literally half the price of Aer Lingus. I've heard mixed things but is it really that bad?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The Schwa posted:

How is Norwegian for longer or intercontinental flights? I'm looking at flying Dublin to NYC, and Norwegian is literally half the price of Aer Lingus. I've heard mixed things but is it really that bad?

Differences between major European national carriers are pretty trivial and mostly boil down to what the specific plane is used for your flight, unless you care about rewards or lounges or whatever. And even then I think they're mostly on the same alliances. Mainly just ask yourself whether you'd rather have the extra money, or the extra time and reduced hassle from getting a direct rather than a layover in Oslo.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Fair enough, thanks! I'm not limited as far as time goes so I'll probably opt for the cheaper flight.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Saladman posted:

If you bought a ticket and they cancelled the flight, the airline should refund your ticket, so I'm not sure I quite understood your first post.

3.5 hours is way more than enough time to transfer Domestic-International in LAX unless you get some exceptional nonsense like those 12 hour check-in times that Chicago had last Easter.

I probably wouldn't pay extra for the 2:20pm flight, since if you miss your 1pm flight, they'll normally put you on the 2:20pm (or a subsequent flight), unless you really have to be back that evening for something important.

Yeah, they refunded me points/cash for the first itinerary. So bullet dodged on Air Canada Rouge for ~10 hours.

I've never done multi-segment/2 round trip tickets, and I've only heard horror stories about LAX. If Global Entry and TSA Precheck at LAX was anything like SFO, I figure everything will go super smooth.

For reference, the United RDU->SFO->KIX ticket is $1900ish. Delta RDU->LAX is $470, LAX->KIX is $950 ($1420).

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saladman posted:

Differences between major European national carriers are pretty trivial and mostly boil down to what the specific plane is used for your flight, unless you care about rewards or lounges or whatever. And even then I think they're mostly on the same alliances. Mainly just ask yourself whether you'd rather have the extra money, or the extra time and reduced hassle from getting a direct rather than a layover in Oslo.

Norwegian is not a national carrier, has no lounges and doesn't belong to any alliance. Food is BoB, luggage costs extra, even on long-haul.

But I'd take it over Aer Lingus because seat comfort is about the same or better.

edit: they apparently have contract lounges for Premium (comparable to Premium Economy btw) passengers

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Norwegian is not a national carrier, has no lounges and doesn't belong to any alliance. Food is BoB, luggage costs extra, even on long-haul.

But I'd take it over Aer Lingus because seat comfort is about the same or better.

This is kind of why I wondered :ohdear:

e: didn't see your last sentence. The half as much is even factoring in buying luggage allowance. Norwegian it is!

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Schwa posted:

This is kind of why I wondered :ohdear:

I've had nothing but positive experiences on Norwegian short haul. I never pay for seat selection but usually manage an exit row seat at the airport and planes are new and on time with free WiFi.

Haven't tried long-haul, but given that I generally don't eat plane food in economy it's probably not a bad option.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Geriatric Pirate posted:

My bad, I got them confused with SAS. Food is BoB even on long haul? That should be illegal.

E: Though if I have the choice between a LCC and a national carrier in Europe, I would still not pay more than a few extra % to get the national carrier. I've never taken a long-haul LCC, but the only difference I've noticed between, say, EasyJet and Swiss is that flying Swiss you get a little chocolate square. I'm only 5'9'' though, so I don't usually have issues with pitch and don't look it up before buying tickets. The only time I've ever noticed it was on Colombia's LCC (Viva Colombia) which has the smallest, most ridiculous pitch I've ever seen.

Actually, do any LCCs even fly trans-Atlantic besides Norwegian? And WOW I guess (if Iceland to the US counts as trans-Atlantic).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 5, 2017

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Saladman posted:

Actually, do any LCCs even fly trans-Atlantic besides Norwegian? And WOW I guess (if Iceland to the US counts as trans-Atlantic).

I guess there's LEVEL, IAG's other other LCC. There's also a whole class of non-flag carrier 'leisure' airlines of the Air Canada Rouge and Air Transat type, which if not as cheap as true LCCs are at least as, if not more, uncomfortable.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Looking to fly to Auckland, NZ from Newark for my honeymoon later this year. Dates are a little flexible and would be something like November 15/16 - December 3/4. Seems like the round trip ticket will be around 1500 with a single layover in LAX or SFO. Any tips or suggestions for this route? Do I have a prayer of finding a cheaper fare with one layover? Seems like I should book in the next month or so.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

That doesn't seem unreasonable, though there are people here who might be able to help you out. Feel free to come ask for tips in the NZ thread.

E: Air New Zealand also flies direct from Houston now if that helps you

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah that seems pretty good for going to New Zealand in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

spoof posted:

I guess there's LEVEL, IAG's other other LCC. There's also a whole class of non-flag carrier 'leisure' airlines of the Air Canada Rouge and Air Transat type, which if not as cheap as true LCCs are at least as, if not more, uncomfortable.

Eurowings by the Lufthansa Group. Then there's XL Airways, and a whole host of other charter airlines like Thomas Cook, Condor, TUI Fly.

photomikey posted:

I do not have the patience to sift through flight deals all the time. I subscribed to the Scott thing after his AMA, and it's the best $39 I spent this year. I just got back from Tokyo yesterday, with a nonstop R/T flight for $600/ea.

I also employ a guy to mow my lawn, which is a scam, because I could just as easily do it myself. In fact, almost everything I pay someone to do, I could do myself.

The Scott thing saved me a couple grand, easy, on this trip to Tokyo. I could subscribe for 20 years and still not be taking a loss. If you are into good flight deals, he is really personal with his service and relentless in looking for flight deals.

A rhesus monkey can literally set up a twitter alert. If you can't do that for $39 I can't imagine you having very marketable skills.

Saladman posted:

E: Though if I have the choice between a LCC and a national carrier in Europe, I would still not pay more than a few extra % to get the national carrier. I've never taken a long-haul LCC, but the only difference I've noticed between, say, EasyJet and Swiss is that flying Swiss you get a little chocolate square. I'm only 5'9'' though, so I don't usually have issues with pitch and don't look it up before buying tickets. The only time I've ever noticed it was on Colombia's LCC (Viva Colombia) which has the smallest, most ridiculous pitch I've ever seen.

There's more to the equation than just on-board service. There's also reliability (what happens if the flight is canceled?), frequent flyer benefits, baggage allowances, and so forth. For some people, it's also a matter of perceived safety and familiarity with the brand.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 7, 2017