Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Imperialist Dog posted:

The book is Mao's Great Famine by Frank Dikötter. It's very readable and well researched.

oh sweet HKPL has a couple copies and I have a 5-hour flight tomorrow

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

They ought to, he teaches at HKU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

oohhboy posted:

mental health issues are often hereditary

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks for being a dick.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Never change China thread

Also

https://twitter.com/StickboyBangkok/status/843070449709793280

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Can't tell if that's authentic or it's ripping off that advertisement in India.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

oohhboy posted:

Thanks for being a dick.

thank you for being concise for once

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

oohhboy posted:

Tale of two Siblings

During one of my visits with Popo she decided it was a good time to blow off some steam regarding family issues, namely my Sister's situation.

My Sister had been living in Hong Kong for about 1.5 years by the time I made my visit. Mom had bait and switched/pressured Sister into staying in Hong Kong when there was no plan of any kind causing everybody to scramble to get her situated. Sister had declined accommodation from Popo or any of the family friends initially, couch surfing from one new friend to another from her earlier visits

Eventually she did stay with family friends and was even offered a pretty cushy job teaching a pair of primary school kids English that paid quite well. Popo blamed Sister's tongue stud, but Sister lost the job. She has been hopping from job to job since.

Even from NZ I had heard some of the troubles Sister went through, so when Mom turned to me and ask me to go to Hong Kong for a visit I said no. She even gave me the whole "You will find better jobs and opportunities there and the economy is great!" and offered airfare. I would tell her that is not a plan and it is all very backward pointing to Sister's situation and that I was functionally illiterate there. This went on for 6 months. You might have noticed both Mom and Aunt are very persistent once they latch on an idea regardless of how stupid it is.

Popo told me that she was worried sick the entire time and was extremely happy I came to visit as Sister didn't. When you go visit Popo you get Dim Sum which is a pretty good reason to go and it is a very easy way to pay filial respect with some easy phrases. Sister was likely driven off by Popo's rightly but excessive worrying.

Had she played along and accepted family's hospitality she would have had a much easier time. She is now almost completely dependant on BIL having burned her savings, student loans are calling and worryingly detached from family in HK.

As a finisher she didn't teach BIL any Cantonese greetings when he first arrived which is an inexplicable move.

TL;DR Don't move/go to another country without a plan or goal beyond not dying.

This is actually readable, concise and interest for once. So good on you.

---

So just for kicks I looked at rent prices in Hong Kong, as I always heard they're one of the highest world-wide. And holy moly are they high! It looks like 1500-2000€ for 50m² is pretty much the norm, that is pretty much what I earn a month after taxes. How do people afford to live there? Do jobs pay ridiculously well or something?

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Sheep-Goats posted:

It was at least possible to have a discussion about that kind of stuff in 1800.

One of my brothers has called me racist a few times now because I find this thread so interesting and occasionally pass along stories from it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Imperialist Dog posted:

During the Great Leap Forward all citizens were divided into city workers (jumin 居民) and farmers (nongmin 农民). Also registration got changed to matrilineal so if you were a poor woman farmer who married someone with city registration, you and your children were still condemned by the state

To be

Nongs
If I run around calling people "filthy ju's" outloud, they would totally not believe I am calling them "city slickers."

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I wish my call number was DIK, too.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\

Son of Rodney posted:

This is actually readable, concise and interest for once. So good on you.

---

So just for kicks I looked at rent prices in Hong Kong, as I always heard they're one of the highest world-wide. And holy moly are they high! It looks like 1500-2000€ for 50m² is pretty much the norm, that is pretty much what I earn a month after taxes. How do people afford to live there? Do jobs pay ridiculously well or something?

No. My salary is OK by Canadian standards, I make double the median income, and the only reason we have a livable flat is because we borrowed a poo poo ton of money during a lull in the market many years back.

Most people live with their parents, or in flats like this:

https://youtu.be/qKf08vWTkKA

And that's still better than cage homes.

Hong Kong's government is literally controlled by property developers. Sky-high prices are in their interest, not ours.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't know about "most" living in places like that.

Illegally subdivided housing is a big thing, but there's usually a bit more space than that.

I know when I was looking you could get just shy of a hundred sqft for 5-6000 hkd in Causeway Bay, that had its own toilet with shower hanging over it, and a single kitchen unit with single hotplate. Other furniture not provided, of course.

And when I was buying furniture it was also sometimes from subdivided places, around LaiChiKok, they had a kingsize bed and a wardrobe, plus a little bit of floorspace. Shared pantry style kitchen (between 3 or 4) and iirc 2 shared showers. Not sure what that cost but it wasn't as bad as King Cube.

My mainland coworkers used to share flats. Other HK people with low level office-drone-type jobs tend to live with their parents or round where I'm from some even get village land or a floor of their parents' house, but that isn't the norm.

The norm seems to be to almost 100% live with parents til you're gonna get married, then get a massive mortgage over 50 years (standard UK mortgage term is 25 for reference, but you tend to increase your mortgage as you buy bigger houses as you earn more or have kids or just buy bigger when you move for work etc). Mortgage deposit comes from parents and wedding money, plus usually savings (only started when marriage starts getting planned. Young HK people are generally not habitual savers).

Then for the massive mortgage, usually both husband and wife work. Kids are usually a bit later, and usually only 1, sometimes 2.
People here tend to move house a lot less than the West, I'd say, once they've bought. They tend to shove all their poo poo in storage. Storage is massive business here. One advert's premis was a woman begging her husband for a bigger house, then a guy he meets at a bar tells him just to store his poo poo, so he does, but bar guy was a storage guy all along! Then now their house seems bigger wifey wants a baby. This was not done as hyperbole, sven though some of it was played for laughs. Genuinely the message was that storing your poo poo makes your home seem bigger so you can grow your family.

Renters move a lot because landlords don't do contracts longer than 2 years, by and large, and jack up the rent stupid amounts. They'd rather have a property sit empty than lose face by negotiating or maybe lose face by charging less than their landlord buddies? Idk.

But I would say about 350-600sqft is the norm, and depending on the area can cost from around 8k hkd per month all the way up to 30k hkd depending on location. If you have to live near brown poor people, it's cheap. Sea view is more expenive, even if it's only if you stand on your toilet and cock your neck. HK island is the most expensive.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 19, 2017

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Goddamn, that is stupid expensive, but I guess unavoidable seeing as HK doesn't really allow big residential expansion. I did a report on noise pollution in HK while studying and it was crazy densely populated already.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

oohhboy posted:

Tale of two Siblings

During one of my visits with Popo she decided it was a good time to blow off some steam regarding family issues, namely my Sister's situation.

My Sister had been living in Hong Kong for about 1.5 years by the time I made my visit. Mom had bait and switched/pressured Sister into staying in Hong Kong when there was no plan of any kind causing everybody to scramble to get her situated. Sister had declined accommodation from Popo or any of the family friends initially, couch surfing from one new friend to another from her earlier visits

Eventually she did stay with family friends and was even offered a pretty cushy job teaching a pair of primary school kids English that paid quite well. Popo blamed Sister's tongue stud, but Sister lost the job. She has been hopping from job to job since.

Even from NZ I had heard some of the troubles Sister went through, so when Mom turned to me and ask me to go to Hong Kong for a visit I said no. She even gave me the whole "You will find better jobs and opportunities there and the economy is great!" and offered airfare. I would tell her that is not a plan and it is all very backward pointing to Sister's situation and that I was functionally illiterate there. This went on for 6 months. You might have noticed both Mom and Aunt are very persistent once they latch on an idea regardless of how stupid it is.

Popo told me that she was worried sick the entire time and was extremely happy I came to visit as Sister didn't. When you go visit Popo you get Dim Sum which is a pretty good reason to go and it is a very easy way to pay filial respect with some easy phrases. Sister was likely driven off by Popo's rightly but excessive worrying.

Had she played along and accepted family's hospitality she would have had a much easier time. She is now almost completely dependant on BIL having burned her savings, student loans are calling and worryingly detached from family in HK.

As a finisher she didn't teach BIL any Cantonese greetings when he first arrived which is an inexplicable move.

Thanks for updating us!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Housing developments actually happen, and they happen on a big scale. Take LOHAS park as a prime example. Crazy big, on semi-reclaimed land, near a landfill, opposite a cemetary. Sold like hotcakes. Most flats are sold off-plan so you can save a bit and the developer can get the capital to actually build the thing. Land sells for billions, because each of the thousands of flats sells for millions of hkd.

Off plan saves a little, but it's so popular developers do lotteries and people queue all day to try to get the chance to buy. So young couples live with their in-laws until their flat is built.

The public housing list is years long.

So there is massive building just not nearly enough

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Btw I'm talking about standard quality houses. I think I was the last post in the last thread before it was shut down, talking about luxury housing, which is a whole other ballgame and boggles the mind, if anyone wants to look it up.

E: I was wrong, it was like 3 threads ago, and I wasn't last.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759608&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=257#post458675282
Can't quote because thread's closed.

drat we get shut down a lot

simplefish fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 19, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My sister lives in one of those 30 sqm apartments. I have seen photos of it before hand but you really don't understand until you get there. It's pretty good if it's just one person but with 2 the 100% utilisation joke stop being one.

Public housing is quite good if you can get it, a BIG if. The place I stayed at has about 3 - 4 time the area for 3 people and the living room is a massively under utilised. My room was more than 3 times the size of the coffin rooms which was plenty for me.

Like everywhere else the Boomers were able to get on the property ladder with no problem while pulling up the ladder with them.

I was able to see a luxury apartment shared by 3 people, it was bigger than your average house in NZ. The living room was intentionally left open just to show off the space. Like almost everywhere else the outside hallway looked like that video and the edifice is an after thought as this was in Kowloon.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nucken Futz posted:

TBF, I never got Banned for typing Nong

So far

sincx only posts in china d&d now, go drop it in the China d&d thread and watch the fireworks go

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Public housing is quite good if you can get it, a BIG if. The place I stayed at has about 3 - 4 time the area for 3 people and the living room is a massively under utilised. My room was more than 3 times the size of the coffin rooms which was plenty for me.

I think it depends. My wife's uncle lives in public housing, it's less than 400sqft for him and his wife. Also the corridor is outdoors and is bare concrete. But the rent is certainly way lower than on the private market. Still, you can lose your right to public housing on a 3 strikes and you're out policy. Neighbour saw you drop a cigarette butt in the courtyard and reported it? That's a strike. I mean littering is bad but I don't think it should be 1/3 of the way to losing your home.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

simplefish posted:

I think it depends. My wife's uncle lives in public housing, it's less than 400sqft for him and his wife. Also the corridor is outdoors and is bare concrete. But the rent is certainly way lower than on the private market. Still, you can lose your right to public housing on a 3 strikes and you're out policy. Neighbour saw you drop a cigarette butt in the courtyard and reported it? That's a strike. I mean littering is bad but I don't think it should be 1/3 of the way to losing your home.

Once you've been booted can you get back on the waiting list or are you just homeless forever?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

2 year ban before you can apply again to be on the 4 year wait list (and I assume that figure includes needy groups in its averaging, if you are young and fit and childless I imagine it's far longer)

E: plus I wouldn't be surprised if your bad record holds you close to the bottom of that list

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Also the waiting list to see someone public for depression or anxiety (with a referral) is 2 years. Good luck not killing yourself in the meantime!

The HK Government likes to boast about its surplus but it's only because they don't spend on the public services

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 19, 2017

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
HONG KONG:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/DevotedFrighteningAmericanblackvulture.webm

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

How do people afford to live there?

HK$3,800($487)/MO., HONG KONG:

HK$5450($760)/MO., HONG KONG:

http://i.imgur.com/CAaZO32.gifv

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 19, 2017

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
For reference, the flag of the Republic of China is illegal on the mainland.

https://twitter.com/stegersaurus/status/843362336756789248

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Here's where those first images came from: 100 photos of 100 sq ft rooms.

Sample:

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
We have billions in government surplus and not a penny for the poor.

In China news,

SCMP posted:

Some public toilets in Beijing are using facial recognition technology to stop toilet paper theft, the Legal Evening News reports.

At the Temple of Heaven, one of the capital’s busiest tourist sites and a former hotbed of toilet paper kleptomania, a user in need of tissue paper must stand in front of a wall-mounted machine with a high definition camera.

The device’s software remembers recent faces, and if the same a person reappears within a certain period, it refuses to activate the automatic roller.

The current setting per person is 60cm of paper within nine minutes.

For years many residents have been taking reams of paper from public toilets for use at home. Recently, mainland media outlets investigated the phenomenon and found most of the tissue bandits were senior citizens.

Such behaviour has placed a considerable financial burden on public toilet management. Sometimes a newly replenished roll can disappear within a minute, leaving other users an empty holder.

The Temple of Heaven management said they also provided old-school rollers because not all visitors were accepting the new technology.

The facial camera required a user to remove their hat and sunglasses. It prompted concerns about infringement of privacy, and the face recognition processing time, which is only meant to be three seconds, sometimes takes more than a minute, which is an added frustration for someone who is in a hurry to use the loo.

The smart toilet paper machine has prompted quite a discussion on mainland social media. Most people agree that the behaviour should be stopped.

But a few said the public shouldn’t get too wound up over the issue.

“The cheap paper in public toilet contains lots of toxic materials such as fluorescent agents. Excessive use will only damage their health,” said a user on WeChat.

http://m.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2080272/elderly-chinese-toilet-paper-thieves-face-their-crimes

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Imperialist Dog posted:

No. My salary is OK by Canadian standards, I make double the median income, and the only reason we have a livable flat is because we borrowed a poo poo ton of money during a lull in the market many years back.

Most people live with their parents, or in flats like this:

https://youtu.be/qKf08vWTkKA

And that's still better than cage homes.

Hong Kong's government is literally controlled by property developers. Sky-high prices are in their interest, not ours.

God life outside of scandinavia sucks balls

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

His Divine Shadow posted:

Unfortunately my chosen career path means I need to work in places with awful education systems. :(

Did anyone have to do a Famous Explorer project when they were a kid? Go to the library, find two or three books about the person, write a rough draft, second draft, make a cool cover? I'm making my students do something similar and the other teachers are amazed. They've never encountered anything like it. Lessons I sat through a quarter century ago in Canada are considered revolutionary here.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You ask kids to do a rough draft, they will write something with intentional spelling mistakes and then the final draft is them fixing them. Also outlines are mythical creatures.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

Don't worry, if we keep electing the right we'll be just as bad as the rest in a few decades. :)

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
"What's for dinner?"
"I cleaned my aquarium today, so..."

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am the stir fried instant noodles with fine strips of Spam.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Tale of two Siblings

I didn't actually read this because lol ooohboy post but this at least had decently sized paragraphs so good job

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
In Japan I used to live in a 10ish sqm dorm style room with a communal kitchen, baths, and toilets. For one person it really wasn't bad at all. There were some people who lived two to a room, though, and there were some (loud) Chinese university students who lived 3 to a room. There were three Chinese guys and three Chinese girls. I lived on the first floor. Almost every night I could hear the Chinese girls in a second floor apartment a few rooms down yelling about something. Not like arguing yelling, excited yelling like if you were at a sleepover with friends as a kid. I always thought "What the gently caress are they yelling about? Goddamn." After a few months the semester was over and they moved out. Later I saw signs in the common area that said something like "Please do not host late night mahjong games in your rooms." It all clicked. "Ooooh. I see."

Edit: Also shut up about spam. Goya champuru is goddamned delicious.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 19, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Dr.Radical posted:

In Japan I used to live in a 10ish sqm dorm style room with a communal kitchen, baths, and toilets. For one person it really wasn't bad at all. There were some people who lived two to a room, though, and there were some (loud) Chinese university students who lived 3 to a room. There were three Chinese guys and three Chinese girls. I lived on the first floor. Almost every night I could hear the Chinese girls in a second floor apartment a few rooms down yelling about something. Not like arguing yelling, excited yelling like if you were at a sleepover with friends as a kid. I always thought "What the gently caress are they yelling about? Goddamn." After a few months the semester was over and they moved out. Later I saw signs in the common area that said something like "Please do not host late night mahjong games in your rooms." It all clicked. "Ooooh. I see."

Edit: Also shut up about spam. Goya champuru is goddamned delicious.

If it was anything like that Japanese anime where world leaders play mahjong I can understand why they were so excited.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

oohhboy posted:

I am the stir fried instant noodles with fine strips of Spam.
Don't talk poo poo about Spaghetto, mang.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Grevling posted:

If it was anything like that Japanese anime where world leaders play mahjong I can understand why they were so excited.

hahahah

quote:

"Senkaku Islands Bloody Battle" arc

A challenge is issued to Japan to send five mahjong greats to the disputed Senkaku Islands, where a mysterious "red box" is threatening the safety of nearby fishermen. The ruling DPJ does not want to get involved in the controversy for fear of angering their Chinese masters, to the point of sending ninja assassins to try to kill Sanada, who desires to sail to the islands to investigate. Eventually, in the face of falling public support, the DPJ strikes a deal with the LDP to call an election early, which the LDP wins and promptly sends the MJ-13 to the Senkaku Islands. There they discover an abandoned Kuznetsov-class aircraft carrier being overtaken by Red Guards, and a preserved Mao Zedong inside the dreaded "red box". Mao challenges Japan to five mahjong matches, with each of the 5 main islands of the Senkaku Islands being the wager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

My students would always go on about how Bruce Lee was a great Chinese person do you know him he is very faymurs, but if he was from Hong Kong doesn't that mean he's actually British?

• Locked thread