Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So, I just went back as 9S and triggered the Emil boss fight. I haven't done Lunar Tears quest so did I gently caress this up or if I beat him can I still go back to an old chapter later and get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Manatee Cannon posted:

you have to talk to him by the desert first or he'll never move from there

Yeah no, I've bought stuff from him at the desert entrance, I've went and found dozens of weapons and stopped him a few more times for good measure. Dude just really loves the desert and won't fuckin' leave.

Emil you're makin it hard for me to keep lovin ya dude.

E: Should we be spoiling his name? I mean he was in trailers and stuff.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

So, I just went back as 9S and triggered the Emil boss fight. I haven't done Lunar Tears quest so did I gently caress this up or if I beat him can I still go back to an old chapter later and get it?

it doesnt matter

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah no, I've bought stuff from him at the desert entrance, I've went and found dozens of weapons and stopped him a few more times for good measure. Dude just really loves the desert and won't fuckin' leave.

Emil you're makin it hard for me to keep lovin ya dude.

E: Should we be spoiling his name? I mean he was in trailers and stuff.

I know a whole lot of people didn't watch any trailers to avoid spoilers so better be safe than sorry

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm still working toward Ending C and I just got to the Resource Node and welp, IS THIS GAME TURNING INTO STELLA GLOW?!

"It is an ancient language, known as Angelic."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stella Glow is super super good people should play it after completing this super super super good game.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
There is a specific song from this game I am trying to find the name of. It sounds just like City Ruins (Rays of Light), but is much slower and doesn't have an instrumental track (it's vocal only). It isn't City Ruins (Shade). Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still working toward Ending C and I just got to the Resource Node and welp, IS THIS GAME TURNING INTO STELLA GLOW?!

"It is an ancient language, known as Angelic."

It's nice that they finally acknowledge the series use of Angelic alphabet but it just makes me question why the machines specifically use it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

There is a specific song from this game I am trying to find the name of. It sounds just like City Ruins (Rays of Light), but is much slower and doesn't have an instrumental track (it's vocal only). It isn't City Ruins (Shade). Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Does the Jukebox not allow you to select this variation?
If not, it's probably hard to find on YT at this time.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Forgive me if this has been asked, but the thread is many pages long. What would be the better edition, PC or PS4? Not really console war inciting, but more concerns about port quality. Sometimes JRPGs have all kinds of PC baggage. Also my RX480 occasionally shits the bed with some of the poorer optimized games like AC:Unity (what a shitshow, at least I donated to charity so some good came for somebody).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Steam has the 2h refund window for that, but if you're really concerned just get it on PS4, that's the lead dev platform and it's fine even on a standard PS4.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

unlawfulsoup posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked, but the thread is many pages long. What would be the better edition, PC or PS4? Not really console war inciting, but more concerns about port quality. Sometimes JRPGs have all kinds of PC baggage. Also my RX480 occasionally shits the bed with some of the poorer optimized games like AC:Unity (what a shitshow, at least I donated to charity so some good came for somebody).

The port is the definition of mixed bag and people are getting issues across the board or not at all on similar rigs, but if you don't get those issues, the PC version is definitely best, as is the general rule of gaming.

If you're willing to pay a bit more for Steam price instead of GMG or something, I'd probably suggest getting it on Steam and refunding within the time limit if it doesn't work well for you and then getting it on PS4 instead. PS4 version is perfectly fine as a whole though.

There's a list of issues here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/600scm/nier_automata_pc_issues_megathread/

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The port is the definition of mixed bag and people are getting issues across the board or not at all on similar rigs, but if you don't get those issues, the PC version is definitely best, as is the general rule of gaming.

If you're willing to pay a bit more for Steam price instead of GMG or something, I'd probably suggest getting it on Steam and refunding within the time limit if it doesn't work well for you and then getting it on PS4 instead.

There's a list of issues here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/600scm/nier_automata_pc_issues_megathread/

It's a shame but I'm not really surprised at all that the steam version is having issues. They never did fix that weird rear end HDMI issue for Revengeance PC afaik, so I've only ever been able to play it full screen without that weird refresh rate/resolution issue on my laptop. It's kinda why I'm hoping they bring Revengeance to PS4, and why I didn't get Nier on PC.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I recall reading in here I think that there's an unofficial fix for that HDMI issue on Revengeance but I had it too and it's unplayable with it. I used RadeonPro at the time to force it to use the correct refresh rate etc etc so I could ultimately play, but it wasn't ideal.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Is it only possible to unlock shops for A2 after you beat Hegels? That seems like a huge pain in the rear end
Also as A2 can you talk to the valley machine at all? I know it glitches out sometimes and you can't talk to it when you normally should, but as A2 I don't know if it's intentional

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

dasmause posted:

Is it only possible to unlock shops for A2 after you beat Hegels? That seems like a huge pain in the rear end
Also as A2 can you talk to the valley machine at all? I know it glitches out sometimes and you can't talk to it when you normally should, but as A2 I don't know if it's intentional

Yeah, have to beat that first boss. At least with Resistance Camp stores, didn't try others.
You can talk to the machine in the valley as her. Are you sure you didn't aggro the machines on the other side of the cube? Can't talk to NPCs when aggroed.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

You can talk to the machine in the valley as her. Are you sure you didn't aggro the machines on the other side of the cube? Can't talk to NPCs when aggroed.

Nah, when machines are aggroed your character is in a combat pose and prompt is crossed out. In my case prompt is there but it disappears when I press O

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seems buggy, then. That sucks.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

unlawfulsoup posted:

PS4 is reliable, PC isn't quite.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Any idea if the names of the Shi-type bosses are references to anything? Initially I figured they might be some kind of Japanese wordplay (like ko-ro-shi) but I'm not so sure about the specifics.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Music owns. I never played Nier, but i listened to the soundtrack, and i quickly recognized the music when you flee out of the desert at the start as a musical throwback. Boss music also owned. This cannot continue.

So i got a mail a while back to go back to the Tutorial area and fetch my stuff there, but how/when can i actually do that? I don't see a way back there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Any idea if the names of the Shi-type bosses are references to anything? Initially I figured they might be some kind of Japanese wordplay (like ko-ro-shi) but I'm not so sure about the specifics.

I've read that they're supposed to be references to philosophers such as Confucius by way of their Japanese pronunciations but I don't get it because I'm dumb, but that's the start of the bread crumb trail for you.

HenryEx posted:

Music owns. I never played Nier, but i listened to the soundtrack, and i quickly recognized the music when you flee out of the desert at the start as a musical throwback. Boss music also owned. This cannot continue.

So i got a mail a while back to go back to the Tutorial area and fetch my stuff there, but how/when can i actually do that? I don't see a way back there.

Hop up on to the highway using the truck. You can do it as soon as you get to the City Ruins. Use the launcher attack for extra air (Jump and immediately press Heavy Attack) if you think you're ever coming up short when traversing areas.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Nina posted:

I think Ko-Shi and Ro-Shi are Kong Fuzi and Laozhi, respectively. No idea what Boko-shi and So-shi are supposed to be.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

I've read that they're supposed to be references to philosophers such as Confucius by way of their Japanese pronunciations but I don't get it because I'm dumb, but that's the start of the bread crumb trail for you.

Hop up on to the highway using the truck. You can do it as soon as you get to the City Ruins. Use the launcher attack for extra air (Jump and immediately press Heavy Attack)

Well the names of all the other bots are references to philosophers, so that would be consistent with the naming scheme

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Well the names of all the other bots are references to philosophers, so that would be consistent with the naming scheme

Yep, the philosopher's part isn't the confusing part to me, my brain is just having problems reconciling how Ko-Shi becomes Kong Fuzi, if Beefstew's idea is correct, comes to pass. Just me being dumb, I think.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Oh, is there any way to get lock-on to, well... stay locked on? It's immensely distracting to have to re-press the lock-on button every time my current target dies instead of lock-on just jumping to the nearest enemy instead.
I already put the lock-on on a face button, cause it was too clunky on a trigger to have to push it repeatedly.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Apparently somehow the Chinese "mo" is "boku" in Japanese and Boku-Shi is this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi

E: Got it So-Shi = Zhuang Zhou (or Zhuangzi), Boku-Shi = Mozi, Ro-Shi = Laozi, Ko-Shi = Confucius (or Kong Fuzi). What they all have in common is that these names come from titles that contain "master" in some form as far as I can tell.

Nina fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 19, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Oh, is there any way to get lock-on to, well... stay locked on? It's immensely distracting to have to re-press the lock-on button every time my current target dies instead of lock-on just jumping to the nearest enemy instead.
I already put the lock-on on a face button, cause it was too clunky on a trigger to have to push it repeatedly.

I don't think so, no.
On the plus side, the game is built around not needing to use it so if you want to get used to not using it, it shouldn't impact you too much.

Other than for those snake bastards.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's kinda funny to think that getting Ending E will become really tough in the future when less people are playing the game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does the Speed Star side-quest give you anything good? That's the one side-quest I really cannot be bothered to do.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Jack Trades posted:

Does the Speed Star side-quest give you anything good? That's the one side-quest I really cannot be bothered to do.

It just gives you some items and chips. Nothing really unique.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

It's kinda funny to think that getting Ending E will become really tough in the future when less people are playing the game

There's basically no chance that the first person to get Ending E soloed it, so I'm pretty sure there's going to be a fail safe here, assuming "uploaded" saves are actually deleted when you take a hit.

Jack Trades posted:

Nothing super significant but it's not that bad.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

There's basically no chance that the first person to get Ending E soloed it, so I'm pretty sure there's going to be a fail safe here, assuming "uploaded" saves are actually deleted when you take a hit.

Yeah there's a good chance there are generated "NPC" helpers too. It'd be pretty great if it was finite but this is the fairest Taro game yet so that's probably not the case.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Yeah basically no way it actually works like that Besides the first person problem, there's the fact that generally people get hit more often than they delete their files. Mathematically you'd run out sooner than later. Or a troll could purposefully get hit many times.

and... well, I got hit twice (...and then some) and it actually said the same person's files got deleted twice. I mean it could have been two people with the same name but it was fairly unique so I doubt that. e; or an npc helper I guess?

Oh, uh, speaking of I said no to delete my save the first time because I wasn't done yet, but now I'm good n ready but I don't know how other than doing the E credits again. Is that right?

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 19, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

A part of me is a bit sad there's nothing in the game that's just straight up mean like Drakengard 3's final notes of the rhythm game final boss happening during a dialogue cutscene with no visual cue whatsoever

But it's also cool accessibility meant a lot to them.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah basically no way it actually works like that Besides the first person problem, there's the fact that generally people get hit more often than they delete their files. Mathematically you'd run out sooner than later. Or a troll could purposefully get hit many times.

and... well, I got hit twice (...and then some) and it actually said the same person's files got deleted twice. I mean it could have been two people with the same name but it was fairly unique so I doubt that. e; or an npc helper I guess?

Oh, uh, speaking of I said no to delete my save the first time because I wasn't done yet, but now I'm good n ready but I don't know how other than doing the E credits again. Is that right?

pretty sure you have to redo it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Who spiked Emil's morning cereal with coke? Boy needs to calm down.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Maybe a stupid question, but do the items that say "can be sold for money" have any other use? I'm not selling something that can also be used for upgrades or quests, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Veotax posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but do the items that say "can be sold for money" have any other use? I'm not selling something that can also be used for upgrades or quests, right?

Nope, sell em.
Worth noting that the later you get in game, some things go up in sale value so if you have no urgent need, you may wanna consider holding on to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

The lockon is lovely. Like, intentionally lovely, to encourage you not to use it. If you shoot while locked on, your bullets spray wildly towards the target. It you just aim at the target, they shoot in a focused stream.