Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

alf_pogs posted:

the queen turns a cool self-contained weird lifecycle into an annoying chicken-egg question. all cos james cameron just wanted to see alien but bigger

it's the coolest alien so uh i think he did pretty good. plus you can't do the power loader scene with some normie xeno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's the coolest alien so uh i think he did pretty good. plus you can't do the power loader scene with some normie xeno.

you have me there

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The design was loosely based on a Giger painting too:

I don't think it's possible to do a 1:1 practical design from that nightmare but you can see parts of the queen in there. I never noticed before that it kinda looks like it's sitting on an egg sack, although who knows what Giger intended that to be (if anything).

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Apparently the next Alien movie will be a prequel to Covenant :psyduck:

quote:

Recently, Scott said he could continue making Alien movies as long as there's an appetite for them, and that the next film is already written. We tried to ask him just how many were on the books now, and we warn you that the following may be a bit spoilery...

"There will be another one before we kind of literally and logically, clockwise, back into the rear back head of [the original] Alien," he said.

We asked Scott what the timeline looked like -- would it be Prometheus, Covenant and then this next movie before we arrive at the events of the original Alien. That's when the answer became a bit foggy as it appears he slips in the title for another movie we haven't seen yet and positions it between Prometheus and Covenant.

"It will go Prometheus, Awakening, Covenant.. fairly integral where this colonization ship is on the way...."

Waterston cut in again to stop Scott from spoiling any more information. "You're giving away too much!" she screamed. "But yes, there will be more after this. I think that was the question." To which Scott replied, "If this is successful, and then the next one, and then there will definitely be three more."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
AAAHAHAHAHA that rules.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

do the xenomorphs have genitals. is the queen born preggers.

I always assumed it was parthenogenesis

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

the queen turns a cool self-contained weird lifecycle into an annoying chicken-egg question. all cos james cameron just wanted to see alien but bigger

The Queen was also important to Cameron's themes of motherhood.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bring on all Ridley Scott alien movies forever.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

The Queen was also important to Cameron's themes of motherhood.

v oedipal

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
"Ridley, loving what?"

"You heard me. The Notebook, with Xenomorphs."

"Christ...Here, take the check and get the gently caress out of my office."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Scott said he wants to bring Russel Crowe back for another Gladiator movie, but it may not be Nick Cave's Maximus v Jesus Dawn of Christianity though.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The Alien Queen is not real. It is considered C cannon. Barely above fan fiction.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Apparently the next Alien movie will be a prequel to Covenant :psyduck:

Haha this series is going to be a mess

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Leavemywife posted:

"Ridley, loving what?"

"You heard me. The Notebook, with Xenomorphs."

"Christ...Here, take the check and get the gently caress out of my office."

I'm not against this!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Professor Shark posted:

Ridley likes to start in the middle and then spiral out of control.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Professor Shark posted:

Bursting forth from his mind like a horrific Lovecraftian Athena.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

Scott said he wants to bring Russel Crowe back for another Gladiator movie, but it may not be Nick Cave's Maximus v Jesus Dawn of Christianity though.

I'm sure we can mix those two somehow.

Somehow.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Given how Scott made Blackhawk Down, I'd sort of want to see his take on Aliens.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well today i saw logan (v enjoyable) and immediately beforehand copped the trailers for life and alien cov. the xeno on the spaceship exterior looked great. i like gyllenhal and even ryan reynolds sometimes, but cast against ridley's bonkers space opera horror, it looked like a sad fart

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There was an Alien game for the PS1 I think (not Alien Trilogy) that was one of the first games to require the dual shock controller. I forget the name of it but I remember really liking the atmosphere of it and the graphics but, back then, I couldn't get the hang of the 3d controls and the dual analog stick interface.

Seems stupid now since very game uses it but when the double analog sticks first came out it was really hard to adjust to them. I also remember the game being very hard, even on easy setting, but again I recall that having more to with not being able to work the controls.

I guess it was Alien: Resurrection but that doesn't sound right.

Saw the trailer yesterday during Logan and it looks pretty good I have to admit. I'm a little concerned about how many name actors there are which I'm concerned may take me out of the film. Danny McBride, for instance, is just being Danny McBride again. I like him but I worry his schtick will be too much and detract from the tension.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best alien game is the first level of the alien tc (total conversion) for doom.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
No one mentioned the alien 3 game for SNES.

Edit : my local arcade just picked up the aliens game from way back when. I spent tons of money on it as a kid.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

There was an Alien game for the PS1 I think (not Alien Trilogy) that was one of the first games to require the dual shock controller. I forget the name of it but I remember really liking the atmosphere of it and the graphics but, back then, I couldn't get the hang of the 3d controls and the dual analog stick interface.

Seems stupid now since very game uses it but when the double analog sticks first came out it was really hard to adjust to them. I also remember the game being very hard, even on easy setting, but again I recall that having more to with not being able to work the controls.

I guess it was Alien: Resurrection but that doesn't sound right.

Saw the trailer yesterday during Logan and it looks pretty good I have to admit. I'm a little concerned about how many name actors there are which I'm concerned may take me out of the film. Danny McBride, for instance, is just being Danny McBride again. I like him but I worry his schtick will be too much and detract from the tension.

You're definitely thinking of the Alien Resurrection game, that was the first FPS to use the now-common dual-thumbstick control scheme.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best alien game is the first level of the alien tc (total conversion) for doom.

This.

It's difficult to describe how groundbreaking this was at the time. You know how many games today have a first area with no enemies in it and just world building stuff so you can organically walk around and get use to the controls? I think this may have straight up been the first FPS to do that. It was also the first FPS to have seriously vast levels, like they'd break the vertical limit of the engine and you'd get a moire effect at points but oh my god I'm literally taking the elevator into the lower level of the atmospheric processor from Aliens and able to look around at all of it in all its glory. And that the creator (Justin Fisher?) got so many scripted voice samples from the movie too to trigger when you walk into/by key parts of the game? Amazing.

The only flaw in Aliens TC is that the aliens themselves are kind of murky and washed out looking, but that was the best you could get with one person rolling with 3D Studio Max at the time.

But even a lot of the official alien games from the 90s have, pathetically, bad looking aliens. Probe's Alien 3 games for sure, they all look like crap except on the totally awesome SNES version, Alien 3: The Gun, and (somehow) on the Sega Master System.

They don't look so good in the PSX Alien Resurrection either. Like with those early 90s Alien 3 games they sacrificed the quality of the characters for having nicer scenery.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I maintain that Xenophobe for the NES is the best Alien game.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Just read up on the various Alien3 scripts, and that Eric Red script... :stare:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kulkasha posted:

Just read up on the various Alien3 scripts, and that Eric Red script... :stare:

Does it have a lot of vehicular homicide in it?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does it have a lot of vehicular homicide in it?
No, but it does have chicken and pig xenos!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, bit of a departure for Red then

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Alien TC's opening level was amazing for its concept. The only downside is that I'm pretty sure I played it on the wrong version of Doom; I remember a lot of the hive level having weird buggy geometry that I had to enable noclip to walk through. I'm pretty confident AvP2's first Marine campaign level being really tense and full of movement that triggers your motion tracker but (IIRC) devoid entirely of enemies was a solid nod to Alien TC.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

UmOk posted:

Based on the proportion of my gaming quarters it got, I have to concur.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

John Carter somehow takes straight ahead simple pulp scifi and makes it mostly inscrutable.
I still kinda love it, but I know that's mostly due to loving the source material, Willem David, and seeing several of the Rome cast in it.

It's the ships. They did not hold back much when it came to production design.

Also the heroine was a faaaaantastic actor. The movie should have been more about her.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

UmOk posted:

Ummm I think you'll notice that the *chuckles* "xenomorph" on the cover has EYES, and, if you were paying attention, those were butt-huggers attacking the character, not face huggers. Obviously this game has nothing to do/garners no inspiration from the Aliens franchise!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

This.

It's difficult to describe how groundbreaking this was at the time. You know how many games today have a first area with no enemies in it and just world building stuff so you can organically walk around and get use to the controls? I think this may have straight up been the first FPS to do that. It was also the first FPS to have seriously vast levels, like they'd break the vertical limit of the engine and you'd get a moire effect at points but oh my god I'm literally taking the elevator into the lower level of the atmospheric processor from Aliens and able to look around at all of it in all its glory. And that the creator (Justin Fisher?) got so many scripted voice samples from the movie too to trigger when you walk into/by key parts of the game? Amazing.

The only flaw in Aliens TC is that the aliens themselves are kind of murky and washed out looking, but that was the best you could get with one person rolling with 3D Studio Max at the time.

But even a lot of the official alien games from the 90s have, pathetically, bad looking aliens. Probe's Alien 3 games for sure, they all look like crap except on the totally awesome SNES version, Alien 3: The Gun, and (somehow) on the Sega Master System.

They don't look so good in the PSX Alien Resurrection either. Like with those early 90s Alien 3 games they sacrificed the quality of the characters for having nicer scenery.

Isn't the very first AV:P game literally inspired by the Aliens TC of Doom?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mayberry it's because I was young, but the first marine level of the 1999 PC AVP game is probably the scariest and most tense video gaming level

Does it hold up in 2017?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Jaguar game? It was released earlier in 1994. That game actually has a more primitive engine than Doom. Aliens TC was extremely influential in the gaming industry, though, and I don't doubt that nearly everyone in the industry back in the 90s played it. id Software actually looked into getting an Aliens license in the early phases of what would become Doom but they thought the price was too high. The concept they went with instead was "Aliens meets Evil Dead II."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Waffles Inc. posted:

Mayberry it's because I was young, but the first marine level of the 1999 PC AVP game is probably the scariest and most tense video gaming level

Does it hold up in 2017?
It's not the scariest level in the game (my money is on the Tyrargo, or perhaps the Atmosphere Processor) but it's still pretty goddamn great.

I'm super biased because I'm a huge fan of the Derelict design, and you get to explore that in the first Marine level and it's loving great. :haw:

I still really like AvPClassic, it's like $5 on Steam and very worth it. Yeah the graphics haven't aged real well, but the gameplay is tense as poo poo, the Aliens are stupid-fast and insanely powerful on higher difficulties, and the AI is so unpredictable that it lends a lot of replay value to the game.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

The Jaguar game? It was released earlier in 1994. That game actually has a more primitive engine than Doom. Aliens TC was extremely influential in the gaming industry, though, and I don't doubt that nearly everyone in the industry back in the 90s played it. id Software actually looked into getting an Aliens license in the early phases of what would become Doom but they thought the price was too high. The concept they went with instead was "Aliens meets Evil Dead II."

Huh, interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Definitely, quite a few FPS were heavily inspired by it and I don't think anyone would have attempted an AvP game at that point in time if not for it. That marine campaign in that AvP Jaguar is pretty different though and a little more like a very simple System Shock 1, but with more typical of the time levels, no vertical space, etc. For the time I liked the way they differentiated the three characters was cool. The marine goes back and forth around the different decks of the station getting keycards and finding progressively better weapons. The Predator has to worry about his score, he gets/loses varying amounts of points depending on how he kills enemies and how much damage he takes, and gets awarded the spear/etc. weapons when he's deemed honorable enough. The alien can use air ducts to crawl all over the place safely and can also cocoon dudes instead of killing them, which will ***morph them into an egg*** the most recent of which become's the player's checkpoint if they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

Definitely, quite a few FPS were heavily inspired by it and I don't think anyone would have attempted an AvP game at that point in time if not for it.
AvP on the Jaguar was released a few months before Aliens TC :v: